Coincidence?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

R355UR3CT
I'm sure most of us have said or thought sometime in our life, "What a Coincidence!". What is a Coincidence? is it just an eventual statistical probablity or is there a more profound reason or meaning behind them, or why they occur?

Coincidences, what's up with that?

debbiejo
Coincidences are the Synchronises that happen in life to show us if we are on the right path or not.

Storm
A coincidence occurs when unexpected parallels can be drawn from two or more events. In the popular sense it is used to describe events which are of low probability.

calvinNhobbes
Hey resurrect I just saw this thread and read both your question and Debbie's posts. So to give soemthing that both of you can use I believe that a book called "There Are No Accidents" may give you one viewpoint that is interesting to pursue. Debbie, you should find this interesting because it follows very closely what you posted. The book is by Robert H Hopcke. I would think of Coincidences as a combination of intercepting factors that leave a key impression on your personal world which can be evaluated for the importance you see in them. It is through this evaluation that we are allowed a second chance in many cases to change and grow.

Big Evil
I believe in coicedences AND fate.

For instance:

It was a quincidence I was going to call someone and pickup the phone just as they called.

Again:

It is FATE that I remain a lonely, pissed off, little bastard..

debbiejo

debbiejo
Originally posted by debbiejo
Thanks U for info on the book...I love reading.

I believe coincidences are much more then what we believe them to be and should be followed.

You liked the book??? Tell more.

peterKSL
Coincidence only happens, if one didn't predict that event from happening...

calvinNhobbes
Hey debbie Sorry I took awhile to get back to you on the book. The book I referenced earlier is pieced together by the authors personal experiences and those of other people. Plus he adds his psychological views which are based on his Jungian background. Right now I am half way through the book but I am halfway through three different books so I don't know when I will finish it. The funny thing about this book is that I was not even looking for this book when I bought it. I saw it laying on a table at Barnes N Nobles and the title caught my eye.

debbiejo
Sounds like a coincidence. It was meant to be.

I have a small pile of books myself.

Jung has interesting ideas.

calvinNhobbes
Yes he does. I especially like his concept of universal archetypes. I can see much of this when I view the commonalities between different religions. Even though the gods are different many of the parables, fables, scripts hold similar figures such as the tree of knowledge and the wise old nomad. These commonalities show the archetypes popping up all over. If knowledge is passed down from one generation to the next through inherent connections besides media then what would become of these archetypes as the information age gains in volume and absorption? An interesting question to ponder but one I am unable to tackle at this time. Perhaps you have a viewpoint to this.

debbiejo
Maybe I should get that book...sounds really interesting...Jung has some wonderful dream symbolism that can be applied universally to ones life, and When I started looking at it this way, looking at my dreams that is, I'm a very vivid dreamer, I can get alot of information which totally amazes me. With Synchronises and dreams and even metaphysics kind of stuff, including quantum things...It seems that there is some kind of intelligence influencing things...Have you seen this?

calvinNhobbes
Well I am not quite sure in what way you mean "intelligence". I often view my dreams as a subconscious puzzle that can be interpreted better through lucid dreaming and personal symbolism development. As for Jung's archetypes I have to admit I have not tried to look for them. That is so strange now that I think of it. I did dream I was Jesus Christ once but I was up to no good in my dream. You know I'll have be more aware next time. I have not been able to do lucid dreaming for awhile, kind of got out ot practice. When or if I do notice archetypes in my dreams I am guessing you would want to know if those archetypes are a type of influence from the collective conscious of humanity past and present?

debbiejo
It seems according to Jung that many of the symbolisms are not unique at all.....Jesus Christ huh???? Funny you should mention it..I had my only dream that had Jesus in it last week...Now listen to this and I did look it up in a very good dream book and there is also a great site www.dreammoods.com. In my dream I was going to fight in an arena kind of thing. It was going to be my turn to battle a giant, and people kept saying don't worry Jesus is coming and he'll save you...But he wasn't coming and I had to get suited up (girl skimmpy costume, don't know where that came from), I through a spear and it bounced off him and it appeared to turn into a small dull wooden spear. The giant turned and and said, if you lose, then you're ours. All of a sudden I noticed that he was wearing a triangle kinda like the once on star-trek. Well Jesus walked in and just stood there and watched the show. He didn't seem to mine what was going on..Well, I lost and wasn't scared but went with them...In the symbolism that I looked up..It said of the symbols...Jesus, the triangle, the giant battle...was all true of what was going on in my life...Dreaming of Jesus is wanting to obtain spirituality, and triangle or also called a trine, also symbolizes spirituality, god, and Gemini (I'm a Gemini). The giant was a big obstacle I was trying to tear down. In my own life I was seeking real spiritual knowledge in a new direction that didn't include the faith I was raised in. I was raised to war against this different view (the giant), but the giant was true spirituality, and I ended up going with him(in real life I have also made that choice.

For instance if you dream of a vampire or zombie then it means that something in your life is sucking you dry or draining you...These seem to be common symbols people have...It's quite interesting...

I know that's all off topic, and your book sounds so interesting cause part of my new beliefs are that these synchronises that happen are also ways were are communicated with, though is it by our subconscious, by a higher intelligence...I don't know...what does your book say.

debbiejo
Also I have found coincidences when I look for instance when I quit smoking I had bought some little oracle cards and pulled one..It said something to the affect that you have the power to make a change. Also the same day a neighbor came over that I haven't seen in about 6 months...She asked me out of the blue if I had quit smoking and told me about her bought with lung cancer, which she survived. Later on a pamphlet fell on the floor from a holistic retreat that had a many programs on health that I attended. One program was on smoking...And that's what first came to my mind. Now this all happened in one day...Coincidence???? I don't think so...I think there is an intellegence involved here...Something invisible.

calvinNhobbes
Wow. A lot of info there. I haven't finished the book yet so I can't get you an overall viewpoint of the book but I did find out last night that I have another book written by the same author. I must have picked it up years ago when I was a psych major. That is probably why the second book caught my eye, I recognised the name subconsciously. The first book is called Persona and it is about Jung's masks,personas, and archetypes. Back to the book in question though. It pretty much states that the synchronicities are guideposts for making choices in our lives and that if we learn to interpret their importance to us then we can identify them better and direct our lives a little better accordingly. How you recognize these and how you interpret them vary from individual to individual such as in dreams. See how all this ties in. Pretty neat huh? Anyway if you would like to talk more about this IM me sometime. You sound very interesting plus I don't want to take this post too far off track but I guess we have stayed on topic relatively well so far. Waiting for you next post Cya.

Magee
Originally posted by debbiejo
Also I have found coincidences when I look for instance when I quit smoking I had bought some little oracle cards and pulled one..It said something to the affect that you have the power to make a change. Also the same day a neighbor came over that I haven't seen in about 6 months...She asked me out of the blue if I had quit smoking and told me about her bought with lung cancer, which she survived. Later on a pamphlet fell on the floor from a holistic retreat that had a many programs on health that I attended. One program was on smoking...And that's what first came to my mind. Now this all happened in one day...Coincidence???? I don't think so...I think there is an intellegence involved here...Something invisible. You keep mentioning that there may be an intelligence involved. From reading many of your other posts I gather that you are religous, which comes as no surprise. I would never think of such a thing as higher intelligence when talking about this subject. I figure the reason you do is because you follow a religion...

debbiejo
Originally posted by Magee
You keep mentioning that there may be an intelligence involved. From reading many of your other posts I gather that you are religous, which comes as no surprise. I would never think of such a thing as higher intelligence when talking about this subject. I figure the reason you do is because you follow a religion...

Not really a religion, but a connection with something. You can call it God. But even Science in the Quantum, wave particle field area has noted that there is something behind this...Something.

debbiejo
Originally posted by calvinNhobbes
Wow. A lot of info there. I haven't finished the book yet so I can't get you an overall viewpoint of the book but I did find out last night that I have another book written by the same author. I must have picked it up years ago when I was a psych major. That is probably why the second book caught my eye, I recognised the name subconsciously. The first book is called Persona and it is about Jung's masks,personas, and archetypes. Back to the book in question though. It pretty much states that the synchronises are guideposts for making choices in our lives and that if we learn to interpret their importance to us then we can identify them better and direct our lives a little better accordingly. How you recognize these and how you interpret them vary from individual to individual such as in dreams. See how all this ties in. Pretty neat huh? Anyway if you would like to talk more about this IM me sometime. You sound very interesting plus I don't want to take this post too far off track but I guess we have stayed on topic relatively well so far. Waiting for you next post Cya.

I am reading the Celestine Prophecy that I picked up from the library a few weeks ago. It also talks quite a bit on this subject. I need to finish it. I have a pile of books I'm trying to get through at the same time that also has sparked my interest and seems to relate to this field...This subject seems to border on metaphysics it seems, and if so, it would tie into science.

When you mention synchronises are guideposts you have to wonder who is doing the guiding or leading...Is it us unconsciously, or is it our higher self as many say it is...Or is it our spirit that has a connection to God? Looking at synchronises as a guide almost makes it sound like we have a spirit guide/angel that is helping us through this life to make life choices..

calvinNhobbes
H.S.

I read that book plus the follow up to it!!! I was going to suggest you read it too. What a coincidence huh? LOL The story isn't the greatest but the concepts and thoughts introduced in it are very interesting and can be applied to real life. Just so you know the second book is called "The Tenth Insight".

debbiejo
I'll have to see if the library has it...I've been spending tooooo much on books lately.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.