Spoiler Free (Tiny) Batman Begins Review

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

8bitChris
My work got me free passes (I get them for almost all movies) to a special screening yesterday and I got to check out Batman Begins early smile.

First, the bad.

The first hour is a little slow paced. Even a guy I know that owns a comic book store told me he almost fell asleep in the beginning.

The fighting is a little blurred, but I guess this is attributed to the Batman actors actual lack of martial arts abilities. It looks a little cool, but it still leaves you wishing you could actually make out the moves that Batman is using.

The guy they cast for Batman looks like a sissy. He has the worst Batman voice i've ever heard; and he looks a little cheesy in costume.

The Good.

Morgan Freeman

It's Batman as we know Batman; not the Justice League i'm running all over the Universe fighting bad guys I shouldn't be fighting. This Batman you actually can relate too. He's not a super genius killing machine.

It has some villains you all know and love.

It's better than all the other Batman movies.

It's nice seeing the backstory of the BatCave, mobile, etc...

The movie picks up in the second half; but it's not as gripping or enthralling as i'd thought it would be as the avid comic book fan I am.

With that said, the movie is pretty good and a decent representation of Batman. Just because I didn't think it was amazing doesn't mean the rest of the room (which was applauding and yelling at the end of the movie just to give you an idea of their opinion) didn't think it was.

I wouldn't have paid to see it; but I never goto the movies to pay for anything unless i'm going for free anyway. It was still pretty good smile.

(Spoilers)

Bruce Wayne becomes Batman.

Mainstream
from a one to 10 what you give it bit?

LousyBoy
Id rather listen to his review. Two Thumbs Up. "Best Batman movie ever"
http://tvplex.go.com/buenavista/ebertandroeper/today.html

8bitChris
I'd give it a solid 7.5(5 being a mediocre movie)

I'd agree that it was the best Batman movie i've seen and a pretty decent flick.

But it wasn't one of those movies where I left the theater like, "Damn...that was good."

sevenman

8bitChris
Yeah, it should have said something like I never goto the movies unless i'm going for free. Coincidentally, I get a lot of free passes from work.

I'm not really spoiled, it's just that I usually wait for things to come out at Blockbuster/DVD and watch them at home :P. With all the deleted scenes etc...

If a bunch of friends are going to a movie, i'd go along and pay for a ticket. But I never really run to the theaters because I MUST see something. Sometimes, but not usually.

LousyBoy
Ok soo... instead of listening to this guy. An actual critic, or two would be better to listen to. Just click the link and then click the lil speaker icon next to Batman Begins.

Someone who doesnt pay for movies on our social level cant value a movie as much. Does that make sense?

SpyCspider

LousyBoy
the screen writer of Batman did Blade.

8bitChris
"Ok soo... instead of listening to this guy. An actual critic, or two would be better to listen to. Just click the link and then click the lil speaker icon next to Batman Begins. "

What is an actual critic anyway? Anyone can be a critic. I never said I got paid to do it.

Why are you attacking me? I just gave an honest opinion about what I thought about the movie. Take it as you will. I also implied that many other people in the theater enjoyed the movie a lot more than I did.

Ebert and Ropert? To tell you the truth i'd rather listen to me. Didn't they give like 700 and something enthusiastic thumbs up last year? They love everything except the obviously terrible movies. Who would you rather listen to? An actual comic book fan? or some fat guy who gets paid to watch movies all day? I'm willing to be money that I know more about Batman than Ebert or Ropert :P

"Someone who doesnt pay for movies on our social level cant value a movie as much. Does that make sense?"

Who says? I'm at blockbuster every Monday taking 3 movies home on my monthly pass. I put 100+ bucks into comics each month (adding all new comic wednesdays up) that should count for something when it comes to watching an actual comic book movie.

Sorry for getting all defensive :P. I'm just trying to understand why my opinion is being trashed?

sevenman
Originally posted by 8bitChris
Yeah, it should have said something like I never goto the movies unless i'm going for free. Coincidentally, I get a lot of free passes from work.

What's your work?

Originally posted by 8bitChris
"Who would you rather listen to? An actual comic book fan? or some fat guy who gets paid to watch movies all day?

An actual comic book fan IS some fat guy who gets paid to watch movies all day.

NoFate007
Originally posted by sevenman
What's your work?

An actual comic book fan IS some fat guy who gets paid to watch movies all day.

At least according to the simpsons..

dawsey28
8bitchris-- Thanks for the reveiw.

After veiwing this 8-minute footage: http://www.alldumb.com/media/content/2005/05/11885.wmv I must say that it is hard to buy Bale as Batman. But maybe veiwing the entire movie will be different.

I'd rather watch it and form my own opinion about it instead of just accepting someone else's.

I don't always agree with their reveiws. In fact there are alot of people that don't. No one can really say which reveiw is better until after he has seen the movie. Who knows? You might agree with 8bitchris more than them. You won't know until after you watch the movie.

Wow.. what a stereotypical generalization!

8bitChris
"What's your work?"

I work at a Boys and Girls Club. We always get free passes for preview screenings as donations.

If we have enough, we take the kids on a field trip or give them out as rewards. If they only give us about 3 (two to a pass) then it's like a staff treat. It's pretty neat. They always overbook those things though. Have to show up like an hour and a half early to wait in line.

sevenman
Ageism.... D= Eww.

8bitChris
I'm not ageist :P. haha

Too young. I just turned 21 two weeks ago :P.

LousyBoy
Well.. i was critiqueing your review and i had just seen that Ebert and Roeper reviewed it and decided to put it in here.
Seeing as how your review was very general with things like, 'This movie has cool villains! Very good acting by Freeman. It was fun seeing how Batman began.' Im paraphrasing. Basically just teling us stuff we can learn from the trailer. The only thing REAL opionated thing you told us about the movie was that Christian Bale sucks as Batman. The rest was just telling us old news. Does anyone else see an opinion in there? (rhetorical question.)

8bitChris
I had a pretty rude response all written up but I reminded myself that i'm not on the versus forum right now.

You didn't see any opinion? My whole post and improvised review was my opinion. It's what "I" liked and what "I" didn't like. And to sum it up it had "my" overall impression of the movie.

I didn't tell you anything new because I wanted to keep it spoiler free so people wouldn't accidentally read it and be able to enjoy the plot for themselves. If you want me to email you the whole plot I can do that too.

TheFilmProphet
Originally posted by TheFilmProphet
Sandy Collora director of Batman: Dead End actually gave Batman Begins an amazing review, not a negative remark to be spotted.

Sandy's REVIEW

sevenman
YOU GUYS ARE LUCKY TO SEE IT SO EARLY. T__T Man, movies should like...have a rule or something that ABSOLUTELY NO ONE (Except for the important people BEHIND the movie, not random famous people and contest winners) should be able to review the movie unless if the movie is less than a week away from its DEBUT. The less people tempt me with their reviews and rub it in my face that they saw it, the better. I'm a hater. A spoiler hater. I guess what I'm trying to say is

Thanks, 8bitChris.

dawsey28
I knew it. After veiwing the movie, I agree more with 8BitChris than Egbert and Roeper.

I completely agree with this:

And while I thought the movie was really good, there were evenmore problems with this movie than this.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.