Why do people feel the need to...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

tabby999
i know this is rather Reservoir Dogs of me, but why is it that people feel the need to tip waiters and sometimes barmen but not people like kitchen hands and chefs?

i work in a restaurant/bars kitchen and see waiters who do very little work in comparison to me and some of the guys in the kitchen get tips, sometimes up to $50, but we slave away making the food that waiters take out to people and get nothing. chefs do apprenticeships for years to be able to do their job and the whole point of the people coming in is for the food they cook, yet they give tips to the people who simply bring the food to their table, not the person who cooked it or the person who worked for hours preping the kitchen for the food to be cooked

it seems to be a horrible double standard, we work just as hard, if not harder, yet receive no tips. why do people feel they need to tip waiters but not the kitchen workers?

hotsauce6548
Because chefs aren't important.

debbiejo
Yea...The cooks are doing all the work and making sure the food is yummy.....There should be a change made...

Dr. Strangelove
My parents always tip waiters and I never understood why. They say it's the classy thing to do and that waiters don't make much money. I really don't see a big difference between a waiter who serves my food at a restaurant and the guy who takes my order at Taco Bell.

And yes, the cheif is a lot more important.

GCG
it would have to irk you even more knowing that chefs and kitchen porters have their job classified as 'productive' whilst waiters are required to give service.

Not all places are like that. Tips are divided equally here.

debbiejo
It's more fun to cook anyways...I'd rather be a cook then a waitress.

GCG
Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove
I really don't see a big difference between a waiter who serves my food at a restaurant and the guy who takes my order at Taco Bell.

I do considering the food quality, wine selection, restaurant decor etc.

A guy at the counter in Taco Bell, McDonalds, Burger King, merely works in a fast food outlet. The word Fast Food means exactly it. You order and get served quickly. Its a production line. and since in that time frame was small you havent had the opportunity to conclude why he desrves a tip. Besides the guy in taco bell just wants to get rid of you to serve the next customer.

The waiter in the restaurant is there to explain to you what every part of your meal is. What do the dishes consist of. What wines go along to accompany it. Pulling the chair when the woman gets up and sits down. Flambe. Timing the service. All together he/she has to be assertive knowing how to reply without a manager and juggling a number of covers single handedly in an accepted time-frame for the individual pattern of each client

debbiejo
Well, that's the finest restaurants...Most are not like that...I think some should be given to the chef too.

GCG
what about the kitchen porter (dishwasher) ?

He maintains the cutlery and crockery spik and span, gets all dirty and is the last to leave cause he has to wash up. He deserves some as well.

Thing is, in fine dining restaurants, everything is looked after.

RedAlertv2
Do you really expect someone to walk into the busy kitchen and hand you five bucks? I think that would be a little akward

GCG
eek! Five bucks for a doggy bag !

messed do you really expect an answer to that, kid ?

tabby999
Originally posted by GCG
The waiter in the restaurant is there to explain to you what every part of your meal is. What do the dishes consist of. What wines go along to accompany it. Pulling the chair when the woman gets up and sits down. Flambe. Timing the service. All together he/she has to be assertive knowing how to reply without a manager and juggling a number of covers single handedly in an accepted time-frame for the individual pattern of each client

Thats just it, i dont think i've seen any of the waiters where i work do anything other than take the persons order and make sure they have drinks regularly.

Originally posted by GCG
what about the kitchen porter (dishwasher)? He maintains the cutlery and crockery spik and span, gets all dirty and is the last to leave cause he has to wash up. He deserves some as well.

True, i get that job at work, but not only that, i also make entres and tapas (small ammounts of food, not quite and entre, kind of like a sampler of the food, a little snack) and meals while washing dishes and cleaning pots and pans, polishing cutlery and keeping the place reasonably clean. then i get to hang around an extra half hour - hour cleaning when everyones gone home. i dont get anything extra and i get paid exactly the same as any of the waiters, they dont get paid badly.

Originally posted by RedAlertv2
Do you really expect someone to walk into the busy kitchen and hand you five bucks? I think that would be a little akward

i dont expect that, there is a little tray at the register where they leave tips, why not just divide equally between the people working?

BlackC@t
In New Zealand, waiters do not get tipped.

Cipher
Chefs get paid well.
Dish washers barely do their job.
Wait staff are the ones who can make the experience pleasant or not.......

snehin
in india no one has to tip anyone i just tip em anyways!!noone really cares bout tippin anyone here!

mechmoggy
Chefs don't get paid that well I'm afraid, my brother was one once.

I'd like to think my tip goes in a jar and is split evenly, though.

snehin
chefs here are paid more than frikkin waiters and even managment!!they are in a union which had a hell of a battle they hav to be given 20% of the profits cause they really do the work!!

joeykangaroo
Originally posted by debbiejo
Yea...The cooks are doing all the work and making sure the food is yummy.....There should be a change made...
dont they split some fo the money with them?

snehin
where dont they spli atleast 2% profit has to go to the chefs anywhere round the world!!

bilb
Well in the US the minimum wage is different for wait staff than other staff. It is expected taht wait staff will be tipped so the minimum wage is less than a third of the norm... plus you have to declare your tips so that you can be taxed on them.. they tax your paycheck which means you basically get NO paycheck. So if it werent tips, here in the US wait staff would make zilch. Whereas other staff not only get minumum wage but are eligible for raises.......

tabby999
Originally posted by Cipher
Chefs get paid well.
Dish washers barely do their job.
Wait staff are the ones who can make the experience pleasant or not.......

Chefs get paid the same as everyone else here, i live in Aus, not america. i'm a dishwasher and i can promise you that if you came here and walked into a kitchen during lunch or dinner rush and said "dishwashers dont do their jobs" you'd get bashed by us dish washers in the time we have between washing the dishes, cutlery, making meals and cleaning.

Originally posted by snehin
chefs here are paid more than frikkin waiters and even managment!!they are in a union which had a hell of a battle they hav to be given 20% of the profits cause they really do the work!!

we all get paid about the same, waiters dont have to rely on the money from tips to live

Originally posted by bilb
Well in the US the minimum wage is different for wait staff than other staff. It is expected taht wait staff will be tipped so the minimum wage is less than a third of the norm... plus you have to declare your tips so that you can be taxed on them.. they tax your paycheck which means you basically get NO paycheck. So if it werent tips, here in the US wait staff would make zilch. Whereas other staff not only get minumum wage but are eligible for raises.......

we all get paid about the same. infact, i can promise that there are wait staff making more money in my workplace than i am, should we take all their tips and give it to those getting paid less? no, everyone should get a equal share

DeRFmAn
I've tried to tip cooks before and I ended up getting told by the manager that it isn't allowed. So I just ended up telling the manager that that cook should get a raise. I doubt that happened tho.

shaber
I doubt Jamie Kennedy ever gets tips for waitering!

tabby999
the simple solution is to simple divide the tips received for the night up per person

debbiejo
Are we still talking about this...It's been said. Let the chiefs/cooks have a cut. Only fair. I enjoy a well cooked meal...

Capt_Fantastic
I over tip

But, I'm also a difficult patron from time to time. I simply expect what I ask for, the way I ask for it.

However, if you do exactly as I ask, then you'll get a great tip.

Tex
Originally posted by tabby999
i know this is rather Reservoir Dogs of me, but why is it that people feel the need to tip waiters and sometimes barmen but not people like kitchen hands and chefs?

i work in a restaurant/bars kitchen and see waiters who do very little work in comparison to me and some of the guys in the kitchen get tips, sometimes up to $50, but we slave away making the food that waiters take out to people and get nothing. chefs do apprenticeships for years to be able to do their job and the whole point of the people coming in is for the food they cook, yet they give tips to the people who simply bring the food to their table, not the person who cooked it or the person who worked for hours preping the kitchen for the food to be cooked

it seems to be a horrible double standard, we work just as hard, if not harder, yet receive no tips. why do people feel they need to tip waiters but not the kitchen workers?

I dont know if this is the case in Australia but here in America waiters only make $1.25/hour. The rest of their salary solely depends on tips.

Where as the people in the kitchen are paid a regular annual salary.

finti
the tips are divided here in Norway

tabby999
Originally posted by Tex
I dont know if this is the case in Australia but here in America waiters only make $1.25/hour. The rest of their salary solely depends on tips.

Where as the people in the kitchen are paid a regular annual salary.

while that is deplorable, in aus we are all payed equally more or less, where i work, we all earn about the same (depending obviously on age). i earn $15.70 an hour, same as any waiter/waitress. but they still get the tips. everyone is paid a general wage. i'm sure there are places who skimp and dont pay everyone fairly, but as a general rule, were all payed about the same

snehin
Chefs get paid the same as everyone else here, i live in Aus, not america. i'm a dishwasher and i can promise you that if you came here and walked into a kitchen during lunch or dinner rush and said "dishwashers dont do their jobs" you'd get bashed by us dish washers in the time we have between washing the dishes, cutlery, making meals and cleaning.

we all get paid about the same, waiters dont have to rely on the money from tips to live

we all get paid about the same. infact, i can promise that there are wait staff making more money in my workplace than i am, should we take all their tips and give it to those getting paid less? no, everyone should get a equal share maybe there im sayin here chef are frikkin rich 20% of the companys profit any restaraunt has to hav atleast 4 chefs if so then the otal profit comes down to a share of 70-30 see!

Imaginary
Depends on what kind of resteraunt you go to in India.

snehin
Originally posted by Imaginary
Depends on what kind of resteraunt you go to in India. not really now the laws of the unions are really pickin up fast if ur a chef ur rich no matter wat restaraunts but thts here in my state dont know if its everywhere now this law passed a couple yrs back here!

Jackie Malfoy
We had always tiped waitness and waiters.Maybe the kitchen gets more money then the waitness and waiters there fore not having to be tiped.Or something like that.JM

snehin
Originally posted by Jackie Malfoy
We had always tiped waitness and waiters.Maybe the kitchen gets more money then the waitness and waiters there fore not having to be tiped.Or something like that.JM damn thts really clever!!

Bardock42
Originally posted by snehin
damn thts really clever!!

snehin
Originally posted by Bardock42

wat?!

snehin

none at all!!

Bardock42
Just giving my opinion....I thought you meant it sarcastical

snehin
Just giving my opinion....I thought you meant it sarcastical nope i mean tht was clever like as in she did her homework on this topic!! laughing out loud

Bardock42
OKAY

Imaginary
Bardock, if you're thinking of running away, I'm right behind you shock

bilb

we all get paid about the same. infact, i can promise that there are wait staff making more money in my workplace than i am, should we take all their tips and give it to those getting paid less? no, everyone should get a equal share

Like i said.. this is an American thing. Evidently Australia is different and seeing as how I put myself thru school while working as a waitress in the US I think I know a bit about the subject.. And if we lived ina communist society then fair spliting WOULD be correct but living in a capitalistic society thats just not how it works. Theoretically the wait staff that works harder & handles more orders is tipped more.. there are excpetions of course but this is how is meant to be handled

snehin
Originally posted by bilb
Like i said.. this is an American thing. Evidently Australia is different and seeing as how I put myself thru school while working as a waitress in the US I think I know a bit about the subject.. And if we lived ina communist society then fair spliting WOULD be correct but living in a capitalistic society thats just not how it works. Theoretically the wait staff that works harder & handles more orders is tipped more.. there are excpetions of course but this is how is meant to be handled nope not just in america chefs r rich in my city in south india dont know bout the rest of the country!
not seen it applied there as firmly as in my state and city!

tabby999
Update on my crusade to get tips evenly distributed across to include the kitchen staff:

the other night, one of the waiters called in sick. they couldn't get anyone in to work, so good old tabby puts his hand up and says he could work in the kitchen AND the floor AND the bar if you need him too. so i got called out from the kitchen time and time again, doing work i've never done before, doing my best, pulling beers, serving people, taking dinners to tables, shit i've never had to do before, all while trying to get back to the kitchen to wash dishes and make entrees. end of the night, they split the tips. and tabby? nothing. not a dime. bullshit i say!

Bardock42
I like Reservoir Dogs

tabby999
well put

Jedi_KnightAlly
I used to work as a waiter, and i found the tip division system exceptionally crap. Apparently the tips are being given by the customers to the waiting staff, not to all staff.

Although later on, tips were diveded amongst all staff, unequally of course though.

You would think as a waiter, i shouldn't be complaining as i would be getting tips right?
But Tips only went towards staff doing the restaurant work, not the staff being made to polish cutlery or other backroom work.

X-Woman
Isn't it the law to tip? In the U.S. that is.

Ou Be Low hoo
This is very simply explained...

The cooks gain valuable experience from their working environments, such as recipes, etc. which can then be used at their own restaurant.

The waiters gain no such direction therefore they are rewarded by monetary gain. Any restaurant that pools its tips with the kitchen staff is not a good restaurant.

Clovie

i work in a restaurant/bars kitchen and see waiters who do very little work in comparison to me and some of the guys in the kitchen get tips, sometimes up to , but we slave away making the food that waiters take out to people and get nothing. chefs do apprenticeships for years to be able to do their job and the whole point of the people coming in is for the food they cook, yet they give tips to the people who simply bring the food to their table, not the person who cooked it or the person who worked for hours preping the kitchen for the food to be cooked

it seems to be a horrible double standard, we work just as hard, if not harder, yet receive no tips. why do people feel they need to tip waiters but not the kitchen workers? because chef is not standing over you/behind your back/something like that while are you paying

tabby999
Originally posted by Clovie
because chef is not standing over you/behind your back/something like that while are you paying

good point, nothing like intimidation to get the wallets open wink

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.