Gravity on space ships

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

queeq
Does anyone get what's going on on the Invisible Hand when it starts turning twowrds Coruscant? We see R2 sliding down, Anakin and OB1 walking through a horizontal elevator shaft.

So far I've only seen that all SW space ships have artificial garvity (who knows what side is up when in space?). And here we see droids and people falling towards the side the ship is leaning to. Odd...

yerssot
it just made a need scene Lucas thought... he doesn't go and check on details eek!

queeq
Well, he should.

yerssot
he also should take a diet, but you don't hear people complain about that wink

LandoSpeeder2
Yeah, this has probably always been a flaw with space ships that have gravity in the movies.

Ken Kenobi
It's fantasy. Just remember the scene in ROTJ where the Star Destroyer "dives" into the second Death Star.

Maybe it's the inertial compensators going haywire and they tilt along with the ship. (my fanboy idea)

SithSpy
also, large explosions noise in space---shouldnt really happen also if you notice when anakin shoots out the hands hangar bay sheild, nothing gets sucked out. It's my firm belief these things we must just take as truths in a galaxy far far away

Ken Kenobi
Originally posted by SithSpy
also, large explosions noise in space---shouldnt really happen also if you notice when anakin shoots out the hands hangar bay sheild, nothing gets sucked out. It's my firm belief these things we must just take as truths in a galaxy far far away

Yes, the ultimate answer. It's not our galaxy...stick out tongue

yerssot
Originally posted by Ken Kenobi
Yes, the ultimate answer. It's not our galaxy...stick out tongue
:cry:
meanie!

darthmaul1
yes things were getting sucked out if you look closely and thats why the door closed after.
as for the ships gravity it was something wrong with the antigravity thingy that screwed things ups.

Darth Bong
What about the scene on the bridge of the Invisible Hand when Grevious breaks the window. It only took about a minute before Anakin and Obi-Wan were breathing oxygen again in the next scene, not to mention the fact that they woulden't be able to breathe while the window was open. smokin'

SithSpy
exactly and if you wanna get really technical the bridge incident would only happen like that if they were flying IN atmosphere in space if a window broke and they werent wearing any space suit the pressure release would immediatley explode their heads

Red Superfly
Star Wars ships seem to have artificial gravity.

You'd need an artificial gravity device in order to do this. The Invisible hand was trashed, therefore we can assume it's gravity drive was wrecked.

The planet's gravity took over instead.

darthmaul1
umm i don't think there heads would explode, it is the air escaping the bridge and blowing them into space, there could still be some atmosphere in there.

SithSpy
ohhh there heads WOULD explode trust me stick out tongue big grin laughing

queeq
I dunno. The spaceship in ROTJ could have had its steering screwed up because of the blasts. Doesn't have to be an Endor gravity thing, could be the gravity of the DS though...

As for the air being sucked out, when a window breaks it doesn't immediately make everything vacuum instantly, there's still oxygen being vented.

And for Coruscant's gravity "taking over" that is so odd.

So yes, it's a different universe, but we do learn certain laws of this universe through the films. And one is: spaceships have artificial gravity. Otherwise you would NEVER be able to walk in them.

Tulak Hord
Not necessarily, if the Emergancy Systems had enough time to kick in and seal off the bridge from the rest of the ship, the ES would have the window closed before all of the air escaped.

*The More you Know!*

queeq
Just my point.

LandoSpeeder2
Originally posted by SithSpy
exactly and if you wanna get really technical the bridge incident would only happen like that if they were flying IN atmosphere in space if a window broke and they werent wearing any space suit the pressure release would immediatley explode their heads And if you want to get even more technical, if GG could throw a metal poll and break the window, then surly the pressure would have broken the glass already it would seem. Even though GG could probably throw it very hard to break it having had cyborg parts, then he could have completely crushed Obi in the lightsaber battle (I'm not sure if this is all right since I haven't looked into it or anything, but that's what it would seem).

queeq
Yeah, but that is all SW magic. Plus tehre is Force power on OB1's side. The gravity thing is new.

LandoSpeeder2
lol, yeah, why are we discussing this, next thing we know we will be trying to figure out why the Jedi have the force power and if it's logical, lol.

SithSpy
this is making my brain hurt

Creechuur
In the novelization, it is explained that the artificial gravity generators are damaged. The Neimodian crew keep trying to fix it, so it keeps blinking on and off, with cool cinematic results.

But yeah, more than anything its Sci-fi physics at work.

queeq
Originally posted by LandoSpeeder2
lol, yeah, why are we discussing this, next thing we know we will be trying to figure out why the Jedi have the force power and if it's logical, lol.

No no, absolulety not. There is such a thing as SW logic and the Force is part of that.

But we never saw people sliding to one side when a ship did.
And yeah, I read the novel... but then it would mean that'd have to start floating I guess... Then again... Han and Leia didn't float in the space slug's belly.

Robin Darkside
I think Lucas got his ideas from our nature, electromagnetism and gravity are forces that provide an energy that no one knows where they come from. gravity exists, but what provides that force. Law of energy conservation is that energy can not be created nor destroyed. Our galaxy is close to the star wars galaxy, except they figured out a way to use magnestism alot better. Although gravity generators would be very complicated because they would have to be regulated because gravitation forces change throughout space because of large masses. Lucas also violates Einsteins theory that a ship travels faster then the speed of light.
Anyway, if you can have a hyperdrive, then a providing gravity on a ship would be easy.
Space doesn;t seem much like a vacumm in star wars either, General Grievous went out to space and he was all right. wouldn't his organs crush or something?

DoctorRocktopus
Space must not be much of a vacuum in the Star Wars universe, otherwise we couldn't see lasers shooting through space -- to be able to see an energy source without looking directly at it, one needs there to be some kind of atmosphere to scatter the energy -- much the same way our blue sky is a result of sunlight being scattered by the earth's atmosphere. One thing Lucas got right was R2D2's ability to wheel around on the exterior of Anakin's ship when it was traveling at great speed -- there is almost no friction or other forces in space to slow down R2 -- thus he will maintain the speed of the object he is on. However, Lucas goofs moments later when the attacking droid pecking on the ship is blown off -- as if a sudden gust of wind in space blew his remaining pieces away. This "wind" somehow did not affect R2

Robin Darkside
I think you mean when R4 got his head torn off by those droids on Obiwans ship. yes, with no friction R4's head should have just floated away rather than a wind like gust. Although, those attacking droids could have provided that thrust of force. A sudden burst in the ship could have made that attacking droid fall away, because it wasn;t attached.

queeq
Now I'm beginning to regret this thread. The science geeks have arrived... wink

Ushgarak

Since when did SW science ever make the remotest sense?

I see no reason why this does not fit into the fuzzy logic of Star Wars. The ship was veering out of control therefore they lost their footing, just as if they were in a big zeppelin- and every ship in SW has always acted like it was in an atmosphere, from the way the X-Wings bank to having a top speed.

This fits that exactly.

queeq
Now who would argue with that. wink

Robin Darkside
Originally posted by Ushgarak

Since when did SW science ever make the remotest sense?

I see no reason why this does not fit into the fuzzy logic of Star Wars. The ship was veering out of control therefore they lost their footing, just as if they were in a big zeppelin- and every ship in SW has always acted like it was in an atmosphere, from the way the X-Wings bank to having a top speed.

This fits that exactly.

It does make science sense, just not always, like the plot

Ushgarak
I think you'll find SW steers away from hard science whenever it is even vaguely inconvenient. Style comes first.

Lana
C'mon, everyone should know that the laws of physics don't apply to the Star Wars universe....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.