In the end, Luke turned out more like Kenobi than Anakin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ccoo
After watching all 6 films now, it is obvious that Luke turned out more like ObiWan Kenobi that his father Anakin. Anakin and Luke were both tempted by the darkside, Anakin ended up failing.

In the prequels ObiWan was the ultimate good guy, and Luke mirrored him in the originals as the ulitmate good guy. I alway thought after Return of the Jedi, that Anakin of course was redeemed, but I also think ObiWan was vindicated in that Anakins kid turned out more like him.

astrofan428
I disagree, I believe Luke is very much like his father. He is faced with similar challenges to those Anakin faced in the PT. Only Luke made all the right choices, while Anakin made all the bad ones.

He has the same problems as Anakin, he is emotional, overly aggressive, defiant of Yoda and Obi-Wan.

Darth_Rankkor
and also is like luke has a club for duelling instead of a lightsaber. Luke is really anakins son hehehe

palpy_666
Originally posted by ccoo
After watching all 6 films now, it is obvious that Luke turned out more like ObiWan Kenobi that his father Anakin. Anakin and Luke were both tempted by the darkside, Anakin ended up failing.

In the prequels ObiWan was the ultimate good guy, and Luke mirrored him in the originals as the ulitmate good guy. I alway thought after Return of the Jedi, that Anakin of course was redeemed, but I also think ObiWan was vindicated in that Anakins kid turned out more like him.

For me, after watching all six films, I feel kinda strange even thinking of Luke as a Jedi! I mean, of course he becomes one, but c'mon! Look at Qui-Gon, Mace, and all the other PT Jedi... Jeez, Luke has SOOO little training and yet he did so well against Vader in the OT. Kinda makes me wish GL would've went a different direction with the character of Luke and his training.

It's funny that Anakin, who began training at a much younger age than Luke, made all the wrong choices and yet Luke, who grew up with I'm sure plenty more attachments and non-Jedi mind sets made all the RIGHT choices.

gentmax
Originally posted by palpy_666

It's funny that Anakin, who began training at a much younger age than Luke, made all the wrong choices and yet Luke, who grew up with I'm sure plenty more attachments and non-Jedi mind sets made all the RIGHT choices.

And Maybe that's the answer.

Darth_Rankkor
Originally posted by palpy_666
For me, after watching all six films, I feel kinda strange even thinking of Luke as a Jedi! I mean, of course he becomes one, but c'mon! Look at Qui-Gon, Mace, and all the other PT Jedi... Jeez, Luke has SOOO little training and yet he did so well against Vader in the OT. Kinda makes me wish GL would've went a different direction with the character of Luke and his training.

u got a point there

Blu93GT
i'd say the difference was in their childhoods...

Anakin was a slave, but he was treated very well, had access to all sorts of technology, and was given free time to play with it. this allowed him to become quite the techie, building his own robot and pod racer. the pod racing gave him status - not just healthy self-esteem, but PRIDE.

remember him bragging "i'm the only human that can do it"?

compare that to Luke saying "i'm not such a bad pilot", and even that was only after a slight insult from Han.

it's a whole different attitude!

Luke grew up on a farm, in the middle of nowhere. he did more work in a day than Ani did in a week. he didn't have a shop full of cool gadgets to play with - he had basic (SW) farm machines that were constantly needing maintenence. he didn't have a pod racer, just an old beat-up speeder, and barely any spare time (or money, presumably) to soup it up with upgraded power couplings & such... but he was happy, and grateful for whatever he DID have. he had healthy self-esteem, but nothing at all like the sense of "superiority" that Ani had.

Luke had a life of hard work, and he had humility. Anakin got special treatment, and he was spoiled and arrogant. they were both impatient and wanted to have things their own way (just like all of us!) - the difference is that Luke accepted that life was tough and things wouldn't always be how he wanted them, where Anakin expected things to go his way.

green dude
Well i haven't seen all the films but i plant to get them all.

Luke become a Jedi in little time and didn't get a chance to get attacked really but Anikan had a few years and fell in love and got attacked to his master and others.

Luke had little time but learned more it dosn't matter how much time you have it matter what you did with the time you are given i heard that from lotr film stick out tongue .

But he was tempted like his dad but chose a diffirent path he is like Anikan befor he turned to the darkside but he is like Obi-wan cuz he spent more time with more than his dad.

this happens when you spend alot of time with someone you end up being alot like them smile

DarkYoda
I like threads like this. More please. yes

green dude
so true Blu93GT that's life you have to lose to gain and gain to lose.

Life is challenge you can do great good in short time or long or do great evil in a long or short time but it isn't always eaisy and you sometimes just want to give up but you can't life is not something you waste or just wait to end you have a perpose so find it and what you have to just make sure it's the right thing or path for you only you can chose this

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by Blu93GT
i'd say the difference was in their childhoods...

Anakin was a slave, but he was treated very well, had access to all sorts of technology, and was given free time to play with it. this allowed him to become quite the techie, building his own robot and pod racer. the pod racing gave him status - not just healthy self-esteem, but PRIDE.

remember him bragging "i'm the only human that can do it"?

compare that to Luke saying "i'm not such a bad pilot", and even that was only after a slight insult from Han.

it's a whole different attitude!

Luke grew up on a farm, in the middle of nowhere. he did more work in a day than Ani did in a week. he didn't have a shop full of cool gadgets to play with - he had basic (SW) farm machines that were constantly needing maintenence. he didn't have a pod racer, just an old beat-up speeder, and barely any spare time (or money, presumably) to soup it up with upgraded power couplings & such... but he was happy, and grateful for whatever he DID have. he had healthy self-esteem, but nothing at all like the sense of "superiority" that Ani had.

Luke had a life of hard work, and he had humility. Anakin got special treatment, and he was spoiled and arrogant. they were both impatient and wanted to have things their own way (just like all of us!) - the difference is that Luke accepted that life was tough and things wouldn't always be how he wanted them, where Anakin expected things to go his way.
IMO-
Anakin was a slave, that was good at something, he should have pride. Saying your the only one that can do something when you are the only one thats done it, is not pride, its the truth. Little Anakin didnt have excessive pride to me, he was just proud of what he accomplished.

mace7386
I kinda agree cuz but it makes since, all the jedi in the PT were trained from infancy which is why they were all so good. I think that Luke had the skill level of a youngling or maybe close to a padawan in saber skills but he was strong with the force like his father so thats why he was able to beat Vader. So in close Lucas was right

koolruningz
I think it shows how much power and mobility Vader lost when he was confined to the suit. He only cut down old Ben because he surrendered and easily beat Luke on Bespin because Luke only had a few days training. As soon as a more experienced and powerful Luke fights him on the second death star he is outclassed. Vader before the suit would have owned Luke in seconds.
Anakin was always more arrogant than Luke, by the time we see him in AOTC he already has a superiority complex. Luke was impatient like Anakin but was alot more humble, maybe because he didnt grow up around Jedi.

spekdah
Jedi trained from a young age spend too much time with their hands in the " Midiclorean Jar"
Luke spent more time with his hand in the " Reality Jar"

spekdah
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f6/t344977.html

This post from the Starwars Lit forum covers this very subject .
The fact that Jedi are arrogant and rely on the force rather than normal human emotions far too much hence maybe why Luke turned out better with a more balanced approach .

moonwalker741
i know what you saying about thinking luke as a jedi....i mean...you look at all the fights in the PT....it's faster..more agressive....acrobatic....and massive massive moves...i think lucas said that hayden and ewan had to learn over a 1000 moves to fight each other at the end of sith....even palpatine fights yoda...and it's "epic"...now fast forward to return of the jedi....assuming you watch the series in order from 1-6...you see the fights are less impressive and then at the end...how does anakin kill the emperor...he throws him over a ledge....kinda funny but scary at the same time for me...

Thornbane
Luke was a wuss compared to Vader for the most part, but remember that Luke truly WAS failing himself in the last battle. He grabbed his sabre to strike at the emperor, he pre-emps Vader, and dices up his up in a frenzy of good-old Skywalker rage.

To me, the only decision that Luke made that was right was to not kill an unarmed opponenent. He kept with the Jedi code.

Luke was very, very close to giving into his anger and going to the dark side.

Blu93GT
Originally posted by Blu93GT
...remember (Anakin) bragging "i'm the only human that can do it"?

it's a whole different attitude!...

Originally posted by Darth Macabre
IMO-
Anakin was a slave, that was good at something, he should have pride. Saying your the only one that can do something when you are the only one thats done it, is not pride, its the truth. Little Anakin didnt have excessive pride to me, he was just proud of what he accomplished.

We have a saying down here in Texas - "it ain't braggin' if it's the truth!", but what you have to remember is that there are a lot of idiots here (just like everywhere else). By definition, bragging is bragging - if it's NOT true, then it's called "bull$hit".

From what i recall, someone commented that pod racing was dangerous, and Aniken made the above statement. IMO, the tone of voice was a unmistakably proud. Did he have reason to be proud? Hell yeah - he's the ONLY human than can do it!!! But he also could have responded with a very somber statement like "yes, a lot of pilots have been killed", which would have been just as true, without tooting his own horn.

A person can feel pride inside, without telling anybody about it, unless asked a specific question about something they did. Yoda doesn't go around talking about all his great achievements over his many, many years...

Luke's statement was basically "proud" in nature, but such a declaration was necessary, because Han had sarcastically called Luke's piloting skills into question (and i think it was also a tactic to negotiate the price down!)... and even with such a declaration being necessary, Luke phrased it in "negative" terms: he didn't say he was GOOD, he just said he wasn't SO bad.

That's just my opinion, anyway - next time you watch, compare their attitudes yourself. Anakin and Luke are both impatient and headstrong, and full of self-confidence, but Luke just seems a little more humble, and Ani seems a bit more arrogant, IMO.

IMO, Luke seems to have the best qualities of both Anakin and Obi-Wan. He also has the weaknesses, but to a lesser extent.

Darth_Rankkor
Just a thought. Vader was the chosen one. He was a like almost a "god". Luke, despite the fact that he's his son, could never have won. Luke gained experience in the real life but he had rude light saber skills. It turned out like it did because it is a movie and it HAD to end that way.

Blu93GT
Originally posted by Darth_Rankkor
...It turned out like it did because it is a movie and it HAD to end that way.

if there was a smiley with a "W3RD" sign, i'd put it here! Happy Dance

stinger78
thats stupid, Luke was the chosen one and Ob 1 was on tatoonine.Get it right people, luke brought balance , vader died in episode 3. You don't have to be a brain surgen to figure out that. Original trilogy vader was just a robot with no force power.

GET IT RIGHT

Darth_Rankkor
What I meant was the good guys always win :P the banana rocks though LMAO

Darth_Rankkor
Originally posted by stinger78
thats stupid, Luke was the chosen one and Ob 1 was on tatoonine.Get it right people, luke brought balance , vader died in episode 3. You don't have to be a brain surgen to figure out that. Original trilogy vader was just a robot with no force power.

GET IT RIGHT

I don't agree with all you've wrote but that's your point of view. Each one is entitled to his/her own point of view. It doesn't mean that different opinions are stupid. Happy Dance

Ominous
Vader and Lukes fight in Empire is more like Vader toying for the most part with Luke. Vader is not what he once was by any means, But probably enough to kill an aged Obi Wan,

We all know about the look the new ones to the old, but if you like the movie terms. The age of the Jedi is gone and their intense fighting ability w/ it, With out having real competition to practice w/ or fighting a worthy opponet, its reasoanble to think Obi And old Darth have slowed, @ least to a pace that was not worthy of 20 years earlier.

Vader was the chosen one, he killed Palpatine thus bringing the force back into balance, the only thing unkown was the path to him fullfilling it.
Luke is protected by the force or its will I beleive, the last 20 years had all sorts of evil.

Luke although getting strong, only beats an aging man, mostly machine, who has lost the ferocity of yester years dueling, and by his anger! which he gave into about Liea, His anger like Anakins made him powerful. Much the same way Anakin finaly took out Dooku, who was probably a more skilled swordsman, or at leats cocky about it, actualy thats both of them, lol

Did you ever notice that the one with more to lose or more emotion about a battle usualy wins? when luke was a near match he beat Vader by having more emotion than him, Anakin beat Dooku the same way.
Even Obi shows a little by his seething against Maul, but there it wasnt quite enough, he wasnt an equal. Only Mauls glorious reveling in the triumph did him in, years of training and he's at the brink of victory, always like a Sith, laugh, gloat, taunt, whatever they live for it and when it happens they cant help it.

vader519
I agree that Luke turned out to be like his father. Like everyone siad before, he was faced with the same challenges, and nearly made all of the same decisions as Anakin. The only decsision Luke did not make like Anakin was turning to the darkside, but he almost did.

Darth Luke
Originally posted by ccoo

Well Luke was brought up by Obi-Wan, partly, he was watched over by Obi-Wan, but they must of been some contact because he knew obi wan as 'Ben Kenobi' so there must of been some influence there.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.