The Hand of Glory

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

NightCrawler341
Ok, in the second book we all read that Harry messed up with the floo powder and ends up in the wrong place, in the Shop with the Hand of Glory. Now, most people would think it means nothing, yes? I think not. Notice in the movie they edited it down to him just being trapped by the Hand of Glory. Now, this Hand of Glory isn't something JKR made up, and I think I remember what it said it was. A hanged mans hand or something and its curse and it is used to light something. So, people. what do you think the use of the Hand of Glory will be in the future books?

hotsauce6548
Nothing.

NightCrawler341
.............. Hot sauce your really starting to upset me. BACK UP WHAT YOU THINK! Now, what does everyone think?

hotsauce6548
Why am I starting to upset you? Have I done something else to offend you?

Anyway, if you want why I think this, there's no actual reason. That's why I didn't say one. I think the hand thing was just shown as a symbol of the weird and strange stuff that goes on in the Dark Arts.

I don't think it has any other significance.

Don't open a thread that you want people to answer with a whole bunch of evidence at their sides. Sometimes, people just want to share their answer, and not why. You should not get angry at this.

NightCrawler341
Sorry, then. But in a interview about the magic, she says she makes 95% of it up, and 5% isn't. And she brings up, out of everything she could have picked from 5% the Hand of Glory. That means it must have something to do with the Harry Potter books.

hotsauce6548
Ooooooooooooooooooooh yeaaaaaaaaaaaah, I remember you. I also replied to the elf thread and you got made at me for saying 'no.' Seriously though, how else am I supposed to answer. I only say one word replies for things that don't really need evidence or reasons.

i_LoVe_DaNiEl22
i think night crawler might be right. she doesnt put something in there just to be there. take Scabbers for an example. he wasnt only a rat. think about it.

hotsauce6548
Okay, and think about the hundreds of things that have no significance. Pick anything!

NightCrawler341
Ummm.... lets see.... Nevilles toad? Listen, it makes sense that she really brings notice to this item in the book, movie, and in an interview. It has to mean something. And for the elf thread, yes, it could use something to back your opinion up.

TheSun
Don't be ridiculous

hotsauce6548
Neville's toad is something I can actually see being significant. HOWEVER, it is only because yes, she has drawn a lot of attention to Neville, THROGUHOUT ALL OF THE BOOKS. The Hand of Glory was in one book, and there was nothing particularly special about it.

And by the way, if you want the reason why I think Harry does not have elf blood in him, "Harry does not have elf blood in him because there is absolutely no evidence to show that he is.' Does that make you happy? Damn.

NightCrawler341
Well, before book three came out, i'm sure people didn't think that the name Sirius in the first book meant a thing. Just someone who loaned Hagrid a flying motorcycle. The Hand of Glory could be the same as Sirius, could turn out to be important later on. and Likwise with Scabbers.

TheSun
No, don't be ridiculous.

weegie
well, jk only keeps really needed important stuff from the books into the films. like she makes sure certain stuff is in the films - that arenot cut out ya know?? well, if its in the film it has to be of some significance, if not just to make ppl scared and everythin. i think you may be right, it foreshadow something else important in the next books - just because its in the film. however, i dont think it means much, its just a hand - that makes u jump in the film, lol, but it could be, it definatly could be something.....

NightCrawler341
I found out what it does. You make the Hand of Glory hold a candle and it gives light only to the holder. Now, something like that could mean something in future books. Also, she explains what it does in the book (thats where I found it what it does.) Why should she spend time explaining something none important?

hotsauce6548
Interesting... but I still don't think so.

TheSun
Just let it go - no hand of glory nonsense.

NightCrawler341
Originally posted by TheSun
Just let it go - no hand of glory nonsense.

The Sun, if you don't like the discussion down come into this thread. It is thoughts that actually make sense. Please, if you dont like the discussion, whats the point of you coming in. I will always find ways to keep this thread open to there is hard evidence.

TheSun
But there isn't canon evidence whatsoever. JKR mentioned it once.

air
although i can see where your going with these threads, your trying to think of something which Harry discovers in book 2 relates to the Half Blood Prince, i will apologise to you if the hand of glory is this item, i have though about this myself but have come to the conclusion thats its not the hand of glory...although I'm not sure what it is....

TheSun
It's not an item. It's a discovery.

air
ok but he 'discovered' the hand of glory, just because he discovers something doesn't mean its not an item, a discovery can be an item or a piece of information

NightCrawler341
Originally posted by air
although i can see where your going with these threads, your trying to think of something which Harry discovers in book 2 relates to the Half Blood Prince, i will apologise to you if the hand of glory is this item, i have though about this myself but have come to the conclusion thats its not the hand of glory...although I'm not sure what it is....

I see what your saying there. But I think it could be the Hand of Glory. She may have meantioned it once, but she did draw a lot of attention to it when she did.

TheSun
It's not the damn hand of glory, let it go!

NightCrawler341
TheSun, shut the heck up! You know like this talk, no come in! Crap you have no proof it isn't it when I back myself up as much as I can to keep this going. Got it? Don't like the thread, no come in.

hotsauce6548
((Hehehe... at least I replied nicely.))

TheSun
Originally posted by NightCrawler341
TheSun, shut the heck up! You know like this talk, no come in! Crap you have no proof it isn't it when I back myself up as much as I can to keep this going. Got it? Don't like the thread, no come in.

I know this talk? What is that supposed to mean? You can't back yourself up because it isn't important. Waste of time!

weegie
If you think its a "waste of time", dont come on this thread just to say that it is becus its wasting your time, and plus your annoying now. It's a good point..., just because you don't agree, doesn't mean you have to moan about it. Just back of and leave it alone! mad

TheSun
I'm expressing my opinion actually - you know opinions, they can be either positive or negative, for or against. Mine happens to be against. If you find it annoying...DONT READ IT!

NightCrawler341
Oh, at that was a typo. I mean You no like this talk, not You know like this talk.

NightCrawler341
And haven't I been backing myself up? Oh, and if you don't think it is important, say it once. You say it isn't important. Ok, how is it not important? Tell us? Hmm? HMMM?

TheSun
Sure. The hand of Glory was mentioned specifically to demonstrate the sort of shop Harry had landed in, in order to give us a hint that Lucius Malfoy was up to something, and to learn about the other dark magical items he had, thus giving us a hint that about the Riddle Diary. Furthermore, the only reason the hand was mentioned was because Draco asked to have it bought for him, however his father refused and stated something about a broom, I can't quite remember. Finally, Draco's examining of the Hand of Glory led to him searching the shop for other items, almost resulting in the discovery of Harry, thus acumulating suspense. Finally, the only other reason the Hand was even mentioned was in order for the readers to learn that Hermione had beaten Draco on all of the exams, and that Draco's dislike toward those not pure of blood had only intensified since last we saw him. Conclusion; the hand bears no specific relevance to the plot, it was simply a minor creative detour of JKR, whether she liked the idea or just needed a reason to introduce the above points into the story. Sorry, but I still don't understand what you're saying; 'You no like this talk?' Do you mean, 'do you not like this talk?' Now let the hand go!

NightCrawler341
Umm... No? Great reasons, I will say that, but I still think it could mean something. It is something "I" think. And I am going to try and back it up as much as possible till JKR herself comes in here and says it isn't important!

NightCrawler341
That or all the books are done and meantions nothing on the hand or it does meantion the hand it does have a purpose, which I will purposely gloat in your face, TheSun, though I don't like to gloat. I will try and back up my thoughts until one of these two things are done.

TheSun
Haha, well I won't gloat when I'm proved right, because if I did it all the time I would be permanantly gloating. You are just over-analysing the text. My reasons far outweigh yours thus far, and you should come up with a 'proper' reason, other than 'it was just mentioned once therefore it's important.' Flesh-eating slugs were mentioned once - I think one of them is the Half-Blood Prince.

NightCrawler341
Who ever said this had to be in Half-Blood Prince. If I did, I'm sorry. It could also be in the seventh book. Listen, you heard what I said before. I am standing by my ideas until I am proven wrong or right by JKR or the sixth and seventh book comes out without anything about it in it. Plus Sirius's name was meantioned only once in the first book. And I am sure most people didn't really think really hard on that name neither. And I know you will probably say you knew Sirius was going to be important so don't even say it. It could be the same thing for the Hand of Glory.

weegie
Lol. I don't think either of you can really be sure 100% that is is important or unimportant. But the fact remains that it is a possibility!
You gotta remember that this is Harry Potter. You have to over - analyise the text! It has so many clues and everything throughout. The hand of glory represents everything TheSun has said, however it could have other meanings. I must agree that I cannot yet see how it will be valuble in the next books, but there is a chance it could be. I still believe that because it is in the film it is relevent to the future plot or something. The directors always say that they work with JK to make sure the important stuff remains, and that the unimportant gets cut if need be. Because a lot of important stuff has been cut in the films (not the really important stuff, obviously), the fact that this hand remained in the film, shows that it may be important. Most things in the film are like plot points, so the hand could be aswell.

NightCrawler341
I think I have heard that countless times from other people in this thread. O.O And I think you might be repeating yourself there. I will admit that I am not 100% sure it is important, but I have said it may be. Oh, and about telling me to get over the subject, that is like telling me to get over what I believe (religion wise), because both is unproven 100%! I will stand by this idea even if there is 1% chance of it being right, because it could still very much be. And I agree with the film thing, Weegie.

TheSun
If I ever saw any evidence concerning the hand of glory, or religion for that matter, then I would certainly give it some thought. However without some shred of substantial evidence I see little point in believeing in something, as there lies no sense whatsoever in doing so. I had no idea Sirius was going to be in it later, because there was no evidence he was going to be. The Hand of Glory may well be in it later, but I'm sticking 100% to it not being, simply because no-one bar JKR can prove so. Hence why I believe this topic futile. If there was some point of discussion, a chance for people to argue with evidence then it would be interesting. As it stands, there is no chance of that, because we know very little about it. And the movies are all terrible, I wouldn't trust them as far as I think NightCrawler is right.

NightCrawler341
And the movies are all terrible, I wouldn't trust them as far as I think NightCrawler is right.

Harshness.

NightCrawler341
' Flesh-eating slugs were mentioned once - I think one of them is the Half-Blood Prince.

If you would like to see Hagrid killing flesh-eating slugs by all means go ask JKR, i'm sure she will love to tell you the story. But yet they even had Harry look at the tag in the movie, bringing attention to it there, and they didn't have Malfoy bugging about the hand either in the movie, so what would the point of it being in the movie? JKR works alongside the movie, she must have kept it in for some reason, no?

TheSun
If you would like to see Hagrid killing flesh-eating slugs by all means go ask JKR, i'm sure she will love to tell you the story. But yet they even had Harry look at the tag in the movie, bringing attention to it there, and they didn't have Malfoy bugging about the hand either in the movie, so what would the point of it being in the movie? JKR works alongside the movie, she must have kept it in for some reason, no?
The director basically puts things in the movie, and JKR says whether they reveal too much about future plots. Perhaps the director wanted a spookier and darker overture for this particular movie, and the Hand of Glory is a ready-made spooky item.

NightCrawler341
Who knows?

weegie
Well, Now HBP is out, and most people have read it. We know that the hand of glory was indeed an important item, that was brought up again in the book - ha!

NightCrawler341
^.^ Heh. I know I am not a gloater... so i wont gloat..... but still, yea.... I was right soooooo...... pie......... xD

Director_Joe
Right. Well, I don't think it's an EXTREMELY important item but I do think it will come back into play later on in the story.

NightCrawler341
I know not extremely, but it did have a good role. Without it, how would Draco be able to lead the DE.... I never said the Hand of Glory was going to be used for good.

Director_Joe
Who said Malfoy was going to lead the Death Eaters?

NightCrawler341
... Have you finished the book?

NightCrawler341
Because I believe that he was the one holding the Hand of Glory and leading the DE through the darkness.... if you think I was talking about leading them like a leader leader, well, you misunderstood me.

Director_Joe
Because I believe that he was the one holding the Hand of Glory and leading the DE through the darkness.... if you think I was talking about leading them like a leader leader, well, you misunderstood me.

My mistake, next time clarify...

Hermione202
you were right.Things would have been different if They had been able to see Malfoy and the Deatheaters.Originally posted by TheSun
The director basically puts things in the movie, and JKR says whether they reveal too much about future plots. Perhaps the director wanted a spookier and darker overture for this particular movie, and the Hand of Glory is a ready-made spooky item. you were wrong

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.