talking about jedi religon

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

General Koon
has anybody heard about 'jedi' becoming a religon

Darth_Rankkor
Nope but, if that happens, I'll be founding a SITH religion evil face

NoFate007
Yeah I've heard about this...there's a lot of nutcases out there that put that down on the census for their actual religion. Enough that it may some day, if the numbers climb, have to be recognized as an official religion...however this just proves how idiotic people are. Its a movie. Yes, its very entertaining, and its a great movie, but its a movie....

jerlark386
Originally posted by NoFate007
Yeah I've heard about this...there's a lot of nutcases out there that put that down on the census for their actual religion. Enough that it may some day, if the numbers climb, have to be recognized as an official religion...however this just proves how idiotic people are. Its a movie. Yes, its very entertaining, and its a great movie, but its a movie....

Not that I support the Jedi religion or its followers, but strictly speaking, Christianity is a book. Just a book.

Ushgarak
This is a commonly held myth. No census response can create a religion.

palpy_666
There is an officially organized Jedi and Sith religion. The Jedi religion has no formal site (it was deleted a while ago). However, the official Sith religion's site is: www.sithism.com

Sithism is cool. In fact, I consider myself a real life Sith.

Director_Joe
There was a Jediism website but I think it doesn't work anymore... no more money to run the site i suppose...

Ogami Itto
this is ok in my book!! if u could actually USE THE FORCE IN REAL LIFE!!!!!!!

Ken Kenobi
Originally posted by Ushgarak
This is a commonly held myth. No census response can create a religion.

And why not? A religion is a belief, you can say anything is a religion.

Now if you had worded that as saying: "This is a commonly held myth. No census response can create an officially recognised religion." Then it would have had some credibility.

Echuu
This "Sithism" religion is quite silly. Here is a list of their "aims;"

EDIT- oops, guess im not supposed to copy these without consent

TraptUnderIce
I saw it on MTV that this was a myth on the Real Life Myth Show.

General Koon
where i live I've seen little kids and adults walking in Jedi gear

Darth_Rankkor
Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs. If someone wants to follow something based on a movie I say let them.

DarthMandalore
Why call it "Sithism" and "Jediism" thats very... detracting from their cool names...

DarthMandalore
Originally posted by palpy_666
There is an officially organized Jedi and Sith religion. The Jedi religion has no formal site (it was deleted a while ago). However, the official Sith religion's site is: www.sithism.com

Sithism is cool. In fact, I consider myself a real life Sith.

om my gawd. have you been to that site? they claim that" The jedi and sith have been around for years, but noone (not even themselves) knew about them until GL made SW..." they also want to go to parties with jedi, they... just go to "Site aims" and you'll see...

Justice Pie
What's wrong with 'Jedism' becoming a religion?
True, it would be a religion based off of a movie, but honestly, where do you think Lucas got the inspiration from?

I can already see influences ranging from Japanese Samurai and Christianity. The Golden Rule, turn the other cheek...etc. Do your very best and strive to put others before yourself.

I understand that criticizing something is easier than trying to comprehend it, but it just goes to show how truly uneducated some people are.

DarthMandalore
well, this "jedi's" have taken it to a different level. they've left the SW field and are into the "pot smokers" world, some of their beliefes are just plain stupid.

Cybervader
hmm i really think the whole think was started right from the beginning..from the first film episode IX, a new hope.

remember those ppl in the battle station discussing bout the power of the new Death star:

"...this station is now the ultimate power in the universe!"

VADER: "Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force."

"Don't try to frighten us with your sorceress's ways Lord Vader. Your sad devotion to the ANCIENT RELIGION does not help u conjure up the stolen datatapes..or given u clairvoyance enuff to find the rebels hidden fortress. (choked by Vader using the Force)"

"I find your lack of Faith disturbing"

Hmm..so faith in the living Force..Faith as in Faith itself..or the Force as a Faith? smile

Justice Pie
Originally posted by Cybervader
hmm i really think the whole think was started right from the beginning..from the first film episode IX, a new hope.

remember those ppl in the battle station discussing bout the power of the new Death star:

VADER: "Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force."

"Don't try to frighten us with your sorceress's ways Lord Vader. Your sad devotion to the ANCIENT RELIGION does not help u conjure up the stolen datatapes..or given u clairvoyance enuff to find the rebels hidden fortress. (choked by Vader using the Force)"

Hmm..so faith in the living Force..Faith as in Faith itself..or the Force as a Faith? smile

Right on Cybervader! \m/

LordSorgo
Originally posted by Cybervader

The force is everything, and everything is the force.

Ushgarak
Originally posted by Ken Kenobi
And why not? A religion is a belief, you can say anything is a religion.

Now if you had worded that as saying: "This is a commonly held myth. No census response can create an officially recognised religion." Then it would have had some credibility.

What total nonsense!

Whether it is in a census or not has no effect on whether it is a belief or not! So by your wording, the census response is STILL totally irrelevant.

So my statement 100% stands. What an odd thing to say!

This whole association that has been made with saying 'Jedi' on your census has always been total bilge, and believed only by the oddly credulous.

Besides which, to say that simply believing in something creates a religion is a very trivial way of looking at religion. At any objective position by which a religion is defined in this world, that is not sufficient.

Justice Pie
What total nonsense!

Whether it is in a census or not has no effect on whether it is a belief or not! So by your wording, the census response is STILL totally irrelevant.

This whole association that has been made with saying 'Jedi' on your census has always been total bilge, and believed only by the oddly credulous.

Besides which, to say that simply believing in something creates a religion is a very trivial way of looking at religion. At any objective position by which a religion is defined in this world, that is not sufficient.
how dare you use relevance and logic here!
*finger wag*

Cybervader
Oh i noticed i wrote a mistake..A new hope is episode IV (4), not IX (9)..hahaz.

Justice Pie
After searching 'Jedi Religion' I came across several threads focusing on the subject.

I figured I would post it here cause I've already posted in this one. I found this interesting. Anyone got plans to move to Romania?

http://www.explorefaith.org/news/05_17_05.html

http://www.christianwisdomofthejedimasters.com/index.php?cat=1

Ken Kenobi
What total nonsense!

Religion IS a belief, where do you think they all came from? One person starts a religion and starts coming up with cokamamey ideas, others believe him and they start following this "religion".

I'm not saying that this Jedi religion is real or not, it's stupid IMO.

Darth Travizzle
Originally posted by jerlark386
Not that I support the Jedi religion or its followers, but strictly speaking, Christianity is a book. Just a book.
Christianity is SO much more than a book. And besides the Bible is a book. And that's more than just a book. It's God's word.

Dude Vader

darth-yoda
i like the idea of a sith and jedi religion i want a religion but i cant find the right one i dont no maybe i will follow the sith religion and what about rastaferianisim is that how you spell it is that a religon

Dude Vader
correct on both counts. You go with what you believe in. And may the force be with you

TRSundown
Originally posted by jerlark386

Ahh lets back off of the religious thing right now... I'm not a moderator but this discussion does not belong in here...

Stick to the reference of the Jedi and Sith religious discussion...

And on that note... The Jedi religion has been around for over 1000years right here on earth... They are called the Shaolin Monks.

Justice Pie
Originally posted by TRSundown
Ahh lets back off of the religious thing right now... I'm not a moderator but this discussion does not belong in here...

Stick to the reference of the Jedi and Sith religious discussion...

And on that note... The Jedi religion has been around for over 1000years right here on earth... They are called the Shaolin Monks.
God I love them monks.

Ken Kenobi
Them Monks need to build me a lightsaber then. schmoll

Justice Pie
Originally posted by Ken Kenobi
Them Monks need to build me a lightsaber then. schmoll
Right after midday meditation and bamboo shucking, they'll get to it. wink

jaden101
it did make the UK census but they were quick to point out that it DID NOT make it a recognised religion

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1589133.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2757067.stm

where as in Argentina...they quite rightly have religion based on Diego Maradona laughing

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/2396503.stm

Sesse
All ye, who hear. Come to Finland!

There you'll meet master Kars Skywalker. The Jedi master, who instructed me....

http://www.kolumbus.fi/jedi.akatemia/englanninkielinenpaasivu.htm

Justice Pie
http://www.explorefaith.org/news/05_17_05.html

http://www.christianwisdomofthejedimasters.com/index.php?cat=1

Just reiterating.
Also, this is one of the best descriptions of the Jedi, that I have ever heard/read.

"Jedi are not moralists. That's a common misperception. We are fundamentally pragmatic . The Jedi is altruistic less because to be so is good, than because to be so is safe: to use the Force for personal ends is dangerous. This is the trap that can snare even the most good, kind, caring Jedi: it leads to what we call the dark side. Power to do good eventually becomes just power..." -Shatterpoint Matthew Stover

liam k
i have always dreamed that the jedi be reconised as a religion and that an acadmy be built, and those who wanted peace and justice would join. And in time a republic be built on earth.

YEAH SO YOU THINK I 'M A NUT?

Fishy
Well yeah Peace would suck

Darth Plagues
The entire Sithism thing is really retarted. You have to swear to protect the dark side. If you ask me its kind of Satanic. (I don't mean to sound preachy) But swearing to protect the dark side is a little far out there. Look some of these nut cases might think they are truly a "Sith" and go off killing people...so they can fulfil their destiny as a Sith Lord.

Fishy
The funny thing is, if it was a true Sith religion shouldn't they be killing each other to get higher in rank?

Darth Plagues
ITS ONLY A MOVIE YOU CRAZY NUT CASES!!!

liam k
Maybe i just a bigger fan than you eh?

Darth Syko
i am a sith. i have my own website based on the sith religion

liam k
the only decent sith was Reven, and what's your website?

Master Fisto
while i respect other people's beliefs, i must say...this is the most retarded thing I have ever freaking heard of...the site is just too bad.

Thorleif
Basically, the Jedi religion (as I understand it) is a pantheistic religion that just believes there is an energy ("Force"wink that is everywhere, and that being both practical and unselfish are good attributes. They call themselves Jedi simply because it's a term that anyone who has seen the movies (which is a lot of people) will generally understand, with regards to how they view the world.

The Sith religion, I think, was either made by angry people who think being a Jedi is too strict, or someone making fun of the Jedi religion without understanding that it's just a modern re-interpretation of a concept that is several millennia old. The first couple of examples of similar ideas that come to mind are "chi" and the Tao.

I'm pretty sure anyone who claims to be able to move things with their mind, or Force-choke people, etc., would be laughed at by the Jedi community.

Using a modern cultural phenomenon to explain their ideas was a good idea that seems to have backfired because people won't take the time to understand what they're saying.

Also, to the person who compared the Sith religion to Satanism, you should know that Satanists don't worship the devil, but use the word "satan" in its original sense, of meaning "enemy," because they see the Christian religion's power over the world as oppressive, and stand against it.

That said, I'm neither Jedi, nor Sith, nor Christian, nor Satanist. My personal religion will be left out of this discussion, as it has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Anyway... Dancing banana! Happy Dance

Thorleif
Originally posted by liam k
the only decent sith was Reven, and what's your website?

Hey, hey, hey!

Zekk was pretty awesome...

Red Nemesis
Welcome to KMC!
@ your double post:
1. This was a well handled bump, at least with your first post. It re-used an old thread to discuss a major topic, (so you can't be yelled at for spamming new threads) and it made a valid contribution to the discussion (so you can't be yelled at for necromancy).

2. A word to the wise (how I hate myself for using that expression)- unnecessary additions of smilies to posts, especially by a new member will result in group pwning (of you). The banana, while unexpected, was neither humorous nor pertinent. Watch that.

3. There is little point in replying to the old portion of this discussion- these comments were made more than three years ago. If you view the thread as only beginning with your post then you will be taken much more seriously. Again, this is just to prevent accusations of unnecessary necromancy.

4. Vader and Palpatine were far cooler than Revan, and Maul gives them both a run for their money.

5. Jedism seems like a generally benign attempt at humanism, so I approve. (Which makes it great.)

6. Sithism (why can't we just use Jedi/Sith? -ism seems like useless baggage) is rightly identified as a misguided attempt at either rebellion against the Jedi or the need for symmetry in the real world incarnations of Star Wars religion. The former is unlikely, because as far as I can tell, the RW religions have nothing to do with each other, save for their shared heritage in ANH. The latter is therefore the more likely origin. It has a higher appeal for nerdy kids (like us) who don't want to be Satanists (because they suck) ((EDIT: Satanists are the ones what were doin' the sukin in this gramatically vague and painfull sentence)) but want to pay homage to one of the better SciFi universes yet created.

Rogue Jedi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jedi_census_phenomenon

Happy_Sith
That would be very stupid, but it is certainly as sensible as any other religion, so it cannot be thrown out on the grounds that it makes no sense.

Thorleif
Originally posted by Happy_Sith
That would be very stupid, but it is certainly as sensible as any other religion, so it cannot be thrown out on the grounds that it makes no sense.

I sense a raving atheist in the nearby vicinity. laughing

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Thorleif
I sense a raving atheist in the nearby vicinity. laughing Or agnostic. Or apatheist. Don't tag so frivolously. Silly rabbit.

Alkaselzer
What a warm welcoming party. Welcome to KMC, Thorleif. Enjoy your stay.

Interesting contribution you made, kind of fun to try casting the Star Wars religions in a real light.

Happy_Sith
Originally posted by Happy_Sith

Everyone is an atheist in regard to some religion.

Final Blaxican
Nah.

Red Nemesis
Originally posted by Final Blaxican
Nah.

Well, it was phrased poorly (Richard Dawkins has too many copycats that tend to butcher his points) but it is technically true. You deny the existence of Zeus, Jupiter, Odin, Krishna, Islamic baby Jesus etc. So do I. I just go one further and disbelieve Christian baby jesus. We're not that different, really. (Except that I am great. You? Not so much.)

Final Blaxican
No I don't.

I believe all gods are real. smile

Happy_Sith
Originally posted by Red Nemesis
Well, it was phrased poorly (Richard Dawkins has too many copycats that tend to butcher his points) but it is technically true. You deny the existence of Zeus, Jupiter, Odin, Krishna, Islamic baby Jesus etc. So do I. I just go one further and disbelieve Christian baby jesus. We're not that different, really. (Except that I am great. You? Not so much.)

If my memory serves me well, it was not teh Dawkins who first used this .

It is often attributed to him however.

Red Nemesis
Originally posted by Final Blaxican
No I don't.

I believe all gods are real. smile

So you are an omnitheist? How does that work out for you when Yahwe says to kill Krishna because He/She/It? got Odin drunk?

As a rule, the monotheistic religions are mutually exclusive- to believe in one you lose the option for the others.

Final Blaxican
Originally posted by Red Nemesis
So you are an omnitheist? How does that work out for you when Yahwe says to kill Krishna because He/She/It? got Odin drunk?

I state that God(s) work in mysterious ways and continue to live in blissful ignorance. smile

Happy_Sith

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.