About Emperor's lightsaber remark.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Red Superfly
In Return Of The Jedi, when Luke is brought to the Emperor, he looks at Luke's new saber.

He says: "Much like your fathers".

Erm.....no it isn't. It looks more like Obi-Wan's, and the beam is green. Nothing like it, in fact.

Discuss.

Fishy
Sidious was old and his eyes fried... He couldn't clearly see the lightsaber...

Or maybe just the fact that it was a lightsaber

Human Vader
yeah, anakins lightsaber design is strongly based off of obi wans

Boris
Is that sarcasm? His saber looks nothing like it, it's been commented on that most Padawans try to base their design on their Masters out of respect, yet Anakin did not.....

DeVi| D0do
Senility strikes again!

DenKi
Very True can anyone post pics of the sabreS?

Darth Travizzle
I really don't care.

Ogami Itto
Originally posted by Darth Travizzle
I really don't care.

**** off then!!!

PVS
the lightsaber style and color was irrelevant. noticed he said the "weapon of a jedi" when vader carries one as well. the emporer was only drawing the comparrison to remind luke that he was able to control his father, to eat away at his hope.

in other words, i dont think he was referring to the blue saber, but to vaders sith saber.

matreid
The guys an old cripple. He cant tell the difference.

ZoSo
Originally posted by PVS
the lightsaber style and color was irrelevant. noticed he said the "weapon of a jedi" when vader carries one as well. the emporer was only drawing the comparrison to remind luke that he was able to control his father, to eat away at his hope.

in other words, i dont think he was referring to the blue saber, but to vaders sith saber.

Exactly.

The full-line is:
"Ah, yes. A Jedi's weapon. Much like your father's. By now you must know that your father can never be turned from the Dark Side. So will it be with you."

He was using it as a blank-inferrence on how he twisted Anakin into Vader, and how he would do the same with Luke, no matter of his Jedi weapon.

Saberstylemasta
If it wasn't for the fact that i can't post links till i am more known, I'd be able to put down every main charactors lightsaber.

adamrubin
Originally posted by Saberstylemasta
If it wasn't for the fact that i can't post links till i am more known, I'd be able to put down every main charactors lightsaber.

PM to someone and they can post them

Lord Chariol
Luke's lightsaber in ROTJ bears a striking resemblance to Obi-Wan's in Episode III and IV. It is that old WWII British hand grenade. Vader's lightsaber was "much like" Anakin's former lightsaber, only some added black to the hilt and of course a red blade.

amity75
Originally posted by Red Superfly
In Return Of The Jedi, when Luke is brought to the Emperor, he looks at Luke's new saber.

He says: "Much like your fathers".

Erm.....no it isn't. It looks more like Obi-Wan's, and the beam is green. Nothing like it, in fact.

Discuss. Dude I'm so with you and I've been meaning to start a thread on this for ages. It's always bugged me.

AmrothSkywalker
Here is Luke's

AmrothSkywalker
And Obi-wans

AmrothSkywalker
And Vader's (only ESB version)

Ragnarok_AU
cbf reading that but

if he had a blaster, called it a lightsaber, "much like your fathers" then it would be a bit ****ed up.
Seeing only 1 sith and 1 jedi using lightsaber at the time, its the closest comparison

Stealth Agent
Vader's doesn't look like anybodys? Lukes and Ben's look similar.
Anyone got a pic of Anakin/Luke's lightsaber.

AmrothSkywalker
Anakins is actually different than Luke's idk why but they changed it even though its the same saber. But Luke's changes from ANH to ESB too which i also think is stupid. But Anakin's has gold plating on the activation box and around the switch area it is not smooth. Also the button near the emitter is a different color. The only difference from ANH to ESB is that the activation box changes from bubbles to a ridged plate. Darth vader's lightsaber from Ep III looks nothin like any of his others(its gay) between ANH and ESB only one thing changes, red crystals near the emitter in the ESB version. It does bear a small resemblance to the skywalker lightsaber. the grips are alike, the style of emitter, the activation box area is the same except for color. Here's Anakin's(Bottom) and Luke's(ANH,top).

AmrothSkywalker
Here is a comparison of Luke's ANH and ESB lightsabers. As you can see the circuit board for the activation switch and the screws in the grips are the only difference.

mossman
Blimey.
Look at the whole quote in context, not just a clipped piece of dialogue.

Palpatine is subtly changing the subject, he is linking the saber to discussion of Luke and his father.

VADER: "His lightsaber."

Vader extends a gloved hand toward the Emperor, revealing Luke's lightsaber. The Emperor takes it.

EMPEROR: "Ah, yes, a Jedi's weapon. Much like your father's. By now you must know your father can never be turned from the dark side. So will it be with you."

He means the weapons are similar simply because they are lightsabers - the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
This weapon is your life.
Just as he has Vader eating out of his hand, now he too holds Luke's saber - his life - in his hands. It is only a matter of time.
That is the connection he is making.
You have a lightsaber, just like your father - that is not all you have in common, you are on the same path, you belong to me now.

AmrothSkywalker
I know but the people asked for pictures so I gave em pictures! lol but yeah I totally agree with you mossman

kanis
alien Luke's return of the jedi is not the same as vader's its a longer version of obi wan's because he created that lightsaber from an instruction manual he found in obi wan's homestead so it must be more like obi wan's.

AmrothSkywalker
Yeah we already figured that one out.

kanis
alien But I'm saying that it doesn't fully look like obi wan its his lightsaber anyway and the question is how did he know where to get the proper crystals for his lightsaber and would vader know what he was looking for if he knew luke was going to build his own lightsaber?

mossman
Originally posted by kanis
alien But I'm saying that it doesn't fully look like obi wan its his lightsaber anyway and the question is how did he know where to get the proper crystals for his lightsaber and would vader know what he was looking for if he knew luke was going to build his own lightsaber?

Why would Lucas be concerned with explaining any of those things?
They are not part of the films they are part of the EU.
As far as we are concerned there are no crystals ever mentioned, seen or refered to in the movies, so they may as well not exist.
We don't know how Luke builds his saber, and the scene in Ben's Hut was never filmed.

Luke's lightsaber is much like Vader's not in looks, but in as much as what it represents - it is the weapon of a Jedi.
That is all Palpatine is saying to seague neatly into the comparison between Luke and his father both being the same too - they both belong to Palpatine now...

muserke
For good images of the lightsabers visit http://masterreplicas.com/customer/starwars/starwars_category.php

kanis
alien But that's what the EU is there for to fill in the missing gaps on what they do before the main stories from empire strikes back to return of the jedi, thenn perhaps why did lucas not make shadows of the empire a star wars film when in both special editions you clearly see the outrider leaving mos esley space port in a new hope, explain that.

PVS
ffs do you fanboys have to pick every line apart and misinterpret?
he wasnt saying "this lightsaber looks just like your father's"
he said " a Jedi's weapon. Much like your father's."
he was just speaking figuratively. its a little something called 'depth'
and if you cant grasp that then you should
just stick to star trek for precious technicalities.

i should have known i would find posts of lightsaber pictures for comparison
upon return. man you just dont get it. messed

mossman
Originally posted by kanis
alien But that's what the EU is there for to fill in the missing gaps on what they do before the main stories from empire strikes back to return of the jedi, thenn perhaps why did lucas not make shadows of the empire a star wars film when in both special editions you clearly see the outrider leaving mos esley space port in a new hope, explain that.

I admit that, in recent years, LFL has kept the EU on a much shorter leash - with novels such as Labyrinth of Evil being written specifically to tie in with the SW canon and with access to the ROTS script itself.

That does not take anything away from the fact that the EU is nothing more than branch of movie merchandising.
It is just another way of making money from the films.

Of course, it is tempting to view the EU as a natural extension of what we see in the films themselves.
In reality, they are just various artists from various media using the Galaxy Far, Far Away as a hook to hang their own ideas on.
Lucas can, will and has completely ignored on numerous occasions, things which were established in the EU.

The vast majority of EU is very entertaining, but utterly pointless at the same time.
The movies are canon.
Everything else is, or may as well be, not.

kanis
alien Should a different shadows of the empire movie be made because Dash Rendar rules!

SithHappens
He was refering not to appearance but to what it was. End of story.

Tulak Hord
Originally posted by mossman
As far as we are concerned there are no crystals ever mentioned, seen or refered to in the movies, so they may as well not exist.

If that's so, then what creates the beam of energy? The crystals don't HAVE to be mentioned. They are the most essential part of the lightsaber. And maybe Ben kept some in his hut. This is what gets me. Every little detail just has to be mentioned, otherwise it doesn't exist in some peoples minds.

jeedai_moyco
Who cares if they don't look the same, watch the movie, if you like it so be it, if ya don't burn in hell...but no matter what ya do lukes isn't going to look anymore like vaders..

dumb topic

InsaneNoodlyGuy
The crystals are mentioned in the Visual dictionary. Considering how Lucas helped work on those, I consider the crystals canon and anything else said in the Visual dictionaries canon.

I go off the assumption that anything in EU (at least since Zahn) is cannon until Lucas says otherwise or something in the movies contradicts it. Which, I emphasize here before I'm flamed, is my own opinion. But still, I think we can accept the crystals.

... Chewie dies and Yuuzhan vong rock! *flees for his life*

theredbaron
Originally posted by PVS
ffs do you fanboys have to pick every line apart and misinterpret?
he wasnt saying "this lightsaber looks just like your father's"
he said " a Jedi's weapon. Much like your father's."
he was just speaking figuratively. its a little something called 'depth'
and if you cant grasp that then you should
just stick to star trek for precious technicalities.

i should have known i would find posts of lightsaber pictures for comparison
upon return. man you just dont get it. messed

I agree with you completely. Star Wars isn't great because of 'Star Trekky' technicalities - it's great because it's an Epic Heroic Tale. Star Wars was written as a mythological space fantasy, not a sci-fi nerd-fest.

Sesse
Vader's lightsaber seems to be more similar to Qui Gons desingn, than Obi ones thing.

Qui Gon's saber
http://fxhome.com/alamdv2/plugins/rawfiles/1339/large

Darth Vader's saber
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=4280921

Of course they aren't too similar, but there seems to be some similar points and details, that aren't found in Obi ones hilt..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.