The Longest yard

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

T.M
i saw this today the remake that is with Adam Sandler

anyone seen it ?

i think it was good had some very funny parts

if there is a thread on this already im sorry.

Primitive Screwhead

KharmaDog
My wife just bought the original on DVD for me today as it is one of my favourite movies. As for the remake, the word SUCKS comes to mind.

Curl_Up&Dye
nearly everything with adam sandler sucks.

crazy
Wow I can't believe you didn't like it, and I don't fall into any of those 3 categories. Kevin Nash's performance in it was awesome, I don't get why people think the Rob Schneider apperances are overdone, they are something a lot of people love, he has some pretty funny ones. Now I'm not denying the original is better cause first of all I can't find it on DVD so I can't make my decision but it seems that this movie doesn't go well with old timers and goes a lot more with my generation. I don't like the fact that you say it should not have been remade cause I enjoyed those 1 hour and 40 minutes of my life or something around that anyways.

Primitive Screwhead
Originally posted by crazy
Wow I can't believe you didn't like it, and I don't fall into any of those 3 categories. Kevin Nash's performance in it was awesome, I don't get why people think the Rob Schneider apperances are overdone, they are something a lot of people love, he has some pretty funny ones. Now I'm not denying the original is better cause first of all I can't find it on DVD so I can't make my decision but it seems that this movie doesn't go well with old timers and goes a lot more with my generation. I don't like the fact that you say it should not have been remade cause I enjoyed those 1 hour and 40 minutes of my life or something around that anyways.

Your opinion. I just find it to be a sad state of affairs when Hollywood can't do anything but rehash old movies or throw a 2 or 3 at the end of a previously successful film. Originality is hard to find. And as for Rob Schneider, how many times has that "You can do it" persona shown up in a Sandler movie? Typecasting can grow to be a nuisance over time, if done wrong.

Glad you liked the film. I gave reasons why some people may have liked the film. They're the same reasons I found the film to be a waste of eight dollars.

nimbus006
Primitive Screwhead the reason Hollywood keeps making these films that you " really dont like, but go see anyway " is because you go see it even tho you dont like it. You still pay those nine dollars to get into the theatre, and theres a million people just like you that go see movies they know are gonna suck, and trust me they know it. If you dont want these movies to be made dont go see them and add to their profits. The longest Yard grossed 60 million this weekendm, thats amazing for a comedy like this one. Would you stop making movies if you were producing 60 million in one weekend? i dont think so. As for the movie itself i thought it was pretty good.

Primitive Screwhead
Yes, I am aware that by contributing my hard earner dollars to see remakes such as this one only encourage them to continue doing so. Typically I wait until these type of films hit the second run theatres or even video, but I threw caution to the wind this time (even after considering the reviews). Still doesn't excuse the lack of originality in Hollywood... we've been force-fed so much of the same garbage that we've actually been accustomed to taking it without so much as a single complaint. Society is getting way too complacent today in terms of expectations from Hollywood... myself included.

The other reason I still check these movies out is that there are remote instances in which a decent production actually slips through. When I state that there are too many rehashes/sequels out there, that doesn't mean that some of the ones out there aren't actually good. In some instances, the sequels or remakes are actually better than the originals. Case in point, movies like Aliens and the remake of Ocean's 11 are examples of films that did it even better the "second time around"... at least in my book.

nimbus006
Very true about both movies, although they should of stopped with Aliens 3... but anyway i think Hollywood is doing just fine... yes many movies that are being made are flat out crap, but think about how hard it is to come up with something original nowadays, when almost everything has been thought of already. Only the great ones can come up with truly original ideas which is why they are great i.e Spielberg, Lucas, Scott, Cameron, Scorsesi etc...

Primitive Screwhead
I wouldn't necessarily throw Lucas into the original group... he's so tied into the Star Wars franchise, that it's almost hard to remember what he's done in the past let alone determine what new, original work he's put forth. And in terms of new work for George? Indiana Jones IV. Hmmm.

Swanky-Tuna
Kevin Nash was in it? I wasn't aware he could do anything but break his tiny legs, powerbomb 120lbs wrestlers, and "kiss" his "horns" with Scott Hall's "horns".

nimbus006
Star Wars is enough to put him into that group IMO

nimbus006
Originally posted by Primitive Screwhead
I wouldn't necessarily throw Lucas into the original group... he's so tied into the Star Wars franchise, that it's almost hard to remember what he's done in the past let alone determine what new, original work he's put forth. And in terms of new work for George? Indiana Jones IV. Hmmm.

Soounds good to me eek!

SnakeEyes
My philosophy: If I really think a movie is a waste; I don't see it.

KidRock
Great movie. I thought it was pretty funny and all the wrestlers did a good acting job. I definetly recommend it.

Also whoever said he should keep doing movies like "spanglish" and "punch drunk love". Those movies bombed.. The Longest Yard and his comedy movies dont. Why would he try to change?

Primitive Screwhead
Originally posted by KidRock
Great movie. I thought it was pretty funny and all the wrestlers did a good acting job. I definetly recommend it.

Also whoever said he should keep doing movies like "spanglish" and "punch drunk love". Those movies bombed.. The Longest Yard and his comedy movies dont. Why would he try to change?

If you're going to quote me, do it right please. I said that I was giving credit to Sandler for actually breaking out of the mold and trying new films... although I thought only Spanglish was entertaining and PDL was too odd. But I can't really take a comic/actor too seriously in their role when they're always doing the same stuff time and time again. It took Truman Show AND Majestic both for me to actually start finding Jim Carrey to truly be more than a facial-contorting goofball... Eternal Sunshine just makes him more credible in my opinion. As a result, his movies are a little more refreshing each time out... I find Sandler starting to become stale as an actor.

Cinemaddiction

Also whoever said he should keep doing movies like "spanglish" and "punch drunk love". Those movies bombed.

"Punch Drunk Love" was incredible, IMO, and got passed over because of everyone's partiality to Sandler's comedies, and nothing more. That's a damn shame, too.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
"Punch Drunk Love" was incredible, IMO, and got passed over because of everyone's partiality to Sandler's comedies, and nothing more. That's a damn shame, too.

Very true, but i also think his performace in punch drunk love broke the boundaries for him, and got his fans accustomed to him acting in drama driven movies.

The longest yard however, is just a complete failure. It felt as though they tried to hard on the humor. What jokes were funny, felt forced. the original is so much better.

jnr hiphop
I'm looking forward to see this movie..

T.M
I'm going to have to watch the original yes

because im comparing it to Mean Machine which is the British version of it and Longest yard is alot better than it.

jnr hiphop
Originally posted by Curl_Up&Dye
nearly everything with adam sandler sucks.

or maybe its just you that doesnt like nearly everything with adam sandler..

LiL nAstY GirL
this movie was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo funny

SnakeEyes
I enjoyed it very much!

Primitive Screwhead
Originally posted by LiL nAstY GirL
this movie was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo funny

No offense, but see if you feel the way one you reach your latter 20's (sseing as your bio has you listed as 15) and realize just how much of this was recycled garbage... both in terms of the movie type and Adam Sandler's typecasting. I'll stay with the original... the remake was a complete insult.

Shaggy2dope
pretty good movie

KidRock
No offense, but see if you feel the way one you reach your latter 20's (sseing as your bio has you listed as 15) and realize just how much of this was recycled garbage... both in terms of the movie type and Adam Sandler's typecasting. I'll stay with the original... the remake was a complete insult.

I dont think the movie was meant for old men like yourself.

Morning_Glory
i loved the Wedding Singer - with Sandler and loved Happy Gilmore.. but all other movies have really bombed to me

LiL nAstY GirL
try 14 wink 15 in July

ragesRemorse

The movie was meant for people who enjoy comedy. where was the comedy?

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Morning_Glory
i loved the Wedding Singer - with Sandler and loved Happy Gilmore.. but all other movies have really bombed to me

You didn't like Billy Madison! That's a classic!

Primitive Screwhead

Sorry, couldn't read that too well... what with my glaucoma and all. Rock, I really can't take offense from someone who probably thought Super Troopers was worthy of an Academy award, so I'll just shake my head in sorrow for your questionable tastes. sick

Originally posted by LiL nAstY GirL
try 14 wink 15 in July

14...15... either way, no offense to my earlier comment. Just one "old man's" opinion.

MC Mike
Great popcorn movie, it was entertaining, that's all I asked.

botankus
Sorry, couldn't read that too well... what with my glaucoma and all.

I hear you. Where's my Alzheimer's medicine?

Wait....what?

tabby999
if you want a decent new modle of the longest yard, go for mean machine, the movie was great and it wasn't full of people slapping each other on the arse trying to be macho and funny. plus i highly doubt there is a single character in The Longest Yard that could get close to being as cool as the Monk from Mean Machine

newmmz
as a whole, i consider the movie a cameo

jnr hiphop
my friend said i should watch it.. he talked about it as if it were heaps good.. and since most posters in this thread say its good.. i think i should watch it..

Jackie Malfoy
Dispite that I do not like either actor who plays in this movie.I still think it looks preetty good and may see it when it comes out on dvd.Other then that I do not really care.JM

faradayslaw
I thought the movie was funny. Kevin Nash probably had the funniest parts in the movie.

T.M
Originally posted by Jackie Malfoy
Dispite that I do not like either actor who plays in this movie.I still think it looks preetty good and may see it when it comes out on dvd.Other then that I do not really care.JM

i would recommend it yes

but then i didnt pay to watch it stick out tongue

Myth
Ok, I liked the new Longest Yard................................... until tonight when I finally saw the original. Typically I like the originals because the idea is new and the newer one isn't as good because the general idea is the same but with a couple twists. This movie is the worse of all remakes because it copies the original verbatim. All the major quotes from the new one were even stolen. I am angry. More angry than with any other remake.

BOPRecruit 16
thought the movie was good. very funny. so sad that chris rock's character died. good music. loved it when the con's made that one guard eat estrogen piles...and then at the game...riot! laughing lmao

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.