Now playing at your local school.....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

KharmaDog
I was in the movie forum and looked at a thread that was talking about movies that kids had watched while in class. Here are some of the movies and the classes in which they were shown:

The Patriot in history, which although was supposed to occur during the american revolution is so historically innacurate that it should never have been shown anywhere near a history class.

Taxi Driver & Man on Fire in computer class. Neither of these have anything to do computers and just show that the teachers were incredibly lazy or incredibly unqualified for the position.

Kill Bill Vol.1 and Ferris Bueler's Day Off in English , what the hell do these have to do with english class?

What the hell?! Personally if I was a parent I'd be a little pissed. I don't know whether this shows apathy or total unprofessionalism from the teachers or schools, but it definitley would explain why kids seem to know less and less and that the education seems to be not near as effective as it used to be.

Any thoughts?

Jackie Malfoy
My thoughts are that it is strange that we have to watach movies that has nothering to do wiht the class that we are in.JM

botankus
As far as movies that don't pertain to the subject, I don't think it's that big of a deal at the end of the year. It's happening now so it's kind of a reward for completing the year without dropping out.

As far as showing R-Rated films, it should be up to the teacher's discretion. While Glory may be OK, Kill Bill should not be.

Trickster
JM - that's what KD was saying... blowup

We watch random videos on the last day of term, so if it was then, then no worries. Also, we watch a film for media in english (we have a module for that). If it's not in context like that... I can't fathom a reason for it.

PVS
Originally posted by Jackie Malfoy
My thoughts are that it is strange that we have to watach movies that has nothering to do wiht the class that we are in.JM

i can see they are teaching you nothering in english class.

Bardock42
Originally posted by PVS
i can see they are teaching you nothering in english class.

Score for PVS

Anyways I think Taxi Driver deserves to be shown in any class...the rest...well ....not

-B42

I think I will add that to the end of my posts now...it makes me cool yes

-B42

PVS
Originally posted by Bardock42
Score for PVS

dance

Curl_Up&Dye
my sophomore year in english class, the review for our final was 5 consecutive days of watching shrek and pearl harbor

manny321
why not its the end of school and whats wrong with watching movies.

However we did watch in history class Saving private ryan, pearl harbour and that speilberg move something list?? The last one was amazing!!!

Fire
we watch quite a bit of movies in class here.

lil bitchiness
Kill Bill vol. 1? Is that even legal, considering the rating blink

§P0oONY
I watched "The Fifth Element" in English for the media section in my English Language course, other classes watched things like "Gladiator" and "The Simpsons". We then had to write an essay on it as a piece of our coursework

Afro Cheese
We watched Full Metal Jacket in my world history class.

Fire
I saw Hamlet (now atleast that movie had some use) a lot better than watching the damn play

Bardock42
Originally posted by Afro Cheese
We watched Full Metal Jacket in my world history class.

Good teacher

We watched King Lear in English and I think I might have seen The Great Gatsby during class too.

Fire
But who shows The Patriot or Gladiator in History????

Afro Cheese
I can't count the number of times I've seen the patriot in class. Social Studies, American History, World History, etc. They all show it.

§P0oONY
I was shown "Schindler's List" in history, Damned good film

Storm
We watched Dead poets society, The importance of being Earnest,... in English. Movies about Anne Frank in religion.

manny321
"Schindler's List is the best film to show for History. Saving private Ryan is quite accurate as well.
English class we see a lot of films with Shakespeare stories and thinking films like the first matrix, a few good men and Renaissance man and The hurricane. Films you can write and talk about.

KharmaDog
Any history teacher who shows their student The Patriot in history class should have their teaching license revoked.

Bardock42
Well maybe he showws it to tell his student what it was not like.

lil bitchiness
Watching a Patriot at History to give even a slightest idea about American Civil war, is like watching Troy to give even a slightest idea about ancient Greece. no expression Pointless.

PVS
mel gibson should die no expression

Afro Cheese
I don't see the big deal. It's not like they test the kids on the "information" in the movie.. it's just like a free day except the movie is there to keep them occupied.

BackFire
In my highschool we watched Mel Brooks History of the Word:Part one in my history class. It was awesome

Bardock42
Originally posted by BackFire
In my highschool we watched Mel Brooks History of the Word:Part one in my history class. It was awesome

Well but it at leawst shows History like it really was, not like the patriot stick out tongue

PVS
Originally posted by BackFire

at least mel brooks never tried to pass it off as historically accurate.
nothing wrong with fun in the classroom, so long as the work is covered.
but when someone makes a movie, claims it to be historically accurate,
and it's a blatent lie, thats just wrong....yeah....mel gibson needs to die

Magee
Originally posted by PVS
but when someone makes a movie, claims it to be historically accurate,
and it's a blatent lie, thats just wrong....yeah....mel gibson needs to die As if Braveheart was'nt enough he goes and makes The Patriot, totaly agree with you, he should definitely die mad

KidRock
We watched Gattaca in Hn. Biology, if had to do with genetic engineering, ect.
We watched the breakfast club in English to go along with "a catcher in the rye", to show the different types of 'clicks' in life and stuff.

And that is about it..

stingray005
When I watched Ferris Bueler's Day Off in English, it was like the last day of school and we already had reviewed for the finals and stuff, so I don't see a problem with that.

RedAlertv2
You guys are all lucky. At my school, the only PG13 movie ever watched was the Sixth Sense (which my class didnt watch). Beyond that, we always watch corny PG movies like October Sky and Remember the Titans.

Tptmanno1
Yea after AP testing all we really do In AP classes is watch movies and such.
This year,
English I've seen
"The Crucible"
And
"Of Mice and Men"
And In history
"Dr. Strangelove"
"All The Presidents Men"
"American Graffiti"
"A Rosa Parks Story"
"13 Days"

And I'm taking film Analysis, we see all sorts of cool movies in that class

Lana
Last year we watched loads of movies in my math class during the last three weks of school, it was after the AP exam and we had nothing else to do, so we watched Shrek, Ferris Bueller, and a few other movies...we also watched Spaceballs in AP Biology on Halloween, but that was the first day since school started that we actually took a break from classwork.

Most of the movies I've watched in school were actually relevant to something we were learning, though. I still wish we could have talked our philosophy teacher into letting us watch Matrix....

Best thing ever though, was my friend Meg and I talking our teacher into letting us watch Dr. Strangelove in physics class junior year. Hehehe. Well, we WERE learning about nuclear technology at the time and it was the last week of school....

Oh, and we watched Monty Python during German class once. Believe it or not, it actually WAS relevant.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by KharmaDog
I was in the movie forum and looked at a thread that was talking about movies that kids had watched while in class. Here are some of the movies and the classes in which they were shown:

The Patriot in history, which although was supposed to occur during the american revolution is so historically innacurate that it should never have been shown anywhere near a history class.

Taxi Driver & Man on Fire in computer class. Neither of these have anything to do computers and just show that the teachers were incredibly lazy or incredibly unqualified for the position.

Kill Bill Vol.1 and Ferris Bueler's Day Off in English , what the hell do these have to do with english class?

What the hell?! Personally if I was a parent I'd be a little pissed. I don't know whether this shows apathy or total unprofessionalism from the teachers or schools, but it definitley would explain why kids seem to know less and less and that the education seems to be not near as effective as it used to be.

Any thoughts?

My thoughts are, it's just a god damn movie. Every kid i knew in school diddnt watch class movies with an educational perspective. Movies were always looked at as slack off time. there is no need for movies anyway. You are a teacher, you are paid to create vivid painting in the mind. The only movies that i remember that any one took somthing away from, was the WWII footage of nazi's piling jews on conveyor belts that moved the bodies into a boiler. Showing how the americans fought, and seeing actual facial expressions, of the americans when they came across the concentration camps are images that will stay with me forever.

botankus
Yeah, when we watched Kids in Social Studies I thought that was a relief from a long school year. Thanks, Mrs. Allison!

-kidding

WindDancer
Belive it or not in my Jr. High School final year our history teacher gave us a lecture on slavery. Then he played the entire first season of Roots during the last week and the day before summer break we had to watch Shaka Zulu. Even worse we had to take a quiz on what we saw. It was hell alright...but I did like the movies.

Fishy
Originally posted by Fire
But who shows The Patriot or Gladiator in History????

My history teacher, he also showed American History X and Southpark...

In the last four classes after all our work was done and we had nothing more to do... He just asked people to bring movies with any historical context they could think of. I brought Southpark and Gladiator, I know both have nothing to do with history, but both are damn good movies

silver_tears
We watch a great deal of movies.

In history class we watched The Clan of the Cave Bear, Alexander, Spartacus, in religion we watch things such as Joseph and the Technicolour Dreamcoat, Jesus Christ: Superstar, the Passion, in English class we watched Macbeth, the new Romeo and Juliet, etc etc.

I think movies are a great idea to teach something. If they are accurate they're wonderful. Because some people are visual learners and it helps them.

And I honestly don't think watching movies is dumbing down the generation. If aything the movies we watch in health and bio are much more informative and generally better than the same about 15 years ago.

big gay kirk
Originally posted by PVS
mel gibson should die no expression

Trust me... he will.....

big gay kirk
We showed "Touching the Void" to our Scouts one night.... a week before we were due to do some rock climbing.... I think perhaps we should have shown them afterwards.....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.