Italian Horror

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jason_Krueger
I just started hearing about Italian horror films and I own (House by the Cemetery, Zombie, and The Beyond) by Lucio Fulci.......but, I would like to know if any of the following are well worth seeing or even buying.....

Cannibal Ferox
Cannibal Holocaust
Phenomena
Deep Red
Tenebrae
Bird with the Crystal Plumage
Demons 2

Also some American horror films that i would like to see but don't know if worth a crap are....

Martin (directed by George Romero)
The Crazies (also by Romero)
Pirana (by Joe Dante)

If anybody at all have seen any of the above movies please lettme know if thier worth a crap or not......pleaz and thank you

MildPossession
Martin and Deep Red are a must. Any Dario Argento film is worth watching.

papabeard
The Crazies is a terrible film, really bad, no gore no horror, bad,bad,bad.

Cannibal Holocaust is one of my all time favourites.

Zilverz
Tenebre is a great murder mystery for its time... lots of gore

Martin is a good movie too ...

i havent seen the rest

HockeyFace
Phenomena (and most films by that director, Dario Aregento) doesn't make much sense. It still is a good film though probably not one of Argento's best, but still good enough. The movie features Donald "Dr. Loomis" Pleasence of Halloween fame and Italian Horror Movie Goddess Daria Nicolodi. I should also mention that it is an unrealistic and extremely strange horror-fantasy of sorts. Good for the most part. I also believe it is a tad less gorey than most of Argento's work. There are a few gorey scenes though. DO NOT GET THE VERSION OF THIS MOVIE KNOWN AS "CREEPERS"- IT IS AN EDITED VERSION OF THE FILM WITH A LOT OF MISSING FOOTAGE!

Piranha is GREAT! If you like Joe Dante's style of horror (which is basically horror mixed with comedy like Tim Burton, except there is slighly more horror than comedy). I should warn you that if you're a gore fan you may not exactly like this one because it is not very gorey. It features Bradford Dillman and Heather Menzies as the leads. The movie also features Kevin McCarthy as an unstable scientist. McCarthy is the star of the original Invasion of the Body Snatchers. And Barbara Steele has a role as the slimey scientist that wants to cover everything up. You'll also notice Dante favorite Dick Miller in an uncharacteristicallly larger role in which he steals the show along with Kevin McCarthy. Eating Raoul's Paul Bartel plays an evil camp counseler. If you are not interested in the actors there is some great comedy in the film as well as a hint of creepiness. Joe Dante is a master at this stuff and he manages to make a really great, classic film on a relatively low budget. I recommend the film.

Another good Italian horror films you may want to check out is Lucio Fulci's Black Cat with horror veteran Patrick Magee.

Jason_Krueger
ok thanks

MildPossession
Don't forget Jennifer Connoly in Phenomena, and doesn't matter if it's unrealistic, it's a horror film...

papabeard
I just watched Zombie Holocaust, actually not too bad, made in 1979, pretty sure its italian. It has both Cannibals and Zombies on an island, it has some creative death scenes and a mad doctor, fans of zombie flicks should check it out.

Also there is a fall scene and you can clearly see the dummies arm fly off when it hits the ground, then it cuts to the guy and he still has his arm attached What the f**k?

PRO-PAIN
Another Fulci film I suggest viewing is "The New York Ripper" and also "Nightmare Concert aka A Cat In The Brain" if you can find it..

Speak of Itlian horror and you can't help to think of Riccardo Freda's "I Vampiri"

Also you have to look at Mario Bava's work, Def. check out "Schock" and "A Hatchet For The Honeymoon" "The Girl That Knew Too Much" "Blood And Black Lace"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.