Smoking Ban in Ontario

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DCLXVI

Big Evil
I am deffinitly outraged by this too, I was when they banned smoking in bars here in the U.S. in Florida, people get drunk off thier ass but can't smoke. What stupid shit man..I'm sorry your country has to endure the burden of liberal stupidity as well..

And they call our countries a democray. Pheh.

BackFire
I don't smoke, never have, never will.

Now, with that said, I think this is absolute bullshit. Smoking is a personal choice that some make, if they wish to, it's their decision. It should also be left up to the owners of the specific establishments if they wish to disallow moking in their restaurant/bar.

What utter nonsense. This anti smoking crap has got to go.

DeRFmAn
Ah I used to smoke but I quit. I think it went a little too far. I live in San Antonio, TX and we passed a bill that says that if restaurant want to have a smoking section then it has to be closed off to the rest of the building. There is still smoking in bars and clubs. I think thats the way it should be done. But that doesn't sound all that bad. Someplaces will prolly end up building an outside part to their establishments.

Afro Cheese
Originally posted by Big Evil
I am deffinitly outraged by this too, I was when they banned smoking in bars here in the U.S. in Florida, people get drunk off thier ass but can't smoke. What stupid shit man..I'm sorry your country has to endure the burden of liberal stupidity as well..

And they call our countries a democray. Pheh. Around here you can smoke in bars but not restaurants.. if the place makes like 10% or more of their profits from selling food, they can't allow smoking. It's forced a lot of places to stop selling food.

I can't stand non-smoking laws, and I don't even smoke. They should let the restaurant/bar/whatever decide their own smoking policy and if non-smokers don't like it they don't have to go there.

baracustastic
How is banning smoking Liberal?

the liberal thing to do is the exact opposite.

As it goes, I reckon smoking is disgusting. The quiker it is outlawed the better everyne will be.

Difference between smoking and drinking is that if I was sitting in a room smoking I would be subjecting the OTHERS in the room to the damage of my habit as well as myself. If I was drinking I only adversely affect MY health.

Smokers can kill themselves if they want, but no-one else should suffer because of their manky addiction.

KidRock
Originally posted by BackFire

Now, with that said, I think this is absolute bullshit. Smoking is a personal choice that some make, if they wish to, it's their decision. It should also be left up to the owners of the specific establishments if they wish to disallow moking in their restaurant/bar.

Drinking and driving is a personal choice..so is doing heroin or crack..should those be allowed to?

SlipknoT
Originally posted by KidRock
Drinking and driving is a personal choice..so is doing heroin or crack..should those be allowed to? Yes.

PVS
Originally posted by baracustastic

i was going to ask the exact same thing.
but we will never get a straight answer.

KidRock
Originally posted by SlipknoT
Yes.

I know your a dumbass slipknot, we all do, there is no need for you to keep showing us that you are. The question was for BF.

manny321
Guys it costs the province of Ontario 1.7 billion in health care costs on stupid smokers. They make less then 1.3 billion on Taxes. They raise taxes to high black market starts.

I think those are banned to.

Canada's is democracy for sure but its more controlled there. There is The Canadian broadcast Chanel funded by the government. The alcohol is sold from government controlled business. The post is controlled by business. Thats about it. I doubt any government will retract this and Canada has quite a rep for destroying the rights of the general populace so the minorities can live in peace. SO learn something, its costing the government more money then they ever make back. I think smoking is sorting leveling off no in Ontario. Not a smoker everywhere as it used to be. Also the Prime Minister has the same powers as king almost IMO. I don't pity smokers at all (smoking killed my uncle) but i think the Premier has some sort of personal connection to this. He is launching a crusade on smoking. Watch one day he say "ban the smoking infidels."

hotsauce6548
I think that a 'Smoking' section in a restaurant or bar should have to be closed off from the rest of the building, as the second hand smoke does damage to everybody around the smoker.

debbiejo
Well...it might help those who want to quit, quit....Though cigs. go with beer and such...just like with coffee.

manny321
they banned that sealed of section in bars and such too.

debbiejo
I was in a conference where they made the smokers go outside, and not just anywhere out side, but in a roped off area with no where to sit and the temp us around 8 degrees....That's cruel...

Dr. Strangelove
I find smoking repulsive, but that's just taking it too far.

manny321
that was to far. IMo let them smoke in the streets, cars, and homes. Thats were you spend a large part of your day. Don't need to smoke at work. Damn it Canada post people take smoking breaks ever 30 min. Now tell me thats not a drain on the econmey. Smoking workers i noticed take breaks like every hour.

SlipknoT
I know your a dumbass slipknot, we all do, Coming from a Bush supporter and Kid Rock fan roll eyes (sarcastic) ...

KidRock
Coming from a Bush supporter and Kid Rock fan roll eyes (sarcastic) ...

Yeah, you should take that as a compliment. laughing out loud

Dr. Strangelove
Originally posted by manny321
that was to far. IMo let them smoke in the streets, cars, and homes. Thats were you spend a large part of your day. Don't need to smoke at work. Damn it Canada post people take smoking breaks ever 30 min. Now tell me thats not a drain on the econmey. Smoking workers i noticed take breaks like every hour.

I agree with you, though tell that to a smoker working a 9 to 6 job and they'll probably say that when the craving starts it's extremely tough to wait it out till they can get to their car or home.

Big Evil
Originally posted by baracustastic

the liberal thing to do is the exact opposite.

True, but I like in the United States where everything is ass-backwards. Our toilets go counter clockwise, our roads are to the right-side of the road, and our liberals are fascist punks that take away all our freedoms and rights for our "own good"..

silver_tears
I'm all for it thumb up

debbiejo
I like the roads... stick out tongue Just wait till they tax the fast food for your own good...health that is.

BackFire
Drinking and driving is a personal choice..so is doing heroin or crack..should those be allowed to?

Drinking and Driving is completely different from smoking. If you drink before driving there are factual consequences, lowered reaction time and such, the risk of getting into an accident increases, but this is obvious.

Crack and Heroin are also different from cigarettes because, like alchohal, they alter your perception of the world and can cuase people to hellucinate and become overly aggressive and what not. Also crack and heroin have other types of possible economic problems that could arise if made legal.

The risks of second hand smoking, on the other hand, have recently become more and more questionable and more and more people discover the blatantly biased and exagerated source of much of the "Second hand smoke kills" stuff. There have been numerous studies that show that there is no statistically significant risk from second hand smoke, outside of children and pregnant mothers.

dave123
If something like that happened here in London, I'd say sure, why not big grin

But then again, I don't really know, or care, about the other arguments against my opinion happy

Fishy
I think its just bullshit, either ban smoking completely or stop complaining about it. Let bars restaurants and what not decide for themselves. Banning smoking in schools and hospitals and government buildings is fine with me, I can understand that. But in other places the owners should be able to decide.

debbiejo
There is a company here that made the news by giving his employees one year to quit smoking or get fired. All quit except for 2 women..They're taking him to court...I don't think they'll win though. Most were glad to quit.

Though you could argue that the owner knew when he hired them that they smoked. Maybe it should be an up front policy.

Fishy
Originally posted by debbiejo
There is a company here that made the news by giving his employees one year to quit smoking or get fired. All quit except for 2 women..They're taking him to court...I don't think they'll win though. Most were glad to quit.

Though you could argue that the owner knew when he hired them that they smoked. Maybe it should be an up front policy.

How the hell can you fire people for smoking? Thats like firing people for eating meat, or drinking water or being black... Absolute bullshit it has nothing to do with the company

botankus
There is an increase in walk-outs at restaurants since this has happened in NYC and Atlanta.

For example, after someone finishes their meal and would like to go outside and smoke before paying their bill. Then, they just split.

Now one way to combat this is to take a credit card from them as collateral, but what if they don't have one? You can't refuse service (or should I say 'shouldn't' because of that) for that reason.

KharmaDog
I think it's a little over the top, but I am not outraged at all. I am concerned as to what other things McGuinty might ban or crazy ass laws that he might pass, but this one does not bother me.

Originally posted by DCLXVI
What about my mother, who is a dedicated nurse and has been for nearly twenty years, and wants to smoke cigarettes on her break instead of listening to bitching nurses in the staff room?

If your mother has been a nurse for nearly 20 years working with cancer and emphazema patients and still smokes, then she is stupid. I'm sorry to sound harsh, but that's the way I feel. And as for her breaks, she doesn't have to listen to other nurses, if she only smokes to avoid her co-workers then not only is she stupid, but antisocial too.

Smoking is a personal choice that some make, if they wish to, it's their decision.

Smoking is a personal choice, however it does directly affect people around you who don't smoke. The other problem is that smokers smoke for years, and then end up disproportionately using our healthcare system and putting a strain on it because of their choices.

Should it be banned altogether? Probably not. But if you choose to smoke knowing the effects, then perhaps you shouldn't be entitled to the same health care advantages as nonsmokers. Just a thought.

Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove
I agree with you, though tell that to a smoker working a 9 to 6 job and they'll probably say that when the craving starts it's extremely tough to wait it out till they can get to their car or home.

And how is that my, or anyone elses' problem? They chose to take up the habit, let them deal with it.

Originally posted by DCLXVI
True, but I like in the United States where everything is ass-backwards. Our toilets go counter clockwise, our roads are to the right-side of the road, and our liberals are fascist punks that take away all our freedoms and rights for our "own good"..

Nice way to avoid the "how is that liberal question". The Patrriot Act was not enacted by a liberal thinking gov't. Please give examples of all of your rights and freedoms that liberals have taken away.

debbiejo

This story was on 20/20 or one of those shows a couple months ago.
The owner decided it would be better to look out for everyones health. He encouraged them to join his health programs and this will all lower the companies costs for the employees taking off sick days. He said that the smokers took off more days then the non smokers. Insurance costs would go down too....But when he implimented this he already knew that these people smoked...The 2 women had been with the company many years...

Fishy
Originally posted by KharmaDog
I think it's a little over the top, but I am not outraged at all. I am concerned as to what other things McGuinty might ban or crazy ass laws that he might pass, but this one does not bother me.

If your mother has been a nurse for nearly 20 years working with cancer and emphazema patients and still smokes, then she is stupid. I'm sorry to sound harsh, but that's the way I feel. And as for her breaks, she doesn't have to listen to other nurses, if she only smokes to avoid her co-workers then not only is she stupid, but antisocial too.

Smoking is a personal choice, however it does directly affect people around you who don't smoke. The other problem is that smokers smoke for years, and then end up disproportionately using our healthcare system and putting a strain on it because of their choices.

Should it be banned altogether? Probably not. But if you choose to smoke knowing the effects, then perhaps you shouldn't be entitled to the same health care advantages as nonsmokers. Just a thought.

And how is that my, or anyone elses' problem? They chose to take up the habit, let them deal with it.

Nice way to avoid the "how is that liberal question". The Patrriot Act was not enacted by a liberal thinking gov't. Please give examples of all of your rights and freedoms that liberals have taken away.

If you feel like that then ban smoking and be done with it. Much easier then doing all that crap that people are doing. They say they want people to stop and limit the places were people can smoke but instead of just banning it they continue to walk around the issue.

Ban it completely or don't ban it. But forcing bars or restaurants to ban smoking is just idiotic. It should be their own choice not that of the government

KharmaDog
I see what you are saying fishy, I think that the Ont. Gov't wants to get rid of it, but doesn't want to tell people what they can do in their own homes. So I see their point too.

finti
we`ve had a smoking ban here in Norway for a year now, i think it should be up to the owner of the establishment whether it should be a smoker/non smoker place. I dont smoke myself and if I visit a "smoking pub/bar" it would be my own choice to risk the effects of it.

Fishy
Originally posted by KharmaDog
I see what you are saying fishy, I think that the Ont. Gov't wants to get rid of it, but doesn't want to tell people what they can do in their own homes. So I see their point too.

I can understand where they are coming from, I think its just bullshit however. Tons of other things are banned for a good reason, so if they really think its so bad that it shouldn't be done they should just ban it. If they refuse to ban it they should let the owners decide.

I can see where they are coming from I just think its a bulshit thing to do.

BackFire
Originally posted by finti
we`ve had a smoking ban here in Norway for a year now, i think it should be up to the owner of the establishment whether it should be a smoker/non smoker place. I dont smoke myself and if I visit a "smoking pub/bar" it would be my own choice to risk the effects of it.

That's absolutely correct, I agree 100%

Ushgarak
By the American definition of liberal, legislation that bans smoking is indeed a liberal phenomenon. Sorry, but it is. The right wing wouldn't do it.

ZoSo
Alright it seems my first post here was questionable.

My big problem is, if they're going to make a smoker's life in Canada hell, then they might as well stop selling, and ban smoking in the country. But instead, the government plays both sides of the spectrum, trying to coax non-smokers into voting for them, while still selling cigarettes in local stores.

baracustastic
Originally posted by Ushgarak
By the American definition of liberal, legislation that bans smoking is indeed a liberal phenomenon. Sorry, but it is. The right wing wouldn't do it.

I know Ush. I asked the question knowing the ridiculous nature of the answer.

Ah......the crazy, screwed-up nature of the U.S.

In the land that covets liberty it's the liberals that that reduce personal liberties.

Makes perfect sense.

What total, complete fool decided to re-polarise the meaning of perhaps the most important word in the U.S.A's history?

Why do the people accept it?

Nonsensical.

Gryn Jabar
Coming from a Bush supporter and Kid Rock fan roll eyes (sarcastic) ...
Yes, Slipknot, all Bush supporters are complete retards who live in Buttsniff, Arkansas. Grow up son.

jaden101
this is a big issue in the UK at the moment as there is a smoking ban on the horizon... research shows and police investigations have uncovered plans by organized crime gangs to set up illegal bars selling bootleg alcohol and cigarettes and allowing anyone who wants to indulge do so...

so its going to basically make the same criminals who kill to make more money...

given that current technology can make pub and club atmospheres relatively smoke free anyway then it just smacks or more nannying behaviour by the state

manny321
Well people taking less vices usually equals a nicer society. Meaning what would happen if 80% society smoked and drinked???

Yes some of them were the ones that were not smart enough to resist peer pressure. Serious, just say no if you don't want to smoke and if they says you have to, there are not even close to being your friend. mad
Banning it would be nuts because i even think the craziest liberal would know thats impossible and you would increase crime in Toronto by a 100% by all the smuggling. Think for a minute, people!!.

ZoSo
Originally posted by manny321
Well people taking less vices usually equals a nicer society. Meaning what would happen if 80% society smoked and drinked???

Yes some of them were the ones that were not smart enough to resist peer pressure. Serious, just say no if you don't want to smoke and if they says you have to, there are not even close to being your friend. mad
Banning it would be nuts because i even think the craziest liberal would know thats impossible and you would increase crime in Toronto by a 100% by all the smuggling. Think for a minute, people!!.

But what they are doing is convoluted and idiotic, not to mention hypocritical.

manny321
I think DoSO the premier has a personal connection to this. Meaning somone in his fmaily died of it.

I think heavy taxes would lead to smuggling. No control will lead to many smoking and a worse society and massive health care costs. Banning it leads to crime waves. So a middle solution had to be made.

ZoSo
You can't say it's special because the Premier had a personal connection to it. I'm quite sure, EVERYBODY has. Cancer is one of the leading causes of death nowadays, and not only in smoke-related form....

IceWithin

exactly... luckily in many places in europe you can still smoke

Capt_Fantastic
well, I smoke. One of the interesting things about the smoking bans is that they rarely take into consideration how many people do smoke. I go out to the clubs and when you get there you say to yourself, "there really aren't that many people here. Then you go outside for a cigarette and the balcony is packed with people smoking.

But, I respect other people not wanting to breathe it. I have no issue with going outside. I don't even smoke in my own house.

botankus
^^ Very True, Cap'n.

IceWithin
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
well, I smoke. One of the interesting things about the smoking bans is that they rarely take into consideration how many people do smoke. I go out to the clubs and when you get there you say to yourself, "there really aren't that many people here. Then you go outside for a cigarette and the balcony is packed with people smoking.

But, I respect other people not wanting to breathe it. I have no issue with going outside. I don't even smoke in my own house.

well yeah, but I don't think smoking should be ILLEGAL in public places, I think the owner of the place should be able to decide whether he wants poeple smoking in his club or not.

amity75
'Every cigarette you smoke takes 10 seconds off your life', health experts say. To combat this, at the end of every day work out how many seconds you have 'lost', and simply go to bed that much later, or wake up that much earlier the next morning. Hey presto! your lost time is returned.

manny321
yes i will sleep 2 min latter and wake up 2 min earlier. So your going to live your whole life like that? big grin

Anyways these bans are somewhat working in Canada. I just heard off the news that Canada has the least smokers (by ratio-wise of course) in the developed world. I think the purpose of the bans would reduce the amount of smokers somewhat or reduce the amount they smoke.

debbiejo
Ya know...if everyone did quite smoking medical insurance costs should go down..

((The_Anomaly))
I agree, all smoking in public places should be banned, im glad i live in ontario...

IceWithin
Originally posted by amity75
'Every cigarette you smoke takes 10 seconds off your life', health experts say. To combat this, at the end of every day work out how many seconds you have 'lost', and simply go to bed that much later, or wake up that much earlier the next morning. Hey presto! your lost time is returned.

oh god! not ten seconds! stick out tongue
anyways Id rather die young... well not YOUNG but like... 55 or 60

KharmaDog
Originally posted by IceWithin
anyways Id rather die young... well not YOUNG but like... 55 or 60

I doubt that you'll feel the same way when you are 55-60. That's not that old.

botankus
Ya know...if everyone did quite smoking medical insurance costs should go down..

Yes. BTW, who's cigarette is burning in this picture?

qubit
I feel compassion for people who are addicted to smoking (or anything else for that matter), but we are each ultimately responsible for our own person. Compassion is one thing. Indulgence is another.

I STRONGLY support a smoke free society for completely selfish reasons: I don't want to be subjected to 2nd hand smoke. "Financial hardship" is NOT an adequate reason to subject employees and non-smokers to 2nd hand smoke. I do NOT appreciate establishments making money at the expense of my health. It is unfair in the EXTREME that 20 non-smokers in a restaurant, bar or office have to be forced to become smokers because ONE person can't shake an addiction.

qubit
Originally posted by amity75

Yeah, you know what? I don't care if it takes 10 MINUTES off YOUR life. Just keep that butt away from me, man.

sk8stuff09
alot of ppl smoke in Toronto

manny321
True but i noticed its much less public these days. Heck i am serious but all of these strict laws are resulting into downward trend in smoking in Canada. A while back on Global TV they said Canada had the lowest rates of smokers in the developed world. So i think they are having an impact.

PINBALL
Im glad that smoking got banned i hate goin places and all you can breath is that nasty stuff

KidRock
Facist Canada at it again.

Fëanor
down with parliament!

manny321
Canada is just to liberal for some people on this board.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.