LIVE 8 concerts

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jaden101
i know most of you probably couldn't give a rats ass about the artists playing at the live 8 concerts to protest for the upcoming G8 summit in Gleneagles not 30 miles from where i live

but given that the concerts are being billed as the biggest since bob geldof did his last gig... live aid...then i think its only fitting that it get a mention in the music forum

here is the current line ups for the various gigs

London

* Mariah Carey
* Coldplay
* Dido
* Keane
* Sir Elton John
* Annie Lennox
* Madonna
* Muse
* Razorlight
* Scissor Sisters
* Sir Paul McCartney
* Joss Stone
* Stereophonics
* Sting
* Robbie Williams
* U2
* REM
* Velvet Revolver
* Bob Geldof
* The Killers
* The Cure
* Snow Patrol

Paris

* Jamiroquai
* Craig David
* Youssou N'Dour
* Yannick Noah
* Andrea Bocelli
* Calo Gero
* Kyo
* Placebo
* Axelle Red
* Johnny Halliday
* Manu Chao
* Renaud

Berlin

* A-ha
* Crosby
* Stills and Nash
* Brian Wilson
* Lauryn Hill
* Bap
* Die Toten Hosen
* Peter Maffay

Rome

* Duran Duran
* Faith Hill
* Irene Grandi
* Jovanotti
* Tim McGraw
* Nek
* Laura Pasini
* Vasco Rossi
* Zucchero

Philadelphia

* Will Smith (host)
* Bon Jovi
* Maroon 5
* P Diddy
* Stevie Wonder
* Jay-Z
* The Dave Matthews Band
* Sarah McLachlan
* Rob Thomas
* Keith Urban
* 50 Cent
* Kaiser Chiefs

and here is a link to the live 8 site

http://www.live8live.com/whatsitabout.shtml

SnakeEyes
I see absolutely no bands on any of those lists that I would enjoy seeing.

jaden101
i'm kinda surprised that David Hasslehoff isn't at the Berlin gig...after all...he does think it was him that brought down the wall

MildPossession
* Coldplay
* Madonna
* Muse
* Sir Paul McCartney
* U2
* REM
* The Cure
* Kyo
* Placebo
* Die Toten Hosen
* Sarah McLachlan

Those are the bands I would go see, unfortunately they are all mixed up in different countries... so pointless bla bla. It's getting shown live on television, so that's good enough for me.

SnakeEyes
Nope, I take back what I said... The Killers and The Cure would be good. Other than that, it all sucks a ballchinian.

RedAlertv2
There are quite a few skilled bands on there, but none that I am really interested in.

The show in Philadelphia is total crap

Flying High
i would most likely go to london (if you could go and buy them...and i could get there)

MildPossession
Except for Sarah Mclachlan, wonderful voice.

Whisper
At least there's more black artists this time. At the original live aid (to help famine in Africa remember) I think the only black artists were Stings backing singers! (Or so my father told me!)

SlipknoT
Originally posted by jaden101
* The Cure
* The Dave Matthews Band
The only bands I would want to see no expression

04wayne
U2 are the best out of the lot. Better than all. The concerts are for a good cause though so they are worth watching

MildPossession
Even if there are more black musicians, still people are complaining here in the UK that there isn't enough black artists in the concerts this time around.

Darth Travizzle
I don't really know who was in it. I didn't watch the whole thing. Only a few bands. I do remeber watching the Linkin Park/Jay-Z part though...

MildPossession
I watched the whole of the UK concert, recorded the American one to see Sarah Mclachlan.

-Funky Punk-
i was waqtchin eilier and the who played in pairis .. there like 60 years old and still kick ass!

StinkFist462
pink floyd was the greatest thing ive ever seen on TV

Cinemaddiction
Watching Bjork was odd. She had her own little "groove" going, which was totally out of sync with the music, and she kept looking down atthe same 8 sheets of paper..like she forgot the words to her own songs or something..?

Lana
I didn't watch any of it....only bands I even cared about seeing were Velvet Revolver and the Cure anyway.

Imaginary
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
Watching Bjork was odd. She had her own little "groove" going, which was totally out of sync with the music, and she kept looking down atthe same 8 sheets of paper..like she forgot the words to her own songs or something..?

Bjork's just odd anyway blink

hh?
laughing @ 50 cent

laughing

ElectricBugaloo
Originally posted by 04wayne
U2 are the best out of the lot. Better than all. The concerts are for a good cause though so they are worth watching

hahaha. U2 isn't in the top five.

1) Pink Floyd
2) Paul McCartney
3) Stevie Wonder
4) The Who
5) Brian Wilson

Hell, the best part of U2's performance was singing Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band with McCartney.

Originally posted by StinkFist462
pink floyd was the greatest thing ive ever seen on TV

IAWTP

I think it's remarkable how damned good they sounded. WAtching at first, I was like, meh, but then when PF came on...holy shit. That alone earned it a 'save until I delete' on my Tivo. And The Who sounded pretty good too. I'm just amazed that Stevie Wonder can belt it out so well still.

Lord_Andres
Bon Jovi was by far the best out of then all, Bryan adams was 2nd the rest was I dont know, i just think that their music is not that good for big concerts

ElectricBugaloo
No way, Pink Floyd blew everyone away, no contest.

Alpha Centauri
Pink Floyd blew, for sure.

Dunno about blew everyone away though. However, hardly a stiff string of competition was it? I actually prefered the performances by The Cure and Audioslave.

I don't actually think they sucked, was just making a pun because the opportunity was there.

I do actually that most of their props are coming from sheer knowledge of who they are and the fact that it was a reunion, not necessarily the music they played. Which in my opinion, was far from spectacular.

-AC

ElectricBugaloo
i thought it was spectacular because of a couple of reasons:

1) The music itself was superior to almost anything played there. Maybe 'Superstition' and 'Helter Skelter' were better songs than PF, but as a whole, that 25 minute block of music was composed of better music than anything anyone else had in their arsenal

2) They sounded remarkably good - and of course you have to factor in the fact that it was a reunion. Seeing how they could play so well after only a few rehearsals (reportedly not til a couple of days, if not the day, before) made it all that much more impressive.

3) They played nearly flawless music. Sure, Gilmour's voice has changed, but the music itself was nearly perfect. Just seeing them play "Wish You Were Here" sent chills down my spine.

SlipknoT
Originally posted by Lord_Andres
Bon Jovi was by far the best out of then all, Bryan adams was 2nd the rest was I dont know, i just think that their music is not that good for big concerts It really is pathetic when Bon Jovi are the best out of a group of bands...

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by ElectricBugaloo
1) The music itself was superior to almost anything played there. Maybe 'Superstition' and 'Helter Skelter' were better songs than PF, but as a whole, that 25 minute block of music was composed of better music than anything anyone else had in their arsenal

I disagree, but then I think Pink Floyd are extremely overrated.

2) They sounded remarkably good - and of course you have to factor in the fact that it was a reunion. Seeing how they could play so well after only a few rehearsals (reportedly not til a couple of days, if not the day, before) made it all that much more impressive.

Why? Despite the fact that they had broke apart for so long, they were still familiar to playing with each other and I imagine still played music during that time. They didn't all quit touching musical instruments, come back 12 years later and play a gig.

3) They played nearly flawless music. Sure, Gilmour's voice has changed, but the music itself was nearly perfect. Just seeing them play "Wish You Were Here" sent chills down my spine.

Wish You Were Here was the only song they performed that I thought was great.

-AC

jaden101
its prog rock...the entire genre is over rated

Alpha Centauri
No, that's false.

There are/were many fantastic Prog Rock bands.

-AC

~AlluNeedIsLuv~
I went to Live 8 in Barrie and I didn't like some of the bands but I still had a great time! The only bands I liked were: Simple Plan, Jet and Sam Roberts and well Bryon Adams

ElectricBugaloo
Unlike most prog rock bands, Pink Floyd actually had lyrics that made sense. Not just make sense, but mean something in the larger scheme of things. They have about 4 albums that are classics, and a lot of really bad albums - but those four albums are surely in the top 50.

And a lot of the members weren't talking to eachother, let alone going to eachother's house and jamming. 10 years is a long time to not play with certain people; hell that's longer than the entire American career of The Beatles.

jaden101
i disagree... prog rock...particularly at the "experimental" end of the spectrum was dire

but then its just a genre i've never really liked...

i dont doubt the talent of some of the musicians involved but the ones that were so spaced out on the drug of the day that they decided that random noises were more important than an actual melody...well...it just aint for me

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.