Why does no-one like the US but me

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Grand Moff Gav
hello i want to no why the world seems to hate the americans i think they are great but no-one else does,WHY,

KharmaDog
It isn't that people hate americans I travel down there alot and visit friends often. I have alot of respect for some of the members here who are americans also.

I think that the problems that many people have are with the Bush administration, some of the foriegn policies, and they few people who indulge themselves and feed into and proudly exhibit the "ugly american" stereotype.

eggmayo
Hell, I love America compared to the shit-hole I live in, its jsut a lot of Americans do seem to be brash and in your face.

Bardock42
I love America too, I intend to live there after school....but c'mon with that government and the ignorance that is stereotypical for them you have to forgive me to make a joke or two once in a while on their account......I don't mind if people make fun of germany either (in a friendly way of course ( although I don't care if its not friendly either stick out tongue))

eggmayo
You have to laugh at most countries on earth, for their stereotypical gags

Afro Cheese
I like America, but I don't know exactly how much I like it cause I've never been anywhere else. I live in the far south so Canada is pretty far.. and going to Europe is really expensive. Once I get out of the country, then I'll be able to really see what I like/dislike about America in contrast to other countries.

Curl_Up&Dye
Originally posted by Bardock42
I love America too, I intend to live there after school....but c'mon with that government and the ignorance that is stereotypical for them you have to forgive me to make a joke or two once in a while on their account......I don't mind if people make fun of germany either (in a friendly way of course ( although I don't care if its not friendly either stick out tongue))

awww thanks i love you to ya damn nazi

lol jk stick out tongue

RainDancer
America Rox! I think its just the stereotyping that people hate. Of course, I live in America so I don no much about other countries. But has ne1 but me noticed that we have more problems with rapes and gangs and other things than most countries?

eggmayo
Originally posted by Curl_Up&Dye
awww thanks i love you to ya damn nazi

lol jk stick out tongue
Your supposed to be making fun of the hairy teutonic women and excessive cannibalism. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Bardock42
Originally posted by eggmayo
Your supposed to be making fun of the hairy teutonic women and excessive cannibalism. roll eyes (sarcastic)

HEEEEEEEEEYYYYYY mad........whats wrong with cannibalism anyways stick out tongue

whirlysplat
I like a lot of things o do with America. America though is a federal union of some very different states with generally shared values.

We need to remember that especially if we get a fed Europe, NYC is probably about as much like Austin Texas as London is like Paris.

big grin

Mr Parker
They shouldnt hate americans,they should just hate the politicians who run this country.They are the ones that have trashed the declaration of independece and the constitution and have made this country on its way to becoming a police state.The politicians of the country are the people to hate,not the american citizens.

Grand Moff Gav
the only problem with america is that land of the brave was a scottish saying first

PVS
Originally posted by KharmaDog
It isn't that people hate americans I travel down there alot and visit friends often. I have alot of respect for some of the members here who are americans also.

I think that the problems that many people have are with the Bush administration, some of the foriegn policies, and they few people who indulge themselves and feed into and proudly exhibit the "ugly american" stereotype.

yup yes

ditto

Grand Moff Gav
americans are really funny in a good way

PVS
Originally posted by Grand Moff Gav
the only problem with america is that land of the brave was a scottish saying first

actually, its "land of the free and home of the brave"

but many patriotic anthems in america are borrowed. even the national anthem is sung to a melody borrowed from another country. i guess when our country was young, we had many profound poets but lousy song writers stick out tongue

Grand Moff Gav
alot of scots went to the us and maby took thename with them

Fishy
Seeing as America is at this time the only real superpower people Will hate them, nothing you can do about that.

What they do wrong is seen all around the world and looked at in disgust, that the American government is also hypocritical and far more right winged then most European country's doesn't help either. Because of that we start hating the government of a country...

I heavily disagree with most of what the US does, but I've been to the US twice and most of the people i have met were really nice, friendly people. Really nice people... So I decided after returning fro Alaska this summer to never think bad about a US citizen again before I actually knew the guy. The US people aren't that bad... The politicians just suck ass.

Especially those in Alaska... Argueing about who is the bigger gun nut? Yeah if thats how you want to win votes then you need a brain check

Grand Moff Gav
the french dont like americans

Bardock42
the french dont like americans
Americans don't like the French

Grand Moff Gav
i dont like the germans

jk

PVS
Originally posted by Fishy
Especially those in Alaska... Argueing about who is the bigger gun nut? Yeah if thats how you want to win votes then you need a brain check

it's my understanding that in remote areas of alaska it is
actually illegal to walk around outside without a firearm,
due to the danger of being eaten by bears.

Capt_Fantastic

I would go one step further. It isn't just this administration. It's the American government. Our foreign policy is centered only on what is good for us at that moment in time, with no concern how it will effect, or affect, our world standing in the future. But, the truth of the matter is that there is little that can change that fact. I guess that's why we're going to send John Bolton to the UN. Because he likes to tell the rest of the world that they suck and shold be subservient to the US's whims. No matter how true such a statement may be, there is no need to say it out loud.

When you look at situations like the middle east and Korea, we see that these hot beds of terrorist activity seem to "act up" when there are Republicans in power. Why is that? In short, it's all about money. Who we fund, we we allow to be funded, what we take, who we kill, when we kill them, when someone is useful to us...or when they stop being useful, what they have that we want, how much we pay for what we want...or how much we won't. Let's not forget that one of the biggest, most major, issues facing America today in the middle east is Israel. America and the major European powers set up an independant Jewish state...where there wasn't one before WWII. Today, we still fund the nation of Israel, almost exclusively.

We take and do what we want, with no consideration for anyone/thing else. Eventually, that will come back to bite us in the ass. Just as has already started.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by PVS

I hear it's much the same in Israel...despite the bears being there first wink

Grand Moff Gav
who said they dontlik the us

Bardock42
Why is everyone adding a "jk" after posting a joke aboot germans, do you think I get offended What the f**k?

Grand Moff Gav
shut it you nazi

jksmile

yerssot
Why is everyone adding a "jk" after posting a joke aboot germans, do you think I get offended What the f**k?
it's cause we all know they mean the french and not the germans wink

Grand Moff Gav
but the french arnt nazi's there frogs

wuk es't
What the **** why would the french be nazis or frogs?Ya got something against the french? Uh?

Bardock42
Originally posted by yerssot
it's cause we all know they mean the french and not the germans wink

haha that was great

Frogeaters....not frogs

yerssot
you give them too much credit wink

eggmayo
HEEEEEEEEEYYYYYY mad........whats wrong with cannibalism anyways stick out tongue
Depends how they're cooked really.

wuk es't
How dare you!!!!!!

Grand Moff Gav
toads
newts
salamanders
ungly balls of mucas

Bardock42
Depends how they're cooked really.

I like 'em medium stick out tongue

eggmayo
I like 'em medium stick out tongue
Well done here...

Grand Moff Gav
hello jango fatt

Bardock42
Well done here...
Seriously now, that is disgusting sick .......you don't even taste the blood anymore when its well done

wuk es't
hello jango fatt Yo Gav

Grand Moff Gav
so how are you liking the US?

Fishy
Originally posted by PVS

Didn't hear about that, and I saw plenty of national parks

wuk es't
so how are you liking the US?
I like the country
I hate it's government and the stereotype americans
BUt there are more cool americans

Grand Moff Gav
another person said they dont like the US

Fire
Never been to Alaska so I dunno. Personally I like tons of americans, but I dislike their political system and certain parts of their culture.

Grand Moff Gav
why do people vote dont like the US but dont say anything its anoying

wuk es't
Cuz they don't wanna get bashed

Grand Moff Gav
why you change your name

WindDancer
I voted for "Im from the US and people do seem to dislike our country"

Grand Moff Gav
why do you have that view

wuk es't
why you change your name
i more like this one

Grand Moff Gav
i dont call yourself pizza the hutt

yerssot
Originally posted by WindDancer
I voted for "Im from the US and people do seem to dislike our country"
they don't, they dislike you stick out tongue

PVS
hatred for an entire country and all it's people is a product of a bigot mentallity. people like to act all liberal and progressive and join the trend
of hating americans...but blindly become exactly that which they really hate.
what they REALLY hate is other people thinking they are better and more deserving of oxygen then they are. thats how many people view americans, and thus look down on all of us (although they will add a disclaimer that they like SOME americans...which could mean like 2 or 3) by looking down on others, they declare themselves better, and thus hypocrites.

there are plenty of these morons and plenty that frequent this forum.
you know who you are

WindDancer
they don't, they dislike you stick out tongue

But I love everyone. How can they not love me? confused stick out tongue

yerssot
I think it's the entire vengance dealing you have going on ... plus you wear a cape and tights wink

I love the mask though, makes your head looks small

CyberNick
My vote is "I don't like the US". I don't like american's stereotype. Some of U think that in Russia we have only bear, vodka and winter. But I U are not so bad smile. And i hate our government. They meddle in others
internal business (of state). Others countries must solve their problems themselves. They don't disturb U - don't disturb them while situation is under control.
P.S. sorry for my English confused
i must add that i love americans like a people.

G.P
The problem is you see all in black and white. It's either "like" or "dislike"... Where are the other options ?? "I don't care" "I neither like nor dislike " " the US is sometimes weird" "What is the US ?" "What are we eating tonight ? " (on second thought, you can erase that one)

To find the right answer, you must ask the right question.

WindDancer
I think it's the entire vengance dealing you have going on ... plus you wear a cape and tights wink

I love the mask though, makes your head looks small

Sometimes the mask fits too tight. But you'll notice that eventually in my future posts. stick out tongue

manny321
Guys! In Canada way more then 80% of the people like America imo but i think almost two thirds think bush and his governments are idiots. Thats my opinion and the opinion of many people i know. I think thats what many people think around the world.

However imo i think the US has a very ratio of crazy people. Some parts of the US are great while other places scared the crap out of me. Like that hick town in Kansas where two officers were shot down by a "lone wolf*."

*lone wolf is a person who does not believe in the government of the country.

Great country but i rather stay in Canada.

yerssot
cause of lack of oxygen to the brains? wink

Originally posted by G.P
The problem is you see all in black and white. It's either "like" or "dislike"... Where are the other options ?? "I don't care" "I neither like nor dislike " " the US is sometimes weird" "What is the US ?" "What are we eating tonight ? " (on second thought, you can erase that one)

To find the right answer, you must ask the right question.
I could go for a hotdog ... lots of mustard *drool smiley*

Clovie
hello i want to no why the world seems to hate the americans i think they are great but no-one else does,WHY, i don't like mr bush confused

((The_Anomaly))
the world hates the US because:

1) you ignorant of other countries
2) you think you can police the world, and that no one else opinion's matter other then yours
3) your government (especially now) is well hated, for being both 1 and 2
4) you are in general arrogant

now saying that, Americans are those things, however an American (a single person) are generally nice good people.

im Canadian and there's not much difference between Canadians and Americans as people, but Canada is not arrogant, ignorant, nor do we simply throw out other countries opinions. thats why Canada is loved (in general) and the US is despised. even though the people of both Canada and the US are pretty much the same. its the overall attitude of our countries, thats pretty much it.

i draw to the fact that now a lot of Americans are pretending to be Canadian when they go to Europe because they get treated way better.

which i personally find kinda ridiculous, but also funny...

Bardock42
I like Canadians ( if they bring me poutinne that is of course)

bruthaindahood

Im an american and I think bush is an as*****

P.S. Ive been to canada twice and i love it and its people. smile

The .hacker
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
the world hates the US because:

2) you think you can police the world, and that no one else opinion's matter other then yours
3) your government (especially now) is well hated, for being both 1 and 2
4) you are in general arrogant

now saying that, Americans are those things, however an American (a single person) are generally nice good people.

im Canadian and there's not much difference between Canadians and Americans as people, but Canada is not arrogant, ignorant, nor do we simply throw out other countries opinions. thats why Canada is loved (in general) and the US is despised. even though the people of both Canada and the US are pretty much the same. its the overall attitude of our countries, thats pretty much it.

Im american and i say HOORAY!!!!!! To this guy...I hate america it sucks...Everyone in america is snobby...Excluding no one...Everyone in america was snobby at one point and america has no equal for its rudeness to other countries and peoples...Like cerlebrities...They do all of these things to hehlp others just so they can help themselves...So technically thats one reason why i hate America along with the 4 above.....Americans also think they are the most powerfull country in th world...So what if we are...Its no reason to g over to another country and say."We are more powerful so we now own you." And than raise all of there taxes and everything making our govenment more powerful but little children over there starve...Its just not right..

GCG

Other countries ?

I thought in a recent survey, americans didnt even know where America was on the Map of the world !

another point os that some americans preach peace with one hand amd practice war with the other.

((The_Anomaly))
exactly my point, if you dont know where YOU are on the map, then you surly dont know anything about other countries. (you as a general)

thats my point, and why do you think Americans dont know these things?

I'll tell you why, you just dont care...thats all there is too it...

because you are ignorant, and dont care about anyone but yourselves.

now, dont get me wrong, i know quite a few americans, as single people you are nice people....but as a nation, its completely the opposite.

thats why everyone hates you.

PVS
Originally posted by GCG
Other countries ?

I thought in a recent survey, americans didnt even know where America was on the Map of the world !

dude, thats a completely false statistic

PVS
now, dont get me wrong, i know quite a few americans, as single people you are nice people....but as a nation, its completely the opposite.

thats why everyone hates you.

that makes zero sense. not to jump all over you, but thats a direct contradiction, and just seems like a justification for blind prejudice matched with a convenient disclaimer so that "quite a few" americans wont feel offended

every nation in the world has a$$holes in power, who give misery to those they have control over. every country has an unsilent minority of a$$holes who bleat the loudest, yet know the least of their leaders and the world around them. only difference is that america is a superpower (empire), and shit rolls downhill.

but why is it that all other nations remain squeaky clean even after dealings with bush, and siding with him in his "coalition of the willing". why does everyone get off clean, but all america alone is labled as 'evil'? i notice this attitude with many british (not to generalise, but there are some on this board from the u.k. that actually attempted to convince me that the blame for the hellhole in iraq is not shared with the u.k.

and thats the prevailing attitude i see. so many people on high horses pointing their fingers and calling everyone in america ignorant and making up statistics to back up their prejudice. but isnt prejudice and misinformation the foundation of ignorance?

KharmaDog
Geographic literacy is a problem with youths the world over, but seems a larger problem in america than it does in most other industrialized nations:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/11/1126_021120_TVGeoRoperSurvey.html

http://geosurvey.nationalgeographic.com/geosurvey/highlights.html

I have seen studies that 10% of american children can't find the U.S. on a world map, over 20% don't know who is president, and up to 25% can't name all the states that border their own. I don't see that as a reason to hate america though, although it would definitely upset me if I were an american.

PVS
Geographic literacy is a problem with youths the world over, but seems a larger problem in america than it does in most other industrialized nations:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/11/1126_021120_TVGeoRoperSurvey.html

I have seen studies that 10% of american children can't find the U.S. on a world map, over 20% don't know who is president, and up to 25% can't name all the states that border their own. I don't see that as a reason to hate america though, although it would definitely upset me if I were an american.

that illustrates a tragic flaw in our system of education. however, curriculum varies greatly and many areas just cheat kids out of a good education. i appreciate that you put up genuine statistics though. and it is very disturbing what certain school boards get away with. to me the biggest problem in america is that those who have the greatest responsibility only care about the paycheck and refuse to do their jobs, from school boards all the way up to the presidency.

the statistics you posted are genuine and serve the purpose of illustrating our need for a universal curriculum, which does not allow certain school boards to skip on their responsibility to the kids, to their country. it says "we have a huge problem which needs to be fixed", which is productive, as opposed to "HAHAHAHAHAHA you americans are so stupid!!!" which is not productive at all.

AdventChild
americans are very cocky....that's just a fact....i mean they do have a reason to be cocky......considering they are the one of the most powerful coutries there are if not the most powerful country there is at the momment....................

Big Evil
There is no hatred, that's all made-up liberal hype.

If America was hated we would not trade with as many countries as we do.
If America was hated people wouldn't ask our goverment to fund thier happy-pappy asses like they do.
If America was hated the U.N. would not be located here.
If America was hated we would not have such loyal frineds like Isral and England by our side in every descision.
If America was hated we wouldn't be the first country both tourists and foreighners love to visit and or migrate too.

Therfore this "America is arrogant blahblahblah" bullshit is false, maybe we ARE a little stuck on ourselves, it is true that most Americans have no idea of the world outside themselves as far as social poltices and traditions go, but if you were a rich ***** you'd do the same thing.

Infact America IS like the spoiled rich kid of the neighborhood. Thier nice enough, but they have no common sense so they can get a little annoying, but they're a good friend and always willing to lend you cash to buy ice-cream. You feel kindof bad for them cause sometimes people use them just CAUSE thier the rich boy, or pick on them out of jealousy, the rich boy has low self-esteem and just wants to be one of the guys. Give America a pat on the back you bitches or don't play ball with us.. Afterall it was America who's yard you're probably playing in..

lil bitchiness
American foreign policy. The ignorance of some Americans about the rest of the world. Or the fact that there is the rest of the world for that matter.

My University professor has this on his wall -

http://img190.echo.cx/img190/7554/worldaccordingtoamerica9tr.png

pr1983
laughing lil... gold...

Trickster
Trade is nesscessary - that's not really a piece of evidence that America is loved.

Governments ask other governments for favours. It's like that time in school you needed a pencil, but you borrowed one of that guy you didn't really like because he was the guy with the most pencils in the class stick out tongue

If America was less powerful the U.N. would not be located here.

The anti-war marches in England were quite impressive - I didn't hear of any of respectable numbers in America. Again, it's the governments sucking up to governments business.

America as a nation isn't well liked. However, it is still a place where eac person is nicer than the country as a whole. It is also a really good place to go to on holiday.
Going back to the metaphor above - it's the rich kid's party, and his place is really awesome. He's given an open invitation to the class - just cos you don't like him, you'll still go, because you can avoid him (as when you are in America you talk to individual Americans, not the nation as a whole).

Trickster
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
I hear it's much the same in Israel...despite the bears being there first wink

Hehe.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by Big Evil
There is no hatred, that's all made-up liberal hype.

Travel around, you will see hatred, ever notice other countries on TV burning your flag? Well that's not a party where everybody is celebrating a deep respect and admiration for you.

If America was hated we would not trade with as many countries as we do.

That's not an issue of love or hate or even respect, that's an issue of economics.

If America was hated people wouldn't ask our goverment to fund thier happy-pappy asses like they do.

That's not an issue of love or hate or even respect, that's just people asking you for something because they want or need it. Perhaps they're even taking advantage of the situation.

If America was hated the U.N. would not be located here.

The decided location of a building built many years ago has no relevance pertaining to the perceived like or dislike of the Nation that it was built in so many years later.

If America was hated we would not have such loyal frineds like Isral and England by our side in every descision.

First you are assuming that everyone in those countries like everyone in your country, i doubt that's true. Second you are also not addressing that alliances are often not based on friendship, but mutual goals or assistance.

If America was hated we wouldn't be the first country both tourists and foreighners love to visit and or migrate too.

I wasn't aware that the U.S. was the tourist capital of the world.

Therfore this "America is arrogant blahblahblah" bullshit is false, maybe we ARE a little stuck on ourselves, it is true that most Americans have no idea of the world outside themselves as far as social poltices and traditions go, but if you were a rich ***** you'd do the same thing.

You do realize that you said the perception of Americans as arrogant was false, then you went on to give examples why americans might be arrogant, and then a justification for that arrogance. You do see the flaw in that don't you?

Infact America IS like the spoiled rich kid of the neighborhood. Thier nice enough, but they have no common sense so they can get a little annoying, but they're a good friend and always willing to lend you cash to buy ice-cream. You feel kindof bad for them cause sometimes people use them just CAUSE thier the rich boy, or pick on them out of jealousy, the rich boy has low self-esteem and just wants to be one of the guys. Give America a pat on the back you bitches or don't play ball with us.. Afterall it was America who's yard you're probably playing in..

The point you are trying to make in this little diatribe is a little off. America, if it were seen as the spoiled little rich kid on the block, would not be worthy of pity. It would be the kid who bullies other kids around both because of its monetary and physical superiority.

Just about every point you made proved, well, pointless. If you are not willing to accept that some people or nations hate your country, perhaps that might be one of the reasons some people hate your country.

KharmaDog
Damn trickster made the same points (or thereabouts) before me as I was posting.

Lil, the map is pretty damn funny.

Trickster
Damn trickster made the same points (or thereabouts) before me as I was posting.

Lil, the map is pretty damn funny.

Yeah. Well, at least great minds think alike.

I just want to point out one other thing.

What arrogance? Sheesh, of course America has the right to claim the world as it's back yard!

lil bitchiness
Recently I was doing some reviewing of the literature on the American Foreign policy.

As far as I understand, Americans have recognised themselves as the world leader, and thus with the responsibility to ''fix the world'' (to put it lightly)...even though fixing the world for most part means making it worse, depending on which side of the fence you're standing.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by Trickster
What arrogance? Sheesh, of course America has the right to claim the world as it's back yard!

Yes, that made me laugh as it was immediately preceded by:

Therfore this "America is arrogant blahblahblah" bullshit is false,

Trickster
Gotta love some arguements, eh? stick out tongue

((The_Anomaly))
maybe you misunderstood me, im not talking about Iraq. Im talking about the social attitude in America. you all think you are the best, and that whatever you say goes. that is arrogant and annoys most other nations. im not talking about government, im talking about the overall citizens of the US and thier attitudes. however, if you talk to individual Americans your nice people, I hardly think thats contradictory.

if you want to try to argue that, sure thats fine...but unfortunately thats how most of the world feels about the US.

manny321
Come on at least 97% present of Canadians know that the President of the US is Bush, however only 85% of people knew the prime minister of Canada is Paul martin. Source CBC (Canadian broadcast network)

I think your knowledge of the world depends in how diverse the area you live in is. If its diverse you know things about other people and cultures. But if its not diverse you only get to know about your country and culture.
Also many people in Western countries think everyone is poor in Asia!! Yeah one guy thinks India is a place where everyone's poor. I have been to India and yes there are poor but there is a middle class of over 200 million people in that country and many people are very rich there. So the things is the divide between rich and poor is bigger in Asia and Africa.

PVS
you all think you are the best, and that whatever you say goes. that is arrogant and annoys most other nations.

please review this statement and you will understand why it's a complete hypocricy.

Fishy
Sorry PVS but he did say something about that

botankus
Originally posted by manny321
Come on at least 97% present of Canadians know that the President of the US is Bush, however only 85% of people knew the prime minister of Canada is Paul martin. Source CBC (Canadian broadcast network)

*looking for search engine results on Paul Martin.....still waiting for feedback....still waiting....gives up and shuts computer down*

Fishy
Originally posted by botankus
*looking for search engine results on Paul Martin.....still waiting for feedback....still waiting....gives up and shuts computer down*

He has a point there, its only natural for more people to know Bush then for people to know who the president of "insert random country name" is

PVS
Originally posted by Fishy
Sorry PVS but he did say something about that

then i guess i am not part of the collective "you all"
so who does "you all" include? are we reading the same post?

manny321
I got 31,000,000 pages on Paul martin on Yahoo in 0.10 sec???

KharmaDog
He was making a joke manny.

botankus
I got 31,000,000 pages on Paul martin on Yahoo in 0.10 sec???

And after result #8 they stop being about the Prime Minister.

Trickster

I think your knowledge of the world depends in how diverse the area you live in is. If its diverse you know things about other people and cultures. But if its not diverse you only get to know about your country and culture.
Also many people in Western countries think everyone is poor in Asia!! Yeah one guy thinks India is a place where everyone's poor. I have been to India and yes there are poor but there is a middle class of over 200 million people in that country and many people are very rich there. So the things is the divide between rich and poor is bigger in Asia and Africa.

You've been to India, and you have to admit that they are on average less well off than the Western world.

There's rich people pretty much everywhere, but it's the gap. If you flew through any of the big cities, you know what I mean by the shanty towns. There's none of that in western countries.

Trickster
Originally posted by PVS
then i guess i am not part of the collective "you all"
so who does "you all" include? are we reading the same post?

If you look earlier, he is referring to "you all" as a nation, not as a mass of people.

PVS
maybe is a language barrier then

"you all" means "every one of you"

Trickster
Yes, it does, but he made clear what he meant earlier in the thread.

GCG

The second link is exactly what I had in mind ; Thaknks for postiing Kharmadog

KharmaDog
No problem, glad to be of service and happy to make a post where I don't get bitched at immediately afterwards. big grin

Big Evil
Didn't your momma ever teach you not to care what other people think?

Or are you one of those emo kids who cuts themself to soothe the pain? Go write some dark poetry gothy. \m/ evil face \m/

KharmaDog

Or are you one of those emo kids who cuts themself to soothe the pain? Go write some dark poetry gothy. \m/ evil face \m/

Who are you talking to..and what are you talking about?

GCG
I think he is saying that being american his momma told thought him not to care about what people think. Therfore he admits that being american he doesnt care about what anyone thinks.

Gryn Jabar
I love America. I really do. Republics give me a hard on.

KharmaDog
Thanks CGC, you should look into getting a job as an interpreter.

Trickster
EDIT

Trickster

Wow, that's incredibly offensive to a lot of people. Including me, and anyone else who knows somebody who cuts themselves.

Also, I don't understand this Emo thing... I'm gunna make another thread.

Andrew McLeod
I don't like Americans very much...lol. Ignorance is what does it. Find me an american that knows Canada's problems and Canadian history or any facts about Canada. Hardly any. Now find a Canadian with knowledge on the USA. It's quite easy. Americans just seem to think they're so much better than other countries...it's like no other countries exist. I dunno, maybe I've just had bad luck with knowing the wrong americans...

stingray005
America's awesome

We're the richest and fattest country in the world. BOO YAH big grin

GCG
That puts light on why terrorists say 'the belly of the infidel' no expression

((The_Anomaly))
Originally posted by PVS
please review this statement and you will understand why it's a complete hypocricy.

ok, you still misunderstand me. when i say "your all" im talking in a general term.

but rather then me keep telling you why people hate the US, why dont you tell me....

because most of the world does thats a fact, so if im not right then id like you to tell me please...

fruits
ok, well im a boy scout, so i kinda am obligated to LOVE this country, and i do. its awesome, but i do think that other ppl dont like our country, mainly cuz we're better then everyone else (or we always try to be better then everyone else) and we always assume ourselves as the superior country. i dunno, i bet it just gets on a bunch of ppl's nerves

PVS
ok, you still misunderstand me. when i say "your all" im talking in a general term.

but rather then me keep telling you why people hate the US, why dont you tell me....

because most of the world does thats a fact, so if im not right then id like you to tell me please...

i believe many people are aware of the misdeeds of our government, and place blame where it belongs, as they would with any offending nation. i never hear "f*** england" but i do often hear "f*** tony blair"
same for america.

then there are ignorant people who stretch it out and use it as a means to endulge in their prejudice nature. these people hate all americans (except for americans who hate their own country)

the first group has a legitimate arguement and the second group makes the first look like a$$holes and dumbs down their arguement.

thats the way i see it anyway

Trickster
Like I say, that's cos of the protests against Tony Blair and the war in Iraq. I think it was at least a million people that marched in London. Was there any equivilant in the US?

Fire
Originally posted by fruits
but i do think that other ppl dont like our country, mainly cuz we're better then everyone else (or we always try to be better then everyone else) and we always assume ourselves as the superior country. i dunno, i bet it just gets on a bunch of ppl's nerves

Those are indeed reasons to dislike US citizens, no reason to dislike the US. Besides that view of "we are better than everyone else" to me often comes across as a thought of what americans think, europeans think about them. The opposit is actually more and more true.

More and more people here (in europe) are starting to see that the american society is not one they wish to imitate.

Grand Moff Gav
Originally posted by stingray005
America's awesome

and dumbest smile

botankus
Originally posted by stingray005
America's awesome

and dumbest smile

I love mentally stimulating debates.

PVS
Like I say, that's cos of the protests against Tony Blair and the war in Iraq. I think it was at least a million people that marched in London. Was there any equivilant in the US?

yes there was actually. several in fact. the most notorious being
the republican national convention, where peaceful protesters practicing their
right as "free" americans were herded into an abandoned building by authorities and left locked in there with no food, water, or facilities.

your question does illustrate part of whats wrong with the attitude of people outside america. protests in america are muffled by the 'liberal bias' media, and though over a million people gather, the story is fortunate to reach page 6 of the paper. people on the outside who get their info from the same source hear nothing of these protests and thus assume that americans just dont care.
well i will grant that many dont, but the people who do care are in no way a minority. about 50% of VOTING americans voted for bush and his war, while the other half of voters were clearly against. people like to think that it was not the case.

i just wish prejudice and presumption would not be included in debates over america. we have many overly assertive a$$holes living here, whos numbers seem far greater because they tend to bleat the loudest, but also a far greater majority of conscious and aware people, who want all this shit set right....just like every other country.

Fire
In belgium they showed American protest marches against the war

Mainstream
and dumbest smile

tsk tsk...

nupOriginally posted by botankus
I love mentally stimulating debates.

indeed

KharmaDog
Originally posted by PVS
yes there was actually. several in fact. the most notorious being
the republican national convention, where peaceful protesters practicing their
right as "free" americans were herded into an abandoned building by authorities and left locked in there with no food, water, or facilities.

Holy Crap, I never heard about that! I can't believe that all bloody hell wasn't raised over that!

PVS
ill go dig up the article

PVS
here's a couple

http://cbsnewyork.com/topstories/topstoriesny_story_245163526.html

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6560653/

Bardock42
I heard that peopel in the US (I think NYC and WDC) protested but nothing more specific. More like "Today many people protested the war in Iraq, in Berlin was a....blah, blah ....Rome....Paris.....in the New york and Washington there were protests too"

Fire
aah no we got some footage too

KharmaDog
Thanks PVS. That actually kind of disturbing.

Fire
It's very disturbing now that's the start of a police state

Grand Moff Gav
whats wrong witht a police state??

Fire
a lot

lil bitchiness
Like I said before, this is my personal view on this, but to me America is the irony of itself.

It was supposed to be the land of the brave and the land of the free, but, ironically, everyone in America is ultra paranoid, and quater of worlds prison population is imprisoned in america. Hehehe...''land of the brave and free''...

Fire
what nation, except a police state, would look up people without food water and facilities for protesting.

PVS
they were arrested with no means of contacting anyone, be it family or a lawyer. they were arrested simply for being there and practicing their constitutional right.

the whole point i make is that there IS a filter in the media and it certainly is not 'liberal bias' or this would have been front page for a long time.

most americans DO care, many americans protest, many are fully against this war, but our voices and actions are either distorted our muffled. people assume we dont give a shit because of lack of coverage in the media, and then turn around and accuse americans of being overly dependant on the media and only believing what they hear and more to the point DONT hear. so it looks like we are ALL dependant on the media, doesnt it?

thats why when i see people from other countries look down on americans and generalise and act like prejudice shits, it annoys the hell out of me. "you americans dont think for yourselves, you only borrow opinions from the media!!! i know because i read it in an article!!!" see what i mean?

botankus
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
everyone in America is ultra paranoid

I'm not paranoid...and, aside from maybe my aunt on occasion, don't know anyone who is.

Where (besides the media, who'll print anything) is this information coming from?

WindDancer
They like to paint all americans as a bunch of scary wimps. People who over generalize are utterly idiotic. Thats my personal view on this whole issue.

Trickster
Originally posted by PVS
here's a couple

http://cbsnewyork.com/topstories/topstoriesny_story_245163526.html

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6560653/

Well, I don't think it was widely broadcast. The most I knew about protest groups was that some were being harassed by the federal agencies.

I do apologise, PVS. Certainly I hardly got any notion of protest - the media's fault, of course, but on one report I saw it said most Americans were for the war.

Grand Moff Gav
I'm not paranoid...and, aside from maybe my aunt on occasion, don't know anyone who is.

Where (besides the media, who'll print anything) is this information coming from?

the media are the scum of the west they say anything and print anything you cant trust what they say espicially in a police state

PVS
Well, I don't think it was widely broadcast. The most I knew about protest groups was that some were being harassed by the federal agencies.

I do apologise, PVS. Certainly I hardly got any notion of protest - the media's fault, of course, but on one report I saw it said most Americans were for the war.

no need for apologies wink

i just hope other people understand as well as you have,
that we are all dependant on, and victims of the media.
the media tells us that the rest of the world hates our guts, thinks
we are all idiots, believes that we all support world domination.
they tell you that we all hate your guts, we dont even know where
your country is on a map, and we could care less if you all die.
they repeat their lies over and over until we believe it. and really, how
else can we know whats going on outside our immediate view without
the media? we cant. and they know that, and thats why they dont give a shit.

the only thing that keeps them making money is fear. without fear,
people dont care, or at least their care is casual. the media doesnt
report news, it SELLS news. and that is why its so bias and distorted,
because the incentive to report is ratings, and not to be a servant to the
public.

Grand Moff Gav
perhaps we should put restrictoins on the media but then you get a Hitler style dictatorship

PVS
restrictions? no no no

quite the opposite. take away their incentive.
take n.p.r. although bill oreilly likes to squawk that our taxes pay for
it, they in fact only pay a small percentage. its publicly funded news.
every 6 months or so they have a drive to raise money/

point is, there is no giant media conglomerate forcing them to 'sex up' their news. there is no need to keep people afraid, just informed. they report, but they dont sell. that is the way the media SHOULD be. instead, its all about the dollars, and giving us all ulcers.

Grand Moff Gav
the best media coorporation os the Beep or if you want the BBC the first the last and no adverts!!!!!

DarkCrawler
I don't hate America.

I just hate Bush.

Grand Moff Gav
why

lil bitchiness

From the facts of how many Americans carry guns because they are afraid they'll get killed.
From the facts of how ultra paranoid your country is, especially when it comes to people flying into the country.
From the very constitutions which strip you of your rights in the name of ''protection against terrorism''

etc..etc..etc.

botankus
Okay, I believe you, but I just don't see it in my everyday life.

Maybe one day I'll be paranoid.

lil bitchiness
My apologies, it was a mistake to say ''all'' americans are paranoid - because evidently it isnt so.

Afro Cheese
You can't believe everything you see on TV. I personally don't know anyone who still worries about terrorism. People worry more about local crime than they do about terrorism. At least around here.

The only time I ever see people get paranoid about terrorism is when major events are about to take place. Like the Super Bowl, Olympics, etc.

PVS
in america, many people who are justified in being paranoid are not (nyc for example) and many of those who have nothing to be paranoid about, are. (east bumblef*** north dakota)

Fire
You know that new bill they are going to (or already have) accept(ed) in Florida the so called "Kill bill" That's bloody insane.

Afro Cheese
You mean that new gun law? I heard about it on the Daily Show.

Fire
Yep, it's bloody nuts (atleast as far as what I know about it, which issmile that you can use deadly force, if you feel your life is in danger. Is that about right?

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>