ETYMOLOGY or the origin of words

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

papabeard
Anyone know any interesting word origins?

The term "spam" for junk e-mail can be traced back to a sketch by Monty Python.

In the 80's visitors to bulletin boards would enter the word SPAM a huge number of times to scroll other users off the screen, a replica of the sketch in which the word SPAM was repeated ad nauseum.

lil bitchiness
Words do not describe reality, they are creating a reality.

Just thought to add that.

bilb
Damnit Milla, i thought this was gonna be a cool thread, I love word origins.. But oh no you had to ge get all rational & intellectual on us stick out tongue

DCLXVI
laughing out loud

papabeard
Words do not describe reality, they are creating a reality.

They do both.

Clovie
most of the words comes from Latin and Greek.

surprisingly, a lot of English words comes from French.

(note: the spellcheck corected all of the nations name to the Big case but the French)

papabeard
The word "minger" is now included in the english dictionary

Jackie Malfoy
Hey little bitches love your picture under your name!Anyway alot of the names in the hp books have alot of meanings to it.Specially greek.JM

botankus
Originally posted by Jackie Malfoy
Hey little bitches love your picture under your name!

LMAO! Before I finally figured out what she was talking about, I almost fell out of my chair.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by botankus
LMAO! Before I finally figured out what she was talking about, I almost fell out of my chair.

I first laughed, then I shook my head in dismay laughing no no expression

botankus
When I saw who had the "last post" in this of all threads, I opened the thread with morbid curiosity, only to find a post beyond anything I could have ever imagined.

You can't make that stuff up.

ms_erupt
LMAO! Before I finally figured out what she was talking about, I almost fell out of my chair. laughing That got me too. Just to come in like, hey you little bitches. Love that pic. laughing *wipes away a tear*

On topic, I can't think of an interesting word to trace the origin of.

mr.smiley
philoshopher= Lover of Sophia.

PVS
Hey little bitches

LOL!!!!!!!! when i read those first 3 words, i thought JM finally broke character and was about to tell us all we've been had and that it was all a joke

botankus
Originally posted by PVS
...was about to tell us all we've been had and that it was all a joke

I still believe you are right about that.

PVS
I still believe you are right about that.

i think so too...but if i'm wrong, then i need to find her school principal, english teacher, and all members of her school board, and shoot them all in the back of the head for the good of mankind messed

DCLXVI
Originally posted by PVS
i think so too...but if i'm wrong, then i need to find her school principal, english teacher, and all members of her school board, and shoot them all in the back of the head for the good of mankind messed

That's mean.

PVS
hey sorry, but disfunctional school systems in my own state really piss me off erm

DCLXVI
Still....it is unhealthy to reflect on another's failings.

PVS
...if those failings are acklowledged by those who fail, true.
if those who fail refuse to believe, not true imho.

botankus
Hey little bitches

Someone should report this horrific name-calling and unjustified slander to a moderator. cool

botankus
Cheers, Jackie, to quite possibly the best post ever.

BTW, is this you?

http://image12.webshots.com/13/0/96/59/145709659uGQEFx_ph.jpg

The Inkeeper
Originally posted by Clovie
most of the words comes from Latin and Greek.

surprisingly, a lot of English words comes from French.

(note: the spellcheck corected all of the nations name to the Big case but the French)

They dont deserve a capital letter.

bilb
Hey little bitches love your picture under your name!Anyway alot of the names in the hp books have alot of meanings to it.Specially greek.JM

OMG.. I read that & thought that someone hacked her username & password to start posting in her name....

ANYWAY...

Honeymoon - The word first appears in the 16th century. The honey is a reference to the sweetness of a new marriage. And the moon is not a reference to the lunar-based month, but rather a bitter acknowledgement that this sweetness, like a full moon, would quickly fade.

Clovie
Originally posted by The Inkeeper
They dont deserve a capital letter. it doesn't correct "Polish" too sad

debbiejo
Most words have really interesting meanings if you take latin, which I didn't.

papabeard
ass (2)
slang for "backside," first attested 1860 in nautical slang, in popular use from 1930; from Amer.Eng. pronunciation of arse (q.v.). The loss of -r- before -s- attested in several other words (e.g. burst/bust, curse/cuss, horse/hoss, barse/bass). Indirect evidence of the change from arse to ass can be traced to 1785 (in euphemistic avoidance of ass "donkey" by polite speakers) and perhaps to Shakespeare, if Nick Bottom transformed into a donkey in "A Midsummer Night's Dream" (1594) is the word-play some think it is. Meaning "woman regarded as a sexual object" is from 1942. assh@le first attested 1935.

papabeard
lunatic (adj.)
c.1290, "affected with periodic insanity, dependent on the changes of the moon," from O.Fr. lunatique "insane," from L. lunaticus "moon-struck," from luna "moon." Cf. O.E. monseoc "lunatic," lit. "moon-sick;" M.H.G. lune "humor, temper, mood, whim, fancy" (Ger. Laune), from L. luna. Cf. also N.T. Gk. seleniazomai "be epileptic," from selene "moon." The noun meaning "lunatic person" is first recorded 1377. Lunatic fringe (1913) was apparently coined by U.S. politician Theodore Roosevelt. Lunatic soup (1933) was Australian slang for "alcoholic drink."

papabeard

debbiejo

papabeard
laughing

GCG
Isnt it funny that the word of this thread in caps "ETYMOLOGY" has no origin ?

except of course from papabeard

Storm

bilb
wel there ya go then! stick out tongue

papabeard
cracker
1440, "hard wafer," but the specific application to a thin, crisp biscuit is 1739. Cracker-barrel (adj.) "emblematic of down-home ways and views" is from 1877. Cracker, Southern U.S. derogatory term for "poor, white trash" (1766), is from c.1450 crack "to boast" (e.g. not what it's cracked up to be), originally a Scottish word. Especially of Georgians by 1808, though often extended to residents of northern Florida.
"I should explain to your Lordship what is meant by crackers; a name they have got from being great boasters; they are a lawless set of rascalls on the frontiers of Virginia, Maryland, the Carolinas and Georgia, who often change their places of abode."

papabeard
The word Assassin derives from the Turkish(?) word for Hashish, as the men in training to become assassins were given hashish to smoke and when they were unconcious they were taken somewhere special and pre -determined with naked women and great gifts and food and natural beauty and told that they had ascended to heaven and this is what would await them once they had completed their "suicide mission". So they would believe and be more willing to carry out the mission. Also the Hashish made them more susceptible to manipulation.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.