the greatest black superhero of all time

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

all4carnage
whos the greatest black super hero.........tell me who and give reasons why....

all4carnage
i believe spawn is.....hes the most creative one Ive seen so far and the coolest

Mainstream
I don't really know if Spawn is a superhero....I guess he is...I always like mr. Terrific of the JSA. and Cyborg of Teen Titans eek!

DarkCrawler
Black Panther.

K3VIL
Black Panther is one contender, Falcon too, also War Machine

Scoobless
Panther is good... but Cage has more heart

anyone rate Jim Rhodes in this?

EDIT: i guess some of you do stupid

K3VIL
Originally posted by Scoobless
Panther is good... but Cage has more heart

anyone rate Jim Rhodes in this?
I sayed War Machine, he's great, not popular as IM, but he fought many times and he was great in the cartoon too, when he goes against Fing Fan Foom and his brothers alone

Mainstream
Storm and Bishop should be forgotten.

all4carnage
well if i wouldn't go with spawn even though he is the most power out of them i would say Luke cage........its always nice to see a power house from the hood kick super villain ass...

Bishop X
Originally posted by Mainstream
Storm and Bishop should be forgotten.

No...way...Mainstream. Bishop kicks ass. eek!

seaapple
There are not that many that go beyond stereotypes and cliches.

Still there are some interesting ones. He is not a hero, but I like the Black Manta as a rutheless villain that lives under the sea. They could have given him some more powers though...

Check out this website for a huge list of black superheroes:
http://www.blacksuperhero.com/exhibits2.cfm

The thing is that I like mysterious heroes that are not just brute force. Even if they are powerful it is nice if they can use some finesse with their powers. Unfortunately many black superheroes are in the "big thug" category, especially older heroes.

Cloak is pretty cool, but he is stereoptypical in other ways (black hero - power over blackness). I still like Cloak a great deal though, he has a unique power and is enigmatic and interesting.

I also like John Stewart Green Lantern, but he looks much cooler when he wears a mask like Hal. I always just liked Green Lantern: cool powers, cool uniform. I like John and Hal the best because they are serious veteran Gls.

I look forward to seeing who other people select.

p.s. (what percentage of black superheroes have "Black" in their names?)

Mainstream
Originally posted by Bishop X
No...way...Mainstream. Bishop kicks ass. eek!

I had a feeling you'd say that Bishop X. he tough I heard he likes to work out character43

DigiMark007
SHAFT

Scoobless
that guy "NightHawk" from Supreme Power is a total racist

Mainstream
that guy "NightHawk" from Supreme Power is a total racist

he like the batman of the getto...I heard he likes to work out at night character43

stormfront13
STORM!!!! along with M, bishop, synch, black panther, cloak, sometimes mystique, is shard african american??

Mainstream
Originally posted by stormfront13
STORM!!!! along with M, bishop, synch, black panther, cloak, sometimes mystique, is shard african american?? she Bishop's sister so yeah.

Joker1237
Luke Cage, I always felt he was the best black Superhero imo.

pr1983
War Machine... he's the shit...

Mainstream
Steel...he's the superman for my people...but I like comic book Cyborg..toon titans Cyborg is okay.

stormfront13
well i knew she was his sister but to me she never really looked african american

all4carnage
deathstrike is cool

Mainstream
well i knew she was his sister but to me she never really looked african american

she looked more mexican..but I"m assuming she black.

seaapple
STORM!!!! along with M, bishop, synch, black panther, cloak, sometimes mystique, is shard african american??

By sometimes Mystique do you just mean that sometimes she adopts an African American form? Or do you consider her to be African American?

stormfront13
yeah i thought she was a little puerto rican(did I spell that right)

stormfront13
yeaH sometimes mystique could be african american so i said mystique

Mainstream
yeah i thought she was a little puerto rican(did I spell that right) close enough she's a woman of color...so well count her anyway.

Bishop X
Steel...he's the superman for my people...but I like comic book Cyborg..toon titans Cyborg is okay.

Yea steel is one bad superhero, especially in that Entropy Aegis armor

big grin

Bishop X

She was probably just light-skinned. Besides I've seen artist depictions when she was Bishops skin tone. And M is sooo fine. You guys remember the actress that played her on the Mutant X Movie on Fox?

Scoobless
yeaH sometimes mystique could be african american so i said mystique
close enough she's a woman of color...so well count her anyway.

just because a meta-human is black (or African American if you prefer... even though some of the people mentioned aren't American) doesn't mean they are a GREAT black superhero..... you have to prove yourself before you're considered great... and that doesn't mean "be powerful" it means going above and beyond

stormfront13
well with scoobs descriptoin i think storm, bishop, and black panther

Bishop X
just because a meta-human is black (or African American if you prefer... even though some of the people mentioned aren't American) doesn't mean they are a GREAT black superhero..... you have to prove yourself before you're considered great... and that doesn't mean "be powerful" it means going above and beyond

Well I know Bishop is great, he saved the entire X-Men team and altered the timeline forever. Black Panther, Dooms equivalent turned Tony Stark into a poorboy. Steel in his Entropy Aegis armor destroyed Doomsday. Storm...well she speaks for herself. Maybe if more black heroes were given more limelight, we wouldn't need to struggling to pick out the ones who have displayed awesome feats of strength and courage. wink

P.S. Falcon is also awesome.

all4carnage
its a shame how they don't make the super heroes of color to strong...u never see a hero of color with super awesome power

Bishop X
Steel in his Entropy Aegis armor was more powerful than Superman.

all4carnage
Steel in his Entropy Aegis armor was more powerful than Superman. is he really???

stormfront13
yes you do, storm- she is one of the most powerful, loved and loyal x-men members there is. she has one of the toighest backrounds, and she hasw lived throuigh it. many other whie superheroes would have tons of trouble becoming the best pick-pocket theif in all of egypt.

Scoobless
Maybe if more black heroes were given more limelight, we wouldn't need to struggling to pick out the ones who have displayed awesome feats of strength and courage. wink

it's not about strength.... being a hero is about heart and courage.... about doing things even though you're afraid..... it's not about getting the best or most powerful suit of armour... or getting a "secondary mutation" that makes you harder to kill

Bishop X
Originally posted by all4carnage
is he really???

He sure as hell was, he reduced Doomsday to dirt pretty much. Doomsday was gonna kill his niece. It's nice to be on a board with some color. big grin

Bishop X
it's not about strength.... being a hero is about heart and courage.... about doing things even though you're afraid..... it's not about getting the best or most powerful suit of armour... or getting a "secondary mutation" that makes you harder to kill

Doomsday isn't black is he? big grin Well I said courage in my post too and all the heroes I have mentioned have loads of it. Imagine attempting to be a black superhero in today's world, that alone would take mounds of courage.

Sentry
Photon is one of the more powerful black heroes. Captain Marvel II.

eleveninches
1.Black Panther
2.Blade
3.Luke Cage
4.Spawn
5.Bishop
6.John Stewart
7.Mr T
8.Steel
9.Storm
10.Cyborg
11.Dr Midnite
12.Mr Teriffic
13.Shaft
14.Lando Calrisian
15.War Machine
16.Papa Midnite
17.Nighthawk

Bishop X
Bishop should be higher *cough*.

all4carnage
what about night thrasher from the new worriers?

Scoobless
Originally posted by all4carnage
what about night thrasher from the new worriers?

yes... he's black.... but do you really consider him "the greatest black superhero of all time" ???? people should stop just trying to name as many black characters as they can and focus on which of them is, in fact, the greatest

i like Cage and i think he has a ton of potential.... but at the moment Falcon might get my vote

Bishop X
Well I'm still stuck between Steel, Panther and of course Bishop.

Freaky Zeeky
I say Black Panther or Green Lanthern.

BENITO
SPAWN!!!!! case closed

all4carnage
im going with my first choice.....spawn rules all

Scoobless
Spawn is a murderer.... he's not even a hero

all4carnage
spawn told me that if i didnt say he was the greatest he was going to kill me.........immm sooooo scaared..................(cries)

Turkish
"The Brown Hornet" ! ala Fat Albert fame, never a kewler afro hero !

pr1983
i've always preferred war machine...

the greatest would be black panther i suppose...

BENITO
Spawn is a murderer.... he's not even a hero
hero someone who works on the side of good.

stormfront13
can someone give me info on black panther?? i thought he was just one of the greatest martial artists with sper good technology(for a lack of better wording)

armandovalles
i think the best black superhero ever is either Storm or John Stewart.

Freaky Zeeky
Oh yeah! I forgot bout Storm!

Next Venom_girl
She's blue... confused

stormfront13
venom what are you talking bout?? that quote was refering to shard bishops sister, and mystique could be black if she wanted

Scoobless
venom what are you talking bout?? that quote was refering to shard bishops sister, and mystique could be black if she wanted

so could Michael Jackson............ roll eyes (sarcastic)

fruits
hmmm, Cloak, Black Panther, Falcon, Blade and Bishop are my top 5

LordFear
I acknowledge Spawn and Black Panther.
Falcon--he is a one dimensional character and moreso a sidekick rather than a stand alone hero.
Cage--he is your idea of white people trying to be "cool" and revamp an urban black hero. Stereotypical, can't stand him.
Cloak- has great potential to develop as a character but not used oftenly enough.
Maxim--He is just a Thanos/Hulk rip off and appeared briefly in the Infinity Crusade saga.
Rhodes---Don't see him as an important figure and he is just a spinoff from a much more famous character. He was Stark's lackey/buddy/confidant.

whirlysplat
The new Ultimate Falcon on first appearances could soon be the undisputed black hero. He made a big impression and stole the show in ultimate knightmare. I think ultimate Nick Fury is very cool as well big grin

armandovalles
I still say John Stewart is the greatest black superhero ever.

manjaro
i dont give a dmn what anybody says. thanos and darksied are the illest black guys ever.laughing......well close enuff...smile also i think the original Silver Surfer was black until he was retconned as a bald white guy. so i guess it would be those three.....im almost willing to throw gladiator in there too

LordFear
Originally posted by manjaro
i dont give a dmn what anybody says. thanos and darksied are the illest black guys ever.laughing......well close enuff...smile also i think the original Silver Surfer was black until he was retconned as a bald white guy. so i guess it would be those three.....im almost willing to throw gladiator in there too

You know I thank God that I was not the only one who has ever thought that.
For awhile I really believed Thanos to be black.
Just something about his attitude

long pig
Mr. T.
End of debate.

And I also thought Thanos was black, I don't really know why.

armandovalles
omg! are u people THAT dumb? Thanos is PURPLE! PURPLE! PURPLE! NOT BLACK! PURPLE!

vaya_the_elf
I'd have to say Green latern

black robb
Black Panther is my favorite black character

LordFear
Originally posted by armandovalles
omg! are u people THAT dumb? Thanos is PURPLE! PURPLE! PURPLE! NOT BLACK! PURPLE!

Well the same can be said for Spawn, he was black but now
could u tell???
Anyway, Titans don't come in a "standard" color.

sbo
Storm is the best, she's been around longer than any other black hero that I know of, and is still popular.

Zahit
Black Panther.

Zahit
Originally posted by sbo
Storm is the best, she's been around longer than any other black hero that I know of, and is still popular.
Black Panther started in the 60's, way before Storm....

sbo
Originally posted by Zahit
Black Panther started in the 60's, way before Storm....

But he hasn't been consistently making appearances like storm has.

Storm's been in the forefront of the comics since she showed up.

Although Panther is the older character, Storm is more prominent.

Mainstream
Originally posted by sbo
But he hasn't been consistently making appearances like storm has.

Storm's been in the forefront of the comics since she showed up.

Although Panther is the older character, Storm is more prominent.

true dat.

Zahit
Have ya'll read any of the new Black Panther books?
His prominence is just starting to shine.....

mdbull73
Blade and Spawn by far

Luke Cage will never get any real pub

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.