catholics protest the da vinci code

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

rubber dickie
all i got from this letter is they want some money... read on. the propaganda is quite entertaining.

rubber dickie
damn, the picture is too samll. i'll just host it...

http://img146.echo.cx/img146/96/code17ag.jpg

http://img146.echo.cx/img146/6913/code28aq.jpg

http://img146.echo.cx/img146/1888/code39it.jpg

http://img146.echo.cx/img146/9282/code43sp.jpg

rubber dickie
think jay and silent bob without the hilarity and cussing.

BackFire
What a bunch of dumbshits.

People like that is what gives christianity a bad name, not fictitious films/books that no one claims to be true.

Oh well, let them protest, hope they got on the national news, all they'll do is give the movie free publicity and cause more people to see it.

rubber dickie
i like the P.S. part the best...

" third: finally: send the largest special gift you possibly can. may God bless you."

BackFire
lol yeah.

Showing their true colors, if only for a moment.

Clovie
confused

i'm catholic...and this book is just fiction i have no idea why is everyone doing sucha big deal about it erm

rubber dickie
me too. a stoopid book won't sway my beliefs.

manny321
its a good book though!! One fact is ture that religion is nowhere near the same as it was first started.

yerssot
those that freak out about the book clearly haven't read it and just judge the book by its cover.
First of all: as clovie said: it's FICTION, it's a book! Star Wars isn't real, everyone besides Queeq know that, DVC isn't real either, but some christians apperently don't konw that

second point I want to make: in the book it is CLEARLY said that if you fall over something as trivial as Jesus being married, you failed to even gasp the idea of his teachings. His personal life is personal and shouldn't be a problem for everyone, it's what he stands for that people should focus on

Imaginary
hysterical @ this all.

On a more serious note, it's simple, really. If you don't like it, you don't have to read it or watch it. There are billions of people in this world, and no one will ever find one single thing that will keep the entire population of the planet Earth happy. So just accept it already roll eyes (sarcastic)

silver_tears
There are a lot of non-fictional elements in it though, they do cast a harsh light on the Opus Dei, they have a right not to want it to go to film, other than that, if the Pope hasn't said anything about this publicly, then how do the churches go forward with this? confused

yerssot
the one that's in charge of censorship has said the book is filth and should be taken out of the shops, silver

silver_tears
I like to think of myself as a good catholic, I enjoyed the book immensely, and it only made me review my faith, it didn't harm it at all because of the messages in it about faith, not neccessarily christianity happy

I'm looking forward to the movie, the only problem I have with it is Tom Hanks playing Robert yucky

Imaginary
I like Tom Hanks stick out tongue

silver_tears
Get out of my sight stick out tongue

Imaginary
*hides behind Silver* stick out tongue

*clears throat* Back on topic now.

Andrew McLeod
Maybe Catholics are being urged to protest it because it's all true! O_O

Lol, whatever. It's annoying when people have opinions...grrr...LOL

ragesRemorse
the da vinci code is not blasphemous. Besides, unless the Catholic religoun is pattend, it's all up in the air.

DeRFmAn
I've accually read the book and I thought it was a great book. It doesn't even say anything negative about jeebus or anyone else it just states that the church has altered the writings in the bible to suit their needs. Again it is fake that has been said and this letter if its real or not just proves that christians are greedy little shits, I do consider my self christian but just barely and the whole reason that I stopped going to church is because people there have a holier than thou attitude. I thought being "saved" was supposed to humble you and give your life meaning. Anyway I forgot where I was going with this but yeah. The book is friggin awesome and I do plan on seeing the movie but I doubt it will compare.

Trickster
Why do they need money?

DeRFmAn
well those lawers for the scandals do get expensive

yes Happy Dance

dave123
laughing out loud Idiots... any religion that's scared they'll lose believers to a film is a waste of time stick out tongue Let people make up their own mind, if there is a mass-conversion then surely that says something about the religion, and possibly the simplicity of it's members.

What is this, Nazi Germany? hitler where alternative views are forbidden?

DeRFmAn
at times it does seem that way friggin nazi's

dave123
I've got nothing against Catholics or any other religion... but I dislike religions that are ignorant of other faiths, oppose people hearing alternatives and such... it's like brainwashing fear

Jackie Malfoy
I can bearly understand the letter.I mean I know about that book and I can see why they are protesting againt it but it is a worst of time.JM

DeRFmAn
how can you see the point of protesting it, its all FICTION. They should do something better with their time and money and try and help people in need rather then getting fat off of the faithful

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by dave123

What is this, Nazi Germany? hitler where alternative views are forbidden?

gettin there.

There is nothing in the da vinci code that speaks badly against the catholic religoun. It is nothing more than the exploitation of an age old theory. It really isnt even that good of a story, just a typical mystery with a gimmick

Bardock42
Originally posted by Jackie Malfoy
I can bearly understand the letter.I mean I know about that book and I can see why they are protesting againt it but it is a worst of time.JM

It's waste....not worst....I guess.

I don't even see why anyone reads that book anyways...I think books are only worth reading when they are still considered great after lets say 10 years (I know if everyone would do it like me the books couldn't possibly be considered great...but it works for me big grin)

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Bardock42
(I know if everyone would do it like me the books couldn't possibly be considered great...but it works for me big grin)

your right though, most modern books are a grosse waste of time. if there is anything more flooded than the entertainment business, it is writing.

rubber dickie
the organization that printed the letter clearly just wants money. there is no way in hell that they can stop this movie from being made. too much money is to be made out of this movie. no one can stop corporate america.

they could protest or boycott it in the theatres, but that just makes people more cuurious, and evrybody would be wondering what the catholics could possibly hide about their religion.

Fishy
Well if they make money I doubt they will care about their religion bunch of hypocrite bastards...

And why would they even want to stop it? I really can not understand the movie has parts of truth in it and fiction. Most of it however is still an opinion, although drawn out of facts its still just a conclusion based upon those things. Nothing certain, you would think people would realise that.

Besides if you don't want this movie to be seen then don't see it, they have no right to say what other people can or can not see.

Bardock42
Originally posted by rubber dickie
the organization that printed the letter clearly just wants money. there is no way in hell that they can stop this movie from being made. too much money is to be made out of this movie. no one can stop corporate america.

they could protest or boycott it in the theatres, but that just makes people more cuurious, and evrybody would be wondering what the catholics could possibly hide about their religion.

I agree....I mean he even states it in his letter that it might possibly become one of the biggest Films ever ,now I don'T agree with it but just how stupid would columbia be if they would stop making such a sure money maker as the Da Vinci Code. No way they will not do it.

Originally posted by ragesRemorse
your right though, most modern books are a grosse waste of time. if there is anything more flooded than the entertainment business, it is writing.

Yeah that is true but still I belive there are good pieces of literature out there just the label "New York Times Best Seller" doesn't do it for me.

Curl_Up&Dye
Originally posted by Clovie
confused

i'm catholic...and this book is just fiction i have no idea why is everyone doing sucha big deal about it erm

I was raised Catholic, but now I'm sort of indifferent. I'm not really sure how to explain it. I like the idea of having someone there to sort of watch over you, but there ended up being a lot of things about the religion that I just plain didnt like.

and the whole thing with the da vinci code, is that it openly disproves many basic beliefs for the catholics and christians. Even though its fiction, there is a lot of truth mixed into it that have really begun to think and question their own beliefs. I've never read it, but I can see why religious people are mad.

But you dont need money to protest. thats just ridiculous. theyre probably just afraid theyre going to lose contributions from the followers they lose.

DeRFmAn
in my opinion any book that gets me or atleast the reader thinking then I believe that it should be considered a good read.

DVC got me thinking thats why I like it so much. I'm sure there are many people out there that it wouldn't do much for. Thats just my opinion.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by rubber dickie
. no one can stop corporate america

No, no one can stop ron howard. laughing out loud

Afro Cheese
Protest postcards? What a lazy way to protest.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Clovie
confused

If it's such a big deal, maybe it's not fiction.

DeRFmAn
its a big deal because it LOOSELY based on information that may or may not be facts.

They just don't realize that they are only giving it more credibility by making such a big friggin fuss over it.

debbiejo
There are so many books out there that refute the Bibles view of who Jesus was. People have to just think for themselves...Do their own homework...They will have to do the same with the movie.

a1hsauce
I'm Catholic and after I read the Da Vinci Code... I didnt pull a complete 180 on my faith... if anything it made me open to other possibilities. I know what I believe, and what I dont. Jesus was as much Man as he is God.
What was written in The DVC was completely possible, and its completley impossible...

This was a book! lol and people forget, it was a fictional book. it says so on the side binding. I think all this protesting and hoo haa, just adds to the negative views people already have about us Catholics. Please people remember there are still some good ones out there.

with that said...May the Sauce be with you big grin

lil bitchiness
Whenever someone makes a remortely religious movie, there will be protests. Its a silly thing to be protesting about - if people leave their faith based on the movie, then they all had doubts about their faith long before the movie.

PVS
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Whenever someone makes a remortely religious movie, there will be protests. Its a silly thing to be protesting about - if people leave their faith based on the movie, then they all had doubts about their faith long before the movie.

exactly, and to take it further...

if they are so damn paranoid that a product of hollywood could destroy the validity of their religion...then they themselves dont really have faith in what they believe.

christianity's very nature is to survive through persecution, lies, corrupt power etc. why do they think that NOW a stupid 2 hour flick can destroy all that? they obviously dont place much stock in what they claim to have deep faith in.

*disclaimer: by 'they' i refer to those christians who whine and moan about this, and not ALL christians.

DeRFmAn
I couldn't agree more.

I was once an altar-boy and felt very strongly about my faith but they rarely had me do services. I think it was the way I looked, because I like hard rock and metal and you could tell by looking at me. I had my ears pierced and had long hair...I just in general didn't look the part of a devout catholic. That in the end is what pushed me away from the church. It does say that no-1 has the right to judge any1 else, but thats exactly what they were doing. They were judging me by what I looked like not by who I was, just because I didn't have the preppy hair and what not (I still dressed up, tie and $h!t) they didn't like the idea of putting me out in the open. Anyway I'm done yammering on, but thats the whole reason I'm no longer too religious. It wasnt some book that changed my views it was the church its self

jaden101
the catholic church...asking for money?...arent they one of the richest institutions in the world as it is?

DeRFmAn
I do think so but I don't care enough to look it up

rubber dickie
Originally posted by jaden101
the catholic church...asking for money?...arent they one of the richest institutions in the world as it is?

well, our leader does have his own country...

The Biker Scout
This Book was a smokin read by the way smokin'

DeRFmAn
indeed it was read it in a week would've been done quicker but had to spend time with muh woman...no i'm not complaining evil face

a1hsauce
Originally posted by DeRFmAn
I couldn't agree more.

I was once an altar-boy and felt very strongly about my faith but they rarely had me do services. I think it was the way I looked, because I like hard rock and metal and you could tell by looking at me. I had my ears pierced and had long hair...I just in general didn't look the part of a devout catholic. That in the end is what pushed me away from the church. It does say that no-1 has the right to judge any1 else, but thats exactly what they were doing. They were judging me by what I looked like not by who I was, just because I didn't have the preppy hair and what not (I still dressed up, tie and $h!t) they didn't like the idea of putting me out in the open. Anyway I'm done yammering on, but thats the whole reason I'm no longer too religious. It wasnt some book that changed my views it was the church its self
Damn that really sucks Derf...woah..that really is horrible

DeRFmAn
Yeah but in the long run I think it helped me. Rather then go with what other people say I should or shouldn't look like or act or anything it just made me be who I wanna be. I don't hold it against the entire church but it just ruined it for me. I guess you could say that I'm spiritual now rather then catholic or anything else. I just don't think people should be blinded by their church, they should look at everything as a whole and just take from it what they will. Anyway just my 2 cents.

IceWithin
Load of bullshit if you ask me.

I mean first, it does not bash at all catholicism, in fact at the end they even say something about how they were blaming the church for what was happening but it was all really teabing's fault.
And, it only tells you facts about jesus and constantine.
Catholics now a days don't know shit about they're own culture, I bet that they didn't even know that there were many "prophets" before jesus claiming that they're mother was a virgin, yadde yadde.

so basically the whole problem is just ridiculous.

Lana
This is so dumb...it's a book that's being made into a movie, they can do what they want but it'll still be made into a movie roll eyes (sarcastic) if they have such a problem then they don't need to read it/see it.

DeRFmAn
Too true Ice...the avg catholic doesnt.

You're also dead on about the book not bashing the religion. Isn't it funny how they opposite is true? I think so. Anyway THIS THREAD OWN JOO!!!!

Big Evil
What DON'T Catholics protest?! Next..

DeRFmAn
GOD? Well theirs atleast

Happy Dance

Big Evil
GOD? Well theirs atleast

Happy Dance
NEXT..

IceWithin
Too true Ice...the avg catholic doesnt.

You're also dead on about the book not bashing the religion. Isn't it funny how they opposite is true? I think so. Anyway THIS THREAD OWN JOO!!!!

yes

yerssot
GOD? Well theirs atleast

Happy Dance
I'm not so sure about that stick out tongue

anyway, lets just forget about this and watch the 10 Comandments

IceWithin
blink laughing

no, seriosuly, what? huh

BackFire
One day I'm going to make a movie where Jesus is a homosexual rapist/murderer. Just to piss off the piece of shit protesters.

DeRFmAn
awesome

Big Evil
Can I be the 13th apostle they left out of the Bible cause i'm Hispanic? laughing

DeRFmAn
I wanna be the cross-dressing 14th apostle and I could put it to Mary.

finti
who said he wasn't one, come on running around in the countryside accompanied by 12 other males..............also one have to ask the question what the REAL reason/motivasion for Judas betrayal was................

catholics protest the da vinci code SO?

Fishy
Originally posted by finti
who said he wasn't one, come on running around in the countryside accompanied by 12 other males..............also one have to ask the question what the REAL reason/motivasion for Judas betrayal was................

According to his own books becuase Jesus told him to do it... The bible just changed that

DeRFmAn
What books are these?

yerssot
the gnostics

finti
to do what? adjust the truth?

debbiejo

You have it all worked out do ya?? And you could say the same for sports teams.

Fishy
to do what? adjust the truth?

Probably just a translation error.

Bardock42
Originally posted by BackFire
One day I'm going to make a movie where Jesus is a homosexual rapist/murderer. Just to piss off the piece of shit protesters.
I definately gonna watch it.

IceWithin
Originally posted by BackFire

laughing out loud I think the vatican would send people to kill you stick out tongue

finti
yeah pretty much

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.