The First Horror Movie

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

papabeard
Anyone know what the first horror film was?

The earliest one i know is a german film , called "Der Golem" made in 1932, anyone know any earlier?

MildPossession
What about Nosferatu, from 1922 or even the fantastic The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari from 1919! Early 1900's is how far back horror themed films go, even futher into the late 1800's for short films with horror/monster themes by a French man, can't remember his name.

The Devil's Castle(1896) is one of the first horror films, even though it's about 4 minutes long! by the French person I am on about above.

Anyone know the name?, bugging me now.

Cinemaddiction
Georges Melies. But yeah, "Caligari" usually gets the nod as the first official Horror film, and it's my 2nd favorite silent film behind "Metropolis".

A really good site that painstakingly chronicles the evolution of Horror films, all the way back from the beginning can be found here.

papabeard
[email protected] about about nosferatu... embarrasment

basementred
dose phantom of the opera count

MildPossession
Yes that's the name, thanks Cine.

tabby999
Originally posted by basementred
dose phantom of the opera count

i doubt it, thats more a drama

Tired Hiker
Yeah, I really don't know.

papabeard
The first moving picture movie, was the train pulling into the station, which in a way is a horror film, it played on peoples fears, audience members allegedly ran out the cinema screaming as they thought the train was going to come throught the screen and hit them.

Tired Hiker
Originally posted by papabeard
The first moving picture movie, was the train pulling into the station, which in a way is a horror film, it played on peoples fears, audience members allegedly ran out the cinema screaming as they thought the train was going to come throught the screen and hit them.

Hmm. I agree! That was indeed the first horror film! The train! yes

Comicbook_kid
The first "official" horror movie that I know of is Frankenstein....but not the most famous version played by Boris Karloff in 1931...No, this is the version known as "Thomas Edison's Frankenstein"...it was made in 1910 by none other than Thomas Edison. It was only 16 minutes long and was in fact the first telling of Mary Shelley's famous novel ever put on screen...it was thought for a long time that all prints of it were lost until the mid-1970's when some were discovered....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.