Grendel (Darkhorse) v Woverine

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

whirlysplat
01: What is Grendel?

ANSWER: Grendel is a comic created by Matt Wagner. Under the
Grendel title, Wagner has published some 60 odd stories about the
character. The book is highly experimental in terms of story-
telling, but under Wagner's guidance has still managed to maintain
a consistent quality. Wagner, a somewhat sporadic creator, has
done his most work with the Grendel character to date.
Currently the series is continuing under the banner "Grendel Tales"
with little to no direct involvement by Wagner. However several
Wagner reprints have been issued by Dark Horse, and most feature
new Wagner covers.
There was a Grendel in Beowulf - the book. In the book
Grendel (descendant of Cain, son of Dam) was a beast (like Argent),
and the book doesn't provide much of a description with the expection
of his sharp claws. Basically, there was this tower built to honor
a hero called Herot. Grendel stormed into Herot every now and then,
snatching up men and killing them (sometimes 30 men at a time).
He crushed the men and drank their blood (vampire). Consequently,
Herot was abandoned for 12 years until Beowulf came along and brawled
it out with Grendel. Beowulf won.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

02: Who is Grendel?

ANSWER: This is a far more difficult question to answer than
01, for there have been MANY Grendels throughout the history of the
title (see 03). But all the Grendels to date have at least two
things in common:

1) All the Grendels have worn the same mask, or a variation of
thereof. The mask is all black with two large white oval eyes, and
a small white circle over the nose. Running perpendicular through
the ovals are two spear shapes which run the height of a head. The
mask is generally attached via a set of straps, tied at the base
of the skull. Later versions of the mask have dropped the circle,
relying far more on the oval/spear shape displayed over top the
wearer's eyes.

2) All of the Grendels have been refereed to by Wagner as "The
Spirit of Aggression." Despite some argument as to whether this
applies to the current situation of a Grendel in the current
storyline, to date all Grendels have certainly been portrayed as
aggressive people.

In addition, the majority of the Grendels to date have used a
weapon refereed to as a "Fork". The weapon appears as a staff,
with twin parallel blades perched upon one end. Many variations of
the weapon have appeared in the title.

For those of you who are not familiar with Grendel, here is a short description of the character(s):

There have been MANY Grendels throughout the history of the title. But all the Grendels to date have at least two things in common:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.hytti.uku.fi/~vaisala/GRENDEL/faqgrend.htm

http://www.geocities.com/wmnoe/grendel.html

http://www.grendel.org/grendel/

Its the Grendel from "Warchild" not the classic Hunter Rose

Warner Bros. Pictures-based John Wells Prods. has optioned the graphic novel "Grendel" from its creator, Matt Wagner, in association with Dark Horse Entertainment and Arsenal Entertainment. Scribe Carl Lund is attached to adapt the project through his blind script deal with JWP. An award-winning comic creation, "Grendel" spans several decades with its story encompassing various generations of characters. Lund's script will focus on the story line of Christine Spar, the adopted granddaughter of the notoriously sadistic yet rich and graceful Hunter Rose -- aka the original Grendel. Spar was the focus of Wagner's book "Grendel: Devil's Legacy."

leonidas
grendel rox!! in a x-over, he outthought bats pretty badly. i think given some prep he could definitely take wolvie out, but if it came down to straight h2h i don't think he's got enough whirly. so nhealing factor that i'm aware of or can remember and if he does have h2h advantage, it wouldn't be a big enough advantage.

i posted a grendel thread once, and got no responses. he is a great character though.

whirlysplat
Originally posted by leonidas
grendel rox!! in a x-over, he outthought bats pretty badly. i think given some prep he could definitely take wolvie out, but if it came down to straight h2h i don't think he's got enough whirly. so nhealing factor that i'm aware of or can remember and if he does have h2h advantage, it wouldn't be a big enough advantage.

i posted a grendel thread once, and got no responses. he is a great character though.

It such a shame Leo this forum really is very limited, most of the guys on here are cool, but: they are only really interested in recent "cosmic" marvel. I think prep time is probably Grendels only hope, however the Warchild one was an awesome fighting machine.

The need to expand there horizons to "better quality" more original comics. I mean I like some Marvel but most of it is so familiar I feel like I am reading the same thing over and over these days. So little artwork is quirky inMarvel now as well its mostly very generic, no ditkoesque stuff. Its all very sad.

long pig
Grendal is a badass.
Prep time is needed though.
I always wanted to see a Grendal/slade fight.

I spent an arm and a leg buying orginal grendal comics! jesus, theyre expensive!

whirlysplat
Originally posted by long pig
Grendal is a badass.
Prep time is needed though.
I always wanted to see a Grendal/slade fight.

I spent an arm and a leg buying orginal grendal comics! jesus, theyre expensive!

good choice longpig, I bought them as they came out big grin

Make the thread man only about three of us will post sadly sad

Wanderer259
I don't know a whole lot about Grendel, but I've always wanted to read it. I only post in threads where I feel I know what I'm talking about or whichever ones interest me, so I can't say much.

If Grendel is Slade-level thinking, however, I'd say he's got a chance.

whirlysplat
Originally posted by Wanderer259
I don't know a whole lot about Grendel, but I've always wanted to read it. I only post in threads where I feel I know what I'm talking about or whichever ones interest me, so I can't say much.

If Grendel is Slade-level thinking, however, I'd say he's got a chance.

They are all in trade paperback, treat yourself sometime big grin

leonidas
<<It such a shame Leo this forum really is very limited, most of the guys on here are cool, but: they are only really interested in recent "cosmic" marvel. I think prep time is probably Grendels only hope, however the Warchild one was an awesome fighting machine.

The need to expand there horizons to "better quality" more original comics. I mean I like some Marvel but most of it is so familiar I feel like I am reading the same thing over and over these days. So little artwork is quirky inMarvel now as well its mostly very generic, no ditkoesque stuff. Its all very sad.>>

you are very correct in many regards in this post, whirly. i was surprised at the marvel bias i found when i first joined, and threads about characters outside marvel or dc rarely get a large number of posts. even most marvel v dc posts go marvel's way. and you're right too regarding the apparent lack of historical knowledge, (and in some cases the lack of respect) for the classic heroes. what's new is what's cool. and often times it IS too bad. one good thing though about having some knowledge that goes back beyond yesterday, is that we can reference things a lot of others can't in debates! course, then you just get the old . . . 'well that was before so-and-so was upgraded, so it doesn't mean anything . . '

blahblahblah . . .

oh well, let's consider it our little job to educate and to make certain the old schoolers get the respect they deserve!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.