Zodiac

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

papabeard
David Fincher is directing serial killer movie "Zodiac", based on the real life Zodiac Killer , also set to star Mark Ruffalo, Jake Gyllenhaal and Robert Downey Jr, though it may be more about the journalists involved than the killer.

Factoid : The Zodiac Killer was featured in Dirty Harry and in The Exorcist 3 they based the Gemini Killer on him/her.

MildPossession
I have been looking forwards to this film for ages, can't wait till it's out to see.

Azrael01
Didn't they alread do a movie on him.

BackFire
Sounds promising, this story is right up finchers ally. Some good actors too, can't wait.

BREN
yeah thats right papa m8 the killer in dirty harry was called scorpio and brilliantly portrayed by andy robinson i thought,total psycho

Harry Callahan: Well, when an adult male is chasing a female with intent to commit rape, I shoot the bastard. That's my policy.
The Mayor: Intent? How did you establish that?
Harry Callahan: When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!

The Mayor: He's got a point.
dirty harry....what a movie! smile

papabeard
Thats one of my favourite quotes of all time. laughing

gls
heard bout this movie a while ago...though i'm not sure on how the story would go..since they never found the killer.
focusing on the journalists? sounds kinda boring to me..

BaronOBeefDip
Hmm, I remember hearing about the Zodiac Killer a long time ago, but I forgot a lot of the details. Could someone refresh my memory? And, wasn't the character John Doe in Seven inspired by the Zodiac Killer? I could be wrong though.

DeVi| D0do
Finally got a trailer!

- Hi-Res (32.8Mb) http://63.250.192.94/broot3/busshare12/yahoomovies/1/30249435.mov?StreamID=30249435
- HD 480P (46.1Mb) http://63.250.192.94/pub06root2/pub06share07/yahoomovies/7/30304313.mov?StreamID=30304313
- HD 720P (124Mb) http://63.250.192.94/bus01root5/bus01share20/yahoomovies/1/30304332.mov?StreamID=30304332
- HD 1080P (166Mb) http://63.250.192.94/broot2/busshare05/yahoomovies/14/30304349.mov?StreamID=30304349

Looks wicked! Fincher is back!

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/1386/zodiacsj4.jpg

redcaped
I thought it was about superman.

Strangelove
I like the trailer, the different choice of music for a thriller type of movie is refreshing.

Solo
Looks bland.

shugie99
This looks great!

Solo
David Fincher's Zodiac, is what I'm talking about. I saw it last night, great movie. It was very long, though. Fincher's second best, right behind Se7en.

Morning_Glory
Im looking forward to seeing this movie... smile

Originally posted by Solo
David Fincher's Zodiac, is what I'm talking about. I saw it last night, great movie. It was very long, though. Fincher's second best, right behind Se7en. I like Fight Club -- that was a good Fincher movie yes

Röland
Originally posted by Morning_Glory
Im looking forward to seeing this movie... smile

I like Fight Club -- that was a good Fincher movie yes

Solo
Fight Club was okay.

manorastroman
fight club was an amazing movie with lame source material.

§uffer§noopy
I liked the Zodiac, kind of long though but all of it was enjoyable. The stab scene with the couple was kind of brutal.

Solo
The gut shots on the woman was brilliant.

manorastroman
i have to say, for nearly three hours, this movie was quite the treat. with just a little more compression it could have been genius. there were a couple surprisingly funny bits, too, which i liked. the entire scene at the home of the fellow who ran the movie house was perfect...and yay for chloe sevigny.

SpaceMonkey
Excellent movie. Fincher's second best behind Fight Club.

Morning_Glory
Just saw it yesterday...loved it!

I liked how all the characters aged except for Jake Gyllenhaal ... he looked pretty much the same age all through the movie... but he did a good job

there was one part towards the end where Jake Gyllenhaal's character goes into that Hardware Store to look at Arthur Leigh... and the screen said "1983" but the calender behind Arthur Leigh said "Feb. 1980"...

Andrew McLeod
Wonderful movie. From a more mainstream point of view it was his best. Fight Club is one of those more...underrated movies. Not a lot of people have seen it. This is pretty big in terms of marketability. So, it'll reach a wider audience. And it can please a MUCH bigger audience than Fight Club or Se7en could.

Personally, I loved it. I wasn't expecting what I saw but what I saw was excellent.

Solo
Originally posted by Andrew McLeod
Wonderful movie. From a more mainstream point of view it was his best. Fight Club is one of those more...underrated movies. Not a lot of people have seen it. This is pretty big in terms of marketability. So, it'll reach a wider audience. And it can please a MUCH bigger audience than Fight Club or Se7en could.

Personally, I loved it. I wasn't expecting what I saw but what I saw was excellent.
You're kidding, right? No one has seen Zodiac compared to Fight Club or Seven. Fight Club being probably the most overrated movie of all time.

manorastroman
C'MON, GUY! fight club is an incredibly obsessive,propulsive piece of filmmaking. it's not fincher's fault that palahniuk believes in amateur dadaism, though it is his fault for picking the script.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Andrew McLeod
Fight Club is one of those more...underrated movies.

laughing out loud

Andrew McLeod
Seriously, you ask anyone who's not into movies a lot and they probably haven't seen it. Usually only people who really like to watch movies have seen Fight Club.

So...in this community, Fight Club is huge. But you poll like...random people on the street and the numbers will fall.

SnakeEyes
Not so sure about that.

At my school, nearly EVERY male teenager has seen Fight Club and liked it quite a bit. And I doubt every guy at my school is a movie-enthusiast.

Plus, most people ARE into movies. I don't know that many random people who don't enjoy movies quite a bit.

I see what you're saying, that this is a forum that specializes in movie discussion, but at the same time, movies are so damn popular that nearly everyone likes them and knows at least a decent amount about them.

Myth
I really liked Zodiac, but at the same time was kind of disappointed by it. I pretty much only had two problems with it.

First, they are really bad at hiding the killer. When he is sort of in the shadows you could tell he was a large balding man. Yet, he was pretty much the only man who fit either of those descriptions so when the cops met him, I was instantly like, "its him" before he even said anything.

Second, I did not like the ending. I know they were trying to stick to the case files, but it would have been better off had they fictionalized the ending some. Instead, they want to keep the actual details which made it real choppy. Example, after Gyllenhaal figured it out, it jumps ahead about 5 years and shows him eye to eye with the killer at the store. Then it jumps another ten years in the very next scene and shows the guy finger the killer in the photo. As I said, very choppy.

Solo
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
At my school, nearly EVERY male teenager has seen Fight Club and liked it quite a bit.
Pretty much.
Originally posted by manorastroman
C'MON, GUY! fight club is an incredibly obsessive,propulsive piece of filmmaking. it's not fincher's fault that palahniuk believes in amateur dadaism, though it is his fault for picking the script.
While I think it's good, it doesn't deserve it's reputation.

SpaceMonkey
Originally posted by Solo

While I think it's good, it doesn't deserve it's reputation.

Personally, I prefer that not many people like it.... or even get it, for that matter. I think it's a movie that was designed for a certain demographic and within that demographic a person with a specific state of mind. If you don't get it, then it's just not for you. No harm, no foul.

manorastroman
Originally posted by SpaceMonkey
Personally, I prefer that not many people like it.... or even get it, for that matter. I think it's a movie that was designed for a certain demographic and within that demographic a person with a specific state of mind. If you don't get it, then it's just not for you. No harm, no foul.

"get it"? it's not exactly dostoevsky's "notes from underground", if you catch my drift.

tmux
I read the book and did a bunch of research on the Zodiac Killer. This movie was to the "T" very well done. The only thing that was crappy about the experience for me was the movie theater in my hometown is very uncomfortable and I was going on 32 hours without sleep and trying to push yourself to watch a movie almost three hours long was hard especially when you knew the time line.

The only disappointing thing for me was I never spotted the penis in the movie my friends did but I didn't something that I am going to have to see next time.

-'tmux

BackFire
Very very good movie. Fincher made a very subtle, creepy and fascinating film here.

SpaceMonkey
Originally posted by manorastroman
"get it"? it's not exactly dostoevsky's "notes from underground", if you catch my drift.

I know what you're saying. Alot of people DO underestimate it though and think it's mindless. Again, I prefer the exclusiveness of it.

roughrider
Just saw it last night - could actually be the best film of the year, so far. Brilliant picture quality too; HD is looking better with every film that comes out.
Fincher can relate to this story, because he grew up near the bay area right when this rampage was starting, and parents worried about putting their kids on schoolbuses after Zodiac's threat.

roughrider
The DVD got released last week with zero extras. I'll rent it, but a deluxe edition is coming next year, even longer. I don't understand why we can't have it now...

SelphieT
I LOVED this film. Even though it was very long, I didn't notice how long it was until I left the theater. It kept me interested throughout the whole thing.

Heaven's Sword
I liked the film very much; it's a shame the director's cut is apparently coming out in '08.

kevdude
I might watch it, is it on dvd yet?? How would it rate 1-10 best??

SnakeEyes
Saw it last night.

Thought it was terrible.

SelphieT
Originally posted by kevdude
I might watch it, is it on dvd yet?? How would it rate 1-10 best??

Its a bit long, so you have to be interested in it. I'd rate it 8-9ish

papabeard
I thought this was very good also about 8/10. An intelligent and considered approach to the serial killer genre, and the scene where the couple are killed by the lake is chilling, never seen anything like it before.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.