Why didn't R2 remeber Yoda on Dagobah in ESB???

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bishop X
I know C3PO's memory got erased when Bail Organa says "Erase the Protocol droid's memory", (wow, that was redundant). But why didn't R2 remember the green dude?

Darth_Otaku
Cuz GL just overlooked it?Other than that i can't find a solution...

Fishy
Maybe he did... There are some awkward silences between the two in ESB... When Luke goes into that cave or whatever it is for instance

The Ones
sorry my memory is a little off, when did R2 meet yoda?

The Biker Scout
nobody listens to R2...thats the problem

green dude
R2 i dodn't think met Yoda only in episode II attack of the clones he might of saw him during fight but he was busy helping C-3-PO get his head back to his body. laughing

But i don't think they actaully were introduced poor robots left out of every thing. stick out tongue

putin
Originally posted by Bishop X
I know C3PO's memory got erased when Bail Organa says "Erase the Protocol droid's memory", (wow, that was redundant). But why didn't R2 remember the green dude?

did he really say that? confused

s**t, i miss that

matreid
Beecause Yoda is nearly 900 years old and he has bigger problems than trying to remember some blue and white droid he had seen before. R2 is a droid that hasnt viewed that guy for over 20 years.

darth eddie
Dont R-2 and C3P0 have memory wipes at the end of ROTS?

The Biker Scout
Just threep

maboy
come on R2 he doesnt have the need to meet yoda to have him in his memory banks. He is Yoda, the leader of the jedi council, everybody knows him. Its like GL, just a few people people have met him, but everybody knows him, even have a few pics of him in his computer. All im sayin is that artoo should have at least recognize Yoda, because he knows what he looks like.

maboy
just 3p0 has his memory erased, not R2

maboy
Originally posted by matreid
Beecause Yoda is nearly 900 years old and he has bigger problems than trying to remember some blue and white droid he had seen before. R2 is a droid that hasnt viewed that guy for over 20 years.

But even that, R2 would have thought something like "DAGOBAH?!! isnt that the system where we drop yoda 20 years ago?, i wonder if he is still there"

mike_oxbig
how would you expect r2 to react anyway. hes not gonna be like 'oh my god yoda its really you hows life been on this shithole?' hes a stupid little droid for gods sake

maboy
thats true maybe I exagerated a bit, but still he would have checked his memory and recall the details about dagobah, thus not start picking on yoda and maybe, giving an up to date briefing to yoda, i dont know, im speculating a lot here so please bear with me

NoFate007
The reason that R2 did not have a memory wipe was because he can be trusted. Would you really expect a droid that was told to keep tons of secrets to just spill everything once Luke mentioned Dagobah? R2 never tells Luke anything on screen, but time passes between cinema time, remember? Who's to say the time between the first Yoda scene and the second, R2 doesn't mention anything?

maboy
i hope they explain in the tv series why R2 can fly in EPII and III, and he doesnt take advantage of this ability to avoid falling to the lake in dagobah and not being swallowed by some creature which spits him out 15 meters away

maboy
Originally posted by NoFate007
The reason that R2 did not have a memory wipe was because he can be trusted. Would you really expect a droid that was told to keep tons of secrets to just spill everything once Luke mentioned Dagobah? R2 never tells Luke anything on screen, but time passes between cinema time, remember? Who's to say the time between the first Yoda scene and the second, R2 doesn't mention anything?

true true

Captain REX
The television series would just tell you that it's because Episode V was made in 1980. big grin

Wickerman
Originally posted by maboy
i hope they explain in the tv series why R2 can fly in EPII and III, and he doesnt take advantage of this ability to avoid falling to the lake in dagobah and not being swallowed by some creature which spits him out 15 meters away

In 20 years, some of his machinery might not be functioning properly anymore (that's the most logical thing i can come up with)

~wickerman~

Delta 62
Well first off..because they DIDN'T drop Yoda off. He chose his exile himself and arrived in one of those escape pod things he left Kashyyyk on. Only Obi knows where he went. And do we actually know Artoo knew who Yoda was by word of mouth? There was no way Luke or Yoda could've known what Artoo was saying on Dagobah, he wasn't plugged into a translator. It's one of the great mysteries of the world why Artoo chose to remain silent on EVERYTHING.

gentmax
First of all, I've always beleived that R2 is aware of a larger plan. Even back in 1980 I could see that. But, just for the sake of argument, I think I've seen somewhere that when Vader hit him in the trench of DS1, didn't his memory get wiped?

JediMasterRetro
I just think its becuase he never actutually Master Yoda untill Episode V and althought he had heard of him hedidn tregonise and the reason R2 cant fly i that is the specail effects wern good enought in 1980 and for the story well his just wasted over 20-40 years

adele2k5
artoo knows everything and understands everything thats why he has never told luke about vader being anakin he was trusted thats why he never had his memory wiped in the film esp3 bail said have the protocals droid memory wiped artoo is an astro droid. c3po didnt know when to shut up.

Ominous
Well Luke and Anakin seem to be the only ones who were close w/ their droids, besides countless droids in the galaxy probably w/ same numbers why would the Jedi necessarily recognise them or even care. Yoda probably doesnt even know that was Anakins droid, the droids arent organic, so I dont think they pay them much mind.

But Luke doesnt tell him were going to Dagobah to see Yoda, i think he just says were going to Dagobah. Once there maybe R2 does put it together but whats he gonna say, in the first five minutes of meeting him Luke dont got translater and Yoda starts to beat him, so I'm thinkin at this point whats R2 realy gonna tell him? Oh yeah thats the Jedi master from long ago, well Luke already knows that in the house.

As far as Vader, whats to say that R2 ever knew Anakin survived and became Darth Vader, I dont think he ever heard Anakin called Darth Vader, So he shouldnt know that.

Lazerlike42
I don't think R2 ever actually saw Yoda at any time during the PT

Darth Bong
Even if R2 did recognize him, there is no telling what R2 may have been saying at some points in ESB. Sometimes he just seems to be talking to himself. Maybe he was even trying to make conversation with Yoda. smokin'

DARTH STEVIOUS
Why dose r2 d2 belong to obi wan on a new hope i thought was captian antillies robot he says he is the propety of an obi wan and if he talk to c3po why dose he not tell c3po every thing about what happend before he might have let some thing slip why was his memory not wiped.

spekdah
how do we know there aint a sh*tload of dudes in the Starwars Universe called YODA??

If you think about it, R2's protocal might mean he is only ever allowed to serve one master at a time therefor he automatically erases anyone form his memory that he holds ablsolulty no loyalty too i.e. eveyone except Luke in Ep 4 - 6 and queen in Ep1 and Anakin in Ep2-3.

He holds no loyalty what-so-ever to Yoda so he would never have to remember him, only ever remember his master of that time.

ShadowKing
howzabout the fact that R2 fights with Yoda over Luke's flashlight....wouldn't R2 know better than to mess with THE MOST POWERFUL JEDI MASTER?

JKozzy
Originally posted by putin
did he really say that? confused

s**t, i miss that Wow, uh, did you see the movie?

bILLYgOAT
sigh

Ominous
OMG people, why do i bother, beer blink beer Happy Dance

Swanky-Tuna
Originally posted by Darth Bong
Even if R2 did recognize him, there is no telling what R2 may have been saying at some points in ESB. Sometimes he just seems to be talking to himself. Maybe he was even trying to make conversation with Yoda. smokin'
That's what I was thinking. Who's going to know what he's saying?

Bombadil
Maybe R2 did remember Yoda....and Luke and Yoda just could not understand what he was saying

tlbauerle
Y'know if you watch the OT keeping in mind that R2 knows what's going on...it's kind of funny.

His reaction to realizing that Ben Kenobi is Obi-Wan is pretty priceless.

darth tyrant
maybe r2 said something about yoda but luke didnt care?

CurchDenas
Has anyone thought about the the fact that R2 had alot of adventures between E3 and E4. His memory could have been wiped at least once during that time period not seen in the movies. Plus, after a certain amount of time, isn't it possible that his procesor dumps information. You have to remember at the time of E5, Artoo is nearly a 30 year old droid.

Also. in E4 the little droid was shot in the head which could have erased some data. Then in E5 he was swallowed and spit out by the bog beast after they crashed on dagobah, which could also have screwed up some of his circuits.

IMHO, whether he remembered anyone or not, I think Artoo knows how to keep his mouth shut. Droids are like pens. Some of them looks exactly alike, but it is NOT the SAME pen. I believe that is why most people don't look at the him and say, "R2-D2, is that you?" However, if Artoo keeps his mouth shut he doesn't run the risk of getting himself blasted. Plus if people knows that he knows alot, he may have to give a freakin' dissertaion about everyone he remembers.

Heck, I have been out of HS for 20 years and some of the people I hung with and things I did are fuzzy to me.

~JP~
Dude seriously? Bumping a 5 year old thread is NOT the way to begin your time at KMC. laughing out loud

CurchDenas
OK, here's the thing...I don't care how old the thread is, I wanted to share my opinion. BTW, if this is such and old thread, what are you doing reading it?

Sith Master X
Not everyone realizes it at first until they click the thread and start reading it.

Nothing wrong with sharing your opinion...it's just weird when something has been dead for 5 years....

queeq
Like staring at a corpse.

roughrider
Originally posted by Delta 62
Well first off..because they DIDN'T drop Yoda off. He chose his exile himself and arrived in one of those escape pod things he left Kashyyyk on. Only Obi knows where he went. And do we actually know Artoo knew who Yoda was by word of mouth? There was no way Luke or Yoda could've known what Artoo was saying on Dagobah, he wasn't plugged into a translator. It's one of the great mysteries of the world why Artoo chose to remain silent on EVERYTHING.

There's an interesting article on Cracked.com - a fan hypothesis that both R2 & Chewbacca are both spies for the Rebellion movement, and don't share information. It's 'Films Improved by fan theories.'

queeq
EU

coolmovies
plot holes

sweersa
Originally posted by queeq
EU

Fan fiction, so even worse.

queeq
Quite.

sweersa
Of course.

Darth Scorpius
Because there are other members of his species, like Yaddle, who was in EPI

InfernoJG95
ummmm yeah i only saw yaddle and yoda and as i qoute from a animation from you tube "and no others" and i dont think R2 met yoda

InfernoJG95
before episode V

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.