NIN drops from Mtv video awards

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Curl_Up&Dye
It appears as though NIN has dropped out of the Mtv video music awards show.

During their performance of "the hand that feeds" they had planned to use what Trent Reznor calls an "un molested" picture of President Bush. Mtv didnt feel comfortable with that much political material (on top of the fact that the song is anti-bush to begin with). They would allow them to play the song, just not use that backdrop, because theyre supposed to be an un-biased network. Apparently thats not good enough for Trent Reznor, because he publicly bashed Mtv's decision to keep the awards show as unbiased as possible, both through the media and on their website.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1503082/20050527/story.jhtml

http://www.nin.com/current/index.html

if anyone has seen this picture or knows where to find it, please let me know, I'm interested to see what NIN was planning to do.

Kaleanae
Belongs to the music forum

silver_tears
good for them thumb up at least they have enough self respect not to compromise their values to be on tv

Imaginary
Damn straight.

Tptmanno1
Exactly, Wouldn't want it to be another RATM/SNL incident,
Producers shouldn't expect bands to be anything other than what they are. RATM sould not be expected to be unpolitical, as shouldn't NIN, as the song permits it.

Dr. Strangelove
I guess MTV didn't like that NIN wasn't going to have enough bling bling and hoe's. roll eyes (sarcastic)

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by silver_tears
good for them thumb up at least they have enough self respect not to compromise their values to be on tv

It isnt like Mtv wanted them to censor lyrics. NIN just wanted attention. Your telling me a band that bitches about musical repsect and freedom cannot respect the beliefs of others? I hopei dont sound like i am defending MTV, i hate that evil corperation.

silver_tears
They did respect their beliefs by dropping out What the f**k?
If they had done it anyways then you could *****....

Imaginary
Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove
I guess MTV didn't like that NIN wasn't going to have enough bling bling and hoe's. roll eyes (sarcastic)

laughing out loud

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by silver_tears
They did respect their beliefs by dropping out What the f**k?
If they had done it anyways then you could *****....

So, dropping out of a concert because they could not use a prop to shit on peoples political agenda's was actually done so they wouldnt insult those same people confused

Swanky-Tuna
Trent Reznor cried because MTV didn't want to be a stage for his attention whoring.

RedAlertv2
Where is NIN to blame here? They have political views, like everyone else. What is wrong with wanting to express them. I dont see the big deal anyways. MTV plays all kinds of anti-Bush songs already. For example, American Idiot.

Of course, if I were NIN, I wouldnt have wanted to play on MTV in the first place

Curl_Up&Dye
Originally posted by Swanky-Tuna
Trent Reznor cried because MTV didn't want to be a stage for his attention whoring.

personally I agree with you. All Trent Reznor has ever done was whined about everything, especially when he couldnt get his way. As much as I dont like Mtv, they do have a point. They are supposed to be a non-biased network, and although they do allow SOME anti-bush bands to play, its because theyre popular, not because Mtv is a Democrat network. But if there's a popular pro-war/pro-bush band out there that isnt country, let me know. But Mtv was respectful towards the band, and presented themselves in a professional manner. They felt that although NIN would be allowed to play the anti-bush song, the supposedly "unaltered" backdrop of him would be crossing the line, and violating Mtv's standards to remain non-biased.
they said that NIN could play the song, but "they didnt feel comfortable" with that amount of political propaganda. That is professional.

what trent reznor did was not. he bitched to the media, the fans, on the website, and to his mommy about it. He was rude and condescending because he didnt get his way.

Asking them to choose a different backdrop is not violating any rights. I'm sure if NIN was playing on CNN, they would have no problem with it. But its up to the discretion of the network, based on their personal goals and standards.

Think about this though, if another band played with a backdrop of Bush with little hearts and flowers around it, all these anti-bush bands would be having a fit.

I'm politically moderate, and some of the things that go back and forth are just outright stupid

Lana
I'm amazed that Trent would even WANT to be on MTV. What the hell, Reznor.

BackFire
Too hell with both of them, NIN and MTV could both go right down the shitter for all I care.

WindDancer
So MTV denied NIN to display a picture of Bush for a concert and Trent didn't like it and decided to cancel? Screw him...the show will go on without them. But I do agree that MTV sucks.

Afro Cheese
Originally posted by Lana
I'm amazed that Trent would even WANT to be on MTV. What the hell, Reznor. He's a professional musician. Of course he wants exposer and success, but it's good for him that he didn't compromise just to get it.

Anyway, I bet the picture was that one where Bush is giving the middle finger..

Swanky-Tuna
Originally posted by Afro Cheese
He's a professional musician. Of course he wants exposer and success, but it's good for him that he didn't compromise just to get it.
But it's not good of him to whine like a baby because he didn't get his way.

eggmayo
http://home.earthlink.net/~binkest/bush_bong.jpg
Would be the picture I would use...

Originally posted by Swanky-Tuna
But it's not good of him to whine like a baby because he didn't get his way.
True... thats Dave Mustaine territory right there stick out tongue

Jackie Malfoy
Well that is good.Doing an stupid thing like to bush is pointless and stupid.JM

botankus
I'm shocked that anybody is still actually paying attention to what entertainment celebrities say about politics! I thought we had covered that already.

eggmayo
I used it as an excuse to post that picture erm

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.