Comic Book Movies (and lots of them!)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DigiMark007
I stay up on movie news, and recently stumbled into a great comic-themed article on all the comic movies currently in development. They might not all see the movie screen but many of them will.

1. FF - In a few weeks...we all know about this one
2. Batman Begins - ditto
3. V for Vendetta - based on Moore's graphic novel. Nov. 4 2005
4. X-Men 3 - May '05 (Kelsey Grammer rumored to play Beast)
5. Superman Returns - June '06
6. Ghost Rider - August '06
7. Wonder Woman - (directed by Joss Whedon...the mastermind behind Buffy)
8. Watchmen - Again based on a Moore comic...no release date.
9. Punisher 2
10. Deathlok - ??
11. Hellboy 2
12. The Ultimates - Basically an Avengers movie, though presumably without Hulk and Iron Man since other studios have the rights to them.
13. Spider-Man 3 - May '07 (Black Cat is for sure, and most likely Thomas Haden-Church will be playing Sandman)
14. Iron Man - ??
15. Sub-Mariner
16. Sin City - (Sin City 2 & 3 scheduled to film at the same time)
17. The Flash - (David Goyer to direct...he did Blade: Trinity and also wrote Batman Begins. Ryan Reynolds rumored to play Wally West)

...all I got. Thought this was interesting. Horray for the success of X-Men and Spider-Man because we're getting treated to tons of comic movies in the next few years.

-DM

Scoobless
i think Ryan Reynolds would make a good Wally..... he was funny as hell in two guys and a girl

p.s.... i think your "May 05" prediction for X3 may have been slightly off target

dawsey28
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/darkmindnc/marvelrc.jpg

This is an old pic, but it kind of shows the ideas that were running for Marvel Movies.

fruits
Originally posted by DigiMark007
I stay up on movie news, and recently stumbled into a great comic-themed article on all the comic movies currently in development. They might not all see the movie screen but many of them will.

1. FF - In a few weeks...we all know about this one
2. Batman Begins - ditto
3. V for Vendetta - based on Moore's graphic novel. Nov. 4 2005
4. X-Men 3 - May '05 (Kelsey Grammer rumored to play Beast)
5. Superman Returns - June '06
6. Ghost Rider - August '06
7. Wonder Woman - (directed by Joss Whedon...the mastermind behind Buffy)
8. Watchmen - Again based on a Moore comic...no release date.
9. Punisher 2
10. Deathlok - ??
11. Hellboy 2
12. The Ultimates - Basically an Avengers movie, though presumably without Hulk and Iron Man since other studios have the rights to them.
13. Spider-Man 3 - May '07 (Black Cat is for sure, and most likely Thomas Haden-Church will be playing Sandman)
14. Iron Man - ??
15. Sub-Mariner
16. Sin City - (Sin City 2 & 3 scheduled to film at the same time)
17. The Flash - (David Goyer to direct...he did Blade: Trinity and also wrote Batman Begins. Ryan Reynolds rumored to play Wally West)

...all I got. Thought this was interesting. Horray for the success of X-Men and Spider-Man because we're getting treated to tons of comic movies in the next few years.

-DM

one problem, black cat is definantly not "for sure" for spiderman 3. otherwise, thats awesome. cant wait for ne of em

munkiesarus
Originally posted by dawsey28
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/darkmindnc/marvelrc.jpg

This is an old pic, but it kind of shows the ideas that were running for Marvel Movies.

Namor's logo looks cool...but I think that's just about it!

And for the record, I do not want to see a comic-to-film adaptation of Watchmen.

One of the greatest literary masterpeices of all time, it was almost 100% most likely be ruined.

And the "Noo, Alan Moore won't let it be bad or horrible" argument is crap. Look what happened to The League of Extraordinairy Gentlemen...I mean, they called it LXG!

dawsey28
I just want to make sure that everyone knows that pic I posted is very old.

Personally, with the strong sense of American pride here in the states at the moment, I think Captain America would be the perfect comic-to-film adaptation.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Scoobless
i think Ryan Reynolds would make a good Wally..... he was funny as hell in two guys and a girl

p.s.... i think your "May 05" prediction for X3 may have been slightly off target

Sorry, I meant '06

And dawsey, there's probably as much anti-patriotism as nationalism here stateside...I'm not really at either end, but a Cap movie would create a helluva stir. In any case, if the Avengers movie gets made, he'll almost certainly be in it.

And most of the movies listed have something vague like Summer '06 or Late '07...so unless it stated something specific, I didn't put the release dates, since they usually change a bunch.

-DM

Scoobless
Originally posted by DigiMark007
And dawsey, there's probably as much anti-patriotism as nationalism here stateside...I'm not really at either end, but a Cap movie would create a helluva stir. In any case, if the Avengers movie gets made, he'll almost certainly be in it.

patriotism is a funny thing...... don't show enough and people think you don't care...... show too much and they think you're either xenophobic or racist

anyone who thinks their country is just plain better than anyone else's would fall into that latter category

mr.smiley
As far as I know,Kelsey Grammar is no longer rumored to be Beast.It is FACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avi Arad said the deal was sealed.

dawsey28
Let's not turn this thread into a political debate, please. wink Not that anyone has already, but I just would rather not get into all that. Let's keep this about the movies.

I guess I started something, I shouldn't have.

DigiMark007
Wasn't trying to make it political either...it's cool though. We've stayed enough on comic movies to keep it justififed.

In any case, I think Kelsey Grammer will make a great Beast. And that pic munkiesarus posted has Silver Surfer and Cap on it...my source was pretty thorough, so perhaps those got put on hold or bumped back quite a bit. I'd love to see a movie Galactus though...that would be cool.

-DM

P.S. Honestly, if Spider-Man 3 is as good as the first two, I could care less about most of these others...but it'd still be neat to see a lot of them.

Paola
My precious X-Men cry

vader519
I can't wait to see V for Vendetta, now that Hugo Weaving(Agent Smith in the Matrix Trilogy) is now playing V.

DarkCrawler
Na...Namor film...please let it be good...

Wickerman
Originally posted by DarkCrawler
Na...Namor film...please let it be good...

I totally agree. Also, wasn't there supposed to be a Silver Surfer movie coming out in 06??

~wickerman~

Mainstream
Originally posted by Wickerman
I totally agree. Also, wasn't there supposed to be a Silver Surfer movie coming out in 06??

~wickerman~

Silver Surfer would be hard to sell to the public...but visually it could be cool as hell

Wickerman
Originally posted by Mainstream
Silver Surfer would be hard to sell to the public...but visually it could be cool as hell

There was an animated series but it got cancelled after the 1st season due to Marvel Comics' financial problems sad

~wickerman~

Mainstream
I remember that....wasn't the fire girl voiced by the girl that voice Jubilee.

grey fox
yeah and we actually got to see thanos , he was pretty damn bad-ass

Scoobless
the Silver Surfer cartoon sucked ballzz..... he wouldn't make a good movie adaptation, non-comic audiences wouldn't relate to him and to be frank, even i (a self confessed comic-geek) would not look forward to it

even as far as comic characters go he's an unrealistic character

Wickerman
the Silver Surfer cartoon sucked ballzz..... he wouldn't make a good movie adaptation, non-comic audiences wouldn't relate to him and to be frank, even i (a self confessed comic-geek) would not look forward to it

even as far as comic characters go he's an unrealistic character

1. I'm not a big fan of a naked silver dude that rides a surf board across the Universe What the f**k? WTF is up with THAT?!?!?

2. you forgot to mention that there was just ONE season. Personally i didn't like the old X-men toons when they first began.... erm You have no way of knowing if it would've become better in the following seasons.

3. I dunno if it'd be good or not.....the CGI would probably dominate the screen, and it might become another comic book lover slug-fest "He looked crapp vs he looked good" like after the Hulk.

4. I was just asking/wondering sad

~wickerman~

DarkCrawler
They should make WWII movie with Namor, Captain America and orginal Human Torch on it.

Lord S
Originally posted by Mainstream
Silver Surfer would be hard to sell to the public...but visually it could be cool as hell Yeah I agree...it would be very tricky to sell him to the mainstream public, but you never know...Superman worked just fine. Emotion is the key for the Surfer...get the audience on his side, early, and it just might work.

even as far as comic characters go he's an unrealistic character WHAT?!?! What the f**k?

That cartoon series was absolutely magnificient...the emotion in the storyline was strong, and the visuals were great. It nowhere near sucked...the only thing that sucked was that it got cancelled WAY before it's time.

And Superman is realistic?

Nobody's mentioned a possible Thor movie, so I will suggest it. Like the Surfer, it's tricky...but if they were to make it Troy-esque, it might work.

Scoobless
Superman is more realistic than Surfer..... Smallville shows that

Sentry
Silver Surfer should at least have cameo appearances. Like if they do a FF4 sequel, and make their enemy Galactus, Surfer could squeeze into the picture to help the FF4 out, and hopefully get his name out to do a spin off movie.

Sentry
Galactus has battled the FF4 on more than one occasion with the help of other cosmic beings of course. Galactus and Silver Surfer would be cool to see on the big screen.

Wickerman
Originally posted by Lord S
Nobody's mentioned a possible Thor movie, so I will suggest it. Like the Surfer, it's tricky...but if they were to make it Troy-esque, it might work.

It might work. Plenty of people know/love Thor, and i bet the movie would bring in Mythology lovers as well as comic book lovers. But if it were to be done, it should be done in one of two ways:

1. Asgardian battle between him and Loki being reflected in his actions on Earth

2. Direct fighting in Asgard.

I'd prefer the 1st myself. More like a subtle influence that Loki has. That would reflect the comic book and mythology persona that he has.

They should also be careful not to let Mjolnir steal the show. Give it importance, but don't turn it into the main hero. erm

Did any of that make sense???

~wickerman~

roughrider
Don't forget, THOR is somewhere in the works. David S. Goyer has said he's involved and has ideas. Now that Marvel has made a big pact with Paramount Pictures for remaining characters, I can see him coming from there.
Casting ideas...? Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

Wickerman
Originally posted by roughrider
Don't forget, THOR is somewhere in the works. David S. Goyer has said he's involved and has ideas. Now that Marvel has made a big pact with Paramount Pictures for remaining characters, I can see him coming from there.
Casting ideas...? Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

I would've said Jason Lewis but apparently he's doing the He-man remake so.....i dunno

~wickerman~

roughrider
THOR...I think I found him. NATHAN JONES.
I know, not familar...he was in the the first reel of TROY.
The thessalian warrior called out to match Achillies - when he stepped out of the line, I gasped. He was so big, I thought he was computer-generated! But he's real. A sometimes wrestler and bodyguard from Australia, he's 6'10 and 330 lbs. Back in the nineties he won a world's strongest man competition.
If he can look good with reddish-blond locks and act a little, I'm sold.

Wickerman
Originally posted by roughrider
THOR...I think I found him. NATHAN JONES.
I know, not familar...he was in the the first reel of TROY.
The thessalian warrior called out to match Achillies - when he stepped out of the line, I gasped. He was so big, I thought he was computer-generated! But he's real. A sometimes wrestler and bodyguard from Australia, he's 6'10 and 330 lbs. Back in the nineties he won a world's strongest man competition.
If he can look good with reddish-blond locks and act a little, I'm sold.

He looks the part muscle-wise.....but a few problems.....he's bald blink , he has no professional acting background, and he prolly couldn't do the Thor accent erm

~wickerman~

roughrider
Well, yeah...he's bald. For casting, I wouldn't want to wait around for a couple of years for someone to grow hair to the right length. Wig. And beard( halfway through film, on Midgard, shaves it off?)
And yeah he's Australian, but so is Russell Crowe and he did a good guttural as Maximus. Anyway, it's just a hunch. Maybe he can't act a lick, even though Thor - like Conan - doesn't require a lot of subtlety.
They could put wig and wardrobe on and he won't look right, who knows.

When Nicolas Cage did a wardobe test for Superman - God, he looked creepy - and wrong!

2nd choice: Tyler Mane?( Sabretooth) reading

roughrider
Although, now that I think about it, I believe Goyer said something like if he had his way, he wouldn't be casting any wrestlers for this role. Who then? Some Swedish strongman off of ESPN? confused

Sentry
Originally posted by Wickerman
He looks the part muscle-wise.....but a few problems.....he's bald blink , he has no professional acting background, and he prolly couldn't do the Thor accent erm

~wickerman~

Actually Nathan Jones the Colossus of Boggo Road(Yes that was his wrestling name) is in the new movie Tom Yung Goong. It's basically the same cast from Ong Bak, Tony Jaa returns, but not as Ting Pradu, but as another different kind of warrior blending Muay Thai, Joint Manipulation, and Aerial Kicks, with flashy take downs.

Nathan Jones would be perfect for Thor. Look, big bald fu<ker in the poster:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/sifu1/tyg-poster-03.jpg

Here Nathan is in Troy:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/sifu1/nathan_troy.jpg

With long goldilocks, he'd be perfect for Thor.

roughrider
Ah, the caffine got me thinking now - 3rd choice for THOR: Rolf Moeller.
aka Hagan from Gladiator.
A bit older; currently 46, but a 6'6 brick shitehouse of muscle. A Mr. Universe in 1985, and German - so a true Scandinavian. And can act. smart

roughrider
Thanks for the picture, Sentry. Just picture Nathan swinging that hammer...hahaha

Sentry
Kung Fu Bump

grey fox
For some reason i want to see a captain marvel film it could be done in my opinion... right casting and mabey some decent cgi for lightening effects, and SHAZAM we have a Captain Marvell film

Superfly4000
Which company has the rights to the Silver Surfer? And who would be best to play the role?

ScarletSpider
Silver Surfer could be good if they went really stylized with it, like they did with Sin City. Not in the Sin City style of course, but they shouldn't make it like Star Wars, so many special effects that they try to make look "real" that just end up looking stupid. They should make it a grandiose space opera, over the top, brooding philosopher who looks ridiculous, but can take out anyone.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.