Religious People Described as Moral Retards (copied from another forum)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

whirlysplat
Religious People Described as Moral Retards

Yeah, figured that title would get your attention.

A professor from Brooklyn College in New York city has "ignited a firestorm of controversy" over some opinions and questionable comments he made about organized religion - on an online journal. Professor Timothy Shortell is set to become head of the schools Sociology department, but that appointment may be in serious trouble.

Read it for yourself in the foxnews article:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,158337,00.html

I'm all for free speech, but I think he may have crossed the line, away from debate, and into the realm of "hate speech". His new blog on his website - www.shortell.org, seems reasonable - until you actually read the essay that sparked the outcry. Read it for yourself. Reasonable opinion? Hate Speech? Radical Intolerance? "On the money"?

Fishy
I don't think he crossed the line, he stated his opinion. Religions said far worse things... I'm not trying to throw this back at religion or anything i'm just saying what he said isn't all that bad and still an opinion worse things have been said.. Besides a lot of people may agree with it. And Fox probably took the worst sentences from the report. Unless I see all he wrote I refuse to judge him for writing this, and even then I probably wouldn't care..

Magee
I see absolutely nothing wrong with what he said.

magic_hate_ball
not to say bad things about organized religion but SOME people in organized religion ARE moral retards....people need to realise that we are NOT in 1665 where religious intolerance and intolerance towards a person of another lifestyle is the norm....i thought we had moved waaaaaay beyond that however and sadly, we havent esp when a man of God who professes to be a minister and "doing Gods work" is allowed to set up a website called www.godhatesfags.com to me that is moral retardation and abuse of the trust and power you have as a minister makes you such....

baracustastic
Sounds like a fair statement to me.

DeRFmAn
I'm with him on that too. I don't think he went too far. Like magee said organized religions have done far worse. Its not like he is sending people to die by feeding them to lions or anything. Hes just stating his opinion.

((The_Anomaly))
i see nothing wrong with his comments..

Cinemaddiction
People don't seem to understand that not one person speaks for the whole concept of religion, or the preachings of which it stands by.

That's like saying me, who failed Pre-Algebra twice, is the foremost representitive of mathematics.

Tex
The preachings and teachings speak for themselves.
Nowhere in his article did he say one person speaks for the whole concept of religion.

I completely agree 100% with what he had to say. That's its even an eyebrow raising issue completely appalls me! Is this how Christians react when they hear something intelligent and logical? Are they so used to their fantastical fairy tales that common sense and reasonable logic stuns, confuses and infuriates them?

Absolutely ridiculous!

Religions based on revelations are the number one threat to social and human advancement. A cancer freely carried by, and spread to, the ignorant, uninformed and weak minded.

Doesn't surprise me one bit that FoxNews is the only major news source carrying the story. The vengeful Christian watchdog.

botankus
Well, if he's not going to specify which religion he's talking about, I would assume it captures all of them in the umbrella.

Jackie Malfoy
It is real strange.No one is afraid to say anything bad about christians but have a fear of making fun of budist and jews and Musiams.Now why is this?
I have no idea.But either way it is wrong.JM

botankus
Originally posted by Jackie Malfoy
No one is afraid to say anything bad about christians but have a fear of making fun of budist and jews and Musiams.Now why is this?

Jackie, allow me to introduce you to KidRock.

Bardock42
First there are aboot a million jokes aboot jews so that is not true.
Islmaists are maybe not made fun of but we see them in the most critical light and even start wars against whole countries because there is one islamist we don't like ( with we I mean the US)
Buddhists might possibly be the nicest and most caring "religion" (its not really a religion) in the world so why the hell should we ridicule them ( although I am sure there are some jokes aboot them)

Now Radical Christians ( that hade Gays, Muslims, Mormons, Abortion doctors or whatever...basicallly people that agree with anything on the Wep Site posted by magic hate ball) are just as bad as islamists maybe even worse. They deserve to be ridiculed and maybe even openly attacked for their moronic beliefs....calling them moral retards is not an insult, its to good for them.

lil bitchiness
Ha! Not suprising he said that - hes a functionalist.

Well from where im standing, hes full of shit, based all on the fact that he uses Durkhim's ideas to put his point across about the world today.

Bardock42
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Ha! Not suprising he said that - hes a functionalist.

Well from where im standing, hes full of shit, based all on the fact that he uses Durkhim's ideas to put his point across about the world today.

How3 is a functionalist defined?

botankus
Originally posted by Bardock42
First there are aboot a million jokes aboot jews so that is not true.
Islmaists are maybe not made fun of but we see them in the most critical light and even start wars against whole countries because there is one islamist we don't like ( with we I mean the US)
Buddhists might possibly be the nicest and most caring "religion" (its not really a religion) in the world so why the hell should we ridicule them ( although I am sure there are some jokes aboot them)

Why? If you're going to ridicule one or even two religions, they ALL are fair game.

finti
all religions are fair game for ridicule

Bardock42
Originally posted by botankus
Why? If you're going to ridicule one or even two religions, they ALL are fair game.

Thats what I am saying...its fair of course I just gave the reasons why the christians are more ridiculed than the buddhists...nothing wrong with ridiculing them though (but seriously what do you want to say aboot them? " This stupid buddhists they don't even kill anyone what the hell is wrong with the...they belive that you can be nice to each other...dammit I am so happy I am Christian"? Nah doesn't really work, does it?)

Lana
People are allowed their own opinions, and this is the opinion he had. No big deal.

Though I'll be skeptical of anything Fox News reports, it was probably a single sentence pulled out of context of something completely different roll eyes (sarcastic)

magic_hate_ball
i dont know if my points about my comment were in question but i find most of the retardation in question going on in the fundamentalist part of any religion....not just Christian but all religions have some fundamentalism that crosses the line of extremism which makes them moral retards....

WindDancer
Originally posted by whirlysplat
Religious People Described as Moral Retards

Yeah, figured that title would get your attention.

A professor from Brooklyn College in New York city has "ignited a firestorm of controversy" over some opinions and questionable comments he made about organized religion - on an online journal. Professor Timothy Shortell is set to become head of the schools Sociology department, but that appointment may be in serious trouble.

Read it for yourself in the foxnews article:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,158337,00.html

I'm all for free speech, but I think he may have crossed the line, away from debate, and into the realm of "hate speech". His new blog on his website - www.shortell.org, seems reasonable - until you actually read the essay that sparked the outcry. Read it for yourself. Reasonable opinion? Hate Speech? Radical Intolerance? "On the money"?

I also believe in freedom of speech. I'm sucha a beliver that I will use it right now on Professor Timothy Shortell....personally I think he is a friggin moron looking for popularity and is using the oldest trick in the world. Which is controversy...it wouldn't surprise me to see this guy in the next few years (or maybe sooner) publishing a book on the topic of Relgion and how he believes in blah, blah, blah. It wouldn't surprise me if the New York times call it "Stunning" or "Provoking". It wouldn't surprise me if it becomes the best seller. And of course it wouldn't surprise to see a bunch of numbskulls buying this book because it symbolizes their very own opinion.

I'm done...for now.

whirlysplat
Originally posted by WindDancer
I also believe in freedom of speech. I'm sucha a beliver that I will use it right now on Professor Timothy Shortell....personally I think he is a friggin moron looking for popularity and is using the oldest trick in the world. Which is controversy...it wouldn't surprise me to see this guy in the next few years (or maybe sooner) publishing a book on the topic of Relgion and how he believes in blah, blah, blah. It wouldn't surprise me if the New York times call it "Stunning" or "Provoking". It wouldn't surprise me if it becomes the best seller. And of course it wouldn't surprise to see a bunch of numbskulls buying this book because it symbolizes their very own opinion.

I'm done...for now.

It wouldn't suprise you if I agreed with you then smile

HimoKun
You shouldn't think of Bhuddism as a religion, since it's more of a way of living your life. There is no God in Bhuddism, so why would it be called a religion? And Bhuddists, from all the ones I've met, are about twice as nice as most Christians I know. (Including me).

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.