Opinions

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

KharmaDog
Is everyone's opinon equal. When is someone's opinion more valuable than another's, if ever? What constitutes a valid opinion?

Bardock42
Well opinions are generally the same.....you need a moral system to make them more or less valueable.....well that is for opinions on not natural things like states or behaviour...if someone had the opinion that the moon is the centre of the universe his opinion would of course not be worth very much....

FeceMan
Everyone here will say that, OF COURSE, everyone's opinion is equal.

But you know that they are blatant liars. I do my best to look at both sides of a situation before judging, but I'm not going to say that I view everyone's opinion as equal. I should, but being honest, well, owns my hopes of being equal.

Bardock42
Originally posted by FeceMan
Everyone here will say that, OF COURSE, everyone's opinion is equal.

But you know that they are blatant liars. I do my best to look at both sides of a situation before judging, but I'm not going to say that I view everyone's opinion as equal. I should, but being honest, well, owns my hopes of being equal.

When you said everyone...you d9idn't mean me....did you What the f**k?

botankus
It also has a lot to do with the crowd surrounding you.

Simple example using American Football:

For instance, if you walk into a New York Jets bar and start telling them that the Jets suck and how much better the Buffalo Bills are, they will think very litle of your opinion and probably think you have mental difficiencies as well.

If you walk into a Buffalo Bills bar and start telling them that the Jets suck, they will bring up that missed FG last year and welcome your statement with open arms.

Fire
Originally posted by KharmaDog
Is everyone's opinon equal. When is someone's opinion more valuable than another's, if ever? What constitutes a valid opinion?

Karma, you're asking quite a few different questions here.
So I'll break down my answer as well stick out tongue

Is everyone's opinion equal?

Depends on how you look at it and what you mean with equal, If you mean equal as in is everyone entitled to give an opinion about subject than yes every opinion is equal, no matter how dumb they may look to someone. It's not because you do not agree with an opinion that it is unequal to your own.

Now if you mean equal as in equally valuable for the argument. Than of course there is a huge difference. An opinion which shows, and better yet which shows the sources and ways for gathering, relevant information towards the argument is far more valuable than an opinion without any sources provided. (This only works in arguments where facts and data can be used, I.E. Religious and most philosophy debates aren't included)

I also already answered the value question
(see above)

What constitutes a valid opinion
(see above)

Altho it again depends on what you mean with valid, everyone has a right to an opinion so in theory every opinion should be valid.

Lana
I think Fire nailed it best smile

Whoa, Botankus, you changed your sig! I like it smile

botankus
Originally posted by Lana
Whoa, Botankus, you changed your sig! I like it smile

Thanks, Lana! What a better way to kick off Hurricane season, eh?

Cinemaddiction
I think the only opinion that matters is that of a professional. Simple as that.

There are times that people will take *my* opinion into consideration when it comes to movies. Not because I am necessarily a "professional", just a big fan who's devoted, unbiased, and usually pretty fair when it comes to film.

Bardock42
Doesn't anyone know this old saying...what was it again...ah yes "Opinions are like the french..no one likes them and they eat frog legs"......hmmm sounds strange somehow.

FeceMan
Originally posted by Bardock42
Doesn't anyone know this old saying...what was it again...ah yes "Opinions are like the french..no one likes them and they eat frog legs"......hmmm sounds strange somehow.
OMG U CANT TALK ABOUT OUR AMPHIBIOUS ALLIES LIEK TAHT!!111!!!111

americans r fat tehy suxx0rz lolz

Big Evil
I pick and choose who's opinions mean more then other's. Naturaly most are in relation to how "I" feel about the situation. But there are exseptions. I commend the strong, like Howard Dean and Michal Moore. Look at how much I idolize O' Reilly despite how he's a xenophobic jerk..

However to say everyone's opinion is equal is not only false, but would be horribly demeaning to those opinions that matter. And if someone doesn't like it, hey, ****'em.. It's all about natural selection there sparky.

Big Evil
Originally posted by botankus
It also has a lot to do with the crowd surrounding you.

Simple example using American Football:

For instance, if you walk into a New York Jets bar and start telling them that the Jets suck and how much better the Buffalo Bills are, they will think very litle of your opinion and probably think you have mental difficiencies as well.

If you walk into a Buffalo Bills bar and start telling them that the Jets suck, they will bring up that missed FG last year and welcome your statement with open arms.
You hit it dead on. Which is why liberals suck so ****ing badly in this country of our's. They are the die-hard Buffalo fans ranting on a soapbox about how the Jets cheat.

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by Big Evil
I commend the strong, like Howard Dean and Michal Moore.

Michael Moore's opinions are backed with fabrication, an extreme bias, and doctored elements, not facts.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by Big Evil
I commend the strong, like Howard Dean and Michal Moore. Look at how much I idolize O' Reilly despite how he's a xenophobic jerk..

Yes, sounds like a very intelligent reason to value one's opinion.

So basically, no matter if an opinion is supported by inaccurate back information, or illogical arguments or even is solely expressed in order to raise one's standing in the media or in the eyes of one's fans, you commend people so long as they shout their opinion with conviction?

Big Evil
Peace is a lie.. There is only passion..

KharmaDog
Sensless babble is only that, senseless babble.

Alpha Centauri
Everyone has the right to an opinion.

That's about where it ends really.

In, for example, music. No band is scientifically provable to be better than another. But if someone claims that Simple Plan are better than System of a Down, they're an idiot.

They're entitled fully to that opinion, but it's still an idiotic opinion.

-AC

bilb
Just because I dont agree with an opinion doesnt mean I dont value it (all recent posting to the contrary stick out tongue)

Deano
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
Michael Moore's opinions are backed with fabrication, an extreme bias, and doctored elements, not facts.

moore whitewashed 9/11...he didnt expose the real truth..he made out to believe that bush was just some idiot who accidenty allowed 9/11 to happen because he was on to many vacations...thats not the real reality..he aided bush and his minions

jaden101
Opinions are like collectible Nascar plates: they depreciate quickly when taken out of the box.

Opinions are like beef tartar: best served raw by old Russian women.

Opinions are like Ethan Hawke's books: there's a certain awkward charm, but no one is going to be flinging their undies over it.

Opinions are like fire ants: I have to be rubbed down with calamine once I'm exposed to them.

Opinions are like armadillos: they can carry leprosy.

Opinions are like the state of pop music: dead since Tears for Fears disbanded.

Opinions are like the Panama Canal: I've never really understood the significance, although I'm sure it's there somewhere.

Opinions are like Segways: owned by crazy billionaires for the purpose of running over your kitty.

Opinions are like marijuana plants: when the RA finds out, you are so busted.

Opinions are like those frozen fish patties you bought a while back: they lurk in the back of the refrigerator, and when you finally try one, you puke your butt off.

Opinions are like Gerard Depardieu: a little too European for most people.

Opinions are like the bus station: the last refuge for lost souls and people in search of low-grade goofballs.

Opinions are like baby corn: only there so old ladies can have something to talk about while eating brunch.

Opinions are like conjoined twins: I have nightmares that they're chasing after me with a big harpoon.

Opinions are like Colin Farrell: Destined to die a long, painful death, probably at the hands of a Laotian hooker.

GCG
I would need to see why does a person form an opinion. If its backed by facts and experiences from different sources of the same matter, altough i would not agree with them, i would still give it value.

but thats mu opinion of course big grin

bilb
Originally posted by jaden101
Opinions are like collectible Nascar plates: they depreciate quickly when taken out of the box.

Opinions are like Ethan Hawke's books: there's a certain awkward charm, but no one is going to be flinging their undies over it.

Opinions are like fire ants: I have to be rubbed down with calamine once I'm exposed to them.

Opinions are like the Panama Canal: I've never really understood the significance, although I'm sure it's there somewhere.

Opinions are like Segways: owned by crazy billionaires for the purpose of running over your kitty.

Opinions are like those frozen fish patties you bought a while back: they lurk in the back of the refrigerator, and when you finally try one, you puke your butt off.

Opinions are like the bus station: the last refuge for lost souls and people in search of low-grade goofballs.

Opinions are like baby corn: only there so old ladies can have something to talk about while eating brunch.

Opinions are like conjoined twins: I have nightmares that they're chasing after me with a big harpoon.

Opinions are like Colin Farrell: Destined to die a long, painful death, probably at the hands of a Laotian hooker.

Ahh, wisdom by way of bumperstickers stick out tongue

jaden101
Originally posted by bilb
Ahh, wisdom by way of bumperstickers stick out tongue

is their any other kind that is so poetic?

KidRock
Originally posted by Deano
moore whitewashed 9/11...he didnt expose the real truth..he made out to believe that bush was just some idiot who accidenty allowed 9/11 to happen because he was on to many vacations...thats not the real reality..he aided bush and his minions

^Deano speaks the truth. Bush isn't even real. He lives up in a space ship. Aliens control the world now, and they conducted 9/11. Also the tsunami was a new special test missile fired by the khazakastans to see if they can create earthquakes. Right Deano?

bilb
is their any other kind that is so poetic?

well there are always Tshirt slogans too stick out tongue

jaden101
opinions opinions opinions

i havent been on KMC very long (since february) and from my time here there is very few people who's opinions i have respect for

top of the list is GCG simply cause i know him from another forum long before i joined KMC

other mentions would be

cinemaddiction who has good knowlege of film and seems to take an interest in more than just the hollywood blockbusters

df02 who puts across good points in the music forum and does so without the need for flaming

backfire who has quite a bit to say about quite a bit of stuff but also tries to keep things on topic and keeps us hoodlums in check

PVC who is very opinionated and can sometimes get a bit rowdy but still puts across a good argument although occasionally sinks down to the level of some of the mongs that just post insults... i dont always agree with PVC but its a fun debate nonetheless

and dare i say it...even

AC...who can sometimes seem so far up his own back end with regards to his musical taste that it can grate people severely...but still manages to put across his argument better than the "dude...your music sucks ass" brigade that seems far to prevalent on KMC

KharmaDog
I agree with GCG, cinemaddiction, backfire and PVS. But I would also add you and Finti to that list Jaden.

I don't agree with everything that these people say, but I often respect or am entertained by the way they say it.

Alpha Centauri
I'm not "up my own back end" about my music taste.

I know it's great, why should I downplay it so that others don't say something negative, which I could easily handle anyway?

-AC

Deano
Originally posted by KidRock
^Deano speaks the truth. Bush isn't even real. He lives up in a space ship. Aliens control the world now, and they conducted 9/11. Also the tsunami was a new special test missile fired by the khazakastans to see if they can create earthquakes. Right Deano?

too silly...

PVS
PVC who is very opinionated and can sometimes get a bit rowdy but still puts across a good argument although occasionally sinks down to the level of some of the mongs that just post insults... i dont always agree with PVC but its a fun debate nonetheless

what can i say...that whole "star wars exploits tragedies" debate really ruffled my feathers stick out tongue

btw, its PVSwink

Alpha Centauri
That was actually a freudian slip.

Watch your back, PVS.

-AC

DeRFmAn
I dunno, I think its generally a given that the person who has supporting facts or information to influence an opinion would also have a more valuable one.

E.M.Howlett
I think that there are as many oppinions as many people on this planet, because each of us form the opinion taking into consideration his life expiriense, his upbringing, nowerdays interests and so on

Deano
my opinion is more important than anyones on here...

KharmaDog
Originally posted by Deano
my opinion is more important than anyones on here...

in your opinion.

Deano
in your opinion.

exactly! cool

Bardock42
in your opinion.

Well yes but since that is the most important opinion anyways......

Deano
of course

jaden101
Originally posted by PVS

btw, its PVSwink

oops...sorry 'bout that

shifty

PVS

btw you forgot:

opinions are like assholes: everyone's got one and they all stink big grin

jaden101
i did forget it...but hey...it was a cut n paste job...i'll admit it...and i'll be proud of it too big grin big grin big grin big grin

ApolloX
Opinions are immunity to being told your wrong. its on my sig.

RedAlertv2

Honestly, I value the opinions of intelligent, knowledgable people more than I do the opinions of idiots.

dark1365
Opinion matters in debates if their support is clear and evidence is present.

GCG
Opinions are like Shit:

Hardly smell good,
Easy to step on,
And dry out after a short period of time.

Ou Be Low hoo
I've had a few arguments recently with some people simply because I debated the 'quality' of their opinions. I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but when the opinion is fundamentally flawed then I don't consider it worthy in 'quality'.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
This is a continuation of KharmaDog's thread, with the extended discussion point:

People whose opinions show a high degree of ignorance should be told that their opinions are flawed.

Discuss.

Makedde

I strongly believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, whether or not other people disagree. Everyone's opinion is important, no opinion is more worthy, or more valuble than another's.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I think that's a stupid opinion because it gives credability to idiots.

(I've used a curious brand of irony in the above sentence. See if you can detect it...)

Makedde
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo

I don't care whether a person is an idiot or not. Peoples opinions should be respected, because if you don't respect a persons opinion, you are not respecting that person.

Shakyamunison
An opinion that you find of value.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Well, Makedde, by default you're saying you respect idiots. Good call.

DiamondBullets

sad As a retard, I find that very offensive.

Makedde

You only think they are idiots because you don't agree with them. You're as bad as AC. roll eyes (sarcastic)

DiamondBullets
Originally posted by Makedde
You only think they are idiots because you don't agree with them. You're as bad as AC. roll eyes (sarcastic)

laughing out loud

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I take it as a compliment that you're saying that I don't agree with idiots. Good call #2!

Alpha Centauri
Everyone has the right to an opinion but if they use that right to uphold and idiotic opinion then that's how it goes.

Makedde, you seem to think that because everyone has the right to an opinion, everyone has to say "Yeah that's right, I don't agree but that's right." Which is stupid.

-AC

Victor Von Doom

(I've used a curious brand of irony in the above sentence. See if you can detect it...)

Was it the spelling error? Or is that additional irony?

I don't care whether a person is an idiot or not. Peoples opinions should be respected, because if you don't respect a persons opinion, you are not respecting that person.

It's not compulsory to do so, though.

People get carried away with believing that an opinion is the conceptual antonym of a fact, and as a result think that all opinions are unimpeachable.

PVS
i cant view certain opinions as just that.
some opinions are built on widespread lies and half-truths,
some are just dangerous. i dont feel that freedom of speech is the issue,
and believe in the idea fully and unconditionally.
but if you present an overall psychotic opinion like the ever prevalent
"we should just nuke the whole middle east" then i will attack that.
so dont feed me the "its just my opinion blah blah free speech blah blah"
since at that point my opinion is that you're an ******* and will then
excercise MY freedom of speech in expressing that.

Alpha Centauri
That's true PVS.

People forget that if they're going to preach about "I have the right to an opinion" then I too have the right to an opinion on YOUR opinion.

-AC

Shakyamunison
^ but are those opinions valid?

Alpha Centauri
Opinions on opinions? Are they valid?

Yes Shaky, welcome to the discussion board.

-AC

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Was it the spelling error? Or is that additional irony?

A little bit of both, but also absolutely nothing of either.

All my mistakes are intentional. Unless, I did them on purpose. In this case, I did it on purpose, so it was definitely intentional.

So, with AC and PVS, I concur and am definitely down with the 411. No more Rhum (intentional) for me. Don't know what I'm talking about.

2/28 = Peace Day. Wig out, man.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Opinions on opinions? Are they valid?

Yes Shaky, welcome to the discussion board.

-AC

Alpha Centauri
Well no, everyone's opinion isn't equal, but everyone has equal right to express that opinion.

The opinions themselves may very well not be equal.

-AC

Ya Krunk'd Floo
How many of my opinions equal that of a bunch of monkeys?

Shakyamunison

Most of them, but that's just my opinion. laughing

PVS

indiviually or collectively? the monkeys i mean

Ya Krunk'd Floo
In my opinion, one of you is complimenting me...But which one...which one?

Shakyamunison
Working your way though opinions is like being at a really good cafeteria, but someone has randomly replaced certain dishes with shit. So you have to be really careful before you put something on your plate.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
What a terrible simile! All cafeterias are crap! Dining on my opinions is like enjoying a meal at a Cordon Bleu recognised restaurant; not everyone has the palate to appreciate them, but those that do know that they're getting something special.

Bon appetit, tu petit merde!

Inspectah Deck

An opinion is more valuable than someone else's when the subject is more valuable, IMHO

Fishy
But what if we both have an opinion about the same subject?

WrathfulDwarf
Opinions are meaningless...specially mine.

What really matters are the facts.

Inspectah Deck
Originally posted by Fishy
But what if we both have an opinion about the same subject?

Then their equal, until proved not

KharmaDog
Everyone's opinion is important, no opinion is more worthy, or more valuble than another's.

I find that to be an utterly foolish statement.

If I am speaking to two people regarding current world events and one is CNN Christine Amanpour (sp?) and the other is Paris Hilton, are you saying that Paris Hilton's opinons are just as valuable as Christine's?

That is just stupid.

Inspectah Deck
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Opinions are meaningless...specially mine.

What really matters are the facts.

Those too

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.