College Professors

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Draco69
I read an interesting article that says college professors incite an extremely left-wing bent on their lessons. I noticed this with many of my professors.

Anyone else.

PVS
probably a result of education stick out tongue

debbiejo
They never used to be that way from what I've read...Used to be very conservative and Christian, But they've changed.

Draco69
That generation died out...to be replaced by the 60s hippie generation. Ironic.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by Draco69
I read an interesting article that says college professors incite an extremely left-wing bent on their lessons. I noticed this with many of my professors.

Anyone else.

Where is the article? What is you major? What are these professors teaching?

College is a place where the mind is supposed to open up to new ideas. A place where you learn about things outside your own life. That is a liberal concept.

debbiejo
Though many colleges were established even before...Like the 1700 and earlier, I think..

Draco69
Originally posted by KharmaDog
Where is the article? What is you major? What are these professors teaching?

College is a place where the mind is supposed to open up to new ideas. A place where you learn about things outside your own life. That is a liberal concept.

I think it was a TIME article. Pretty sure.

I have NO idea. But my main concern is money and advancement...so probably business.

Humanities. Psych. Socio. Things of that sort.

WindDancer
Now I have a MAJOR Big Bone to pick with these guys. They feed you their own propaganda and over stuffed you with their political bias during an entire semester of college. They keep pounding you and pounding you with the same liberal/conservative/totalitarian BS year round. It no longer is an education classroom. It becomes a radical political gathering. Even worse some of them include certain material into quizzes or tests to see if you've learn something. And indeed you have...you have learn that College Professors are the biggest facist assholes on the face of the planet.

The ones that get to me the most are those pathetic hippies professors. The ones that protested during the 60's and 70's because they believe in flower power and peace power. Whatever the hell they supported back then they try to bringin it today. And I'm not excluding just the liberal professors also the conservatives are just as bad! They picture you this grand illusion of home a wife and family all in a perfect enviorement of tranquility. Ugh!

All I care about is the material for the course. I don't care whether you approve or disapprove of the government! I'm here to learn and to educate my mind on subject of the class NOT some friggin cause for peace! It pisses me off everytime the godamm professor starts talking about current events or politics. I'm saying to myself "WTF? this is a photography class NOT a friggin Political Science class!!!!!" ARrrhg!!! They get on friggin nerves!

*kicks chair and leaves*

Draco69
Well said. It's all propaganda. No education. I paid my money to learn. Not for political BS.

Ushgarak
A rather large swathe of all education is politicised by teachers, and it is indeed worrying.

jaden101
i took sociology as an extra tagged onto my forensic psychobiology last year and the tutor was a man hating femenist loon...the class had nearly 30 people...about half of which were bitter and jilted crazed man hating divorcees...there were 4 guys including myself...and the rest were better off not turning up cause they made no contribution to the class

it was sheer hell

lil bitchiness
So what?

Are you gonna take everything your professor says and take it as gospel? If so, then you are not intelligent enough to be at the university in the first place.

Draco69
Of course not. It's just rather disturbing and rather annoying. I don't pay thousands of dollars of my money to listen to their own political agenda. I'm here to learn. Unfortunately they tend to twist the issues to their own political views.

This was the worst year for this notion due to the fact it was election year.

"And that's the definition for obsessive-compulisiveness class. Something that Kerry has in abundance."

Actual quote.

shaber
You mean they flaunt it? I have only conversed most with my head of department who knows etiquette really well. Contrast to the departmental secretaries who are of Little Britain calibre!

lil bitchiness
Again, I repeat, so?

I do criminology and sociology, and if my professor, says something that I disagree with based on his point of view, i can challange his view with opposing one. There is always opposing one - social sciences are not concrit and everything can be challanged.

Its not a huge deal.

Besides, we call professors here ''lecturers'' rather than ''teachers'' because they are lecturing us, more than they are teaching.

Thats why there is much reading to be done at university - so you get all sides of the argument on a particular issue. if you rely heavily on professors to learn a topic in detail at university, you are not only gonna fail, but you're not gonna, in the end, know anything on the subject apart from your professors opinion.

BackFire
heh, I remember this last semester I had this wierd teacher for philosophy. And he'd always, at random, go on a tangent about how he hates Bush, and try to equate it to whatever philisophical scholar we were studying at the time, or sometimes he wouldn't even bother trying to equate the two in any reasonable way. It was funny.

Ushgarak
Because teachers are in a position of professional responsibility and it is unethical to try and put across your personal political views to those you are in such a position with.

And despite what you say about them therefore having to be stupid, which is not so, people are affected by that kind of thing.

It's also not just university, it is all over education.

shaber
The younger than university level students are more vulnerable to it thumb up

Fire
Well I only have social sciences as courses, except for damn statstical mathematics, so they have all the reason to be left-winged (Heck I think they all are) but they try not to affect us.

In fact they teach us to be sceptical about everything

Draco69
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Again, I repeat, so?

I do criminology and sociology, and if my professor, says something that I disagree with based on his point of view, i can challange his view with opposing one. There is always opposing one - social sciences are not concrit and everything can be challanged.

Its not a huge deal.

Besides, we call professors here ''lecturers'' rather than ''teachers'' because they are lecturing us, more than they are teaching.

Thats why there is much reading to be done at university - so you get all sides of the argument on a particular issue. if you rely heavily on professors to learn a topic in detail at university, you are not only gonna fail, but you're not gonna, in the end, know anything on the subject apart from your professors opinion.

I wish I could do the same. If someone disagrees with the professor in my classes then he or she better be prepared for a failing grade. The professors (at my school) DON'T give all sides of the issue. Just theirs. The readings support their opinions and the critiques of their opinions in such readings are either poorly written or made fun of by the professor himself.

PVS
professors cant force you to learn their opinion and adhere to it,
and if such bias unrelated questions showed up on a test, you should grab that
test, walk out the door and head to the deans office. that professor will lose their job.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Because teachers are in a position of professional responsibility and it is unethical to try and put across your personal political views to those you are in such a position with.

And despite what you say about them therefore having to be stupid, which is not so, people are affected by that kind of thing.

It's also not just university, it is all over education.

People at university are not children, and compolury education of people under 18 is complitely and utterly a different thing.

People at university were supposed to be academics - if they are persuaded easely by someone elses opinion, then what kind of academics are they?

Besides, writing a report of any kind with an one sided argument, anyone at university will tell you is an automatic fail, therefore, in order for them to get anywhere with education, they are all going to have to do the ''indipendent study'' which what University is all about. Indipendent research and study, with the both side of the fence.

I had a functionalist sociology lecturer for 2 years, and I am still not convinced that any functionalst ideas can explain society properly.

Draco69
Wish we could...but they have tenure. I REALLLLLLY hate tenure.

PVS
Originally posted by Draco69
Wish we could...but they have tenure. I REALLLLLLY hate tenure.

to forsake curriculum and base the grading system on political ideals as opposed to the subject, and providing written proof of such in the form of a test is proof of a direct violation of teacher's ethics. tenure protects dysfunctional professors unfortunately, but in the case of such a violation as this i doubt it would.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by PVS
professors cant force you to learn their opinion and adhere to it,
and if such bias unrelated questions showed up on a test, you should grab that
test, walk out the door and head to the deans office. that professor will lose their job.

I doubt that would happen. The questions have to aquire certain standard. Seniors monitor junior professors, who are also monitored. For most part, no questions would ever ask you to describe a theory of any kind - it will most probably ask you to apply certain theory to something, or to make an arguement. You can't make an argument with only one side of the argument.

PVS
Originally posted by WindDancer
Even worse some of them include certain material into quizzes or tests to see if you've learn something.

actually, i was referring to this comment...sorry for the confusion

Ushgarak
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
People at university are not children, and compolury education of people under 18 is complitely and utterly a different thing.

People at university were supposed to be academics - if they are persuaded easely by someone elses opinion, then what kind of academics are they?

Besides, writing a report of any kind with an one sided argument, anyone at university will tell you is an automatic fail, therefore, in order for them to get anywhere with education, they are all going to have to do the ''indipendent study'' which what University is all about. Indipendent research and study, with the both side of the fence.

I had a functionalist sociology lecturer for 2 years, and I am still not convinced that any functionalst ideas can explain society properly.

I am well aware they are not children. However, it is still a breach of professional ethics to bring any of your own political views into your teaching- yet this still happens.

And why point out that under 18 (though you mean under 16) is a different thing? I know that too, and my point is that it happens there as well.

And people get influenced by people they see in authority- at any age. This is much of the point. That is why professional standards exist so such things are not abused.

And just because level 4 educational standards require a critical approach to argument, that makes absolutely no damn difference at all as to whether people get influenced or not. Most people do it just to hoop jump anyway.

End of the day- teachers are told not to do this, yet many do. It is a problem. Not an epidemic, but it happens enough to be annoying. Instead of seeing their job as a service to be delivered, they see classes as a canvas to paint their views on.

It should stop.

Lana
I actually never have had any problems with teachers only talking about one side of an issue. My one government teacher was very much anti-Bush (he called himself jokingly a communist) but during class would present both sides of everything. In my philosophy class I took last semester, my teacher would present information for both sides of the issue and argue them as if she equally believed in both; she wouldn't even tell us where she stood on it until the lecture was over (and this was very important, to present it unbiased, because it was an ethics class). In my other classes politics has never really come up.

If it's something that bothers you, then you should talk to the professor or the dean...but frankly that's easier said than done, because first of all you have the problem of finding a time when you CAN talk to them, and telling a teacher that you don't like their methods can be troublesome. I've known other people who've had teachers who would take off points simply because the student disagreed with them (over something completely irrelevant).

jaden101
students and universities have historically been a bastion of left wing political ideas and expressions...

this wont change... personally my being a student and a right wing one it makes certain parts of university life a little bit irrelevant but i will support the NUS(national union of students) in matters that i believe regardless of their overall political bias

as for lecturers and tutors expressing their own political agenda...i see nothing wrong with it if it makes the learning experience more profound for the learner... as some people have already mentioned in this thread...if you dont agree with a political viewpoint then you can challenge it

even though the point isn't particularly valid in the course i now do which is forensic science...as science is much less political and more fact based until we start debating certain aspects of morals in science such as genetic modification and the like

Fishy
I don't really see the problem, I agree with my teachers on tons of things and always end up going into long debates with them. Its fun it makes you learn some stuff and its actually challenging. If a teacher can get you to debate something then you are learning a lot more then if you are just listening. Maybe its because my teachers are all willing to listen to my opinion or maybe its a whole different attitude here. But I really do not see the problem.

Fire
I'm with Ush professors and teachers should refrain from giving their own political opinions to their students, unless specifically asked (and even then they have to be careful). Cause even if most students are not affected by this, chances are that some will be and that shouldn't happen.

Now if people are interested in political opinions they should take some political classes. My professor of politology never gave us his political opinions (and in Belgium everyone has political opinions).
But he still managed to keep the class very interesting, he always gave us all the facts on each ideology without demonizing one or excluding another. If someone had a problem with something he said or something in the text book they were encouraged to start a debate about it.

Tho it rarely happens in a room with 400 students

lil bitchiness
Professor and a teacher are complitely different and it is rather ridiculous to put them in the same category - a lecturer is a researcher on a particualr topic - he has his own field and his own theory which he argues and it is absolutely logical that during the lecture where he is presenting something that he is researching about to present his or her opinion.

University is not a compulsary education. People CHOOSE to be there. Under 16s or even 18s have a compulsary education which should not be influenced with random political thought of teacher. University is NOT compulsary.
People are at university under the assumption that they have the ability to THINK with their OWN heads. If they can't, they certainly are not fit enough to be at university.

Fire
(My bad I didn't know there was a difference heck I don't even care)
University is indeed not compulsary but it is not because ppl think they have the ability to think with their own heads that they effectively have that ability.

Now indeed they shouldn't be at uni if they can't think for themselves, however they are there (and unless some law expells them) Professors will have to take them into consideration.

It ain't cause they aren't supposed to be there that the professor has the right to ignore the consequences of his actions against them

WindDancer
And another thing about this whole College Professor issue. What really friggin annoys the hell outta me are those idiotic teachers pets. All they do is kiss ass and accept anything these clowns throw at them. You have an objection and those morons attack you and reply with their typical comments "But I agree with what Professor blah, blah, blah, and blah has to say..." Bah! They should all burn in hell.

Fire
Never seen that happen in Belgium, but as I said having class with 400 students at the same time tends to make everyone shut up

WindDancer
Bah! No one pays attention to Belgium. stick out tongue

Nice Fluffy wink

Bardock42
Originally posted by WindDancer
And another thing about this whole College Professor issue. What really friggin annoys the hell outta me are those idiotic teachers pets. All they do is kiss ass and accept anything these clowns throw at them. You have an objection and those morons attack you and reply with their typical comments "But I agree with what Professor blah, blah, blah, and blah has to say..." Bah! They should all burn in hell.

I can very much imagine those people....they deserve some mayor beating.

Fire
THX WD I got it from Storm

Capt_Fantastic
I just happen to be sitting in class. thus far, I've not encountered too many problems with any college professors I've had. However, I had a huge problem with a high school teacher I had. In my senior year, the theology dept got a new head. She was the teacher of senior world religions...a required class in my catholic school. Now, there is a matter of fact regarding religions. You can ask a question on a test that deals with a fact about religion, like what does a hindu believe about cows. But, when you ask a question...multiple questions...that involve your opinion about a religion, then there is no right or wrong answer. However, this particular teacher wanted a catholic spin on every answer. She expected you to recall what comments she had made about a particular aspect of a religion in regards to catholicism and then repeat her beliefs on the test. Long story short, she wanted us to be good little catholic puppets and spew HER beliefs all over the page. It was really just her need to feel justified, to feel like she'd made a positive impact on the world. stupid *****.

Fire
in high school I had teachers like that too

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.