My review of batman begins (SPOILERS ALERT)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

bakerboy
Well, this afternoon i have been one of the lukiest men on earth because a friend of mine is a cinema critic and he invited me to a special release for the press of batman begins in my country, spain, Althought the movie will be released next friday. And man, five words: BEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE EVER. Forgive superman movies, forgive man spider movies, forvige x men movies, daredevil , the hulk, punisher, etc, and specially forgive the four previous batman movies, THIS IS THE DEFINITIVE BATMAN MOVIE. For me, the other four dont exists. I will try dont tell too much for the people to keep the amazing effect of the movie when you see it for first time. Lets begin with the review:
First image of the movie, the warner bros loge turning into bats , whoaoooo, i was totally exited when i see it.

The first hour of the movie is about Young Bruce Wayne life and his training and travels for the world, his relationshipe with the misterous henry ducard, his remember of his parents murder and his feel of guilty, he wants to do something and find justice , but he doesnt know how . Ducard trained him and teach him how to concentrate his fell of guilty and rage in one objetive, and how to controlls his fear and use it to scare his enemies. This part of the movie is essential to understand who Bruce Wayne is and why he becomes batman.

Second part of the movie, gotham city. That is the gotham city of the comics, forgive burton and shumacher cities, that is the definitive gotham city. A corrupted, realistic and dark city that looks like a hell itself. We see the bruce wayne as he is in the comics. A tall, handsome, muscular and arrogant and silly play boy who are all day in parties and try to gets all the women. And we see batman, best batman ever, serious, intimidating and creepy. The definitive batman. We see Falcone, scarecrow, alfred, jim gordon, batmovile, batcave, etc. That is the world of dc comics . A lot of action, a lot of good action scenes, batman doing martial arts, scarecrow creepy as hell, awsome scenes with batmovile, a fine love story with rachel ( katie holmes) and spectacular end. What a end. Absolutely wonderful. At the end of the movie, you have the feeling that you know who batman and bruce wayne is and what are his motivations and why this guy wears a bat costume and fights the crime every night.

The good points: 95% of them. CHRISTIAN BALE IS THE MAN. He is amazing as batman and even more amazing as Bruce Wayne, his voice, his look, his conversations with alfred, his eyes, his screen presence.he isnt playing batman, he is batman. He was as good as Chris Reeve as superman.

The supporting cast is amazing: katie holmes is very good, Cillian Murphy is totally creepy as scarecrow/professor crane, Oldman, Wilkinson, Hauer, Watanebe and Freeman are very good , but specially Michael Caine and Liam Neeson. Caine`s alfred is brillaint, as good as michael gough was, his relationship with bruce and his sense of humour is great. Neeson is great too, his misterious and powerful precense as ducard almost steals the show. Really, Bale, Caine and Neeson stealed the show, with Murphy in a close second.

Bad points: Batmovile design: it should have been a lot better, but it stils works better than i thought.

The references to the burton movies: i thought that it was a total re start of the series, so , some references to the burton movies pissed me off.

To resume it, Best batman movie and best comic boock movie ever. At the end of the screening, almost all the people were aplauding in the cinema, including myself and my friend. Go and see quickly. a 9'9 of 10.

Mainstream
they did it they made a great Batman film..now I can die happy *pulls out a gun and blow his brains out*

Joker1237
I still with will hold judgement, until I see it. But by the sounds of it, it might be a good movie.

Burton Batman 89 still rules for live action so far.

bakerboy
When you will see it, the burton movies looks like jokes.

Mainstream
Originally posted by Joker1237
I still with will hold judgement, until I see it. But by the sounds of it, it might be a good movie.

Burton Batman 89 still rules for live action so far.

all the reviewing people are saying it's "two thumbs up" "the movie of the summer" " if your going to see one movie this summer make it this one"..and all that jazz. I'm sure it's at least an 9.3 out of ten if not more.

Joker1237
ITs one thing for the review people, But the general public??? I was reading about the review people saying Batman and Robin was a "Dizzleing" movie, But once it hit theaters, of couse it went down hill.

Mainstream
ITs one thing for the review people, But the general public??? I was reading about the review people saying Batman and Robin was a "Dizzleing" movie, But once it hit theaters, of couse it went down hill.

I see your point.

bakerboy
For me, its a 9'9 film. And not only the best superhero movie, is one of the best ten movies in last 15 years. And all the people of the cinema loved it , because they aplaud when the movie ended.

Mainstream
Originally posted by bakerboy
For me, its a 9'9 film. And not only the best superhero movie, is one of the best ten movies in last 15 years. And all the people of the cinema loved it , because they aplaud when the movie ended.

that gives me hope...that the curse of crappy Batman movies is finally over..thought the first two were okay.

renegadedog
"ITs one thing for the review people, But the general public??? I was reading about the review people saying Batman and Robin was a "Dizzleing" movie, But once it hit theaters, of couse it went down hill."

It can't have had that many good reviews though, since it's about 13% on Rotten Tomatoes.

This is currnetly at 86% and I predict it to go up.

Joker1237
I talking about Newspaper and reporters, NOT websites. They are paid to talk about good things for a bad movie, until it hits the theaters.

BadKitty
When you will see it, the burton movies looks like jokes. you are so right! this movie is THEE batman movie..one and only period.

Mr Parker
As I said before Bakerboy,the fact that YOU loved it and even went so far as to saying you thought it was the best comicbook movie ever even better than Superman-which we have always agreed was the best comicbook film ever made.I have doubts that I will love it as well.I know Kitty like us,did not like any of the Batman movies either so hearing this from BOTH of you,that you BOTH loved it.I cant wait.I will be seeing it this weekend on saturday.I am so excited.I'll read your review later on after the weekend after I have seen it.Dont want any spoilers given to me. big grin

bakerboy
Yeah, mr parker. It was incredible, because i think that superman was the best comic book film ever, as you think too, but this movie is so amazing that is even better than superman. Is an almost perfect movie, story, lines, performances,characters, direction, music,etc. Please, dont forget to post your review of the movie when you see it, and remember, you will love it.

bakerboy
For first time, we have a great batman movie that is very faithful to the comic and is a great movie.

Mr Parker
Yeah I will post it on this thread after this weekend.After I post my review,I will THEN read yours. big grin

8bitChris
I hate to be negative, but saying "one of the best ten movies in last 15 years"

is really overrating the movie.

Doc Ock
Very encouraging to hear.I am seeing it tomorrow morning.Cannot wait.

Tex
It's absolutely amazing! As has been stated above, this is the 1 and only true Batman film. One of the best action movies ever!thumb up

Gotham city looks amazing, Christian Bale was born to be the bat, the scarecrow crazy gas angle was amazing, the surprise villain in the end was unexpected and awesome. The bat mobile looks like a Lamborghini on steroids! thumb up

Fantastic movie! clap

atila the great
this is without a doubt the BEST comic-based movie EVER made period

all of you who say katie's character's weak, think again! the whole cast makes a perfect score. it puts a very high mark to beat by any new SH movie

SpyCspider
Ok, first thing's first.

The TWIST at the end was.......insane. I seriously doubt myself as a Batfan now since I couldn't believe I didn't see it coming. The voice, the mannerism, everything....it was exactly like the cartoon...I don't know why I didn't see it from the start. Extra points for just that one thing.

Pros: STORY. Awesome. PLOT. Fantastic. MOOD. Perfect. CHARACTERS: splendid (ok, Katie Holmes didn't annoy me as much as I thought she would). I see why all the good reviews for this movie praised the story and the acting. It was very smoothly done. I ddin't think the movie dragged at all in the beginning. I thought slow was good, flashbacks were good, explaining things was good.

Cons: Not much....just the fighting choreagraphy and cinematography that everyone all complained about. Camera too close, shaky, and can't tell what he's doing. Being in an IMAX theater might've contributed to that, though. Hmmm...No definitive theme song....as opposed to all the previous Batmans...you knew what the theme song was cuz they kept replaying it. This one, was just....I can't remember it as I'm typing this. Oh, and I still dont' like the cowl for some reason....it makes him look kinda silly, rather than menacing in my opinion. (Both Keaton's and Kilmer's cowl fit well). And when he did his angry voice thing...it sounded kinda forced too.

BUT although my Cons paragraph was longer than the Pros, it's just that the good far outweighs the definitive bads and I can't really describe in detail how good this movie is. The gritty realism of Gotham has to be seen to be believed. The Batmobile worked out fine. Loved Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine.....ahhh, can't express how each character played off each other so well. Right from the start, you KNEW this was going to be a serious movie.....no selling out to please kids, no forced morality messages, no blatant marketing ploys. All the nods to the previous Batmans were done in good taste in my opinion, and the ending with Gordon showing Bats the "card" put a big smile to my face. Another awesome thing is how they try to show how THINGS CAN WORK.....discovery of cave, suit, weapon origins, ...how Bruce plays off as a playboy...simply amazing. Fans will rejoice at the makers of ths film focusing on the big picture. His anguish, his search, his goal. And finally again, THE TWIST!!! I'm so naive to not have think of it.

I just realized this was kinda poorly written as it's 2AM and I'm just writing a stream of consciousness. Do share your thoughts. And for those who havn'et watched yet, it's a hefty 2hrs+...so empty it out before heading in for the big show.

SEQUEL!!!!!!!!!!!!

vaya_the_elf
You are right there was no theme song. Oh well

Did not think about that

wozzy_the_dark
Without a doubt the best batman film to date, and one of the best films of the year. Everything with this film was close to perfection. The cast was stellar, the plot fantastic (what a twist at the end - i NEVER saw that coming!!). Bale is perfect was Wayne/Batman. Agree that at times the camera was a littlt shaky, but then again captured the idea that Batman came swiftly and took out his opponents.
Cant wait for a sequel - end of film set it up perfectly

LousyBoy
I remember the theme song. They just dont trumpet it out during the movie like other movies do.

TheFilmProphet
I posted this in another thread, but I thought I would share it.

Some people who view this film in theatres may not fully understand or care for the necessary backstory on Bruce Wayne's character which may cause this viewer to say something like "The beginning was too boring". Fact is though, if you are anyone who is even slightly interested in how Batman came to be then this film will undoubtedly satisfy your needs for a well-developed and in-depth story on the caped crusader.

The film perfectly balances all the elements required for a film of this nature and yet it gives you more than you could have ever dreamed of or expected. Nearly each gadget and object used by Batman is given meaning and reason unlike any film before it. Also, for the first EVER Batman is actually scary and dark, he genuinely seems like a character that would really send fear into a criminal, thug, or any person in general. The story, plot, setting, characters, etc. are all done in a believable and realistic manner that immediately makes the audience forget that they are watching something entirely fictional. I can go on for ages about this movie, but I'll leave it up to you now to go watch it and see for yourself.

vaya_the_elf
Very nice review smile

Mr Parker
I will be seeing this movie tomorrow so I should have my review already to go on this thread by sunday. smile

vaya_the_elf
*laughs*

I hope you like it. If you like it and have no complains then it will be amazing

Mr Parker
There is a great chance that will happen because as I said before.Both Bad Kitty Kitty and Bakerboy, like me,also did not like the other Batman films but they liked this one.so its got to be good.And as I also said before,Bakerboy like me,always thought Superman was the best comicbook movie ever made,but he said he liked Batman Begins even better than that.Thats saying quite a bit.For HIM to say that,its got to be a great movie. smile

vaya_the_elf
Just teasing you because I can.

Mr Parker
Hee Hee.

vaya_the_elf
stick out tongue

TheFilmProphet
Since I don't want to clog up this forum with useless threads I thought I would post my full review of BB here instead.

Absolutely breath-taking. Batman Begins has stormed movie theatres across the globe in an effort to bring life to a new franchise and erase the taunting images of the films before it. Now comes the question: Does this film accomplish these ultimate goals? The answer is an affirmative yes, Batman Begins fulfills all expectations and gives all audiences more than they ever dreamed of. With Schumacher gone and along with him the rubber nipples, George Clooney, and defaming movies that ruined Batman 'forever', Batman Begins revives the DC character from the grave and not a moment too soon.

At first glance some naive moviegoers may confuse Batman Begins with the mediocre Batman films of the 90's. Though one can immediately point out that those films were perhaps at best "kid movies". That is definitely not the case with this film as it pushes the upper limits of it's PG-13 rating and is targeted much more towards adults than five-year-old children who enjoy flashy colors. It will not be very difficult to realize that this is the beginning of a more complex and mature film franchise and not the continuation of the insulting Batman that was created by Joel Schumacher

The film perfectly balances all the elements required for a film of this nature and yet it brings new ingredients to the table which have never been used this way before. Nearly each gadget and object used by Batman is given meaning and reason unlike any film before it. Also, for the first EVER Batman is actually scary and dark, he genuinely seems like a character that would really strike fear into a criminal, thug, or any person in general. The story, plot, setting, characters, etc. are all done in a believable and realistic manner that immediately makes the audience forget that they are watching something entirely fictional. If you are anyone who is even slightly interested in how Batman came to be then this film will undoubtedly satisfy your needs for a well-developed and in-depth story on the caped crusader.

An integral part that helps push this film to sheer greatness is the perfectly cast ensemble roles. Christian Bale is unbelievably convincing as the Dark Knight as he effortlessly seizes the complete attention and belief of the viewers. Michael Caine (Alfred) and Gary Oldman (Jim Gordon) also bring new meaning and life to their characters making them both entertaining and three dimensional. Although Katie Holmes is clearly not on the same level of these acting legends her performance does not alter an otherwise amazing film. Top notch performanes are also delivered by Oscar nominated actors Ken Watanabe, Liam Neeson, and Oscar Winner Morgan Freeman. Neeson flawlessly supplies the qualities necessary for the critical role in the film and Freeman brings some well appreciated humor and tone.

Director Christopher Nolan completely conveys the raw realism and gritty darkness of Gotham as well as that of the characters who inhabit this great city. Gone are the cartoonish settings of before and enter a new realistic, plausible, and believable film environment. Nolan and writer David Goyer genuinely seem to understand the multi-layered character of Bruce Wayne AKA Batman which results in a accurate and ideal adaption of the iconic DC comic book. All in all, this film is outstanding and the most credible comic book film ever created, perhaps in history. Batman is finally headed in the right direction......

FINAL GRADE: A+

Sentry
Good movie. I saw it today. They captured his essence.

My score : A

Kainreaver
I agree, In the end twist of the movie, you find yourself KICKING YOUR ASS for not seeing what was right in front of you the entire time. And since there is a "Spoiler alert" warning in the title of this thread, none of us should be affraid to speak on it. So lets not tip toe arround it anymore. Liam neeson as Ra's Al Ghoul was FLAWLESS. ANYONE who says otherwise is lying to you. The manorisms, the voice, the look, and sheer screen presence.

Kainreaver
Even the tim burton films look like "Sketches" compared to the dynamic results of this new Batman saga.

NoFate007
You have to admit, when you saw that card, you got a chill.

TheFilmProphet
Originally posted by NoFate007
You have to admit, when you saw that card, you got a chill.

I felt it too, it was kind of hard to describe but it was like that moment became an instant classic as soon as I saw it.

Kainreaver
Yeah, the card was pretty much the necessary catalyst in setting this new...this REAL Batman Saga in stone. Word is, they want the Joker in the 2nd film, with Harvey Dent as Gothams district attourny. Then after the Joker is caprured, his trial will be in the 3rd film, and The Joker will scar harvey, making him Two Face. The Joker and Two Face will Team up against batman in that film.

Kainreaver
In light of the dissapointment of the Sandman being the villan in the 3rd spiderman film. And a PROMISING Batman trilogy in the works, has anyone elses attention switched from the Wallcrawler to the Dark Night?

BlackC@t
Wow Bakerboy, you actually enjoyed a comic-book movie for once.

bakerboy
Black cat, you have bad information. Batman begins isnt the only comic book adaptation that i like. I loved the first two superman movies, i liked the x men movies, daredevil movie, dick tracy, the crow, the punisher, blade movies, the mask, spawn, hellboy, etc. So , batman begins isnt the only comic book movie that i like, but is the movie that i liked more.

Mr Parker
I can vouch for that as well that Bakerboy likes all those comicbook movies that he listed.Black C@t as usual,you dont have a clue whatsoever what your talking about.btw Bakerboy,I am about to see Batman Begins in about an hour,cant wait. Happy Dance

True Sinister
are u guys talking about when the end sets up that Joker will be Batman's next pponent?

vaya_the_elf
Hmm...

I think they were

wozzy_the_dark
oh definitely. what appeals to me about batman, in particular batman begins is the realism. the fact that somebody could actually do that. bruce wayne is more appealing as he has gone to hell and back to gain the ability to fight crime, peter parker has done nothing, just get bitten by a spider, and suddenly he thinks he can fight crime.
for me, batman will always be the better superhero. i mean, a guy who wears tight spandex has gotta have a few screws lose!

Joseph_Kerr
I heard that second film will introduce Joker and Harvey Dent, third film will have his trial with DA Harvey Dent. It will be the Joker who splashes HD with acid to create Two-Face.

LousyBoy
Nope. Why would the makers go along with that storyline??? Everyone here has heard about it, so i doubt the makers are just gonna be like "Oh.. well, lets make these movies anyway even thought everyone knows what happens."

TheFilmProphet
All of that is based only on words spoken by David Goyer during interviews and the like. No script has actually been written for a Batman Begins sequel.

bakerboy
Good thing, mr parker. You will love it for sure.

Leafar
Yes, Batman Begins was the best Batman movie so far, and I would rate it as one of the top ten best comic book movies of all time, but I can not say it is the absolute best ever. For me, X-Men II is number 1. However, it is a great movie and every comic book fan in the world should see it. BTW, I want Johnny Depp or Crispin Glover to be the new Joker.

Gregory
Originally posted by LousyBoy
Nope. Why would the makers go along with that storyline??? Everyone here has heard about it, so i doubt the makers are just gonna be like "Oh.. well, lets make these movies anyway even thought everyone knows what happens."

That's why I think nobody will ever make a movie based around Batman's origin. You see, everyone's heard of it, so ... oh ... wait ...

FLIPMODE
Because my head is filled with many different things, after seeing this film in IMAX, in no particular order, or any rhyme or reason, I will spit out random thoughts about this movie.

-Okay, some people were trying to justify Batman leaving Ras to Die, because he's immortal, and also skilled. I think the only reason they would try to defend the film in that right because it would make the film imperfect, and flat out wrong in it's represenation of the character.
It is inevitable.

The "mistakes" of 1989's Batman that people point out, are still present in Brgins. Yes the killling Ras scene.
But that's not all. How about the Batmobile Chase. He used street mines on the COP CARS! Normally I see him do this to criminals, at most spikes to flatten cop tires, but mines??? Did you not SEE the Cop cars flip over and CRASH, into multiple things? These were fatal crashes, ESPECIALLY since so many of you say this Batman movie was done in "realistic" Fashion. He's still reckless, and unBatman like, whenever the movie SAW FIT. Just like Batman '89.

-Anyone who said Lucious does'nt know Bat's I.D. is flatout wrong. He does. And NOT in the manner of that he has an idea of who Batman could be. He LITERALLY knows. All he had to do is watch the news and SEE his Batmobile setting destruction to the streets.

-The Fighting. There was no Fighting. Batman Can't Fight. More on this later.

-Scarecrow was not bad.

-Im leaning towards, Ras Killed the Wayne's. Why? Because he said they were allready in the process of destroying Gotham way back when. And Joe Chill WAS the result of his plan. That's more DIRECT thant it is indirect. What's so BAD about that? Nothing, except..it's just like Batman of 1989, where Joker is given the credi, now Ras is. And everyone knocks that old movie, when this movie does the same thing. What's ALSO bad about it is that it ADD'S to the long list of things Ras is given credit for directly or indirectly, creating Batman.

-Raz? They are prenouncing the name RAZ throughout the ENTIRE movie. Now I thought in Batman Beyond, No IM SURE, that Terry Pronounced it RAZ, and Batman corrected him, because it's an Arabic name, it's pronounced "Ray-sh". And this comes WAAAY after many years of Batman TAS establishing the correct way to pronounce the name as "Ray-ShMy ears hurt everytim they said RAZ in this movie. YUCK!!

-What DID I like about the movie? Well it was'nt the Music. Hmm What's this. No MAIN THEME? Guess you can't top Danny Elfman...BUT AT LEAST TRY! Whats crazy is I LIKE Hans Zimmer from his previous work. He CAN do Batman, he just never made a title theme.

-Music editing SUCKED. There were MANY scenes that did not need ANY background music. Like when we first get to see the Wayne Ent. Board room. There is crap music stringing along behind it.The music carries on to the next scene, and it's not a good thing. It's crazy when we live in a time where I can recall the Spiderman movie theme(s) before I can for Batman Begins. Oh I know why...Cuz Elfman did that one.

-Regular Editing SUCKED. This is PART of the reason why the fight scenes suck. Not only that, the film seemed rushed. Some lines were spoken a mile a minute and then, we cut to some crap going on in the narrows, than to Bruce making the suit then...Oh please give it a rest. How about complete a scene so we can take it in. The movie felt like a LONG Trailer.

-NO I got it. Heres what I liked most about the movie. That the girl, was not a REAL Love interest. And there was no love scene. This was actually refreshing, because it's usually so unwanted. BUT, she still figured his I.D., and that always sucks.

-Yes I was one of those people who knew "immediatly" That Neeson was Ras. It's called being a die hard Batfan, so suck an egg!! All you have to do is know what he looks like...it's not rocket Science, plus Ken resembled more of an UBU. At the end you can see that Ras had a few UBU's with him. With Bald heads and ALL.

-Mr. Zsasz's scars looked sooo phoney.

-Gotham city looked good, but why in hell was ARKHAM ASYLUM, built WITHIN a crowded RESIDENTIAL AREA????
This has never been the case in ANY recreatioon of Batman. This was just DUMB AS HELL!! Yes they're gonna escape,...and YES they're gonna kill you...your right next door!! roll eyes (sarcastic) Arkham is supposed to be closer to Wayne Manor, seperate from the city, in more of that open area. FOR OBVIOUS REASONS. DUUUUHHH! See this is what I mean when I say "David GOyer Sucks".

-Okay, the fighting. I think one of the problems stem from the fact that, they did not have the budget to, or TIME, to train the actors, Matrix style, some choreography of some cool fighting. It just was'nt there. There was nothing for me to feast my eyes on. Every punched was not "blurred" like some mention, it was NOT WITHIN THE FRAME OF THE DAMN MOVIE! All the action in the movie was deliberatly shot outside the focus of the film, and also cut out. Just when you thought you'd get to see Batman do something cool, they cut to what Jim Gordons doing outside. They Cut to Rachel picking her nose, they cut GCPD, taking a squat..ANYTHING except Batman kicking ass. And this is a fact...dont beleive me..go see it again. It was a copout, a sham, and leaves many wondering if Nolan is truly the man for this job. Just as Batman has to be good at more than one thing, Nolan has to good at more than just psycho thrillers if wants to make a Batman movie. Hands now Burton squashed Nolan in the Action Department.

-The pace of the movie needed to slow down. From the start it was so rushed.

-They ending with the Water Vapor, was tricky for people to get. I got it because I read the script, but watching it was utter clutter. And the urgency of the situation was lost, only thing that you knew for sure is, "Batman's GOTTA stop that train....but why?...oh yeah cuz of the water vapor..." roll eyes (sarcastic) And what about the vaccine, could they really get it out in time to save the Narrows people. Rachel hardly lasted 30 minutes. Too many questions not enough good story telling.

-Best Part, Bruce pulling Ras up with one arm. I probably liked it because it was the only REAL action in the movie.

-Sometimes his voice was good, others his Batman voice was just plain goofy.

-Overall production was lousy.

-Wait best part...When he was sitting atop the perch looking at the City as Batman. That was the coolest scene proably because he was'nt moving, and looking dumb, but moreso because it looked most like The Batman I've come to know, eventhough it only lasted about 5 seconds.

-This movie was no better than Daredevil, which is sad. Well naturally Batman is cooler than Daredevil, so it's not that bad, but that's not saying much.

-6.5 out of 10 Stars.

Leafar
Originally posted by FLIPMODE
Because my head is filled with many different things, after seeing this film in IMAX, in no particular order, or any rhyme or reason, I will spit out random thoughts about this movie.

-Okay, some people were trying to justify Batman leaving Ras to Die, because he's immortal, and also skilled. I think the only reason they would try to defend the film in that right because it would make the film imperfect, and flat out wrong in it's represenation of the character.
It is inevitable.

The "mistakes" of 1989's Batman that people point out, are still present in Brgins. Yes the killling Ras scene.
But that's not all. How about the Batmobile Chase. He used street mines on the COP CARS! Normally I see him do this to criminals, at most spikes to flatten cop tires, but mines??? Did you not SEE the Cop cars flip over and CRASH, into multiple things? These were fatal crashes, ESPECIALLY since so many of you say this Batman movie was done in "realistic" Fashion. He's still reckless, and unBatman like, whenever the movie SAW FIT. Just like Batman '89.

-Anyone who said Lucious does'nt know Bat's I.D. is flatout wrong. He does. And NOT in the manner of that he has an idea of who Batman could be. He LITERALLY knows. All he had to do is watch the news and SEE his Batmobile setting destruction to the streets.

-The Fighting. There was no Fighting. Batman Can't Fight. More on this later.

-Scarecrow was not bad.

-Im leaning towards, Ras Killed the Wayne's. Why? Because he said they were allready in the process of destroying Gotham way back when. And Joe Chill WAS the result of his plan. That's more DIRECT thant it is indirect. What's so BAD about that? Nothing, except..it's just like Batman of 1989, where Joker is given the credi, now Ras is. And everyone knocks that old movie, when this movie does the same thing. What's ALSO bad about it is that it ADD'S to the long list of things Ras is given credit for directly or indirectly, creating Batman.

-Raz? They are prenouncing the name RAZ throughout the ENTIRE movie. Now I thought in Batman Beyond, No IM SURE, that Terry Pronounced it RAZ, and Batman corrected him, because it's an Arabic name, it's pronounced "Ray-sh". And this comes WAAAY after many years of Batman TAS establishing the correct way to pronounce the name as "Ray-ShMy ears hurt everytim they said RAZ in this movie. YUCK!!

-What DID I like about the movie? Well it was'nt the Music. Hmm What's this. No MAIN THEME? Guess you can't top Danny Elfman...BUT AT LEAST TRY! Whats crazy is I LIKE Hans Zimmer from his previous work. He CAN do Batman, he just never made a title theme.

-Music editing SUCKED. There were MANY scenes that did not need ANY background music. Like when we first get to see the Wayne Ent. Board room. There is crap music stringing along behind it.The music carries on to the next scene, and it's not a good thing. It's crazy when we live in a time where I can recall the Spiderman movie theme(s) before I can for Batman Begins. Oh I know why...Cuz Elfman did that one.

-Regular Editing SUCKED. This is PART of the reason why the fight scenes suck. Not only that, the film seemed rushed. Some lines were spoken a mile a minute and then, we cut to some crap going on in the narrows, than to Bruce making the suit then...Oh please give it a rest. How about complete a scene so we can take it in. The movie felt like a LONG Trailer.

-NO I got it. Heres what I liked most about the movie. That the girl, was not a REAL Love interest. And there was no love scene. This was actually refreshing, because it's usually so unwanted. BUT, she still figured his I.D., and that always sucks.

-Yes I was one of those people who knew "immediatly" That Neeson was Ras. It's called being a die hard Batfan, so suck an egg!! All you have to do is know what he looks like...it's not rocket Science, plus Ken resembled more of an UBU. At the end you can see that Ras had a few UBU's with him. With Bald heads and ALL.

-Mr. Zsasz's scars looked sooo phoney.

-Gotham city looked good, but why in hell was ARKHAM ASYLUM, built WITHIN a crowded RESIDENTIAL AREA????
This has never been the case in ANY recreatioon of Batman. This was just DUMB AS HELL!! Yes they're gonna escape,...and YES they're gonna kill you...your right next door!! roll eyes (sarcastic) Arkham is supposed to be closer to Wayne Manor, seperate from the city, in more of that open area. FOR OBVIOUS REASONS. DUUUUHHH! See this is what I mean when I say "David GOyer Sucks".

-Okay, the fighting. I think one of the problems stem from the fact that, they did not have the budget to, or TIME, to train the actors, Matrix style, some choreography of some cool fighting. It just was'nt there. There was nothing for me to feast my eyes on. Every punched was not "blurred" like some mention, it was NOT WITHIN THE FRAME OF THE DAMN MOVIE! All the action in the movie was deliberatly shot outside the focus of the film, and also cut out. Just when you thought you'd get to see Batman do something cool, they cut to what Jim Gordons doing outside. They Cut to Rachel picking her nose, they cut GCPD, taking a squat..ANYTHING except Batman kicking ass. And this is a fact...dont beleive me..go see it again. It was a copout, a sham, and leaves many wondering if Nolan is truly the man for this job. Just as Batman has to be good at more than one thing, Nolan has to good at more than just psycho thrillers if wants to make a Batman movie. Hands now Burton squashed Nolan in the Action Department.

-The pace of the movie needed to slow down. From the start it was so rushed.

-They ending with the Water Vapor, was tricky for people to get. I got it because I read the script, but watching it was utter clutter. And the urgency of the situation was lost, only thing that you knew for sure is, "Batman's GOTTA stop that train....but why?...oh yeah cuz of the water vapor..." roll eyes (sarcastic) And what about the vaccine, could they really get it out in time to save the Narrows people. Rachel hardly lasted 30 minutes. Too many questions not enough good story telling.

-Best Part, Bruce pulling Ras up with one arm. I probably liked it because it was the only REAL action in the movie.

-Sometimes his voice was good, others his Batman voice was just plain goofy.

-Overall production was lousy.

-Wait best part...When he was sitting atop the perch looking at the City as Batman. That was the coolest scene proably because he was'nt moving, and looking dumb, but moreso because it looked most like The Batman I've come to know, eventhough it only lasted about 5 seconds.

-This movie was no better than Daredevil, which is sad. Well naturally Batman is cooler than Daredevil, so it's not that bad, but that's not saying much.

-6.5 out of 10 Stars.

Are you insane? Did we see the same movie? If you think that Batman Begins is no better than Daredevil, then you are an absolute idiot. What the hell are you thinking? If you were in charge of making the Batman Begins movie it would never get finished. Shut up!

TheFilmProphet
Originally posted by Leafar
Did we see the same movie?

It seems like he didn't, the kid probably just wants some attention.

Sileas
question, flip mode: ok, this movie was crap. but how do you account for the fact that so many people, not only on here but across the nation (and may I say the world) have such a raging fascination and approval of this movie? if it is so much garbage.....I guess that means that garbage is good, in that people like it so much! count me as one of them. i loved this crap flawed movie! bounced up and down in my movie seat! especially the flies buzzing around and the awful smell! this crap smelly movie was awesome! I dunno, maybe I'm bizarre, but i don't think counting the number of villains and making a decision on the movie even before i've purchased my ticket and entered the theater sounds very sound to me. I remember your post of earlier, saying it was going to suck based on the # of villains. well, ok, it sucked rocks big time. but I have a taste for rocks, as do most other people on this planet. you may go smell your flowers, we are content with this: hm....there doesn't seem to be a smilie that shows a pile of crap.....darn....well, just imagine some here. too bad. you missed out on two very enjoyable hours. on your way!

Sileas
oh yes and my review! spoilers ok? good! here we go!

---overall, see above! friggin fantastic! THEY FINALLY GOT BATMAN RIGHT!

now for random comments, good and.....oh, i just can't bring myself to say "bad"!

---alfred's accent. sounded...well, i'll get my scottish/english brother in law to rank caine's accent. (I can't believe i'm commenting on the english accent of an englishman!) but he almost sounded either cockney (an "oik"wink at times, and others even australian. caine can do a great australian accent, see the end of "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels".

--that said, oldman and bale's accents were flawless! right? i didn't hear a wrong vowel or consonant. you wouldn't know they weren't american.

---music---well, let's just say I ran out to get lunch for father's day, and tried wandering around the local mall looking for a cd store (the mall actually didn't have one!) looking for the soundtrack. no, there was no triumpant elfman type theme, but batman isn't a triumpant soldier marching hup two hup two into battle---he's dark rage and all that, which is what this was. kinda reminded me of a heartbeat or something, pulse rate. very cool, dark. i hung around in the theater until the credits were done so i could hear all of it. i'll be buying this one as soon as i can find it! great!

---when he gets outa bed and just kinda falls to the floor with the pushups--- cool! smile smile can i chew on his deltoids? pleeez?

---ok, so neeson WAS ras? alrightey. but then who was ken playing? a decoy? we might get double-agent-ed on this one, but what do i know... why a decoy?.....anyway. nope didn't see it coming, but i was so buzzed by then i couldn't really jump outa my seat. (lovely liam palying a BAD guy?????)

---yeah, the chronology was wild. i though alfred said something about bruce's parents "in the depression". maybe the depression of the 1990s? dunno. but but this is a fictional character. it isn't going to be precise with everything else done on the character, even with who killed his parents. if it tried to follow all the "canon", the result would be a story so twisted it might be tortuous and too hard to follow, and lose impact.

---i can't believe he shot chill! really can't believe it! cannot believe it! and no one saw him do it? o come on! that was a bit hard to swallow.

---when he strung the bad cop up and bounced him up and down in the rain, interrogating him---LOVED the voice. that wasn't even human---that was snarling animalistic! perfect pissed off batman. of course, he usually *arrives* pissed off...... jacked up pissed off, then! smile

---nice dip in the pool! i actually laughed!

---yeah, i was straining to hear what people were saying here and there, but....that gives me an excuse to go see it again! smile

---cool car......ok, i'll buy it. very cool stealth mode! i wrote a scene like that, all lights off and switch to another, quieter sub-engine. and where it changes in the interior to him kinda laying down....cool! different! but why are people calling it the "tumbler"? i missed that reference....

------it was so real the comic book references were almost jarring. like, "waitaminit, that's fictional silliness! get back to the movie!" that's a credit to how real it was. but what were the references to the burton movies that someone mentioned? that it had batman in it? i didn't get that.

---the jaws approach. the guys are unloading stuff, there's a crashing sound, they turn around, and someone has just vanished. they investigate, getting scared spitless---in my opinion, PERFECT pure undiluted flawless batman. PERFECT. the way he should be done.

---in the theater I was in, i saw, like, NO posters or anything. that kinda surprised me. lots for the fantastic four and other movies, but...no bats. hm.....

----so i notice no purists have whined about the fact that the entry to the cave is a piano, not a grandfather clock. i don't care---it was cool anyway.

---ok, at the very start of the movie, i swear I saw a flash, almost subliminal, of a drawing of the joker. i'm sure i saw it. even before the bats started flying across the screen. did anyone else spot this?

---yeah, it was a bit hard to see who was hitting who at times, but.....i had that same complaint with forever, and i still kinda liked that movie.

very very very cool movie! i'm going to go see it every weekend! well....i'm going to see it more than once, that's for sure! when have i done this before.......not many, but i don't see very many movies at all anyway, way less than five in any given year. whooooooooooo!

so yeah flipmode, i love crap. can you explain this? I can't. how come I loved this movie, despite all the points you list?

FLIPMODE
Because the last movie was SOOOOO Bad, that anything halfway decent would be considered GREAT!

That's why. And that's what this film was, half way decent. A Half ass attempt at Batman. While Batman & Robin was about 10% enjoyable. With that history, there's no where to go but UP!

vaya_the_elf
*laughs*

True. Although I still think its better than most of the batman movies

Sileas
i'm not judging this movie against b&R, or against any other movie. i'm judging it by itself. I don't come into the theater with a "Movie Ranker Calculator" and punch in 1) what I thought of the previous movie in this series, 2) how many villains are in this movie and 3) what I know about movie editing, sound board technology and model making, and hit the "equals" button and see my opinion given to me by my Movie Ranker Calculator even before my butt hits the seat. I seem to have a rather inflated opinion of this half-assed movie. why? If a truly good movie came along, I probably wouldn't be the only one suffering a fatal heart attack as a reaction, then. find me a critic who is calling it half-assed or "halfway decent". most people are calling this half-assed movie very very very good, "they finally got batman right", "best comic book movie", "movie of the year", etc. this is a halfway decent movie? wow. one boggles as to what the effects would be from a truly great movie.

ps unlike most people, i only saw B&R once, in the theater, and never again. I did not go out and buy the tape or dvd, and therefore I also do not watch it on occasion "just to see if it's as bad as I thought it was". it was a very forgettable movie, and my reaction was just that---I pretty much forgot all about it as soon as the credits started to roll. I am completely apathetic about it, and in addition my already apathetic memory about it has also faded quite a bit after nearly 10 yrs. So when it comes to my opinion of batman begins, I do not start at Batman and Robin. I start and end at Batman Begins.

TheFilmProphet
Originally posted by Sileas
i'm not judging this movie against b&R, or against any other movie. i'm judging it by itself.

Exactly,

I am but part of the many sites and sources who strongly believe this film was grade A material, regardless of what projects came before it as you can see by my review under my sig. Thus I have no idea where Flip is coming from with his insane claims.

SpyCspider
Flipmode, I know you're going to get a lotta heat for criticizing but a lot of the points you mentioned also struck me as well. There were segments in the movie where the action or the plot or the delivery did not go smoothly but I was kind of expecting awkward parts. Some people will say you're nitpicking but I've wondered to myself how my review of the movie will change once the fervor dies down. I gave the movie a great rating but at the same time I fear it was due to the excitement of seeing a "better" Batman movie.

I watched 1989 Batman again the next day and the experience was totally different. Both that and Batman Begins were good in their own way but honestly, I still prefer Burton's by a teensy bit.

Mr Parker
I am in a rush for time right now so i dont have time to post my review But I saw it yesterday and NOLAN delivered,FINALLY we got a BATMAN movie that wasnt crap.yahoo. Happy Dance I will post my review of this movie in the next couple of days.

Sileas
([email protected] hoping to see parker's review......)

oh and let me correct myself earlier. someone said bruce did *not* shoot chill after the hearing. ??? which one's right? i really think he looked awfully calm when chill went down, almost like he was just seeing it in his mind's eye rather than having just done it in reality. a couple of yrs later, when challenged to execute someone, he said "I'm no executioner." so either his opinion changed or.....i got it wrong.

What the f...?
In short best batman movie ever (so far) ... The ending gave me chills though big grin

FLIPMODE
([email protected] hoping to see parker's review......)

oh and let me correct myself earlier. someone said bruce did *not* shoot chill after the hearing. ??? which one's right? i really think he looked awfully calm when chill went down, almost like he was just seeing it in his mind's eye rather than having just done it in reality. a couple of yrs later, when challenged to execute someone, he said "I'm no executioner." so either his opinion changed or.....i got it wrong.

Wait a sec, your under the impressoin that Bruce killed Chill?

No he did'nt. You can actually see the person run up to Chill and shoot him.

BUT, I must know. stick out tongue What thoughts are going through your head, knowing you just watched a movie where Bruce not only killed in cold blood, but ALSO used a Gun! Not only that...but turns around to learn the ways of the world, and become out Batman!?

Please tell me, im intrigued.

If that had ACTUALLY been what happend in the movie. I would have INSTANTLY considered it SOOO ELSEWORLD, that they could have done ANYTHING to the character of Bruce, and I would'nt have a care in the world. They could have made him gay, and lose his left hand in a fight with Alfred. It would all be fun in the name of fantasy on top of fiction. laughing laughing

Gregory
Flipmode: I thought Batman Begins was great, and since I've never bothered to see Batman and Robin in its entirety, I very much doubt that it's because I'm comparing it to that. For that matter, my mom enjoyed it overall, and I'm sure that she's not comparing it to the other Batman movies, what with never having seen any of them. Ultimately, of course, it all comes down to people having different opinions, so ... yeh. Actually, I agree with you about the music, and certainly the fighting could have been done better, but I don't see that type of stuff as quite the deal-breaker you see to.

Ou Be Low hoo
I saw it last night and I was surprised by how excellent it was! It was interesting, thought-provoking and just plain cool. It was definitely one of the best movies I've seen this year - way better than Star Wars and I enjoyed it more than Sin City too!

Mr Parker
Okay here is my review of Batman Begins.Great flick.This is the Batman movie we should have had back in 89 but were cheated out of.This movie was awesome,great from start to finish.This is the kind of Batman movie I was expecting to see back in 89 but did not get till now.This movie had the kind of excitement and action that you would expect to see in a Batman movie.Lots of action from start to finish with not only that,but a great story as well.It was great to see Bruce Wayne learn the arts of the ninja and see how he became a martial arts expert and they showed his true character,a guy who can EASILY beat up SEVERAL men at one time because of his martial arts training which we saw in the beginning. Not this wimp who cant even beat one guy.They also faithfully showed that Bruce Wayne will not take a life unless it is absolutely necessary and there is no other choice.Thank god they did not butcher to death his character again in this film and turn him into a cowardly killer killing when there is no need to.Nolan was the right man all along as we all knew.Not only was it pleasing to see an origin Batman movie with Batman not killing people in cowardly ways,but it was great to see Bale as Batman as well.He was the perfect choice for the role and he made you care about him and sympathise for him.He not only had the right physical build and look but also did an outstanding job as Bruce Wayne/Batman with his multiple 3 identitys as Bruce Wayne the playboy,the private Bruce Wayne,and as Batman.I absolutely loved how they explained why he dressed up as a Bat and why he choose the weapons he did to fight crime.Brilliant origin story.Liam Neesan was great in his role as well.

The plot was great as well with great screenwriting.Placing the humor in the right places and making the movie dramatic at the same time.Glad to see it avoided all the campy humor and was a serious Batman film with interesting characters that were sorely lacking in previous films.This film was all about Batman like it should have been that it was such an enjoyable Batman flick to watch.I got my wish in that area as well.Something else I really enjoyed about the movie also was that they showed how the city was run by corrupt officials and how the jury system is corrupt with crooked judges.That is so much the way the real world really is.In that way,this movie really reflected reality.I loved it when he gassed Scarecrow and gave him a dose of his own medicine.I also really loved the explanation that was given on how he got all those cool gadgets such as the batmobile and how he was able to live under a mansion with an underground tunnel to a batcave.Terrific and brilliant screenwriting by Goyer.

In short,everything was great about this movie.The casting choice of Bale for Batman,the supporting cast,very good story,amazing scenery,I absolutely LOVED the look of Gothem and the ariel shots they showed of the city.Kinda reminded me of the city by the bay-san francisco.heh heh.The scenes in the cave with the waterfall were awesome as well.It so much gave you the feeling of a cave.Not to mention the brilliantly filmed scenes of Bale walking through a bunch of Bats like he did a few times.Very clever idea of Goyer and Nolans.The look of Gothem they had when showing the subway making its way through the city was totally amazing as well.Very Breathtaking.As was the scenes in the beginning when he was leaving the ninjas.I think I heard those scenes were like filmed In Iceland I believe.Those were fantastic scenes and fantastic set design.

The only real negatives I have for this film is that Nolan made the same mistake Burton did with Batman 89.No mention of Dick Greyson.So once again we are going to be left hanging in the dark on if Robin will be in a sequel or not. mad Other than that and also the look of the Batmobile,I have no complaints about this movie at all.The story was so good that you could forget the look of the batmobile.Now that they have GOT to improve on in sequels if they want to the movies to keep thriving.But other than those two minor complaints,I loved everything about this movie.Unlike Bakerboy though,I wont go so far as saying its better than Superman.That movie I have no doubt will always remain my favorite comicbook movie.Especially since I have a lot of nostalgia memorys of that movie.But I WILL go so far as to say it is my SECOND favorite comicbook movie ever made.Right after Superman. smile

All in all,on a scale of 1 to 10,I give this movie a rating of 9.5.

Hooray,I can FINALLY put the nightmare franchise of those other four Batman movies behind me.It was all just a bad dream. Happy Dance

Joker1237
Batman 89 was still a good movie, it just well AGE, a lot has change in looks effect since 89.

Mr Parker
Still living in denial on that about Batman 89 I see. big grin

Joker1237
Dont be upset if there is a Robin Yet, they dont need to mention Grayson Yet, He did not relly pick up Robin until like the 4 or so year, And in the comics, Joker was FIRST.

Of couse Scarecrow follow the Joker later.

LousyBoy
As much as I.. and everyone else wants to see Robin in the movies. I am not confident in the way it will transcend into films.
And like I said before, if they cast a Dick Greyson, it will not be the young boy you imagine. A movie just will not cast a teenager to play a lead role in such a movie, Hollywood wont do it. Your gonna get a 20ish actor. An actor with experience.
Id rather have them work with what they have so far. We cant really expect them to cram the WHOLE Batman universe into a few movies and expect it to be quality... hell... arent a lot of comics crap also?

Mr Parker
Actually I would be very happy if they cast a 20ish actor for the role of Robin.That was the main reason I disliked Batman Forever the least was because Robin was in it and also because they had a great origin story for Robin.I loved the origin story for Robin in Batman Forever.The thing that totally ruined that movie for me more than anything though was the horrible casting choice of Chris O'donnel as Robin.He is a horrible actor and he looked practically the same age as Kilmer.He was way too old to be adopted in that movie.That movie was a joke because of those facts That was so stupid when Kilmer said to Alfred-take care of the kid.I mean the guy was a grown man for crying out loud.That movie would have rocked if they had cast scott weinger from FULL HOUSE.He would have been the perfect choice for Robin back then.He looked like he was high school age which is what Robin SHOULD be in a sequel.If you cast someone that looks the role like he does and can pass for high school age like weinger could have,Robin can be a great character.

LousyBoy
O' Donnel was 24 when he shot Forever. the Studios pry wont go below 20. But casting isnt the only hurdle. If they can stay away from Robin, we'll have a great Batman franchise on our hands. But if they use Robin... i will be crossing my fingers more than anything.

Mainstream
now that Batman has Begun..can Robin be too far behind..stay tuned.

Mr Parker
Well he looked a lot older than 24.He looked about the same age as Kilmer.Again they screwed up by not casting Weinger for the role.He looks exactly the part and looked like he was in high school

Mainstream
Robin should be young no older than mid late teens 15 to 17 looking.

Mr Parker
Well with Nolan in charge I feel confident that he will get that right.

Mainstream
Bruce is a laddies man..but all the girls love Richard (was going to say all the girls love dick but that would have be silly)

TheFilmProphet
Originally posted by Mr Parker
The only real negatives I have for this film is that Nolan made the same mistake Burton did with Batman 89.No mention of Dick Greyson.So once again we are going to be left hanging in the dark on if Robin will be in a sequel or not

Actually I don't see that as a mistake at all, it is the first film and it is an origin story at that, so it would not be logical to mention him so early on. Also the longer Robin stays out of this franchise the better the films will be in return and the overall quality will much better as well. A character like Robin could bring a franchise like this tumbling down which I am sure none of us want. I commend Nolan and Goyer for not briniging in Robin and hopefully they never will.

Mainstream
never....never as in never confused178

TheFilmProphet
lol, its probably just me though or maybe I'm still traumatized from Batman Forever and Batman and Robin. Either way, they need to keep him away at least until a 3rd or 4th film in my opinion.

Mainstream
Originally posted by TheFilmProphet
lol, its probably just me though or maybe I'm still traumatized from Batman Forever and Batman and Robin. Either way, they need to keep him away at least until a 3rd or 4th film in my opinion.

like I was saying introduce Dick Grayson in 2
have him become Robin about half way through 3

TheFilmProphet
Sounds decent, except I think he should be introduced in a 3rd instead. The second film will still in one way or another be Batman's beginnings so I don't think Robin should be introduced then. Plus if we want a half decent story that focuses and involves the Joker then Robin should be left out.

FrothByte
It was a great movie definitely. a lot better than the other dark superhero movies as of late (dd,punisher,blade 3). but just so i can balance out myself, im also going to include a few glitches in the film:

1. the actor for a child bruce wayne wasn't very good
-his parents got killed in front of him and he simply looked like he just saw a dead rat.

2. the wayne's exit an opera show into an alley looking like its the most rundown district in gotham. A high class opera with a lot of rich people in a nasty looking building like that?

3. it was funny how bruce didn't want to execute the murderer he was supposed to kill in his rite of passage, but he ended up killing everyone in the dojo anyway.

4. the first part was a bit too fast, i would have loved to indulge a bit more time with bruce's training.

--- anyway, i still enjoyed the movie a LOT. just wanted to give a few critics. id still rate it a 95. hope the superman movie will be as good.

Mr Parker
Actually I don't see that as a mistake at all, it is the first film and it is an origin story at that, so it would not be logical to mention him so early on. Also the longer Robin stays out of this franchise the better the films will be in return and the overall quality will much better as well. A character like Robin could bring a franchise like this tumbling down which I am sure none of us want. I commend Nolan and Goyer for not briniging in Robin and hopefully they never will.

Bite your tongue.To never bring in Robin would be treason.A bad screenplay like Batman and Robin would bring it down,not Robin.

Mr Parker

Now that I can agree on,that he can wait till the third or fourth film.

Creechuur
I too think this is one of the best comic book movies ever, if not THE best. As far as some people complaining about the lack of choreographed fighting, Ducard said it in the beginning of the movie:

THIS IS NOT A DANCE.

Bruce didnt train to become a graceful martial artist. He was trained to take on a legion of bad guys, doing what was necassary to win. Sneaky, brutal, EFFECTIVE...not pretty.

BTW, there was one line Ducard/Ra's says during Bruce's training that really stuck with me.

"Criminals thrive on the indulgence of society's acceptance."

Can someone with a better memory than me confirm that I have it right?

Mainstream
yeah this isn't a dance.

MrHeavySilence
IT WAS THE BEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE EVER!

Batman Begins IS THE BEST! Hollywood has brains afterall.

A+

FrothByte
yeah not a dance... still i was kinda looking forward to more enthralled fight scenes. the sword scene at the beginning was good, but the scene in the training had too many cuts and shadows in it that i couldn't identify who was hitting who.

FrothByte
oh sorry, i meant fight scene in the train.

LousyBoy
the fighting scenes did bother me a little at first. However, Batman Forever was on tv recently and i watched that, and the fighting in that movie is shot from a distance and with longer shots. And,IMO it did really look like a dance to me, it looked cheesy. Just compare the actual fight scenes from Forever to Begins. What Begins did was much better i think.

Mainstream
the fighting scenes did bother me a little at first. However, Batman Forever was on tv recently and i watched that, and the fighting in that movie is shot from a distance and with longer shots. And,IMO it did really look like a dance to me, it looked cheesy. Just compare the actual fight scenes from Forever to Begins. What Begins did was much better i think.

indeed...now on to Dick Grayson.....

LousyBoy
oh yeah... not until the 3rd movie atleast.. haha...

Doc Ock
Mr Parker is happy *breathes a sigh of relief* stick out tongue wink

Now onto the sequal with the clown prince of crime big grin

Mainstream
oh yeah... not until the 3rd movie atleast.. haha...

introduce grayson in 2 have him train..and have him be robin in 3

FrothByte
Originally posted by Mainstream
introduce grayson in 2 have him train..and have him be robin in 3

so what's the title for the next movie gonna be?

batman begins 2
batman begins returns
batman returns robin begins
batman! robin begins

any ideas?

Mainstream
Batman 2: the killing joke
Batman 2: sins of laugher
Batman 2: gotham knight
Batman 2:enter the Joker
Batman 2: the killer smile

surely one of those would work.

Doc Ock
NO ROBIN!!!!!

He sucks.

I hope he never gets used in one of Nolan's Batman movies.

I am glad Nolan said the next one would focus on Batman and The Joker.

Mainstream
Originally posted by Doc Ock
NO ROBIN!!!!!

He sucks.

not even justa little Robin...just a tiny bit

Doc Ock
not even justa little Robin...just a tiny bit

Not even a microscopic bit stick out tongue big grin

Mainstream
Not even a microscopic bit stick out tongue big grin

to each his own.

Mr Parker
NO ROBIN!!!!!

He sucks.

Yes Robin!!!

and no he does not suck,he sucks no worse than Batman.Robin is a must for a sequel.Since this movie was so good,I dont care if he is not introduced till the fourth film but by the fourth,its an absolute must for Robin to be in it.They need to cast an actor who can act for Robin though next time and looks high school age.Otherwise if its a horrible actor who is a grown man and looks as old as Batman like O'donnel did,then I can agree,no Robin then.

Doc Ock
According to Nolan the next one will be all about Batman and The Joker.

No room for the red breasted brat.Which makes me very happy wink

Mainstream
According to Nolan the next one will be all about Batman and The Joker.

No room for the red breasted brat.Which makes me very happy wink

okay.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Kainreaver
In light of the dissapointment of the Sandman being the villan in the 3rd spiderman film. And a PROMISING Batman trilogy in the works, has anyone elses attention switched from the Wallcrawler to the Dark Night?

Since there hasnt been a good spidey flick made yey but they FINALLY made a Good Batman movie,it has been very easy for me to support the Begins movie now and turn away from the wallcrawler especially since this movie redeemed themselves from the nightmare franchise of the other four Batman films.All just a bad dream in the past.

Mainstream
coughing *Robin*

obi_wans_beard
NO ROBIN!!!!!

He sucks.

Do you have a link to those Nolan comments? I was under the impression he hasn't signed on for a sequel yet.

Mr Parker
coughing *Robin*

coughing *Batman sequel never made without Robin.*

atheist
The Joker kills Bruce's family not some random criminal. This was a big plot hole which ruined the movie for me.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by atheist
The Joker kills Bruce's family not some random criminal. This was a big plot hole which ruined the movie for me.

I hope you are talking about how Batman 89 ruined the movie for you because of that? because unlike Batman 89,this Batman was faithful and loyal to the comicbook.In the comics,Joe Chill was the person who murdered his parents and he didnt know that for like over a decade or so I believe.Batman 89 betrayed the comics because they made The Joker be the killer of Batman's parents.Thats one of many things which that movie screwed up big time and why its not a faithful comicbook movie adaptation like Batman Begins is.

Joker1237
Mr Parker, we all know Twoface played no part in the deaths of Robin's family, but you never go on about that, and claim Batman Forever is the best out of the 4, and more true to the comics.

But Twoface killing Robin's fokes, was worse, At least with the Joker, it can always be a unknow, If it was not for that one line, One may not have connectd the dots.

Of couse we all know Joker did the murders.

Mr Parker
I have always said that I was dissapointed with Batman Forever as well,that they they all sucked and that was one of the things I did not like about Batman Forever was the whole two face thing.He should have been left out of the movie.I just wasnt as dissapointed with it as the other three.

Doc Ock
Hey Parker what did you think of Jack Nicholson as The Joker???

Mr Parker
I liked his portrayel of The Joker but just like Keaton,I was dissapointed with the choice of him as the Joker because he did not have the right look or the right build for the role.To me,Ceasar Romero from the 60's camp show will always be the true joker brought to life from the comicbook to the screen.

Doc Ock
Just like Burgess Meredith will always be the true Penguin.

Mr Parker
RIGHTO. big grin Except Nicholsons portrayel of The Joker I liked,I could not stand Devitos portrayel of The Penguin.He was trying way too hard to be funny but he wasnt funny at all.

Sileas
*looks at the title of the thread* so um....who else liked the scenes of him putting things together? playing with the belt, playing with them long things on his fingers, conversation with alfred "ten thousand?! well, then so we'll have spares!" smile kinda like those times in gradeschool when you were ordered to fork over your math "scratch paper" so the teacher could see your figuring. we got to see his scratch paper! Happy Dance

pr1983

Red Superfly
Here's my review:

I saw it, and it was awesome.

pr1983
Originally posted by Red Superfly
Here's my review:

I saw it, and it was awesome.

way to overshadow me... schmoll

Red Superfly
Well I pretty much agree on your review anyway.

pr1983
Originally posted by Red Superfly
Well I pretty much agree on your review anyway.

ah... k... embarrasment

Mr Parker
*looks at the title of the thread* so um....who else liked the scenes of him putting things together? playing with the belt, playing with them long things on his fingers, conversation with alfred "ten thousand?! well, then so we'll have spares!" smile kinda like those times in gradeschool when you were ordered to fork over your math "scratch paper" so the teacher could see your figuring. we got to see his scratch paper! Happy Dance

what would we do without your funny wit Sileas? big grin btw,how did you like my review? smile

bakerboy
Good review, mr parker. Im glad to see that you loved the movie too, althought not so as me, but almost.

Mr Parker
It was great to see Batmans character not seriously butchered to death this time around like Burtons films did.That they didnt make him into a cowardly killer killing people when it could have easily been avoided.

Sileas
sniffed your review over again sir parker. cool! readng every review is kinda like seeing the movie again. and I'm going to go commune with the movie again tomorrow.

going to remember to watch for several things this time. first, that flash in the beginning of the joker. second, this guy can even act with his feet! one brief flash of a scene, he's just pasted some baddies, and you see him step over some body. you see it only for about a second, and from about the knees down, but you know it's batman, 'cause you see the edge of the cloak, but it's like the equivalent of blowing smoke outa the barrel. shees!

third thing. when he pops off and writes the check for the hotel----is he a leftie? cool

yeah, though, that first fight scene was probably the only bad one, really could not tell who was hitting who.

Sileas
oh,yes, and your point of him not killing unless certain conditions are met:
1. this person gravely threatens the quality of life of a large portion of the city (and I don't mean zoning laws).

2. they would be next to impossible to restrain by conventional means, from the police to the courts to the prison. can you imagine putting handcuffs on ras? how long would that last? probably even shorter than trying to cuff Bats.

3. this person is happily willing to kill people to accomplish this plan.

vaya_the_elf
Okay here is my review of Batman Begins.Great flick.This is the Batman movie we should have had back in 89 but were cheated out of.This movie was awesome,great from start to finish.This is the kind of Batman movie I was expecting to see back in 89 but did not get till now.This movie had the kind of excitement and action that you would expect to see in a Batman movie.Lots of action from start to finish with not only that,but a great story as well.It was great to see Bruce Wayne learn the arts of the ninja and see how he became a martial arts expert and they showed his true character,a guy who can EASILY beat up SEVERAL men at one time because of his martial arts training which we saw in the beginning. Not this wimp who cant even beat one guy.They also faithfully showed that Bruce Wayne will not take a life unless it is absolutely necessary and there is no other choice.Thank god they did not butcher to death his character again in this film and turn him into a cowardly killer killing when there is no need to.Nolan was the right man all along as we all knew.Not only was it pleasing to see an origin Batman movie with Batman not killing people in cowardly ways,but it was great to see Bale as Batman as well.He was the perfect choice for the role and he made you care about him and sympathise for him.He not only had the right physical build and look but also did an outstanding job as Bruce Wayne/Batman with his multiple 3 identitys as Bruce Wayne the playboy,the private Bruce Wayne,and as Batman.I absolutely loved how they explained why he dressed up as a Bat and why he choose the weapons he did to fight crime.Brilliant origin story.Liam Neesan was great in his role as well.

The plot was great as well with great screenwriting.Placing the humor in the right places and making the movie dramatic at the same time.Glad to see it avoided all the campy humor and was a serious Batman film with interesting characters that were sorely lacking in previous films.This film was all about Batman like it should have been that it was such an enjoyable Batman flick to watch.I got my wish in that area as well.Something else I really enjoyed about the movie also was that they showed how the city was run by corrupt officials and how the jury system is corrupt with crooked judges.That is so much the way the real world really is.In that way,this movie really reflected reality.I loved it when he gassed Scarecrow and gave him a dose of his own medicine.I also really loved the explanation that was given on how he got all those cool gadgets such as the batmobile and how he was able to live under a mansion with an underground tunnel to a batcave.Terrific and brilliant screenwriting by Goyer.

In short,everything was great about this movie.The casting choice of Bale for Batman,the supporting cast,very good story,amazing scenery,I absolutely LOVED the look of Gothem and the ariel shots they showed of the city.Kinda reminded me of the city by the bay-san francisco.heh heh.The scenes in the cave with the waterfall were awesome as well.It so much gave you the feeling of a cave.Not to mention the brilliantly filmed scenes of Bale walking through a bunch of Bats like he did a few times.Very clever idea of Goyer and Nolans.The look of Gothem they had when showing the subway making its way through the city was totally amazing as well.Very Breathtaking.As was the scenes in the beginning when he was leaving the ninjas.I think I heard those scenes were like filmed In Iceland I believe.Those were fantastic scenes and fantastic set design.

The only real negatives I have for this film is that Nolan made the same mistake Burton did with Batman 89.No mention of Dick Greyson.So once again we are going to be left hanging in the dark on if Robin will be in a sequel or not. mad Other than that and also the look of the Batmobile,I have no complaints about this movie at all.The story was so good that you could forget the look of the batmobile.Now that they have GOT to improve on in sequels if they want to the movies to keep thriving.But other than those two minor complaints,I loved everything about this movie.Unlike Bakerboy though,I wont go so far as saying its better than Superman.That movie I have no doubt will always remain my favorite comicbook movie.Especially since I have a lot of nostalgia memorys of that movie.But I WILL go so far as to say it is my SECOND favorite comicbook movie ever made.Right after Superman. smile

All in all,on a scale of 1 to 10,I give this movie a rating of 9.5.

Hooray,I can FINALLY put the nightmare franchise of those other four Batman movies behind me.It was all just a bad dream. Happy Dance

eek! I can't believe what I'm hearing.

Can it be true??? You actually liked a batman movie...

I think the world shall end right now.

Oh well. Lets party first Happy Dance

Mr Parker
why is that so surprising. most people who did not like the other Batman films either have said they liked this film as well.

pr1983
why is that so surprising. most people who did not like the other Batman films either have said they liked this film as well.

she's teasing...

vaya_the_elf

stick out tongue You know what I mean.

Most of the time you always have negative things to say about batman stuff, and other comic book stuff.

so i just thought it was cool that you liked. Thats all.

Joker1237
I just saw it, IT was a good movie, not Great,(Batman 89 still is tops on my list)

Scarecrow was played right, and so was Ra to a level, I was upset with Ra, at first, it felt like I was watching the highlander in a Batman movie, than it started getting better When Bruce became Bats.

But that highlander feel at the begaining, kinda of ruin it for a while. Now on to Ra, I was upset with him in some parts, I agree if they want a "Quick" Bruce Wayne learning the arts, than thats the way to go. But habing Ra train Bruce did not work well imo. BUT it could make sense.

I did like Ra's plan of the poisioning the water system, But wish Scarecrow played a bigger part, he was a patsey. A other underline guy to Ra. Scarecrow works on his own in the comics. But over all not bad.

Sileas
saw it again.

bugger, he's right handed.

that WAS the jocker in the beginning!

so THAT'S why everyone's calling it the tumbler. I didn't hear that word the first time in the movie, but I caught it today. ok, that car is capable of growing on me. or at least its performance and horsepower certainly is.

#$*&, this is a cool movie. my all time favorite movie is actually The Black Stallion, but this one I think is my favorite *modern* movie, just because they did it so right. character. excellent. when it comes out on dvd, i'm going to be chain smoking it as much as I am currently chain smoking the soundtrack. yum yum yum.

DarkAge
Originally posted by Leafar
Yes, Batman Begins was the best Batman movie so far, and I would rate it as one of the top ten best comic book movies of all time, but I can not say it is the absolute best ever. For me, X-Men II is number 1. However, it is a great movie and every comic book fan in the world should see it. BTW, I want Johnny Depp or Crispin Glover to be the new Joker.

It would be cool to have Mark Hamill play the Joker except he's a little short for a Stormtrooper... I mean the Joker. I saw the movie last night, I'd give it 8.5 out of ten. I'll post my full review tomorrow.

DarkAge
OK, my conversation with Olivia has been cut short so I get I'll post my review now.

The Pros:
I was pleasantly surprised with how faithful the movie was to the comics. It took the Batman story very seriously (which actually worked as a con as well which I'll explain) and at 2:40 in length it enabled explanations for everything about Batman, making everything that was questionable in terms of its plausibility acceptable to the viewer. Unlike in the all style no substance Batman '89, Begins didn't just make the villain of the movie the killer of Wayne's parents just because it was convenient. Similar to in The Animated Series, Bale also changed his voice so it was different when Wayne was being Batman. Fear was certainly a theme in this movie, although I wish it had been explored a bit more, maybe as a comparison to the situation in the United States. The actor's protrayal of all the characters I thought was perfect, although I wish they'd focussed more on the Scarecrow and his fear of birds.

The Cons:
Alfred's accent wasn't refined enough. Incomplete soundtrack. It was similar to TAS but as I said not as complete. They also didn't need EVERY fight scene to be so hard to see. Gordon driving the Batmobile (although thankfully it isn't refered to as the Batmobile) was a bit silly. Not sensational enough. Like Hulk, the movie took itself a bit too seriously, but not to the extent that the Schumacher films didn't take themselves seriously enough.

Overall. 8.5/10. All the other Batman movies are a complete joke compared to this one. Finally a movie made for the Batman fans, a movie which makes Batman "real".

munkiesarus
oh,yes, and your point of him not killing unless certain conditions are met:
1. this person gravely threatens the quality of life of a large portion of the city (and I don't mean zoning laws).

2. they would be next to impossible to restrain by conventional means, from the police to the courts to the prison. can you imagine putting handcuffs on ras? how long would that last? probably even shorter than trying to cuff Bats.

3. this person is happily willing to kill people to accomplish this plan.

Even shorter than trying to cuff Bats, eh?

Bruce Wayne : Fugitive arc, anyone?

benx
can i ask,
did anyone think there where bits missing?or bits skiped over?

Freaky Zeeky
Well, this afternoon i have been one of the lukiest men on earth because a friend of mine is a cinema critic and he invited me to a special release for the press of batman begins in my country, spain, Althought the movie will be released next friday. And man, five words: BEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE EVER. Forgive superman movies, forgive man spider movies, forvige x men movies, daredevil , the hulk, punisher, etc, and specially forgive the four previous batman movies, THIS IS THE DEFINITIVE BATMAN MOVIE. For me, the other four dont exists. I will try dont tell too much for the people to keep the amazing effect of the movie when you see it for first time. Lets begin with the review:
First image of the movie, the warner bros loge turning into bats , whoaoooo, i was totally exited when i see it.

The first hour of the movie is about Young Bruce Wayne life and his training and travels for the world, his relationshipe with the misterous henry ducard, his remember of his parents murder and his feel of guilty, he wants to do something and find justice , but he doesnt know how . Ducard trained him and teach him how to concentrate his fell of guilty and rage in one objetive, and how to controlls his fear and use it to scare his enemies. This part of the movie is essential to understand who Bruce Wayne is and why he becomes batman.

Second part of the movie, gotham city. That is the gotham city of the comics, forgive burton and shumacher cities, that is the definitive gotham city. A corrupted, realistic and dark city that looks like a hell itself. We see the bruce wayne as he is in the comics. A tall, handsome, muscular and arrogant and silly play boy who are all day in parties and try to gets all the women. And we see batman, best batman ever, serious, intimidating and creepy. The definitive batman. We see Falcone, scarecrow, alfred, jim gordon, batmovile, batcave, etc. That is the world of dc comics . A lot of action, a lot of good action scenes, batman doing martial arts, scarecrow creepy as hell, awsome scenes with batmovile, a fine love story with rachel ( katie holmes) and spectacular end. What a end. Absolutely wonderful. At the end of the movie, you have the feeling that you know who batman and bruce wayne is and what are his motivations and why this guy wears a bat costume and fights the crime every night.

The good points: 95% of them. CHRISTIAN BALE IS THE MAN. He is amazing as batman and even more amazing as Bruce Wayne, his voice, his look, his conversations with alfred, his eyes, his screen presence.he isnt playing batman, he is batman. He was as good as Chris Reeve as superman.

The supporting cast is amazing: katie holmes is very good, Cillian Murphy is totally creepy as scarecrow/professor crane, Oldman, Wilkinson, Hauer, Watanebe and Freeman are very good , but specially Michael Caine and Liam Neeson. Caine`s alfred is brillaint, as good as michael gough was, his relationship with bruce and his sense of humour is great. Neeson is great too, his misterious and powerful precense as ducard almost steals the show. Really, Bale, Caine and Neeson stealed the show, with Murphy in a close second.

Bad points: Batmovile design: it should have been a lot better, but it stils works better than i thought.

The references to the burton movies: i thought that it was a total re start of the series, so , some references to the burton movies pissed me off.

To resume it, Best batman movie and best comic boock movie ever. At the end of the screening, almost all the people were aplauding in the cinema, including myself and my friend. Go and see quickly. a 9'9 of 10.

Can't wait to see the movie.

Sileas
Originally posted by benx
can i ask,
did anyone think there where bits missing?or bits skiped over?

well, here's something: in the first full length trailer, if I remember right, there's a brief flash of a building, by day, not the wayne building. the top floor's windows are blown out in an explosion that pretty much covers the whole top floor, or what we can see of it.

Joker1237
IT was decent, they change more to this than Batman 89.

Scarecrow NEVER work at Arkham in the comics.

Bruce Wayne never had a girlfreind loved, as a kid growing up.

Ra never Train Bruce. Nor did Ra have bodie doubles,

Batman would have saved Ra any way, and oh yeah Ra had a daughter, That would have been a better loved story than what we got.

Fox and Wayne were never relly that close. And Alf did not have that big of a impact in this movie like the Alf of the Batman comics.

TheFilmProphet
well, here's something: in the first full length trailer, if I remember right, there's a brief flash of a building, by day, not the wayne building. the top floor's windows are blown out in an explosion that pretty much covers the whole top floor, or what we can see of it.

You mean this, it was in the film.

http://tinypic.com/6f7g21

Fox and Wayne were never relly that close. And Alf did not have that big of a impact in this movie like the Alf of the Batman comics.

Alf? http://tinypic.com/6f7gb8

Mr Parker
Originally posted by vaya_the_elf
stick out tongue You know what I mean.

Most of the time you always have negative things to say about batman stuff, and other comic book stuff.

so i just thought it was cool that you liked. Thats all.

Yeah I cant believe it myself that the only one complaint I really had about it was that they left us hanging in the dark again if Robin would be in a sequel or not by not mentioning Dick Greysons name. sad

As I said earlier,the four other Batman films were all nothing but just a bad nightmare thats finally all over with. Since hollywood redeemed themselves with the Batman franchise by FINALLY making a good Batman movie,this gives me hope that in the future maybe 15 to 20 years later from 2002,they will also redeem themselves again and make a good movie with the guy I have in my avatar and sig. smile There is hope now. smile

What I really loved about this movie was that they cleared up the lies about his character from the first two films,that he doesnt kill people when he was talking to his mentor saying-I will fight crime and help bring justice to gothem-"or something similiar to that" and then said-but I will not execute someone. Thats the true Batman.People now know the truth about Batman,they now will know that idiot Tim Burton lied about his character with his horrible films that butchered to death his character. Happy Dance

Matter of fact,I saw this movie again this weekend with my best friend in his parents as a birthday present to both of us since out birthdays are so close together,and his parents came out of the theater saying the same thing,that unlike the other Batman films,they really liked THIS Batman movie.Matter of fact before the movie started,they were saying they did not like Burtons films either because of how he killed people in they were really happy to see how this movie showed how Batman will not kill people no matter how evil they are.

Red Superfly
When I saw the movie I thought "anyone that doesn't like this film is a ****tard!"

I was so sick of Batman being directly responsible for peoples murder in the previous movies.

Joker - Although it was technically an accident, he didn't even TRY to stop him. Plus he killed quite a few goons of his. Joker's death is slightly forgivable considerring the predicament Batman himself was in, and to be honest, the statue giving away was something nobody would have expected,, so I guess it wasn't that bad.

Penguin - Didn't even TRY to save him. Again, seemingly accident-like, but Batman was still responsible. He actually went so far as to blow up some of Penguins goons with dynamite earlier in the film - with intention.

Two-Face - Worst one of the lot as far as baddies deaths are concerned. Batman so clearly wanted Harvey to fall. He threw the coins in the air and just watched him fall, didn't even try. This isn't like Joker where he tried to tie him up, or confuse Penguin with the bats and they both ended up dead. This was different, he wanted his one-time friend to fall and die. Inexcusable really.

Now, with Begins, Batman simply left Ra's alone. Ra got himself into that situation, and Batman cleverly abided by his own rules perfectly, but still shown to everyone he was a ruthless son of a b!tch when he needs to. As far as Batman is concerned, Ra's killed himself. This is what sets this new Batman apart from any of the others, because it demonstrated how Batman thinks and shown how his justice works.

Sileas
watched the trailer again, proph. you be right. smile

benx

ok my dvd must have a few bits missing as thats not in my copy....
have a missed abit from...
the scarecrow has the girl in the basement, having shown her that there poisnering the water...what batman appears,
they all know its batman..but how?
thats the first time hes worn the batsuit out...?
or have a i missed a bit?
please help

benx
Scarecrow NEVER work at Arkham in the comics.

didnt he?
he did in the cartoon tho yes?

TheFilmProphet
watched the trailer again, proph. you be right. smile

Glad I could help. smile

Originally posted by benx
ok my dvd must have a few bits missing as thats not in my copy....
have a missed abit from...
the scarecrow has the girl in the basement, having shown her that there poisnering the water...what batman appears,
they all know its batman..but how?
thats the first time hes worn the batsuit out...?
or have a i missed a bit?
please help

It seems ALL of that will be solved if you simply see this film in theatres rather than on a bootleg. wink

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>