The Jedi Council

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

queeq
Knowing the pretty good story of AOTC now, I can safely say the Jedi Council deserve what they have coming to them. They certainly have a bad judgment on things, they make a lot of bad descisions: allowing Anakin to be trained and sending him on a protective mission with Padme.

Bantha Fodder
These decisions wouldn't have been so bad if not for Palpatine's evil manipulation of everything. The council kept peace for a thousand years prior to palpatine, but somehow palpatine saps the jedi's powers from them and weakens their ability to sense things with the force. In the novel, there is even some talk of this, with Windu asking Yoda if they should tell the senate that their powers aren't as strong any longer.

I wonder how Palpatine does this? Somehow he is able to cloud the jedi's vision, to weaken their ability to use the force in sensing the future. And of course, none of the jedi can sense that Palpatine is an evil sith lord, although I get the feeling that Yoda may suspect something is not right with Palpatine. But it remains to be seen if the movie shows this or not.

Also, according to Dooku, he even warns the Jedi council about the Sith's influence in the senate, although it is not clear if he actually names Palpatine or not.

All very interesting, hopefully Lucas does a better job of telling the story in AOTC than he did with TPM. It would be a shame if another potentially good movie was ruined by Lucas's incompetence.

finti
what about some spoilers here

queeq
OKay, here it is: it's clear from the very beginning that Anakin is infatuated with Padme (I've heard from people who saw early screenings that they find this in the beginning a little awkward, it gets better as the movie goes along). OB1 sees it too. Anakin tells him after their firt reunion that "being around her is intoxicating". OB1 warns the Council not to send Anakin on a solitary protective mission, taking Padme safely to Nabbo. Mace and Yoda disregard his objections and send him off anyway.

Kind of interesting to see is that Padme turns out to be a major source for Anakin's disobedience. She convinces him that love and hate make him human, while the Jedi prohibit JEdi to marry or hate. Just remember the teaser poster: A Jedi shall not know anger. Nor hate. Nor Love. Padme talks into him making him feel not bad about himself for having these feelings. She even justifies him slaughtering the Tuskens.
Padme is turning into the biblical Eve here: she too convices her husband to follow the path of evil. wink

Dim
roll eyes (sarcastic) Dont be bringing Eve into all this...Padme's just a codependent. I don't really get why she would be stupid enough to get involve with a Jedi..given her position it seems like she would have more respect for order and tradition.

finti
Well Eve and Padme have something in common, they are both fictional temptestresses

queeq
Indeed. I am certain Lucas is using this image. She intends well, but she does help him closer to his doom. If OB1'd have known about this, he would have protested stronger methinks. I think afterwards he blamed himself for not hammering Anakin's responsibility in. But it is very very clear Padme is supporting Anakin in un-Jedi behaviour. Which is lovely for the story of course.

Ushgarak
Disappointing to see such an unwise Jedi Council.

It's attachments that are dangerous for a Jedi, I believe it has been said, which is why they 'cannot' love. I guess this wasn't made clear enough to Anakin.

sarlacc
i think this is the explaination of leia's "sadness" comment. padme must come to realize her role in anakin's fall and probalbly blames herself.

also, i too haven't been impressed with the wisdom and ability of the cuncil. i would like an explanatiton of why they can sence fear and thoughts of his mother in anakin, but have no idea about the sith right uder thier nose.

Captain REX
That...or Padme just doesn't understand the ways of the Jedi very well. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan were probably the first Jedi she had ever seen, although she'd heard of the Jedi before.

They did a story kinda like this on www.holonetnews.com about the Jedi taking Ludia (whatever her name is) and starting her training, thinking that her mother was dead. Then the mother is discovered alive and she raises a big thing about how "The Jedi are jerks." She just doesn't understand now that she's being trained, if she turns from the training she will have the potential of the Dark-side easily.

I just refering to that people don't really understand the Jedi, other than they protect people and kill people with glowing sticks. big grin

queeq
Both Rex and Ush are right about the attachment thing. In the novel Anakin refers to it but explains it that Jedi also care grately for the living so love is the ultimate form of that. Padme encourages him in thinking so. She seems to sort of understand the regulations, but not the reason for them. She encourages Anakin to be human. There is this great line that goes sort of like this:

Padme: Doesn't anger mean you're human?
Anakin: Controlling it means you're a Jedi.

Anyway, they are too long alone together and they get influenced by their hormones. Very dramatic that.

Also, the Council is also clear that their vision is clouded somewhat because of the rise of the Dark Side. But still, ignoring OB1's warning of sending Anakin alone with Padme to Naboo is very unwise I think.

yerssot
ok, since you have the novel, can you get all the names of the JC?

queeq
They are not all in the novel.

yerssot
any new names among them, like Shaak Ti?

queeq
I think he was, yes. And Kit Fisto.

yerssot
she, queeq...

but Kit Fisto isn't in the JC!

queeq
True.

yerssot
How hard is it to get the answer to the question:
who's that blue parasaurolopus in the JC????????????????
I want names, not leads!
I want GL's head on a stick! ... after Ep III then

Captain REX
Sarr Labooda, remember? I said that in the other thread.

queeq
There you go then.

yerssot
No, actually I don't remember. never heared that name ...

Emperor Helmet
http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/tfn.cgi?storyID=14802

yerssot
ok, thanx

hope they will make an actionfigure of him smile

Emperor Helmet
You can count on it.

yerssot
ok... let me rephrase...

I hope they'll get it HERE sad

Captain REX
Poor Yerssot. Belgium is having a strike on action figures. sad

I'll e-mail u a pic of one (if I ever find one and if they make one)

So, tall spindly head dude is gone? Boo!

yerssot
HEY!!! I DO have 6 of them already!

Dim
which ones?

yerssot
*proud*
Mace Deluxe; Jango Deluxe; Dooku Deluxe, Superbattledroid, C-3PO and Kit Fisto smile

Although it's expansive, I suggest you buy the Jango Deluxe one! It's a great one!

Emperor Helmet
I have them all. I haven't bought the beasts or ships yet. I will probably just get Slave 1, The Jedi Starfighter and Dooku's Solar Sailor. I'll get the beasts when they are almost giving them away at wal-mart.

yerssot
lucky you!

I already made my list (had to select due to having almost NOTHING! sad )
they mostly include the JC

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.