Munch’s painting: Screaming or listening?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

§P0oONY

Anakinismylife
sorta both because I look @ it as the person is listening to someone and they are so shoched that they are screaming.

Deano
looks like the figure is hearing or seeing something disturbing

the eyes give it away i think

§P0oONY
But which is it?

Deano
probably heard something..who can say what?
maybe an explosion?

§P0oONY
Who knows..... Well the artist,

I guess it is all personal perspective, I agree that he is listening though

Deano
it looks like the figure has saw my giant package and is gaping in amazement

§P0oONY
Lol. You wish...

PVS
i think the figure is screaming.

Deano
Originally posted by PVS
i think the figure is screaming.

you crazy son b!tch!
u better take that back...

Imaginary
Originally posted by Deano
looks like the figure is hearing or seeing something disturbing

the eyes give it away i think

yes

Trickster
Screaming. Dunno why.

finti
scream, or SKRIK as it called in Edvards native Norwegian,cause that is the name the artist gave it.............wouldnt call it a masterpiece though I find it rather piss poor

MildPossession
Going mad, and he is covering his ears because he can't take what is around him. Distorted world.

Fabulous amazing painting.

KharmaDog
I believe that the figure is just expressing mild discomfort over being constipated.

Seriously, Munch titled this work, "the Scream" so why is this even being debated?

As a fine Arts major (both Studio and Art History) i became so sick of young students collecting this poster and putting it on their wall, along with anything by Gustave Klimt, that it has lost all meaning to me.

MildPossession
I use to see posters all over with the figure smoking pot...

"I was walking along a path with two friends, the sun was setting and suddenly the sky turned blood red, I paused, feeling exhausted, and leaned on the fence, there was blood and tongues of fire above the blue-black fjord and the city, my friends walked on, and I stood there trembling with anxiety, and I sensed an infinite scream passing through nature."

Edvard Munch.

papabeard
He has heard and seen too much and is screaming and clutching his ears as he cant stand too hear anymore.

The hands over the ears is just an anxiety reaction.

Physical manifestation of external and existential angst

PVS
Originally posted by Deano
you crazy son b!tch!
u better take that back...

he's screaming because he just figured out the black government plot to enslave and microchip the human racestick out tongue

seriously though, the guy is screaming and the world surrounding him is distorted to express his point of view, one of intense anxiety and panic...thats the way i see it.

Deano
then thats very good reason for the figure to scream! lol

finti
best use I have seen of that pictures was t shirts with the text "Dan Quayle for President??"

Bardock42
I think the person is smelling maybe tasting.

Clovie
do you know that this painting has few versions? and each one is slightly different than the others confused

but i have no idea if the person is screaming or listening. can be both actually

shaber
I always interpreted it as screaming.

Storm
In August 2004, it was stolen along with Munch' s Madonna. In April this year, the police arrested a suspect in connection with the theft. It is rumoured that the two paintings have been burnt by the thieves to conceal evidence.

finti
did you know the originals of Scream and Madonna got stolen from the munch museum in august last year and they(police and investigating team) fear that the original are burned to get rid off the evidence

Clovie
erm...Finti? read Storm's post stick out tongue

PVS
btw, i heard that the scream painting was stolen and rumor has it the thieves burned the paintings to get rid of the evidence!

stick out tongue

finti
opps I totally missed that one, still if I was to steal a painting munch would be the stuff I left behind.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Clovie
erm...Finti? read Storm's post stick out tongue

He pulled the information psychically.. stick out tongue

The guy is freakin out...It almost looks like a ghost hearing something and horrified by it.

I think I read that he was depressed when he painted this.

Clovie
Originally posted by debbiejo
He pulled the information psychically.. stick out tongue

The guy is freakin out...It almost looks like a ghost hearing something and horrified by it.

I think I read that he was depressed when he painted this. he was always depressed
his wife run away with polish poet stick out tongue

debbiejo
Originally posted by Clovie
he was always depressed
his wife run away with polish poet stick out tongue

People who buy copies of this painting and hang it in there homes become depressed too..Or have that tendency......Read that....don't know if it's true.

He hears god saying...I hear you knockin, but you can't come in...

Imaginary
Originally posted by KharmaDog
Seriously, Munch titled this work, "the Scream" so why is this even being debated?

Because "The Scream" could be in reference to the figure screaming, or the figure hearing the scream.

bilb
All art is subjective, thats the beauty of it. I personally always thought he was screaming but I can see where it can be interpreted either way

debbiejo
You know I almost used that painting for my avatar in the beginning.

whirlysplat
It is called "The Scream" so the painter obviously thought he was painting a scream

debbiejo
No...He was painting his life.

whirlysplat
yes screaming

Morbid4Daniel
Yeah I've saw a different version of that picture. We studied it in my first semester of Sophomore year.

whirlysplat
Yes and one version was stolen big grin

Deano
you'd think the painter would give a description of whats goin on...bloody selfish scum

Morbid4Daniel
Yeah, I remember readin about that whirly stick out tongue
Lol, deano. I guess he just drew what he was expressing. Maybe he, himself doesnt know what the painting expresses!

whirlysplat
big grin irony is cool as is sarcasmOriginally posted by Deano
you'd think the painter would give a description of whats goin on...bloody selfish scum

finti
munch was a psycho and so are his followers

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.