The Immolation Scene

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ReallyBad
OK - just saw EPIII again - only the second time, but I thought something was interesting in the Anakin burning scene but thought nothing of it.

After coming home and listening to the soundtrack - I noticed the track called "The Immolation Scene" not knowing th meaning of the word Immolation I looked it up and noticed something interesting:

Immolation:
1. To kill as a sacrifice.
2. To kill (oneself) by fire.
3. To destroy.

Now does this mean Anakin was trying to kill himself after realising truly what he had done?

Food for thought.

DeVi| D0do
I think the use of the word 'immolation' has more to do with 'fire' in this context.

In terms of sacrifice, the only thing that would make sense to me would be the sacrifice Obi-Wan has made. That is, sacrificing his 'brother' for the good of the galaxy...

Anakin wasn't trying to kill himself. He was blinded by the Dark Side... he doesn't realise what he's done until he sees his son begging him for help. At this stage Anakin just wanted more power...

ReallyBad
Well I suppose it could also be the sacrifice - destruction etc of Anakin - as Vader does destroy Anakin.

DeVi| D0do
Yeah... I was about to say something like that. big grin

His self-sacrifice to gain greater power.

Sadako of Girth
Have you never heard of self-immolation?

THAT implies destruction of ones self by fire...
Therefore we can assume that there is an understanding that immolation
means destruction by fire (Presumably of a living being) in the broader sense.. rightly or wrongly.... Perhaps GL sees it that way...?

Failing that as a working explaination, then maybe it was the "sacrificing any potential good left in Anakin to destroy Darth Vader" angle...

Darth_Rankkor
You can see this as a rebirth. He "dies" by fire and "reborn" to the darkside.

PVS
could this be spelled out any clearer?
anakin got cocky and underestimated obiwan.
he f***ed up...case closed erm

Sadako of Girth
LOL laughing

Cybervader
Originally posted by Darth_Rankkor
You can see this as a rebirth. He "dies" by fire and "reborn" to the darkside.

yeps..like a phoenix..reborn from the ashes...So is that why all jedi corpses are being cremated? Like those of qui-gon..and vader himself in episode 6 too..after that we see him as a jedi ghost..immortality..

matreid
Of course not! He was rying to become the most powerful sith ever.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.