Muay Thai or Boxing?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

AdventChild
I'm very uneducated in both areas, I've heard that Muay Thai is a very good art but so is boxing.. Both very effective and both very great...So what do you guys think? Boxing or Muay Thai? big grin smart

SlipknoT
Muay Thai

fruits
can someone describe what Muay Thai is exactly

AdventChild
Originally posted by fruits
can someone describe what Muay Thai is exactly
i think it's like kickboxing...

mr.smiley
Muay thai adds grappling strikes into its art.I've never seen a straight out boxer take out a muay thai boxer.At the same time though,a muay thai boxer needs effencieant grappling skills to fight.

((The_Anomaly))
Boxing...

TrAnCeDuO
*cough*wrongforum*cough*

Bardock42
WingChun by far....oh wait wasn't the question...yeah well both styles have their pros and cons,...I couldn't say which one is better.

KidRock
Both are good in their areas. If a muay thai fighter and a boxer fought under boxing rules the boxer would win and vice versa.

Bardock42
Originally posted by KidRock
Both are good in their areas. If a muay thai fighter and a boxer fought under boxing rules the boxer would win and vice versa.

That said, you probably mean a Muay Thai boxer would win, since there are much less rules than in boxing (as for not using parts of your body or hit parts of the opponents body)

KidRock
Originally posted by Bardock42
That said, you probably mean a Muay Thai boxer would win, since there are much less rules than in boxing (as for not using parts of your body or hit parts of the opponents body)

That is what I said.. in a Muay Thai fight a MT fighter would win since he knows how to use knees and kicks better, but in an american boxing fight he can only punch, and the Boxer would be much better at doing that.

Bardock42
Originally posted by KidRock
That is what I said.. in a Muay Thai fight a MT fighter would win since he knows how to use knees and kicks better, but in an american boxing fight he can only punch, and the Boxer would be much better at doing that.

Yes I know, I agree. But if it was a fight to death, the Muay Thai would have an advantage

MildPossession
Muay Thai, take that up over boxing, plus loads of classes are getting started up now because of films like Ong Bak. Learn a lot more about control and body movement as a whole, so I have been told.

I'd like to be able to use my body as a whole in defence/keeping healthy over just using arms/punches, and Muay Thai is more spiritual which guides me towards it over boxing.

Freaky Zeeky
I say Boxing...
yes

AdventChild
I say muay thai...it's all around.....and applies almost as much power as boxing...

HimoKun
Drunken Boxing. The way a real man fights. big grin

Darth Jello
ok, I'll tell you as someone who does it Muay Thai (and it's military form, Lerdrit) use the fists, elbows, knees, and shins. You do NOT use you're feet.
Strikes are slower but much more damaging than faster martial arts like tai kwon do. the training is rigorous and injuries can be very bad (i currently have some nerve trauma and a rotated pelvis from my last match).

Above all, before choosing realize that Muay Thai is probably THE MOST LETHAL of all martial arts and when combined with Brazilian Ju-jitsu is quite formidable.

AdventChild
Originally posted by Darth Jello
ok, I'll tell you as someone who does it Muay Thai (and it's military form, Lerdrit) use the fists, elbows, knees, and shins. You do NOT use you're feet.
Strikes are slower but much more damaging than faster martial arts like tai kwon do. the training is rigorous and injuries can be very bad (i currently have some nerve trauma and a rotated pelvis from my last match).

Above all, before choosing realize that Muay Thai is probably THE MOST LETHAL of all martial arts and when combined with Brazilian Ju-jitsu is quite formidable.

Very knowledgeable of the Martial arts you are..... eek!

BlazingBarrells
muai tai doesnt use feet. i thought jean claude used his feet in his directorial debut The Quest. lololol

Darth Jello
your feet have lots of small bones in them that can break, your shins are one hard bone that when kicked, uses your entire body. the force of an average shin kick feels equal to an aluminum baseball bat.

AdventChild
MMA Jean Claude is....(Mixed Martial Artist)

Darth Jello
well, kickboxing is sorta based on Muay thai, but it does use feet. It also uses a lot of european boxing punch combos whereas muay thai's combos are mostly based on chinese boxing.

AdventChild
well, kickboxing is sorta based on Muay thai, but it does use feet. It also uses a lot of european boxing punch combos whereas muay thai's combos are mostly based on chinese boxing.
eek! love

You are soooooooooooo KooL! ahhh!! I'm a TKD martial artist! Muay Thai is so kool tho! YUP ur definetly one of my best friends!

Darth Jello
i'm just learning, i got to green belt in TKD, but quit cause my dick of an instructor kept trying to force me into a right handed stance.

Darth Jello
remember these wise words from my fencing instructor "I would rather fence a champion than a lefty any day".

Baylin
Muay Thai, those knee clinches can be bloody vicious!

KharmaDog
i'm just learning, i got to green belt in TKD, but quit cause my dick of an instructor kept trying to force me into a right handed stance.

It's funny (by that I mean stupid) how southpaws are looked down upon.

When i boxed I was able to box as a righty and as a southpaw, but my coach tried to keep the soouthpaw thing quiet. As you stated, people don't like to fight lefties because it throws them off their game and often makes a good fighter look bad.

I only went to the left on my last two fights.

ms_erupt
If I had my choice I'd take up Muay Thai but it's hard to come by around here, I have to settle with boxing.

@F1
Hagler, Hearns, Ali, Tzsyu, Chavez, Hatton, Duran. I havn't seen one Muay Thai fight or martial art fight that gave me the buzz these guys did.

So I say, Boxing!

Darth Jello
i have the advantage of being fully ambidextrous when it comes to fencing and martial arts, and nothing pisses of an instructor or an opponent more than when you suddenly reverse the grip on your shinai and give your opponent's liver a surprise hack.

HimoKun
I personally like Jujutsu, Judo, Kenjutsu, Bojutsu, Ninja Ken, Taijutsu, and then Intonjutsu (Very useful)

Jackie Malfoy
I took karate so I would have to say Muay Thai I hate boxing.JM

AdventChild
Originally posted by Jackie Malfoy
I took karate so I would have to say Muay Thai I hate boxing.JM

WE AGREE!! big grin i dislike boxing very much to!

@F1
Actually, there is less chance of brain damage in Muay Thai, because the fights don't last long, due to quick knock-outs, due to lack of foot and hand protection. Where as in boxing they can be beating the hell out of each other for 12 rounds, because the bigger gloves stop them from been knocked out straight away.

Darth Jello
Muay thai matches mostly center around wearing down an opponents thighs with shink kicks till they can no longer stand.

@F1
I saw a fight on TV, they were in a clinch, and kicking each others thighs with there heels. It didn't look like much but, after a while it would wear them down.

SaTsuJiN
Muay Thai.. you get the best of both worlds.. I would also vote other, for after you get good at thai.. a martial artist never truely learns everything big grin

dark1365
Other:

Hapkido
Mantis
Shaolin Fist
Jun Fan

@F1
I think you have to do a style that suits your physical ability, if your well built, then any kick or punch will do if you have 16st (224pounds) behind it. but if your not that big, then you have to be more sneaky, go for speed, and attack the vital organs. But, most importantly, you have to over-come your fear, otherwise, you will lose.

AdventChild
Originally posted by dark1365
Other:

Hapkido
Mantis
Shaolin Fist
Jun Fan

everything there is very good except the mantis....and i agree with F1

Darth Jello
I didn't find kung fu to be very effective at all after taking a few lessons. The best combo that i've heard of is Muay Thai/Lerdrit, Brazilian Ju-Jitsu, Thai-Jitsu. And for armed combat Ninja-ken, Sabre fencing and Kenjitsu.
In terms of weapons, all I've ever used so far are the Sabre, Shinai, and Katana. Ninjoto are shorter and straight, they aren't as powerful or well made though historically they could be tied to a rope and used for climbing or have shaken (throwing stars) hidden in the hilt. I heard the Okinawan weapons (all of which were once simple farm tools) are effective as well. These include Nunchaku (originally used in rice harvesting), Sai (originally used in planting), Kame (short sicles), and Tonfa (similar to police night sticks-originally used as a portable hitching post).

AdventChild
well i'm a user of the Bo Staff! On of the best weapons to use if you know how to use it!

Darth Jello
Sai are nice because they can break swords

fruits
u guys know the world famous boxer jack dempsey??? he boxed "back in the day." well im related to him, so UH!

AdventChild
never heard of him....sry.....Bo staffs are kool cuz you can do tons of tricks with them and the japanese weapon used for harvesting is called Kamas...i think...

Darth Jello
kame, plural

@F1
I havn't used any weapons but, I would like to learn the Tai Chi BroadSword. It only takes 5 mins to do but, its really a good workout.

dark1365
Originally posted by AdventChild
everything there is very good except the mantis....and i agree with F1
It's good when you know how to use it.

My weapon styles of choice would be:
Bo Staff
Mugai Ryu (katana)

@F1
It's good when you learn how to use it.

My weapon styles of choice would be:
Bo Staff
Mugai Ryu (katana)

That is why, I said learn stick out tongue

I have corrected your post eek!

Freaky Zeeky
My .45 is the best weapon.
cool

dark1365
Guns are for pussies! stick out tongue

@F1
I dare you, too call someone holding a gun at your head a pussy confused

whirlysplat
Extremely Cool, Dempsey was superb big grinOriginally posted by fruits
u guys know the world famous boxer jack dempsey??? he boxed "back in the day." well im related to him, so UH!

fruits
im not big on weapons, but im not big on hand to hand. im really not big on fighting, im the run away type. but when i DO have to fight, im a dirty fighter. ya know, low blows, pokes to the eyes, etc etc. i know i know, but im not one of those fighters with honor and unless someone says the rules to the fight, i figure i can do whatever i want

Joker1237
Jack Dempsey IS boxing, one of the greatness fighters of all time. Back than they relly did fight. Knocking teeth out and breaking bones.

He was heavyweight champ from 1919-1926. Lived from 1885-1983.

@F1
Originally posted by fruits
im not big on weapons, but im not big on hand to hand. im really not big on fighting, im the run away type. but when i DO have to fight, im a dirty fighter. ya know, low blows, pokes to the eyes, etc etc. i know i know, but im not one of those fighters with honor and unless someone says the rules to the fight, i figure i can do whatever i want

Whatever works wink

I don't think there was a round system then, just kept fighting until someone dropped. Also probably had more fights in one year, than fighters to day have in a life time.

Freaky Zeeky
Guns are for pussies! stick out tongue

confused

Joker1237
Yeah back in thsos days, in the early 1900's Fighters may fight 20 times a year.

And most fights were fights to the finshing. The Jack Johnson vs Jim Jeffies fight was sch for 45 rounds. It only lasted 15 though winninger by ko Johnson.

And Joe Gans vs Battling Nelson went 42 BLOODY rounds. I dont see any fighter today doing that.

AdventChild
Guns are for cowards!If he's a real man then he will fight and not rely on some cheap shot winning move..sry fruits but i'm a girl and i think i can take you on only cause you are a fighter with out pride honor and dignity it seems like...and to get owned by a chick is pretty sad.....Guns are for cowards...

Darth Jello
Bows are better, I can't shoot a right-haded bow well...

AdventChild
compound bows are pretty powerful!

AdventChild
muay thai would still win!

dark1365
compound bows are pretty powerful!
The specc'ed Cho Ko Nu bows whip....with their arrow clips and all. You can fire eight at one time.

AdventChild
you seem to know alot about bows!

dark1365
you seem to know alot about bows!
We studied archery in Phys Ed. How are you, hun? hug

Darth Jello
we did too, the coach ran on to the range without yelling stop or waiting for us to fire and i almost shot him in the ass.

AdventChild
We studied archery in Phys Ed. How are you, hun? hug
i'm great babe! pm me next time though......

Should have shot 2 arrows..One for each butt cheek~

dark1365
Duck shoot was so fun, we cut a styrofoam duck, the teacher pulled it around, and whoever hit it got a free pop.

I hit it. Twice.

AdventChild
*Sigh* this thread is pretty much dead...

dark1365
Not as long as I use it to talk to you. happy

AdventChild
lol how sweet!

dark1365
Thank you. embarrasment

kyllacam
i think that boxing is better but muay thai is a lethal sport and could kill someone but then again who couldnt kill someone lol but yea

Joker1237
lots of boxers have died in the ring

Darth Jello
it's not really a contest, nor should it be. Muay Thai is lethal because it's the most lethal martial art. It also has one of the most rigerous training regimens so someone who doesn't want that kind of taxation on his body or that big of a risk of physical injury should do boxing. Muay Thai is faster than boxing but it's nowhere near as fast as other martial arts because it focuses more on power than speed. This is especially true since all the kicking is done with the knees and shins, not the feet. As for wether a boxer could beat a thai boxer, it all depends on the skill level. Muay thai uses chinese boxing combos and (in my courses at least) you are trained to be completely ambidestrous with a stance that can be described as "opening a table" with both fists held up straight in front of the face. This gives the advantage of unpredictability. Furthermore, there is more of an emphasis on footwork and evading attacks since many of the kicks and elbows are powerful to the point of rendering blocking pretty useless (That's why i'm seeing a chiropracter for dislocation in the neck, jaw, coccyx, and pelvis, along with some jawline nerve trauma).

AdventChild
You poor darth Jello...So it's pretty much it...Muay Thai is Officially better...

dark1365
Yeah, that decided it more than anything. no expression

CosmicSurfer
Thai boxers can't punch at all. They punch like girls.

A good boxer with an excellent reach advantage would pick a Thai boxer apart.

Inspectah Deck
Very knowledgeable of the Martial arts you are..... eek!

Yoda eek!

Scoobless
Originally posted by CosmicSurfer
Thai boxers can't punch at all. They punch like girls.

A good boxer with an excellent reach advantage would pick a Thai boxer apart.

pffft.... even the girl Thai boxers don't punch like girls

roll eyes (sarcastic)

StyleTime
Uhh...why is everyone jumping on Muay Thai like it is the ultimate style.
Boxers have beaten Muay Thai artists before. Watch the fight between Mighty Mo(Boxing) and Remy Bonjasky(MT)

Boxing is just as respected in competition as Muay Thai is. Boxing is also regarded as the MOST EFFECTIVE punching style. ALL pro fighters cross train boxing to some extent. The same is not true for Muay Thai on the other hand. If anything, boxing is actually more essential than Muay Thai is by far.

I believe, as actual fights have shown, that boxing is equal to Muay Thai. It just depends on how you like to fight.

Why is there no "equal" option on the poll?

CosmicSurfer
Originally posted by Scoobless
pffft.... even the girl Thai boxers don't punch like girls

roll eyes (sarcastic)

Sure they do. Unless they crosstrained in boxing.

Truth is, the Thais have no punching skills in their arsenal. They favor the elbow. But as soon as muay thai boxers from Europe started beating thier asses with their superior boxing skills, the thais finally learned to incorporate boxing into their muay thai.

In Thailand there are now many boxing schools. Nowadays the thais don't even use thier original stance anymore. More often they use a boxing stance such as the southpaw.

CosmicSurfer
Originally posted by StyleTime
Uhh...why is everyone jumping on Muay Thai like it is the ultimate style.
Boxers have beaten Muay Thai artists before. Watch the fight between Mighty Mo(Boxing) and Remy Bonjasky(MT)

Boxing is just as respected in competition as Muay Thai is. Boxing is also regarded as the MOST EFFECTIVE punching style. ALL pro fighters cross train boxing to some extent. The same is not true for Muay Thai on the other hand. If anything, boxing is actually more essential than Muay Thai is by far.

I believe, as actual fights have shown, that boxing is equal to Muay Thai. It just depends on how you like to fight.

Why is there no "equal" option on the poll?

I got news for you, Kaoklai knocked out Mighty Mo with a jumping thai roundhouse kick.

And I totally agree with what your saying about boxing.

StyleTime
Originally posted by CosmicSurfer
I got news for you, Kaoklai knocked out Mighty Mo with a jumping thai roundhouse kick.

And I totally agree with what your saying about boxing.
True, but my point still stands. I never really cared for Mo anyway lol.

Darth Jello
actually the end all beat all is the ancient form known as Muay Boran, but it's forbidden.

CosmicSurfer
actually the end all beat all is the ancient form known as Muay Boran, but it's forbidden.

Absolutely wrong.

The real reason why Muay Boran is not used is because the techniques within this art is not practical, ineffecient, and is very hard to pull off. The Thais knew this, so they came up with Muay Thai in the early 20th century.

So in reality, Muay Thai > Muay Boran.

Muay Boran is nothing more than a rehash of ancient techniques so it can be preserved. If you want to be a martial arts purist, study Muay Boran. If you want to be a fighter, study Muay Thai.

Darth Jello
muay boran is muay thai, the difference is that there are several strikes and techniques not included in muay thai because they are too dangerous. mostly they are very hard blows directed at pressure points.

StyleTime
If noone can practice these "deadly pressure point strikes" then there is no way of knowing that they work. Pressure point strikes are NOT illegal in competition, so why aren't more people doing Muay Boran, Mantis, Snake, etc.........They don't work.

When people say an art is "too deadly", it's really just a cop out because the practitioners don't want to admit it doesn't work.

Darth Jello
because very few masters outside of thailand are willing to teach them. I believe that two schools opened in Europe and both were shut down after several deadly confrontations nearby.

CosmicSurfer
because very few masters outside of thailand are willing to teach them. I believe that two schools opened in Europe and both were shut down after several deadly confrontations nearby.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. laughing

yeah right. roll eyes (sarcastic)

AdventChild
wow! who decided to bring this thread back to life?....oh comic surfer...

StyleTime
I am glad he did. We need to put an end to this "Muay Thai is the ultimate style" mantra in this thread.

Darth Jello
meh, i'm a bit biased cuz i've done some different stuff and muay thai is by far the most effective and my fave.

Sadako of Girth
I have boxed and was taught the Thai techniques (although I ain't fluid with roundhouse and axe kicks and stuff) but I have my fast straight kicks with both leading and back legs down...
And the elbows/knees/backfist combos up close= Doom for opponents.

Devastating stuff. It was a real equaliser for someone like myself who is not the weightiest guy in the world...
I'll be grateful for what I have learned/practiced/used 'til the day I die..
I cant recommend an amalgamation of both styles enough...

Darth Jello
i like driving opponents crazy, i'm left handed so i just reverse any of the punch combos they teach us and follow it with three shin kicks to the inner thigh and a knee to the kidney. and if the guy's still up, an elbow to the face usually ends things.

Darth Jello
the only sucky part is that it leaves you more susceptable to should locks and leg grabs

soleran30
Well since I have been beat up by a boxer and muy tai I think the tai was more efficient......

Sadako of Girth
LOL Soleran30 laughing

Yep...Southpaws have always been tricky for orthadox fighters...
The leading legs often tangle even in 'conventional' boxing and like you say the issues with the punches/kicks/defense do make it interesting...

makavely
No one martial art is superior to all others. Just like the most convincing theologians study a mixture of religions, the most effective martial artist must study a mixture of martial arts.

I started boxing when I was 14, then added Muay Thai when I was 16, so I definitely agree that Muay Thai becomes much more effective when you can punch, since a punch is, in general, a faster attack than a kick, and since I'm 6'1", it's got a long reach.

But, since joining the Army and getting a good job within that organization (...), I've come to realize that Krav Maga is probably the best 'art'. I use quotes because it's not an exact form (like say... karate), but that's one of its greatest strengths. It incorporates the elbow/shin/knee strikes of muay thai, as well as the grappling element, with judo-style throws, aikido-style joint locks, and other really debilitating maneuvers that can end fights pretty quickly (I like the lunging elbow to the sternum...).

So if you're looking for pure lethality, I'd go with krav maga. It's really good for me, because when I box, I'm a righty, but in a traditional, 'hands-up' muay thai stance, I'm a southpaw. Since either stance works with krav maga, it's easy to adapt to whatever combat situation I find myself in.

In other words, I vote 'other', lol.

Darth Jello
pure lethality-
Look up something called Muay Boran

ðµhµl gê†ñåh
muay thai, u should all go out and buy ung bok thai fighter is a pretty cool movie, and he be good at da jumping and kicking stuff.

Arachnoidfreak
Muay Tai

Ontop of their incredible fighting training, it trains you to tolerate pain to in insande level. I've seen a man kick a brick wall with his shin and not even flinch.

grey fox
Boxing is refined brawling with no kicks . Muay Thai is a crazy martial art's and their masters make Lee and Norris look like idiots.

Muay Thai all the way....

ðµhµl gê†ñåh
Originally posted by Arachnoidfreak
Muay Tai

Ontop of their incredible fighting training, it trains you to tolerate pain to in insande level. I've seen a man kick a brick wall with his shin and not even flinch.

ive seen a man kick his shin into another mans shin and snap it in half.
it was truly a beautiful sight, he had no idea what happened till he tried to take a step then........ T.T "AHH AHHHHHHH AHHHHHHHHHH, OH GOD ITS 'faints,"

me watching vid:
>.< oooo bet that tickled.

makavely
He didn't faint, he just fell down and started gently punching the mat while his broken leg flopped around like a fish.

Assuming you're talking about that video where the white (maybe latino) kickboxer launches a leg kick at the big black guy, the black guy raises his leg to block, and the white(ish) dude's shin snaps like a twig.

I'd give a link, but the forum thinks I'm spamming. Let's try it this way...

joeskopec
com
/
wobble
wmv

Arachnoidfreak
Originally posted by grey fox
Boxing is refined brawling with no kicks . Muay Thai is a crazy martial art's and their masters make Lee and Norris look like idiots.

Muay Thai all the way....

I wouldn't go as far as to say Muay Thai masters make Bruce lee look like an idiot, consideringg he stole some of their moves to complete his own martial art, probably the most complete martial art out there, Jeet Kune Do

Thanos_6383
Muay Thai.....Sure wouldn't want to get kicked by them guys

Da preacher
Boxing.

DoomedPoop
go for vale tudo
muay thai uses punches kicks elbows and knees. (striker style only)
vale tudo uses grapplin jujitsu like technique along with 8 strikes (2 hands 2feet 2elbows and 2knees)

DoomedPoop
edit wrong button

Darth Jello
you are incorrect. Muay Thai does feature several shoulder and head locks and some of it's related styles such as Muay Boran and LerDrit also use palms and pressure points.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.