Overdone lightsaber duel...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jabbar
I think the part where Anakin and OB1 are duelling in the control room, and they both start twirling their sabers around without hitting each other was really lame and overdone.

Also, directly after this slightly comical sequence, they both try force pushing each other, and then both fly off in opposite directions. Again, lame, and was very reminiscent of Matrix revolutions when smith and neo punch each other and similarly fly off in opp. directions. Lamo!!

Vanquish
Agreed the twirling kinda sucked, but the force push was pretty cool imo. I loved how they were even in the force push. It just proves again that Obi wan is just as strong if not stronger then the pussy little chosen one.

darth tyrant
they both have equal force strength i guess and they are practically the equal strength, but anakin is less experience that is why he got his legs chopped off.

matreid
Originally posted by jabbar
I think the part where Anakin and OB1 are duelling in the control room, and they both start twirling their sabers around without hitting each other was really lame and overdone.

Also, directly after this slightly comical sequence, they both try force pushing each other, and then both fly off in opposite directions. Again, lame, and was very reminiscent of Matrix revolutions when smith and neo punch each other and similarly fly off in opp. directions. Lamo!!

Yah, the saber spinning seemed kinda pointless and lame. Oh well.

Batman316
it shows how alike they are, both tried the same set of moves at the same time

cal31
Originally posted by Batman316
it shows how alike they are, both tried the same set of moves at the same time Yup, that's exactly the point, but obviously some people can't pick up on things that are that obvious just as some people thought Palpatine wasn't faking it when he was whining his," I'm so weak" line.

vader519
I liked it alot, and it was awesome. Niether one can find a weakness in each other, and try to outdue one another, but they both know each others moves.

newjak86
The fight was pretty cool

kremzike

I don't.

Swanky-Tuna
I thought the part where they're simualtaneously trying to counter each other but not landing anything was more funny than when they force pushed each other.

Darth_Rankkor
Originally posted by cal31
Yup, that's exactly the point, but obviously some people can't pick up on things that are that obvious just as some people thought Palpatine wasn't faking it when he was whining his," I'm so weak" line.

hahahah true true. same thoughts here

Neo_Version 7
that part was the sh*t! i wonder if that could happen in real life...

the force-push part was kinda iffy tho!

Neo_Version 7
BTW, Mace totally owned Palpz that time!

xyz jedi

You aren't much of a star wars fan if you're critisizing everything that happens even when the plot is obvious!

jay bird
I really thought it was great!!

The only problem was it was very blurry and bleeds together in the film version as apose to the D-film version!!!

Had some friends that saw it out of state in aigital theater, . . . and they were just blown away . .

it was crisper & clearer . . .and things were much sharper!!!!

For those of you that haven't seen it in a D-theater , you really can't judge the film until it comes out on dvd! wink

darthmaul1
it's not as if they were standing twirling for 5 minutes it was just a couple of seconds, it rocked and so did the force push,
True fans would not care and enjoy the fight for what it is, a fantastic duel.

Neo_Version 7
but the best lightsaber duel is hands-down, DaRTH maul vs. Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon!

KICKASS!

vader519
No way. It used to be the best fight, but Anakin vs Obi-wan replaces it because it had so much more than cool moves in the fight. Anakin vs Obi-wan has the emotion that the OT fights had and the quick fight style that the PT has combined.

JKozzy
The twirling of the sabers was an obvious attempt to find a time to slice at each other. That's not lame, that's combat.

HAROLD
I'm sure you'd know, Kozz.

SnakeEyes
I agree

Lord Tyrant
If they were moving when they did that, would look tight.

neo313
Yup, that's exactly the point, but obviously some people can't pick up on things that are that obvious just as some people thought Palpatine wasn't faking it when he was whining his," I'm so weak" line.

hahah yeah, some people are a bit shallow

I don't see the twirly move as cheesy in the slightest bit. it was actually pretty sweet, theyre going so damn fast, and theyre equally matched, they can predict each other's moves. obi wan taught anakin everything he knows. anakin's overconfidence is the only reason he loses.

kidna off topic, it pisses me off when people say "wow, that looks fake" well no sh*t, obviously it HAS to be fake because starships, lightsabers, yodas, and mustafars don't exist!

Darth_Rankkor
Originally posted by Neo_Version 7
BTW, Mace totally owned Palpz that time!

NO, he didn't.

Darth_Rankkor
Originally posted by neo313

kidna off topic, it pisses me off when people say "wow, that looks fake" well no sh*t, obviously it HAS to be fake because starships, lightsabers, yodas, and mustafars don't exist!

Usually people tend to forget that hahahaha

JKozzy
Originally posted by neo313
hahah yeah, some people are a bit shallow

I don't see the twirly move as cheesy in the slightest bit. it was actually pretty sweet, theyre going so damn fast, and theyre equally matched, they can predict each other's moves. obi wan taught anakin everything he knows. anakin's overconfidence is the only reason he loses.

kidna off topic, it pisses me off when people say "wow, that looks fake" well no sh*t, obviously it HAS to be fake because starships, lightsabers, yodas, and mustafars don't exist! laughing out loud Agreed 100%, Neo.

Stunrun
I think people are looking into the movie a little too hard to find mistakes and criticize them. The reason you never see me complaining, moaning or criticizing is because i dont waste my time posting them, when i post, i post because i ENJOY the subject/thread, etc. I mean......wheres the fun in doing this?? this is a great movie. if you want to criticise it - fine, just dont pick on the parts that CLEARLY KICKED ASS!stick out tongue

Neo_Version 7
i dunno. the OBI vs. Ani fight got kinda cheesy when they moved their fight towards the lava. but i still thought it kicked ass in the control room and when Ani gets his legs chopped off.

ShotgunWes
The force push was sooo badass!!!

Sith Master X
I loved every bit of it.

thematrixmaster
So Did I,But I Don't Understand Why Mace Windu Had To Die...He Was The 2nd Best!!!I Don't Care About Your Opinion,If You Agree With Me Then Cool....Some one tell me if mace died..TELL ME!!!

ShotgunWes
He died and he was 4th best
Ani
Yoda
Obi
Mace

Stunrun
more like:

Yoda
Mace
Anakin/Obi-Wan

Your telling me Obi-Wan could kill Mace?? just because the Mace V Palps duel wasnt as fast people wanted (how lame?) doesnt mean to say Mace Windu is some pushover. It was one of my most favourite part of the movie, and its a shame people didnt appreciate it

Altar[1stONE]
my girlfriend went "Whoa " on that saber twirlling part. Which is probably all lucas was attempting, more eye candy.

Darth Bong
The twirling move is done for momentum....end of story. Many sword techniques use similiar tactics every now and then. Its just trying to find a break in the defense. smokin'

BAILY
Originally posted by JKozzy
The twirling of the sabers was an obvious attempt to find a time to slice at each other. That's not lame, that's combat.

Exactly what I thought too Koz

jay bird
I take kendo and my friend teaches me a chinesse form as well and sometime the obsessive twirling can be there as :

A disstraction to your opponient. .

Can sometime help you find you balance & center . .

Allow you to more easily flow to the next movement . .

And the last an more important:

Is pretty damm cool to look at!!!! eek!

Robin Darkside
wtf, the fight was great!
Lame?? f*** that noise

Dresta
whoever said that obi is more powerful anakin is wrong, obi only beat him because:
1. he trained anakin so he knew all his moves
2. had a defensive fighting style
3. got lucky and won because of anakin's arrogance

anakin is a far better fighter than obi-wan

Neo_Version 7
Obi-Wan totally owned ANi!

Anakin's cool but he's dumb. sorry to be blunt.

Dresta
Anakin is dumb thats why he lost but he's still more powerful than obi.

Vanquish
Originally posted by Dresta
Anakin is dumb thats why he lost but he's still more powerful than obi.

Nope, Anakin had a lot more potential, but he didn't fulfill it. Obi wan was stronger, and the movie showed that.

Force powers - Equal
Saber skills - Equal
knowledge and experience - Obi wan

And lets face it, that is the trait that seperates Jedi's. Potential means nothing if you never learned to control yourself. It's like anything in life really, even the ones with the most potential still have to work their ass off to be the best.

(since i'm a golfer) Tiger woods has the most raw potential of any golfer, but he also works as hard as anyone else. That is why he is the best. If he never practised, no amount of raw talent could make up for the lack of effort.

Same as Anakin. Most potential of any Jedi ever, but he didn't train it properly, and didn't train for long enough. So he isn't nearly as good as he should be, and other Jedi's are stronger then him, such as Obi wan...

Dresta
then how come anakin beat dooku so easily and dooku kicked the crap out of obi-wan. also anakin was probobly tired he'd already killed all the jedi in the temple and fought loads of people in a short amount of time

adamrubin
how come anakin didn't force pull obiwan back onto the hover thing above the lava

Red Superfly
All the saber fights were overdone in the PT to be honest.

I really enjoyed the Mace vs Palpatine fight the most, it seemed to have the most combat-like moves going on.

Obi-Wan vs Anakin was fun, but I dunno about everyone else, but there was a few bits where I just saw a blur. I thought it was slightly annoying, because I like to catch every move, but sometimes it was just too fast for no real good reason, and it would just flash by, without any meaning or purpose.

Nick Gillard critices the OT for havng crap fights, but they look more like FIGHTS, rather than elaborate dances, all too obviously choreogrpahed to perfection.

Some poeple like that, but I grew up watching the raw intensity of Vader vs Luke in ESB, and that is what I personally prefer. It's my own bias which makes me think that, but that's how I think a Star Wars duel should be.

To me a Star Wars duel is an emotional STORY, with a saber fight going on in the background. I couldn't honestly give a rats ass if the choreography was lame, sometimes it makes it seem more real.

Dresta
Originally posted by adamrubin
how come anakin didn't force pull obiwan back onto the hover thing above the lava

When has anyone done anything remotely like that in star wars

Red Superfly
lol, someones been playing too much Jedi Knight.

cal31
Originally posted by Red Superfly
All the saber fights were overdone in the PT to be honest.

I really enjoyed the Mace vs Palpatine fight the most, it seemed to have the most combat-like moves going on.

Obi-Wan vs Anakin was fun, but I dunno about everyone else, but there was a few bits where I just saw a blur. I thought it was slightly annoying, because I like to catch every move, but sometimes it was just too fast for no real good reason, and it would just flash by, without any meaning or purpose.

Nick Gillard critices the OT for havng crap fights, but they look more like FIGHTS, rather than elaborate dances, all too obviously choreogrpahed to perfection.

Some poeple like that, but I grew up watching the raw intensity of Vader vs Luke in ESB, and that is what I personally prefer. It's my own bias which makes me think that, but that's how I think a Star Wars duel should be.

To me a Star Wars duel is an emotional STORY, with a saber fight going on in the background. I couldn't honestly give a rats ass if the choreography was lame, sometimes it makes it seem more real. Yes, but as George Lucas stated himself, in the OT you had a 60 yr. old man facing a half man half machine, and a 20 yr. old boy who isn't trained enought facing a half man half machine so of course those fights aren't going to be anything compared to Jedi fighting back in the glory days.

Darth Travizzle
I really don't care. I just thought the whole fighting scene was cool.

Red Superfly
Yes, but as George Lucas stated himself, in the OT you had a 60 yr. old man facing a half man half machine, and a 20 yr. old boy who isn't trained enought facing a half man half machine so of course those fights aren't going to be anything compared to Jedi fighting back in the glory days.

No. Back in those days, they didn't have the money to do so.

If Star Wars Episode IV was made TODAY, Vader and Ben would be flipping, spinning and dancing around just as much as they do in Episode III.

Vader being a machine man has NOTHING to do with it. Lucas pulled that one out of his ass.

Greivous is a machine. In fact he's more machine. If Episode IV was made today, Vader would move with all the grace of Grievous, easily. As it stands, Lucas comes up with half-baked rationales as to why he doesn't move lightning fast.

He would have done better to just say "He doesn't need to move fast against an old man and a jedi apprentice, he's too powerful".

Vader is physically more powerful in the suit, and in theory should be as nimble as Grievous - why wouldn't he be? It's just that he never needs to move that quick, so that's why he doesn't.

All I'm saying is, if Star Wars was made now, Vader would be the ultimate killing machine. He's essentially Grievous but with great force powers. Him being part machine would make him damn near unstoppable against anyone apart from Palpatine.

GABRIEL05
Originally posted by matreid
Yah, the saber spinning seemed kinda pointless and lame. Oh well.

It's used to confuse the opponent

Red Superfly
Saber spinning? What use is that? Confuse the opponent? Riiiight.

Where's Indiana Jones when you need him?

GABRIEL05
Saber spinning? What use is that? Confuse the opponent? Riiiight.

Riiiight yes. Chinese martial arts use a lot of fancy shit just to distract the opponent. It makes sense, do some fancy spinnin' with your saber and while the other guy is dazzled by the light show, shank em...

ShotgunWes
Again, Anakin was the strongest person in RotS. In the movie he said that he was powerful enough to overthrow Palpatine and in the book Mace Windu says that Anakin is arguably the most powerful jedi ever. Anakin lost to Obi because Obi knew all his moves and Anakin was too cocky. If you notice in the duel Anakin is in control of the fighting 8/10 times, it is usually Obi who is on the defensive.

Dresta
i think that vader lost quite a bit of his power after he was put in the suit but it's obvious that Lucas would hav made the duels in the OT faster if they had the technology. but generally the jedi were quite a bit more powerful in the PT then in OT.

R2D2-89
i thot it was awesome

darthmaul1
If you hate the fights in TPM why go see AOTC and ROTS why don't you just stick witht he original and STFU
The prequals rocked and so does the OT.
Did you see the PT?? this is the Jedi at their prime and in the OT vader is older ben is older and Luke is inexperianced.

Swanky-Tuna
Originally posted by ShotgunWes
If you notice in the duel Anakin is in control of the fighting 8/10 times, it is usually Obi who is on the defensive.
That's Obi-wan's style though. He's a defensive duelist, waiting for his opening.
*BAM*

Dresta
Originally posted by Swanky-Tuna
That's Obi-wan's style though. He's a defensive duelist, waiting for his opening.

*BAM*

yeah apparantly obi changed his style after seeing qui-gon get killed because he used to hav the same style as qui-gon but after he died obi went all defensive. otherwise he would noe have beaten anakin.

cal31
No. Back in those days, they didn't have the money to do so.

If Star Wars Episode IV was made TODAY, Vader and Ben would be flipping, spinning and dancing around just as much as they do in Episode III.

Vader being a machine man has NOTHING to do with it. Lucas pulled that one out of his ass.

Greivous is a machine. In fact he's more machine. If Episode IV was made today, Vader would move with all the grace of Grievous, easily. As it stands, Lucas comes up with half-baked rationales as to why he doesn't move lightning fast.

He would have done better to just say "He doesn't need to move fast against an old man and a jedi apprentice, he's too powerful".

Vader is physically more powerful in the suit, and in theory should be as nimble as Grievous - why wouldn't he be? It's just that he never needs to move that quick, so that's why he doesn't.

All I'm saying is, if Star Wars was made now, Vader would be the ultimate killing machine. He's essentially Grievous but with great force powers. Him being part machine would make him damn near unstoppable against anyone apart from Palpatine. Grevious was almost all machine which made him so quick, Vader still has a large portion of his body still being human so he is slow and lumbering. His legs are still moving, it's just his calves that are machine so that wouldn't make him any faster, he could jump higher though. I mean, did you see Vader once he got off the operation table? He sure as hell didn't look like he was ready to do a back flip, he was stumbling around. So that point is irrelevant since they show him slow and stumbling in EP III even when they have tons of money. None of the lightsaber battles in the OT should be faster because none of the combatants could move faster.

Swanky-Tuna
It probably was because of the budget.

But we can pretend he was still cocky, thinking he had grown in power so much that he didn't need to move fast.

Vanquish
I just don't know how anyone can think that Anakin was the strongest in ROTS. Yoda would hand him his ass, Windu would beat him in a good battle, and Obi wan DID beat him. Palpy would also kick the living crap out of him, no matter what Anakin says he can do.

Don't forget, he vowed never to fail in AOTC after his mom died, and 30 minutes later he lost his arm to Dooku. Then he was talking shit to Obi wan like he is going to kill him now, and then 5 minutes later lost both his legs. Apparently going into the suit didn't help him mussle his arrogance, because he was also talking shit to Luke in ROTJ, and moments later lost his arm and caught a hard beat down again.

Anakin is a shit talking fool, with no game to back it up. He had the most potential of course, but potential doesn't equal game. Face it, Anakin is like the 4th strongest Jedi / Sith in ROTS, and that was at his peak.

And saying Obi wan only won because he knew all Anakins moves is just rediculous. Did Anakin have his freaking eyes closed for the 10 years that Obi wan trained him? Don't you think he picked up a thing or two about his masters moves? Fact is, they know eachother equally well, so that point is MUTE. There is no advantage or disadvantage on either side, because they both know eachother. No, obi wan won because he is a better in combat. Sure he is mostly defensive, but that is his style, and it works amazingly well.

If you guys had your way, Anakin would be burning in the fire and he would shout back to Obi wan: "Hey you cheated, no fair. You played too defensively. How come you didn't fight me in such a way that would let me win? Bastard, I hate you. Cheater, cheater... you were defensive you cheater... "

Darth Jello
the one huge violation i saw was when anakin was backing obiwan across the lava bridge. if you aren't attacking, parrying, or trying to confuse your opponent, your blade tip should by parllel with his throat!!!

ShotgunWes
Vanquish do you know something that George Lucas doesn't, because he wrote the movie and in it Anakin says that he is more powerful than Palpatine. Also in the RotS book which IS CANON WIndu says that Anakin is the most powerful jedi ever. So you are talking out of your ass. Unless you wrote the movie/book, then you have to go by what is said in the movie and book. And it was said that Anakin was the most powerful. You are coming off as a know it all. I am glad that you have an opinion and everything, that's why I come to these boards. So that I can analyze and discuss what I love. Star Wars.

Ogami Itto
The ROTS book ain't canon!sorry

Mist
i dont think the force push was too much like matrix....i was thinking it tied together the Obi vs Anakin duel along with Yoda vs Palpatine...coz both duels had a part where both combatants were tied...then flew back.

it was nice droolio

Darth_Rankkor
Anakin could have become the most powerful ever if he didn't messed up. He droped the ball plain and simple. He didn't learned the full potential of the light side neither the dark side. And what made Obi 1 win in mustafar was the fact that anakin once more, droped the ball. Should he waited and jump a few meters far from obi he would have made it and keep dueling. Obi warned him that he was on a higher level and that he would not make the jump. Anakin is just too headstrong.

Dresta
it's true anakin had the potential to be the most powerful jedi ever but he never fulfilled it partly because he was an arrogant brat

Darth_Rankkor
Originally posted by Dresta
it's true anakin had the potential to be the most powerful jedi ever but he never fulfilled it partly because he was an arrogant brat
exactly what I've said but shorter hehhe

amity75
I actually thought that the best part of the duel was when they both took a bit of respite and sheltered behind those partitions to avoid the lava. Some dialogue at that point would have been interesting though.

Darth_Rankkor
imo PT has the best fight scenes. in the OT they're too slow and/or rude.

jainasolo55
your bias towards grievious

socialrebel101
That scene was kick ass, stupid.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.