Disco pigs

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jaden101
director Kirsten Sheridan

starring

Pig: Cillian Murphy (28 days later, Cold mountain, Girl with a pearl earring, Batman Begins)

Runt: Elaine Cassidy (the others, Uncle Adolf)

what is the colour of love?

Set in the republic of Ireland in the cities of Cork and Dublin. Disco pigs follows the lives of Pig and Runt...2 inseparable friends...born of the same day in the same hospital and have lived next door to one another all there lives

Narrated sporadically by Runt...it shows them in the days leading up to their 17th birthday and how the sexual awakening of Pig and his increasing feelings for Runt fuels his jealousy and begins to fracture their once unbreakable friendship.

the feelings Pig has for Runt are unrequited and the pairs increasingly violent behaviour causes their separation when Runt is sent by her parents to a school for disobediant children

unable to accept the separation, Pig leaves in search of Runt...finding her on the day they celebrate their birthday and ther events which lead to a poignant and tragic end for the pairs friendship

the film in my opinion is a masterpiece of emotion

the pair are so entrenched in their own world that they have their own language in which they speak to each other about their dreams and hopes for the future...the thick irish dialect makes it quite difficult to understand at times but the emotion of the scenes overcomes the language problem and helps strengthen your connection with the characters

the director also uses contrasting soundtracks to separate the insular world which Pig and Runt inhabit which has a very slow and dream like soundtrack which contrasts with the scenes in the nightclub...where the reality of life collides with the pairs own world...highlighted by harsh and abrupt club music

the film manages to show the extent of Pig's obsessiveness over Runt by completely leaving out any consequenses of his increasingly violent actions

i cant recommend this film enough... for me it is one of the best love stories ever put on film and both leads give superb performances

see it if you can...you'll love it

http://www.discopigs.com/#

Illyria
Ok, so you are another person who watched the movie. My sister watches all these movies written by Irish/Scottish writers or based on Ireland. Although, they are original, you'd have to have a taste for the morbid to like them. The language in the movie was very hard to understand but ones you get it, it's actually fun to be able to figure out the dialogues.

jaden101
my being Scottish kind of helps with the Scottish films...but yeah i found the dialogue pretty hard going at times in disco pigs...but i just found the emotion of the film comes through even without total understanding of the words

particularly the scene just after Pig had battered the guy on the dance floor and he sits down, turns to Runt and says "good fun eh?...like a big action flick" with tears welling up in his eyes

as for a taste for the morbid... i guess the fact that i do forensics at university perhaps helps explain that stick out tongue

Jackie Malfoy
Strange name I never saw it before through.jm

GCG
looks like emotionally charged as 21 grammes having 3 strangers getting their life entwined with each other yet by contrast its about a life long relationship between 2 persons who would know each other inside out, expressing one self regardless of how outsiders would percieve that communication.
Surprisdingly i understood the dialogue from the movie clips.

jaden101
get bloody watching it you...you've already been told ages ago

stick out tongue

GCG
I cant seem to find a bunch of movies from ages ago !

By the time I get to see something, its already been discussed and the thread has died down ! Its a slow, abnormal process of getting to watch stuff.

Morning_Glory
so is this movie already out?

love brit movies droolio

jaden101
i've seen your post at "the other place"...the general glossary one... you could have watched a hundred movies in time it took to write that... unless its one of those cut n paste jobs

jaden101

Morning_Glory
I'll probably have to find it on ebay or something...

GCG
Originally posted by jaden101
i've seen your post at "the other place"...the general glossary one... you could have watched a hundred movies in time it took to write that... unless its one of those cut n paste jobs

no no ; its like i go down to trhe DVD stores and i ask for a variety of movies. I ask for Football Factory, Napoleon Dynamite, and i get 'uhh no' for reply. by the time i mention Disco Pigs i geting people looking at me funny.

ITS LIKE THERE IS A ****ING EMBARGO ON DVDs.

Then when they're in, they come as a tidal wave of old releases.

Imagine This : I had to actually buy Reseviour Dofs to re-see it after years! When i oredered it, i was told it will take 1 week..........It took 5 !

So im there haggling with the shop owner for a discount (which i got!) yet still expensive as i bought it for around 20 euros!

And sorry to be a nerd, but copy and paste would have to be the correct term stick out tongue

jaden101
oh right...well thats what you get for living in the middle of nowhere

wink stick out tongue

Morning_Glory
who lives in the middle of no where?

jaden101

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.