Doom

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

wazz
The wall of an elevator lobby has been transformed into a huge gaping crater strewn with fairly realistic corpses and corpse pieces. This is the aftermath of the BFG 9000, the Big Gun (you can guess what the acronym stands for) from Doom, the movie based on the infamous video game that introduced the world to the first person shooter and realistic (for the time, anyway) video game violence.

The Rock (The Rundown, Walking Tall) and Karl Urban ("The Lord of the Rings," The Bourne Supremacy) stand in the flashing red hallway of the elevator lobby having an intense conversation, the quiet moment before the storm as they get ready to shoot the final action scene of the film. It's very nearly the last day of filming on the big screen adaptation, and while the crew rushes about trying to get everything done that needs to be done, director Andrzej Bartkowiak (Exit Wounds, Cradle 2 the Grave) calmly takes his time, making sure everything is exactly the way it should be.

In the film, a mysterious SOS is sent out from the planet Olduvai and the RRTS (Rapid Response Tactical Squad), led by the epynonymous Sarge (The Rock) and his second in command John Grimm (Karl Urban), are sent in to find out what exactly has happened and find instead that, literally, all hell has broken loose.

Based loosely on the adventures of John Grimm in the current best-selling "Doom 3," the film is aiming to replicate the feel of the game as closely as possible, to be the most faithful video game adaptation ever. The stages of Barrandov Studios in Prague are filled with what feels like mile after mile of corridors of all different shapes and sizes, and the hallways are littered with dead and maimed mannequins of different types who will be joined by made up extras at different points. The watchword for Doom has been horror, with copious amounts of gore and violence on the side.

While Bartkowiak has helmed several successful but relatively small action films, this is by far the largest and most complex project he has ever taken on. But with almost no sense of the pressure he's under, he has methodically gone about putting together what many involved have called the best action-horror film since Aliens. That seems to be the goal, and if he gets half of what he's looking for, he should more than please fans of the game and action films alike.

As of this writing, Universal has been keeping the film under wraps, but that won't last much longer. Later this year, we'll be posting a full recap of the visit to the Doom set and interviews with stars Karl Urban and The Rock as well as several members of the crew tasked with keeping the look and feel of the game intact on screen.

Myth
1. You shouldn't plagerize.

2. I'm sure there is already topics about this. Check Sci-fi or something.

3. It will not be the most faithful video game. In fact, it won't be a portal from hell or on Mars. Maybe it will be filmed most faithfully, but the story is not.

4. I can't wait to at least see a trailer. I'm hoping it will have the feel of Aliens. Especially since they use robotics and not CGI.

Tandrade
**** all of you! hahahahahahahahahahaha

Pandemoniac
It will be PG 13, it won't have good (if any?) gore, it is directed by a R'n'B actionmovie director, it will have cheap CGI monsters nowhere near as scary as the big-pixel ghouls from the first games, it will have tons of pointless scientific 'plot-building' poo-haa dialogues as filling. All meant to be scary moments in it will be attempted audio-only and the only good this so far is the appearance of the respectful Karl Urban.
It will take Hell's entire army to make me believe this will actually become a movie living up to the legend of the game.

ragesRemorse
They should just base the movie from the books. The doom books are damn good books for being based around a video game.

Myth
Originally posted by Pandemoniac
It will be PG 13, it won't have good (if any?) gore, it is directed by a R'n'B actionmovie director, it will have cheap CGI monsters nowhere near as scary as the big-pixel ghouls from the first games, it will have tons of pointless scientific 'plot-building' poo-haa dialogues as filling. All meant to be scary moments in it will be attempted audio-only and the only good this so far is the appearance of the respectful Karl Urban.
It will take Hell's entire army to make me believe this will actually become a movie living up to the legend of the game.

I actually heard it was going to be rated R and will use the robotics guy that worked on the Alien movies and Jurassic Park.

Pandemoniac
Ok, that would shift my expectations for the better

BlazingBarrells
Originally posted by Myth
I actually heard it was going to be rated R and will use the robotics guy that worked on the Alien movies and Jurassic Park.

yeah myth is right with this one. i have read numerous interviews with both the rock and A bartkowiak and they have both said this isnt going to be a cut away fest, it will be a full on straight forward movie with tons of gore.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by BlazingBarrells
yeah myth is right with this one. i have read numerous interviews with both the rock and A bartkowiak and they have both said this isnt going to be a cut away fest, it will be a full on straight forward movie with tons of gore. big grin well, thats what i'm talking about yes thumb up thumb up

Andrew McLeod
I hear that the director's not planning on using Demons or anything. He said something about taking Doom to another level...I think. That's what turned me off this movie.

ragesRemorse
if there are no demons, i wont even consider watching it. Doom is about demons, space demons atleast. I remember readin somthing in cinescape a while back and the director said in an interview he was going to make the demons as tangible as possible. That was probably a good four months ago, so things could have changed from then.

Myth
I think they are just going to be aliens or something. There is no portal to hell and they go to another planet. Therefore, I assume aliens.

Pandemoniac
Pffff, there goes my new found hope.... It has to have the demons, torture and blood-pits in it or it will just turn in to independence day 2

Myth
I hear that towards the end they will film a scene like a 1st person shooter.

Bicnarok
Doom changed my lfe, gotta see this movie no matter what

Hellmistress

MildPossession
For some reason, I don't have high hopes for Doom the movie...

Lord_Andres
Hey rages yopu've read the books? well i agree with you 100% the books gave me sheevers and laughs and I was like living trough a super sci-fi movie that I most likly will NEVER SEE, it was awesome, the lines and all so good for a movie of this kind, I'm gonna ree read thems oon, hehe damn the way the authur wrote 'The pig sound' was just top class! I loved the action as well, also he stayed sooo close to mighty original DooM, ah getting the shotgun and stuff, and the BFG was great! also I LOVED the spidermaster mind fight, too bad our computer guy had to die... almust made me shred a tear, sad I hoped he would live

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.