Watership Down

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BaronOBeefDip
I didn't see any threads about this movie, so I decided to start one. Anyway, I was wondering if anybody else besides me has seen this beautifully done film that was made in the 1970's. Not only is Watership Down my favorite book, it's also my favorite animated film. My favorite character is Bigwig. bunny

shaber
I thought the character designs of Bigwig and the rabbit who tried to stop Hazel and the rest from leaving the original warren were too ugly. Also what were they thinking giving Silverweed's poem to Cowslip? That's getting the characterisation all wrong, honestly! roll eyes (sarcastic)

jaden101
beautiful film...i love sequence of the ghost rabbit jumping off into the mist to "bight eyes" by simon and garfunke...brilliant...watership down and dumo are the greatest animated films ever

jaden101
this scene is the one i mean

http://www.mayfieldiow.freewire.co.uk/watershp/wdf14.jpg

BaronOBeefDip
The ghost rabbit is called the Black Rabbit of Inle. He represents death in the rabbit's religion.

jaden101
Originally posted by BaronOBeefDip
The ghost rabbit is called the Black Rabbit of Inle. He represents death in the rabbit's religion.

cool...didn't know that...haven't watched it in a long time though because i'm not sure if it would be a "rose tinted glasses" film

shaber
The Black Rabbit caused Elahraira to decompose alive.

@F1
My Fav animated movie.

BadKitty
As much as I love this film,my parents let me watch it as a child and it gave me nightmares for years. the scenes with the rabbits dieing in the warren especially...did any one else have nightmares from this movie? by what I understand the book wasn't meant for children either.

cloudi
I saw this film as a young child of about 5. When i saw the rabbits being brutally killed in the warrens i started crying loudly and ran off to my mother. It absolutely horrified me.

Many many years later as an adult I have purchased the 25th anniversary DVD release and sat down and watched the entire movie all the way through without running off terrified half way through.

Absolutely beautiful movie. I found it very sad in parts, very moving and emotionally deep.

My favourite part is also the sequence with the Black Rabbit and "Bright Eyes". Very spiritual.

I really enjoyed how a whole 'rabbit' world was created for this story, with the rabbit religion and their own story of 'creation'. It really helps to set the scene and gives the story a deep and meaningful world in which to take place.

I might add I have never got around to reading the book, but would like to some day.

lil bitchiness
This movie traumatised me as a kid.

shaber
Originally posted by shaber
what were they thinking giving Silverweed's poem to Cowslip? That's getting the characterisation all wrong, honestly! roll eyes (sarcastic)

As I already pointed out, this is inexcusable.

Videociraptor
Originally posted by shaber
As I already pointed out, this is inexcusable.

(Spoilers... If you haven't seen it and plan on renting or something... lol)

I could've lived with those, but I didn't like that they invented Violet just for the purpose of killing her off. You never even really got to know her, so what was the point? And if that was to make it more accurate, seeing as it would not be typical for group of male rabbits to leave their warrens unless they were paired with mates, I still don't think there was much of a point to her. That scene also takes a bit away from Hazel, who was supposed to make it all the way to Watership Down with no casualties, because he's a great leader. XD;

What REALLY set me off, though, was that they killed Blackavar! He was one of my favorite characters in the book, and for some reason in the movie they had to include a ten second sequence where they kill him off for no reason! Okay, so it was a little nobel, but I'd rather have him be nobel and live, thank-you-very-much. And no, he didn't die in the book. He was even in the sequel. -.-;

I also was relieved to find out that the movie Fiver wasn't at all how Richard Adams imagined, because I strongly dislike the movie Fiver... He wasn't supposed to be an epileptic whiner. ^^;

I thought the animation was kinda sloppy, however I enjoyed the painted backgrounds and the music.

Green Skull
This film is one of my fave animal movies it is also my fave book my fave character would have to be Fiver.

the bit i did not like is when Blackavar got torn up by Woundwort
and i am also glad they did not do another becuase it would have spoiled it all

DarkC
Keegar's my fave. The weird gull dude.

BaronOBeefDip
Yeah, I love Keehar the gull. I just love it when he yells "Piss off!" at the rabbits.

ladygrim
i really dont like watching this movie it scared me and was really sad sad

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.