Why doesn't anyone like France?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Morgoths_Wrath
Seems to me like some people have issues with the French. How do YOU feel about French people?

Imaginary
Only one pro-France option? confused

rubber dickie
they refuse to discover soap and shaving.

DeRFmAn
Originally posted by rubber dickie

werd Happy Dance

jaden101
to paraphrase edward longshanks

"the problem with france...is that its full of french"

pr1983
Nothing wrong with france whatsoever... not anymore than most other countries anyway...

Fire
I don't like the french, but only cause they speak french else they're cool (like G.P)

I'd love to move there, where houses are still cheap, but they speak french ARGH

Fishy
I agree with Fire, except for that incredibly stupid language they are pretty okay..

Most of them should stop feeling superior to the rest however and learn English. But for the rest they are cool, there isn't a nation in the world with as many revolutions as France

Fire
Hey there are some who know english, like G.P

I can understand french, I just can't speak it very well

Piggle Humsy
They're streets are full of shit
Most are rude, Ignorant and they hold grudges....

Clovie
i have no feeling towards them

but i heard a joke about french ninja
something about that their tanks has four gears backwards and one to the front.
and that one to the front is because enemy attact from the back sometimes

confused

Fishy
Originally posted by Piggle Humsy
They're streets are full of shit
Most are rude, Ignorant and they hold grudges....

You've never been to Paris have you?

Rude and ignorant? Well in Paris they drive like shit but they are far from rude never noticed anything like that.. Those people seemed nice enough. Ignorant? Now thats just crap they are not anymore ignorant then most people... Which is still ignorant but not really all that bad, and hold grudges? Well I never pissed of a French person so I wouldn't know. Seems like you are generalising...

Where do you live? And have you ever been to France?

Piggle Humsy
Originally posted by Fishy
You've never been to Paris have you?

Rude and ignorant? Well in Paris they drive like shit but they are far from rude never noticed anything like that.. Those people seemed nice enough. Ignorant? Now thats just crap they are not anymore ignorant then most people... Which is still ignorant but not really all that bad, and hold grudges? Well I never pissed of a French person so I wouldn't know. Seems like you are generalising...

Where do you live? And have you ever been to France?

I live just outside London & Yes I've been to france a few times, I also have family of friends that live there.
I meant Rude & ignorant in their driving mostly... they'll ram you outta the way to get a parking space!! crazy! wacko
I haven't been to paris and I'm sure they are nicer there...it seems a lovely place to live from what I see so that would probably make ppl more pleasant.

And grudges.. well I admit some of it has to do with football embarrasment

Anyways it's just my opinion...

Fishy
Originally posted by Piggle Humsy
I live just outside London & Yes I've been to france a few times, I also have family of friends that live there.
I meant Rude & ignorant in their driving mostly... they'll ram you outta the way to get a parking space!! crazy! wacko
I haven't been to paris and I'm sure they are nicer there...it seems a lovely place to live from what I see so that would probably make ppl more pleasant.

And grudges.. well I admit some of it has to do with football embarrasment

Anyways it's just my opinion...

Well with football I completely agree smile But thats a European thing, all country's do it.

And driving, well I agree they drive like insane maniacs..

Piggle Humsy
Originally posted by Fishy
Well with football I completely agree smile But thats a European thing, all country's do it.

And driving, well I agree they drive like insane maniacs..

yes

One time we were pulling into a supermarket parking space and this french guy almost took the front end of our car off as he sped into it!
Complete nut job!

Fire
a lot of people here use a lot of stereotypes, now I ain't saying they are all wrong. I'm just saying that it's generalizing. I know quite a few well educated and pleasant french ppl.

I_own_j00
they are just stupid is all

Fishy
Says the guy with a name like that...

whirlysplat
I like france and I am English. In fact I have worked with a lot of French people and liked almost all of them!!!!!

Jackie Malfoy
No one I know hates france and I do not see why anyone would.JM

nutella-spatz
It's the language that bugs me, otherwise it is just a country with people, just like us.

((only on every f'cking exchange, every French boy and girl are on drugs. erm Seems to be pretty common there.))

Jedi_KnightAlly
They're unappreciative. If it wasn't for Britain and America they'd be speaking german.

But When the EU (or something like that was founded) they tried to stop us from joining!! Dirty little b*stards.

Morbid4Daniel
I have nothing against. Actually, ever since that episode of Lost, I've had a small fascination with France and the French Language smile

G.P
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/atil/forum/baguette.gif

Am I supposed to interfere with this ?

Just one thing: we do learn English... Happy Dance

KharmaDog
Originally posted by Jedi_KnightAlly
They're unappreciative. If it wasn't for Britain and America they'd be speaking german.

You do know that Canada, Australia and a bunch of other nations helped out in that little endeavour as WW2 don't you? Don't want you to sound unappreciative of the help of others.

AdventChild
didn't the french piss on all the graves of the american ww2 folks? if that's so then i really have a dislike for them...

pr1983
Originally posted by KharmaDog
You do know that Canada, Australia and a bunch of other nations helped out in that little endeavour as WW2 don't you? Don't want you to sound unappreciative of the help of others.

add ireland and the french resistance to that list...

Clovie
Originally posted by KharmaDog
You do know that Canada, Australia and a bunch of other nations helped out in that little endeavour as WW2 don't you? Don't want you to sound unappreciative of the help of others. we have the third number of killed ppl confused (or something like that)

and no one remembers we were there cry

*mumbles*it was only americans who won the war madcry

Mainstream
whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa....don't knock the US of A kiddo.

Jedi_KnightAlly
Originally posted by AdventChild
didn't the french piss on all the graves of the american ww2 folks? if that's so then i really have a dislike for them...

I dunno about that. I don't think their that unapreciative.

Sorry for leaving them out of the list. Australia, canada, ireland and all other countrys all desevre their dues for being in the war.

Clovie
Originally posted by Mainstream
whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa....don't knock the US of A kiddo. huuh? erm

Mainstream
I was built in the USA girlie.soundwave

Clovie
Originally posted by Mainstream
I was built in the USA girlie.soundwave good for you i guess

Mainstream
indeed it is

OB1-adobe
I don't necessarly hate french people.

I have met quite a few that smell god awful.

Mostly I just hated Paris. It was dirty, crowded, and the subways smelled..........BAD sick

Trickster
Originally posted by Jedi_KnightAlly

But When the EU (or something like that was founded) they tried to stop us from joining!! Dirty little b*stards.

And they just voted no on the constitution, I think. Which ****s things up for everyone else.

G.P
didn't the french piss on all the graves of the american ww2 folks? if that's so then i really have a dislike for them... What the hell... ???? confused1

WindDancer
I voted for Bush and I like the French and I don't have any problems with them. So yes, people like me exist out there. Better believe it folks.

nutella-spatz
Originally posted by G.P
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/atil/forum/baguette.gif

Am I supposed to interfere with this ?

Just one thing: we do learn English... Happy Dance

Actually in a really crappy way. When I was there on exchange for one week some of them tried to tell us we were to go to a little beach that very day. Well, surprisingly -everyone- understood little b*tch, so we were quite confused. laughing out loud

And I didn't like Paris too, when we went there as classtrip. Tweo friends and I spend hours to find a Pizza Hut and when we found one, it tasted aweful. erm

And, ah yea right. Since I ate at a McDonalds in France I never went there again. sick

But otherwise the country is quite fine and not different than others. happy stick out tongue

lil bitchiness
French people are ultra cool and fabulous. No need for jealousy flirt1

Blue Dragon
They nick our lorries I heard...

G.P
Originally posted by nutella-spatz
Actually in a really crappy way. When I was there on exchange for one week some of them tried to tell us we were to go to a little beach that very day. Well, surprisingly -everyone- understood little b*tch, so we were quite confused. laughing out loud

And I didn't like Paris too, when we went there as classtrip. Tweo friends and I spend hours to find a Pizza Hut and when we found one, it tasted aweful. erm

And, ah yea right. Since I ate at a McDonalds in France I never went there again. sick

But otherwise the country is quite fine and not different than others. happy stick out tongue Pizza Hut & McDonald's ??? You're kidding. What would happen if I judge the other countries on the taste of the claret, the baguettes or the cheese I can find there...? wink

KharmaDog
All the places to eat in Paris, and someone looks for a McDonald's or Pizza Hut? The should have their Visa's confiscated.

yerssot
when I blaim the french, I just do that to kid around

anyone that dislikes a country is hugely generalising... it's like (as probably been said here already) saying americans are fat (McD)an stupid (for picking Bush)
you can make such claims for every country... it just works easier for the french winkstick out tongue

EDIT: ow, and can people next time when they talk about history please educate themselves before opening their mouths? the entire "USA won WWII"-argument as to why we should worship the mighty dollar is incorrect

eggmayo
French people annoy me... when you go to the country, you try your hardest to learn some useful phrases, and go into your local baker or deli... they have no idea what your talking about, and talk fast in french. When you say it slower in french, they still have no idea, and eventually you will discover they speak fluent english... its just so annoying

WindDancer
Originally posted by yerssot

anyone that dislikes a country is hugely generalising... it's like (as probably been said here already) saying americans are fat (McD)an stupid (for picking Bush)

me No stoopid; I go mc donalss and is good1 yaaay!

stick out tongue

Trickster
Originally posted by eggmayo
French people annoy me... when you go to the country, you try your hardest to learn some useful phrases, and go into your local baker or deli... they have no idea what your talking about, and talk fast in french. When you say it slower in french, they still have no idea, and eventually you will discover they speak fluent english... its just so annoying

Well when I went to France with my school I discovered,
"Parle vous anglais?" was a good method for sorting that problem.

yerssot
well, WD IS the generalised american of course stick out tongue

Originally posted by eggmayo
be glad they know english

wuk es't
Who the **** told you that?
Never seen the pictures of the Americans entering Paris?

carnival_junkie
I never really had an issue with France...
The French annoy me sometime.
But oh well.

Strange thing is... I like Canadians.
And everyone knows that Canadians are just watered-down French people.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by carnival_junkie
I never really had an issue with France...
The French annoy me sometime.
But oh well.

Strange thing is... I like Canadians.
And everyone knows that Canadians are just watered-down French people.

You do know that Canada was colonized by the British and French, the British defeated the French and now maybe only one third of Canada's population (probably less have to check on that) is french Canadian?

If that was a joke, then sorry I missed the humour in it, if you were actually serious, then I suggest you pick up a book and learn something before you make such an ignorance laden comment.

Blue Dragon
Originally posted by WindDancer
me No stoopid; I go mc donalss and is good1 yaaay!

stick out tongue
What was that about? blink It didn't even make sense partly...

yerssot
and he isn't even french wink

WindDancer
I'm just your typical flag waver and baseball loving American my good old Blue Dragon. wink stick out tongue

Blue Dragon
I see, I let you off then... stick out tongue

Fëanor
I'm just your typical flag waver and baseball loving American my good old Blue Dragon. wink stick out tongue yes...but real men eat quiche

yerssot
I'm just your typical flag waver and baseball loving American my good old Blue Dragon. wink stick out tongue
I wonder how you can sit through that without mass amounts of beer messed

IceWithin
lol most of my friends make jokes about the french, but I looove the french, I love their language, I love their food and I love Paris, I actually want to go to cellege there

Morgoths_Wrath
Paris is dirty

Morgoths_Wrath
The city AND the person

Tiesto
I love france, I love the people I love the food I love the streets I love the movies.
I should get an "I heart France" Tshirt eek!
I really don't get why poeple dislike them so much messed

big gay kirk
I have nothing against French people individually... but France... now that's different... Along with a lot of Brits, I have the problem that comes from being part of a subject race... since 1066 England has been ruled byfirst Normans (who were Frechified Vikings) then the French themselves, then "Welsh" Frenchmen, then "Scottish" Frenchmen, then Germans of French origin.... Since the conquest, our very Englishness has been denied, and we hasve been made to feel second class, a situation that persists to this day.... animals are English, but meat is French... most of the upper class are not of "English descent... we are not even supposed to be proud of being English, except when it suits the powers that be, for instance when they want us to fight to keep them in power... English beer is seen as somehow inferior to French wine.... the French language is held to be "superior", as are French manners, French cars, french food... even the form of English held to be "best" is the one most heavily influenced by French, that of the South East where the invading Kings placed their capital in case they needed to run away in a hurry... many of our Kings held themselves to be kings of France, and thought that a better thing than being King of England... Scotland too has suffered to an extent, and Wales too, the latter becoming a non-country, and not even having their nation included in our Flag....and on that subject, we are not even allowed one of our own, native saints as patron... that begins to explain why the British, and especially the English dislike France.... add to that there woeful record fighting on "our"side in two world wars... refusing to support our units in 1914-18, rebelling against their commanders and refusing to fight, and in 1939-45 not even knowing whose side they were on... at least Romania and Italy only supported one side at a time... we had the Free french supposedly helping us, while pilots of the Vichy airforce bombed us, and the French Foreign Legion was on both sides in the Desert.... halfway through the war the Free French were ready to give up, saying France under Hitler was better than no France at all.... and never forget these guys killed over 100,000 Jews, Communists and other "undesirables" in their own concentration camps...

big gay kirk
Plus after the war, we got stuck in the mess they'd made of Indo China.... the French were so useless we ended up releasing japanese POWs to use a s a peacekeeping force... when we left, the French took it all back and messed it up so bad you'd have thought the Yanks would have had more sense than to go in themselves.... then there was suez... and the EEC as was.... the French wouldn't let us in, until they saw a chance of profitting from our oil, and ruining EFTA into the bargain.... under NATO the French made sure they were exempt from military obligations... which meant we had to send troops if they got invaded, but thety didn't have to send troops if us or Germany fell foul of invaders.... and they burned our sheep and beat up our lorry drivers because their farm system was in disarray, while forcing us to buy their produce at inflated prices.... when we were having a lot of trouble with terrorism they didn't bother sending suspects back to us, and refused to let us fly over their airspace... they inconvenience our holidaymakers just for fun by closing airports, until recently they didn't need any form of ID to enter our country, due to EU regs, but we needed a passport to get into France.... oh, and they wear berets....

The Omega

big gay kirk
Originally posted by The Omega

I have nothing against the French protecting their language, and to be honest, they have never said their language is better... but we have been told that ours is inferior for centuries by the French overlords.... so much so in fact that it is seen as right and proper to teach Welsh, Scots Gaelic and Irish Gaelic in schools, and to bring in lessons in Kernau and Manx, but Old English is mainly brushed aside... we are still taught in schools that until French customs etc crossed the channel we lived in an uncivilized Dark Age, despite the saxon times, especially under Alfred and the Viking Cnut, being more enlightened than the two centuries after the conquest... our native mythology is held to be not as good as classical mythology, simply down to our not speaking a variant of latin... centuries of resentment of our french overlords, stirred up deliberately by those overlords themselves when they needed us to invade \france, are bound to rise up somehow... and this manifests in a general English, and to some extent British, dislike of the French.... not the fault of the French, so much, as of our rulers and the way the English have been treated over time....

Whirlysplatt
I love France I was in Paris for a few days this month before I went down into Spain. visit the Normandy graveyards, read the paragraph above the Bayeux tapestry and stand on Omaha Beach you might see our relationship differently.

GuitarBunny
Originally posted by rubber dickie
they refuse to discover soap and shaving. well said my friend well said yes

Deano
all equal

Ushgarak
Good Lord, I have seen precious little more ignorance on this site than BGK's xenophobic and inaccurate ramblings. Don't blame the French just because you have been taught crap history. No decent historian would call the two centuries before the Norman invasion a 'Dark Age'- the Dark Ages were the centuries before THAT period, after the fall of Rome. What happened a thousand damn years ago makes us not a subject race in the slightest- our proud heritage comes as much from then as anything beforehand.

And I dunno what this crap about English being seen as 'inferior' is, it being the dominant world language and all. I am actually happy that the English are not so anal about things as to desire to learn some crappy form of Old English in schools.

There is a very simple reason why the UK and France have not historically got on- they are next to each other. You will find in hitory that has often been the main reason for discontent. You pick on the cloest one you can see.

Spelljammer
Originally posted by random task
That's what I was going to say!

But even then, hell, I play Dungeons&Dragons. Like I havn't been exposed to people with poor hygene and who talk with atrocious accents..

So still I'd have to say I have nothing personaly against The French, I know France as a whole cannot be heald responsible for a few *******'s comments and thier backward goverment's policies about how to think of my country. I know there's bound to be alot of French people that just want to hang out and maybe help me get Bran-Bran. They are supposed to be the country of love..

grey fox
Ehhh I'm not big on france since last time i went there five assholes tried to push me over , anything i tried to buy was too expensive and the damn chocolate tastes like crap .

Whirlysplatt
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Good Lord, I have seen precious little more ignorance on this site than BGK's xenophobic and inaccurate ramblings. Don't blame the French just because you have been taught crap history. No decent historian would call the two centuries before the Norman invasion a 'Dark Age'- the Dark Ages were the centuries before THAT period, after the fall of Rome. What happened a thousand damn years ago makes us not a subject race in the slightest- our proud heritage comes as much from then as anything beforehand.

And I dunno what this crap about English being seen as 'inferior' is, it being the dominant world language and all. I am actually happy that the English are not so anal about things as to desire to learn some crappy form of Old English in schools.

There is a very simple reason why the UK and France have not historically got on- they are next to each other. You will find in hitory that has often been the main reason for discontent. You pick on the cloest one you can see.

A post from Ushgarak eek! I agree with!!

Alpha Centauri
The amount of sheer generalising in here is sickening. For and against French people.

They're just like every other nationality in that there's good and bad. They're not super cool and they're not horribly smelly en masse. Jeez.

Anyone French would be offended.

-AC

Whirlysplatt
I certainly never said the french were any kind of cool, "super" or otherwise. As a nation I like the stance they adopt on many things though.

Spelljammer
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Anyone French would be offended.

-AC
Promise? I aim to please.. \m/ evil face \m/

Morgoths_Wrath
it's all in good fun

some of you are taking this a tad bit too seriously

Morgoths_Wrath
I can't believe how much some of you defend France, though. Like you're all good buddy-buddy pals with the freakin' French!

If you've ever been to Paris (and I have), or even Quebec (been there, too), you know that French people and French Canadians are just straight-up rude to Americans. Even the police gave us the wrong directions ON PURPOSE because we were American tourists. French people have lost my respect.

And the smell.

Whirlysplatt
Originally posted by Morgoths_Wrath
I can't believe how much some of you defend France, though. Like you're all good buddy-buddy pals with the freakin' French!

If you've ever been to Paris (and I have), or even Quebec (been there, too), you know that French people and French Canadians are just straight-up rude to Americans. Even the police gave us the wrong directions ON PURPOSE because we were American tourists. French people have lost my respect.

And the smell.

Thats why half the major roads in Paris are named after Americans and English - AC is right its about individuals - however, its also about generality and experience. Generally most French people I have met and worked with have been OK thats not true of your experiences so your perceptions are different.

Mandos

playmean
speaking of france, ever seen "the dreamers?" blink

T.M
I like France cheap drink eek!

Morgoths_Wrath
Originally posted by Whirlysplatt
Thats why half the major roads in Paris are named after Americans and English

Yeah, I just have to think of how many roads here in America are named after trees...and we have no problem chopping them down by the millions

!!!

Morgoths_Wrath
Originally posted by Whirlysplatt
AC is right its about individuals - however, its also about generality and experience. Generally most French people I have met and worked with have been OK thats not true of your experiences so your perceptions are different.

I'm sure not ALL French people are bad people. It just seems like as a whole they are pretty rude towards Americans. They probably treat English people differently.

big gay kirk
it's all in good fun

some of you are taking this a tad bit too seriously

I think some of you are taking me a tad too seriously.....

Darth Revan
Originally posted by Jackie Malfoy
No one I know hates france and I do not see why anyone would.JM

Your pals the pro-war right seemed to a while back. no expression

Why do I hate France? Because all French men are, of course, gay. smile

Kidding, obviously. I don't have anything against France, except this teacher who worked at my grade school was from France and she was mean. sad

RogerRamjet
Seems to me like some people have issues with the French. How do YOU feel about French people?

i like France and the french, it's a great country and the people are really nice and i've spent many holidays there and i will continune to do so!
I mean why hate a country just because it doesn't wanna go to war alongside the U.S.?? that's pathetic...
some of you should learn not hate other countries just because your government tells you to..

Lord Melkor
I really liked my two months stay in Paris!

Viva la France!

MC Mike
Originally posted by playmean
speaking of france, ever seen "the dreamers?" blink

Tu sautes du coq a l'ane.

I'm too lazy for the accents... stick out tongue

big gay kirk
I went on a weekend to Bolougne once... dirtiest town I've ever been too.... and my best friend was arrested on the Paris Metro for throwing a KitKat wrapper in the bin......

feralboy
i like france

GCG
Another reason to dislike the France for fostering a Frenchman named Jean-Baptiste Le Moyne de Bienville who founded New Orleans on one of those precarious ridges !

It served well for trade way back then but now.......its been submersed.

yerssot
I fail to see your point... Someone who founded a city that long ago should get a bad name cause the States can't maintain their levees?

GCG
In another 50 years time levees are going to twice the suze ;

in another 100 years time, triple.

I wouldnt be looking nocely at the prospect of living in a 'hole' below sea level.

yerssot
ask the dutch

GCG
I knew you would have said that.

Red Superfly
Le French are one big le pain in the arse.

Why? Because they are.

No reasoniing behind it at all. I'm British.

FeceMan
Because the French smell bad and don't shave their underarms. Or so I'm told.

Afro Cheese
I've only known one French person in my entire life and she was pretty cool besides her whole "America sucks" attitude. If you in America sucks and you live in another country, good for you. If you think America sucks and you live here, you're just a pain in the ass.

Julie
What if you don't think America sucks...and you live here

GCG
Then he is not refering to you ;

vous et francais? naughty

yerssot

GCG
merde ! glare

i like france and french people unless they don't like me because i'm american than they can suck my d*ck

Ranger Smith
Just because they do what they want on the world stage.

Quiero Mota
I like France.

WrathfulDwarf
This should be closed...but I'm just gonna play along.

Did you guys know the U.S. have a brand of Mustard name French's?

It's yellow...hehe.

Ranger Smith
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
I like France.

As do I. The French are great.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf

It's yellow...hehe.

laughing out loud

Czarina_Czarina
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zQX2XqAE8c

this french song rocks...excellent voice...

SpearofDestiny
France has the best prostitutes droolio

Grinning Goku
Originally posted by Ranger Smith
Respect the French

Originally posted by Grinning Goku
No.

Grinning Goku
Originally posted by SpearofDestiny

Male prostitutes, eh?

Secretus
Originally posted by SpearofDestiny

You should 'fly' over there, Peter Pan.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Schecter
france should be nuked

exanda kane
I have a french mate that redeems them in my opinion.

Draco69
I wish there was a way to somehow teleport all the French people into the sun and keep their land, monuments and buildings on Earth......

Grinning Goku
Originally posted by Draco69
I wish there was a way to somehow teleport all the French people into the sun and keep their land, monuments and buildings on Earth......

We'll find a way, bro. sad We'll find a way.

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by exanda kane
I have a french mate that redeems them in my opinion.

ADarksideJedi
And what has the french ever d o ne f o r us?Beside help us with World War two?jm

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Schecter
france should be nuked

With a two week warning.............................in English. laughing

Kinneary
Originally posted by Ranger Smith
Just because they do what they want on the world stage.
Isn't that why people hate America?

Robtard
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
And what has the french ever d o ne f o r us?Beside help us with World War two?jm

Anyone else think this is just a bit too contrived, even for a supposed moron like Jackie?

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Robtard
Anyone else think this is just a bit too contrived, even for a supposed moron like Jackie?

Well...no, she got the countries mixed up.

Röland
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi

Wait....

What? no expression

Captain REX
I have no quarrel with the French.

Rogue Jedi
but they have really cool accents and stuff.

InnerRise
But they supposedly don't take showers regularly and stink and are rude to foreigners and speak French on purpose in the presence of foreigners if they know English and give little to no help direction wise etc.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by InnerRise
But they supposedly don't take showers regularly and stink and are rude to foreigners and speak French on purpose in the presence of foreigners if they know English and give little to no help direction wise etc.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka..... yeah, there is that. sad

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by InnerRise

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

I think that steroetype gets carried away a lot. I've been to France twice, and they were always really helpful when it came to trying to communicate. In western France a lot of people spoke Spanish, so I didn't even have to worry about any damn Germanic languages.

anaconda
because its full of frenchmen?

Alfheim
I dont see what the beef is. I think the some Americans dont like them because the French dont rollover and do what America wants. They do seem a bit arrogant but nobody is perfect.

botankus
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
This should be closed...but I'm just gonna play along.

It's yellow...hehe.

I'm lovin' those McFreedom Fries, too.

debbiejo
We have French toast. big grin

botankus
French kissing, of which you can see a modern variation in my sig.

debbiejo
When we swear we say "Please excuse my French."

But it's not French...hmm confused

Devil King
I think that steroetype gets carried away a lot. I've been to France twice, and they were always really helpful when it came to trying to communicate. In western France a lot of people spoke Spanish, so I didn't even have to worry about any damn Germanic languages.

i, also, have been twice. I've never had any problems. Nor have I ever encountered anyone that had overpowering body odor.

InnerRise
I think that steroetype gets carried away a lot. I've been to France twice, and they were always really helpful when it came to trying to communicate. In western France a lot of people spoke Spanish, so I didn't even have to worry about any damn Germanic languages. I actually questioned someone who had been over there recently and they did experience the rudeness.

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Storm
The French are chauvinistic, and very proud of their language. It is only courtesy to at least attempt to address them in their own language. Even if your knowledge of French is rudimentary, your attempt will be appreciated and you will receive a positive response.

You can' t just rely on English only. Speaking foreign languages in addition to English is vital in my opinion.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Storm
The French are chauvinistic, and very proud of their language. It is only courtesy to at least attempt to address them in their own language. Even if your knowledge of French is rudimentary, your attempt will be appreciated and you will receive a positive response.

You can' t just rely on English only. Speaking foreign languages in addition to English is vital in my opinion.

Why chose french though?

debbiejo
Maybe cause the French are too expressive while Germans are just the opposte........yeah I know, stero type.......lol

Czarina_Czarina

i love the sound of the language...

Originally posted by Robtard

she seems really nice...

inimalist
Nothing wrong with the people from france

those from Quebec on the other hand....

Alfheim
Originally posted by inimalist

Whats wrong with them?

Czarina_Czarina
i don't want to sound mean, but i do not like the french culture, the language sounds nice, but i don't like it, nor would i want to speak it. i have zero interest in french food, attitude, or visiting french or speaking to french ppl; they are ppl just like anyone else, no need for me to think they are any special. i wasn't raised around french or french culture, i was raised American, and i am more comfortable around those who i was raised around, that doesn't mean i can't appreciate that it sounds nice, i just don't seek it, nor would i want to be bothered with it, sounds hickish, but it's true (and there is nothing wrong with hicks smile )

Czarina_Czarina
sorry for adding more (pasted the 15 min mark);

if you were around french all of your life, that's who you would probably have an effinity for, even if it's not politically correct. i was around hicks most of my life, and that's who i feel comfortable with, even if it's looks odd or not politically correct, and no, hick doesn't mean the klan or something weird (no need to get big brother and mind control games)...if you were raised aroud germans, you are going to like them, if you were raised in the inner city, you are going to like them, even if you look differently, same as if you were raised around hicks, even if ppl try to control you otherwise...sorry about the rant.

anaconda
well the french could use that comming to other countries thoug, not rely on oh I hope they speak french there

chillmeistergen
What are you on about? Most French people are pretty fluent in English.

debbiejo
They don't like to speak English in Montreal. We call it French land. Kinda like Disney world. blink

Schecter
just to be clear, the tally is:

like: 30

dislike: 33

make a reasonable poll ffs

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by inimalist

My boyfriend is French Canadian. His friends and fanily constantly evoke some weird ideas about English Canadians/Americans, not releasing that they do those same things.
Originally posted by debbiejo
They don't like to speak English in Montreal. We call it French land. Kinda like Disney world. blink

Indeed, they don't like speaking English.
The city is really devided into English and French parts. Westmount is a rich ultra English place, and everything there is in English.
Mount Royal is more mixed, I find, but still prefer people to speak in French.

Quebec has this ''French/English'' rivalry, and they constantly evoke the idea that English stole their land. (just like they stole the land from Native Americans, but ok)
To be honest, French Canadians, in their habits are far closer to English or American then they are to French from France.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>