Guinea Pig Series

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BackFire
Has anyone seen these infamous films? I've been reading about them on some other sites, and they've drawn my interest, big time. I'm thinking of buying the new boxset that was released in january.

For those who don't know of them, they're apparantly very graphic asian horror films about human torture and such. They sound right up my ally.

Anyways, for those who have seen them, what do you think of them? I love Men Behind the Sun, Cannibal Holocaust and films of that nature, is Guinea Pig films in teh same sub genre as those films?

tabby999
i'd like to see the movies mentioned but i dont think i'd buy them

ragesRemorse
yeah, but death and disfigurement doesnt turn you on like it does backfire stick out tongue

I was about to spring for a vhs box set on ebay, but decided to go with salo instead, from what i hear i have made the right choice. Has anyone ever seen all the chapters from salo? i only have 13.

BackFire
I have Salo on DVD, it's a disgusting film, but it drags on. Kinda boring, really. Watched it once, never really want to watch it again, not because it's to intense or gross for me, just because alot of it was kinda boring.

Anywho, I'm going to be picking up the Guinea Pig box set on tuesday, so I'll let you know what I think. Hopefully it doesn't dissapoint.

ragesRemorse
yeah let us know indeed.

Have you seen the version of salo with all 29 chapters?

BackFire
Got the box set today and watched four of the films thus far. So far I'm pretty happy with them. I'll do a little mini review of each one.

The Devils Experiment:

The original Guinea Pig is, strangely enough, the worst one. It was pretty boring and not nearly as graphic as I was expecting, though it was pretty uncomfortable to watch, because you just basically see a woman getting beaten up and eventually killed. There is one cool scene though - when the attackers poke her in the eye with a needle, really cringe inducing. After watching this one first, I was worried that I was in for a disapointment...

The Android of Notredame:

This is the next one I watched because it's on the same dvd as the first film and I'm to lazy to get up and put on one of the other, more infamous films in the series. Though, I was pleasently surprised by this one. This one wasn't nearly as sullumn or mean spirited as the first one. It's more of a silly sci fi type thing. Plot is basically a dwarf scientist is trying to find a cure for his dying sister, he uses a cadaver at first but it is too aged to be of any use, so he needs a new specimin. He then starts replacing body parts with machine parts, making a part robot part human thingy. Kinda funny, pretty gory, and actually had some kind of plot. Liked this one a lot better.

Man who can't die:

This little gem is simply awesome, it's more of a dark comedy then a horror film. It's about a guy who is depressed and wanting to commit suicide. He finally gets up the courage and slits his wrist, as he waits to die he realizes nothing is happening and that he is feeling no pain. The film consists of him basically doing all sorts of nasty things to himself trying to kill himself, though he can't. This one was just good fun, me and my friend were both cracking up during this one, great gore, good silly comedy, and even some boobs. So far, this was the best one.

Mermaid in the Manhole:

This is the last one I watched tonight, and by this one I was feeling kinda "guinea pigged out", but I had been really interested in this one, seemed like a very unique film from what I'd heard, so I had to watch it before giving the series a rest for a while.

This was the best film in teh series that I've seen thus far, it's a sad story about an artist who's lost everything good in his life. He's been going to a (which used to be a lake, which he has fond memories of from childhood) sewer for inspiration, this one time, however, he encounters a mermaid who is trapped int he sewer. He remembers he encountered her before when he was a child when the sewer was a lake. He begins painting her. As he's painting her he discovers that she has a nasty infection on her abdoman. He decides to take her home and care for her. Things go horribly wrong when the infection on her abdoman spreads, causing horrific results. This is by far the most visually disgusting film in teh series so far. It's also the one with the most cinematic merrit. It is almost poetic in nature and is very emotional and metaphorical. It even has something of a twist ending. Loved this movie, and after viewing it I can't wait to see the other two guinea pig films tommorow (one of which is "Flower of Flesh and Blood", the most infamous film in the series, which is supposed be one of the most vile films ever made).

Anyhow, I'm happy with the purchase of these films, I've enjoyed them so far, and with the exception of the first film, I havent' been disapointed. If you're a fan of extreme shock cinema, or simply japanese cinema it's worth your time and money to check these out.

Also, RR, the copy of salo that I have is a burnt copy of the critereon collection edition that is now out of print. That edition was supposed to be uncut and unedited, so as far as I know it is the movie in it's entirety.

Cinemaddiction
Just put it on ye olde wish list. Looks like going rate is between $50-$55.

BackFire
Yeah, sounds about right.

Though, I'm not sure they're up your ally C-dic, I mean, you're not a big fan of Japanese films from what I remember, right?

BackFire
Anyways, I just watched the most infamous one, entitled "Flower of flesh and blood". It's the one that actor Charlie Sheen thought was a real snuff film.

Anyways, this movie was pure gore at it's best, no story, no characters really, just a man dismembering a woman, disembowling her, and decapitating her. The effects are for the most part, very impressive (though by todays standards, they aren't really up to par) if you keep in mind the time period the film was made, and the obviously low budget.

I can definately see why this one is the most revered and infamous in the series. Though, I still think Mermaid in the Manhole is the best one, cinematically.

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by BackFire
Yeah, sounds about right.

Though, I'm not sure they're up your ally C-dic, I mean, you're not a big fan of Japanese films from what I remember, right?

Just not ghost stories, occult however is my speciality.

BackFire
Oh alright, sweet.

Hope you enjoy them.

chilled monkey
Why are they called that? What have guinea pigs got to do with it?

BackFire
It's the term used to describe the specimin being used as an experiment.

chilled monkey
Originally posted by BackFire
It's the term used to describe the specimin being used as an experiment.

I see. Thanks.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.