Horror Homage and References

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

papabeard
Theres one in Undead when the body is shot in half and the legs keep moving with the spine sticking out, thats a reference to Return of the Living Dead Part 2 in the hospital the same thing happens.

In Shaun of the Dead there is the obvious reference to Lucio Fulci with Fulci's Resturanrt in the Yellow Pages. You could do a whole thread on the references in Shaun, from the Homage -o-meter which i have not used yet,so if anyone knows any stick them here.........

papabeard
In ANOES Johnny Depp is watching Evil Dead on TV in his bedroom and in return in a Sam Raimi film , Raimi put a Wes Craven film anyone know what film it was in and what the film was?

MildPossession
The film is Evil Dead II, you can see Freddy's glove in one scene.

HockeyFace
Originally posted by MildPossession
The film is Evil Dead II, you can see Freddy's glove in one scene.

In Evil Dead there is a poster from the Hills Have Eyes somewhere if a I remember correctly

In the 5th Freddy movie I think there is a reference to Chucky and the Child's Play films.

Wolfie
Wasn't there some references (I don't know what to) at the end of Bride of Chucky?

papabeard
Yeah....thats right, the poster is in the basement with all this other crap, I think that may have been the reference to Wes Craven, for Craven putting the Evil Dead in ANOES.

nice one....HockeyFace

MildPossession
And the glove in evil dead 2 was the actual reference...

papabeard
yeah...Raimi put the Hills poster in the basement first, then craven put EVIL DEAD in ANOES, then came the glove reference in evil dead 2.

papabeard
To start things off, a couple of my favorites would be in two of Robert Holme's classic Dr Who serials; THE TALONS OF WANG CHIANG and THE CAVES OF ANDROZANI. TALONS manages to pay homage to PHANTOM OF THE OPERA with it's masked, disfigured war criminal from the future hiding in the sewers under a Victorian era London music hall, MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE and countless Lugosi monograms and others in that said Phantom like character is in pursuit of "virgins", or at least young women, to be killed to further his neforious, restoritive experiments, and his ultimately sympathetic and noble patsy/henchman is a MASK OF FU MANCHU/ various Lon Chaney films (SHADOWS mostly) tribute in being a "Yellow Menace Character" played by a occidental actor in makeup. Despite being made in the mid to late 70's it's a treat for classic horror (and Sherlock Holmes) fans!

CAVES OF ANDROZANI is an even more blatant retelling of the later day Phantom of the Opera iterations! This time with Eric transformed into a disfigured genius with a penchant for robotics instead of music, living in a heavily fortified underground cavern plotting revenge against those who disfigured him and forced him to become an out cast. I forget the name of the actor involved, but it was quite a novel choice at the time (1984) as he was mainly known as a ballet actor, but he gave one the most sympathetic and poweful and frightening performances as THE PHANTOM as any of Chaney's sucssesors that come to mind. Again, really great stuff for the Monster Kid!

My other fave reference to Classic Horror in another, more modern venue, would be the BOB NEWHART SHOW where through out the episode, the mad cap characters around him keep mentioning that James Arness played THE THING!

Dr. Hartley keeps insisting that Arness must have been the human lead in the movie, but no way did he play the THING! The whole issue is left on resolved, but it's just that much funnier those of in the known (as I assume Newhart and the writers where) that indeed for once his patients and Howard Borden where in the right!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.