Do the media have to much freedom?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Filth
This is something that came up in my life recently, basically the story goes something like this. I was jumped by some kids a few weeks ago and I reported this event, then in todays paper the story was printed, though it named no names it was however done without my consent, this paper has every legal right to print this story, however I think I should of been consulted as it was a rather traumatizing incident and I would prefer for it not to be printed.

So give me your views, should the papers be able to print anything they hear or should the party/party's involved be consulted?

Bardock42
I think the press should have as much freedom as possible, I also belive that it should take some moral responsebility though

Filth
Originally posted by Bardock42
I think the press should have as much freedom as possible, I also belive that it should take some moral responsebility though

Nice point, they think with there wallets and not there brains...

Bardock42
Originally posted by Filth
Nice point, they think with there wallets and not there brains...

They do today too much, it wasn't always likke that....in earlier times they had ideals, moral standards and stuff....now they often are just filthy (haha forgive me for that joke) or puppets of bigger companies

Filth
They do today too much, it wasn't always likke that....in earlier times they had ideals, moral standards and stuff....now they often are just filthy (haha forgive me for that joke) or puppets of bigger companies

I wish it were like the old times when they had morals, these days they properly cant spell moral.

BackFire
This is something that came up in my life recently, basically the story goes something like this. I was jumped by some kids a few weeks ago and I reported this event, then in todays paper the story was printed, though it named no names it was however done without my consent, this paper has every legal right to print this story, however I think I should of been consulted as it was a rather traumatizing incident and I would prefer for it not to be printed.

So give me your views, should the papers be able to print anything they hear or should the party/party's involved be consulted?

They did nothing wrong, as long as they didn't use your name I don't see a problem.

Filth
Originally posted by BackFire
They did nothing wrong, as long as they didn't use your name I don't see a problem.

The point is that I was not informed of this.

silver_tears
They did too do something wrong.
Unless he was reporting the incident to them, they have no right to print anything about it.

KharmaDog
Unless they used your name, they have no responsibility to inform you of them running a story regarding what happened to you.

As for freedom of the press, unfortunately the press is becoming more entertainment than anything. I look at paparazzi photographers and tabloid reporters or even so-called media figures like Bill O'Rielly or Sean Hannity and I think that the media takes too many liberties and not enough responsibility.

Then I look at journalists who are trying to actually report on world event and different administrations or gov'ts or even their own bosses are holding them back.

bilb

I agree, the whole point of the press is to report news.. this was an event that happened and was deemed newsworthy. I understand that you feel slighted in some wayand I am sorry this happened to you.. but as far as do they have the right to do this.. then the answer is yes. And BF is right, they used no names so I see no harm in it.

Filth
Because the point is that it is no news as it concerns nobody else, it is not important knowledge. Also the tone of the whole article was relay malicious
"The 17 year old dressed as a goth"
^whats that got to do with it?

BackFire
The point is that I was not informed of this.

They don't need to inform you, seeing as they're not referencing you in a way that the public could recognize. Your anonymity was kept safe.

Mr Parker

I agree.

Filth
But thats the thing most people know it was me anyways, most liky I am gonna get some shit of people about it, basically I would off expected to of been informed, not because they have to (which they dont), because of moral grounds.

BackFire
Come on now, you konw the media has no morals.

bilb
Because the point is that it is no news as it concerns nobody else, it is not important knowledge. Also the tone of the whole article was relay malicious
"The 17 year old dressed as a goth"
^whats that got to do with it?

First of all.. is this true? and secondly you failed to mention this previously. Yes ho one dresses should have no bearing on how they are treated but it sounds like this runs a bit deeper than a simple news article with you...

Jackie Malfoy
That's right it does not.And I do not think we have enough freedom.jm

Filth
Originally posted by bilb
First of all.. is this true? and secondly you failed to mention this previously. Yes ho one dresses should have no bearing on how they are treated but it sounds like this runs a bit deeper than a simple news article with you...

I cling to the old way in which I was brought up and it pisses me of that they make a point and how I dress, they way the artical was printed seemed to me as if it was a this was a threat to anyone else. I get very pissed of with sterotyping that is why it runs deeper, i just dont understand what me dressing like a "goth" has to do with anything.

Capt_Fantastic
The only non-biased media reporting that I've ever really heard is on NPR.(national public radio) Wonder why that is? Because they aren't owned by some special interest controlled conglomerant that has it's own agenda in mind. So, no...the media doesn't have too much freedom.

PVS
just dont understand what me dressing like a "goth" has to do with anything.

simple: because the media are a bunch of scumbags and whores.

they would rather throw a sensasionalist spin on the story in order to stir cheap emotions like "THOSE GODDAMN GOTHS HAVE IT COMIN TO THEM!!!!" or a reaction just like you gave.

rather than report a story for what it is they would rather push hot buttons in order to 'sex up' their article.

Filth
On a side note the article was called "14 year old boy de-sensitised to violence", now please excuse my logic but they seem to be giving a reason for him...

KharmaDog
If you are that upset, send a letter or meet with the editor.

Filth
Originally posted by KharmaDog
If you are that upset, send a letter or meet with the editor.

And I plan to, however corporate scum never listen...

KharmaDog
And I plan to, however corporate scum never listen...

If you are going to walk in there with that attitude, then don't even bother going. It's kinda funny how you criticized them for passing judgement on you because you are a goth, and yet you are calling a person you haven't even met scum.

Filth
If you are going to walk in there with that attitude, then don't even bother going. It's kinda funny how you criticized them for passing judgement on you because you are a goth, and yet you are calling a person you haven't even met scum.

Hmm you are right... i must loose the attitude when i speak with them.

Bardock42
You shouldn'T have the attitude in the first place

Filth
You shouldn'T have the attitude in the first place

I feel I have a right to be pissed of, they wrote a story about me that was bull shit and bias....

Capt_Fantastic
Well, was this like your local city paper? In what city do you live? Because if you live in a small city, and the local paper published it...then calling them "corporate scum" would likely not only be a waste of time...but inaccurate as well.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by Jackie Malfoy
That's right it does not.And I do not think we have enough freedom.jm

To what is this comment referring to?

Capt_Fantastic
To what is this comment referring to?

why even ask?

DeRFmAn
Filth:

1)I'm sorry that it happened to you.

2)It sucks that the paper put it that way.

3)Learn to spell and use grammar correctly.

4)Get over it, there are things worse then that out there.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
why even ask?

morbid curiosity

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.