Thoughts on the upcoming new Mangler film?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

HockeyFace
So is anyone feeling good about the new mangler film? I haven't seen the first two (seems they don't merit a third movie though considering the bad reviews), but I will definately be renting the third for a review. It doesn't look like it going to be too bad. I mean it is going to have Reggie Banister (Reggie from Phantasm!) as a crook and Jeff Burr (director of TCM3) in a cameo.

papabeard
The first 2 are awful

Pandemoniac
They actually made a sequel???

eggmayo
I've never heard of Mangler erm

Pandemoniac
Oh it's terrible, despite the fantastic crew responsible for it.
Based on a short story by Stephen King, directed by Tobe Hooper and starring Robert Englund!
It's about a gigantic laundry-press that gets possessed by some sort of evil spirit and starts devouring people, squashing and folding them up nicely. A lone cop and a librarian kinda guy start getting clues that the deaths are more then just accidents and try to stop the evil machine.
Where this all went wrong is the fact that the original story is pretty short, and not remotely as good as King's other works. Somehow they do did get the idea that it could me smeared over a 1.5 hour movie, and in order to fill up that time we get lots of weary dialogues, bad acting, silly side plots and other pointless scenes not adding anything worth full.
The gore is good though! You can still watch it fast forwarding from one death-scene to the next and have a amusing 15 minutes.

papabeard
Just about to say that..............

www.imdb.com/title/tt0113762/

eggmayo
Originally posted by Pandemoniac
Oh it's terrible, despite the fantastic crew responsible for it.
Based on a short story by Stephen King, directed by Tobe Hooper and starring Robert Englund!
It's about a gigantic laundry-press that gets possessed by some sort of evil spirit and starts devouring people, squashing and folding them up nicely. A lone cop and a librarian kinda guy start getting clues that the deaths are more then just accidents and try to stop the evil machine.
Where this all went wrong is the fact that the original story is pretty short, and not remotely as good as King's other works. Somehow they do did get the idea that it could me smeared over a 1.5 hour movie, and in order to fill up that time we get lots of weary dialogues, bad acting, silly side plots and other pointless scenes not adding anything worth full.
The gore is good though! You can still watch it fast forwarding from one death-scene to the next and have a amusing 15 minutes.
So its basically Trucks (Maximum Overdrive) quality?

Pandemoniac
Worse, Maximum Overdrive had some humor at times and at least made the viewer care for the characters a little. And it had some degree of tension to it and last but not least... AC/DC soundtrack!
The Mangler is stripped of all these sparse qualities

eggmayo
Originally posted by Pandemoniac
Worse, Maximum Overdrive had some humor at times and at least made the viewer care for the characters a little. And it had some degree of tension to it and last but not least... AC/DC soundtrack!
The Mangler is stripped of all these sparse qualities
AC/DC droolio

ragesRemorse
Mangler was one of stephen king's worst stories. He doesnt have many so why focus a movie around one of them, and why spew out two sequals?

Pandemoniac
Eeeh, not many stories? He has written nearly 50 books, among which there were at least 6 being a bundle of short stories, approximately 10 stories each.
The fact remains that to much of his lesser work finds it's way to become a movie, instead of the truly intriguing tales.

papabeard
i think he meant he doesnt have many bad stories.....

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by papabeard
i think he meant he doesnt have many bad stories.....

yes

Pandemoniac
Oooh, my bad! Sorry

BREN
the mangler is/has got to be 1 of the biggest steaming piles of unadulterated horse shit ever,and the fact theyve made sequels to it just goes to prove there is always gonna be hope for us horror fans cos if ppl can finance crap like this they will jump at the chance to finance decent movies smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.