Read Orson Scott Card's ridiculous article about SW yet?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Asajj's Finger
http://www.beliefnet.com/story/167/story_16700_1.html

Darth Bong
This guy sure thinks a lot of his own opinions. smokin'

SpyCspider
uh, didn't seem that ridiculous to me. The Jedi are pretty damn elite. And I find it as a religion amusing, but hey, however you want to govern your life is up to you. In the end though, the question is "who the f*ck cares?"

Creechuur
Orson Scott Card is a genius if you ask me. He's 10 times the creative mind than Lucas is. The Ender series is one of my favorites, not for being just a great story, but for making me think. His takes on religion, politics and life make Star Wars seem like the kids story it is. If you know him at all, you know he is devoutly religious (Mormon, I believe), and it comes through in almost every book he's written. The article makes a lot of sense to me, especially coming from a deeply religious guy. I see nothing wrong with an intelligent person having an intelligent opinion. Its not like he's one of these reporters or movie critics bashing just to be cool, Card's article makes a lot of sense.

But then again, I'm not such a crazy Star Wars fan that I am personally offended by all the criticism it recieves. I'm usually one fo those critics, but I still love it...flaws and all.

Red Superfly
The flaws are what make Star Wars perfect.

((The_Anomaly))
i think that this guys feeble attempt to try to question jedi as a real religion is not only ridiculous, but incredibly stupid...

this guy is just rambling basically...

tpaquin
His criticisms are rather arbirtrary. I had a bigger problem with his damnation of Caotholocism and his star wars fan generalization. Now, i realize I, as a star wars fan, am not James Dean, but come on, now...

supercybergeek
The main problems with revenge of the sith is plot holes and bad editing, not that the force is a religion.

Creechuur
He's not rambling, he's criticizing Lucas for creating a religion based on superiority and exclusiveness. He makes a lot of sense.

The Jedi are cool and fun to watch with their lightsabers and all, but as a religion the whole thing falls flat. It would be like christianity, but only for those who can actually perform miracles, instead of having faith in the diety who performs them.

I dunno, I just try not to take the whole thing to seriously. I dont think Card does either, except for the purpose of writing the article.

Asajj's Finger
Do you really think Lucas intended to create a religion? Based on superiority and exclusiveness, or otherwise? Star Wars is a morality play. Good vs. Evil. The Jedi offer a good moral code: use your power for knowledge and defense only. The Sith morality is clearly evil: using power for power's sake--to gain power.

Anybody who reads much more into it, or wants to become a Jedi as their religion is taking this too seriously. Anybody who reads too much into people wanting to become Jedi as their religion is also taking it too seriously. OS Card is guilty of the second offense.

As to his article: Does Obi-Wan say "Only Sith deal in absolutes" or does he say "only Sith deal in such absolutes"? There is a big difference. (I may have, in my own mind, added the "such" in there to mitigate the "problem" Card points out.) Either way, I prefer my SW as entertainment. I don't demand flawless religious or philosophical content.

palpy_666
Originally posted by Asajj's Finger
Do you really think Lucas intended to create a religion? Based on superiority and exclusiveness, or otherwise? Star Wars is a morality play. Good vs. Evil. The Jedi offer a good moral code: use your power for knowledge and defense only. The Sith morality is clearly evil: using power for power's sake--to gain power.

Anybody who reads much more into it, or wants to become a Jedi as their religion is taking this too seriously. Anybody who reads too much into people wanting to become Jedi as their religion is also taking it too seriously. OS Card is guilty of the second offense.

As to his article: Does Obi-Wan say "Only Sith deal in absolutes" or does he say "only Sith deal in such absolutes"? There is a big difference. (I may have, in my own mind, added the "such" in there to mitigate the "problem" Card points out.) Either way, I prefer my SW as entertainment. I don't demand flawless religious or philosophical content.

Actually, believe it or not, I'm quite fond of the idea of practicing a REAL Sith religion. I don't have a religion, so there's no constraints on me as to what I want to be. I know www.sithism.com is a site for the real Sith religion. It would be cool to claim to be a Sith Lord (for your religion) and to practice eastern meditation and Black Magick... Just my thoughts.

Torik_Shai
Card's article is more accurate than he probably realizes. It's these flaws in the Jedi Order (thinking of themselves as elite and all-powerful) that is the cause for their eventual downfall. Dooku thinks some of those exact thoughts Card mentions in a few of the Clone Wars novels.

Torik_Shai
double post

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.