Who else besides Yoda can absorb/deflect force lightning?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SpyCspider
Ok, so we've seen both Obi-wan and Mace block/deflect force lightning with their sabers but Yoda was the only one who demonstrated the ability to block, absorb, as well as deflect it from Dooku and Palpatine. Who else do you think can do that? Can Mace or Obi-wan do it with prep time? Cuz we did see Yoda get knocked backwards by Palpatine's lightning at the start of their duel but he seemed like he didn't know it was going to happen and that's why he was unprepared.

Is Yoda so many leagues above Mace and other Jedi Masters in the force that he's the only one who can do it with bare hands?

Tulak Hord
One must have knowledge of the skill itself to deflect it. I doubt Obi or Mace could do it, but I think Plo Koon could, since he himself could use the Lightning attack. And did you know Lightning was really a Light Side thing at one time?

PVS
please, all the EU is making me dizzy wacko

Darth_Nefarus
I think Mace could have, but he had his saber already, and Obi-Wan eventually could have, and Luke eventually could.

ShotgunWes
Anakin/Vader probably could. He blocked Han's blaster in ESB and NO ONE else has done that. I know he eventually got killed by lightning in RotJ, but I think he wasn't in a position to block it then. He was just trying to kill the emperor so he could save his son. He didn't care what happened to himself.

proffitt
(Mechanical) Vader cannot block/absorb force lightening due to his artificial limbs. The Ep. III Visual Directory states that because of his mechanical arms/legs, Anakin/Vader can never learn to conjure nor be invulnerable to Sith lightening. The reason he "Must obey" his master (ROTJ) is because, for one, he knows that Palpatine would fry him. IF he had his light saber fried like Yoda's was, then Vader would be at Palps mercy. Just a thought.

ShotgunWes
I meant Anakin/Vader pre-suit. He most likely could.

proffitt
Well, if Anakin had not gotten burned to a crisp, then yes; I think that his dark side powers would have grown to the point that he could have learned to absorb/deflect lightening. He would have most likely gone on to overthrow the Emperor ("Lord Vader will be more powerful than either of us--DS in ROTS).

((The_Anomaly))
Only yoda can, because he is the most powerful Jedi, powerful jedi can use thier sabers to stop it (as we have seen) but only Yoda can use his hands.

anything else is just speculation or EU

chilled monkey
Originally posted by Tulak Hord
One must have knowledge of the skill itself to deflect it. I doubt Obi or Mace could do it, but I think Plo Koon could, since he himself could use the Lightning attack. And did you know Lightning was really a Light Side thing at one time?

I'm curious. How was the lightning a Light Side ability and how did it get to be dark only?

EU I realise, but I'd still like to know.

I'd say any sufficiently powerful Jedi could block the lightning with the Force only. Obi-Wan and Mace could have done it if the circumstances had been different.

ANY Jedi could block it using a lightsabre.

Darth hi
common nobody but yoda has the sheer skill to do that

chilled monkey
Dooku vs Kenobi: Kenobi could block it with his hands, but only with great difficulty and only for a very short time. With his sabre, he could block it easily.

Dooku vs Mace: Same as with Yoda.

Sidious vs Mace. Same as with Dooku vs Kenobi

((The_Anomaly))
Originally posted by chilled monkey
Dooku vs Kenobi: Kenobi could block it with his hands, but only with great difficulty and only for a very short time. With his sabre, he could block it easily.

Dooku vs Mace: Same as with Yoda.

Sidious vs Mace. Same as with Dooku vs Kenobi

where did you get this information from?

chilled monkey
Oh, I'm sorry. That was just my opinion on how it would go. Sorry, I should have been more clear.

SpyCspider
cool, Chilled Monkey. I can see where your'e coming from.
In fact, Mace even had a hard time blocking Palp's lightning with his saber...you saw him clenching and wincing (as well as screaming) when he was deflecting it back. While with Dooku, Obi-wan just lifts up his saber and lets it absorb....and Yoda hardly flinches when he uses his hands to block it. Just goes to show strong Palp's lightning is.

My favorite fight scene is when Palps uses lightning to shock Yoda's saber out of his hands and then Yoda has to concentrate really hard to block it. First he winces in pain and looks like he's about to be toasted, but then the scene zooms in on his face, his look of determination, and he starts to push it back and fry Palpatine, causing the Emperor to scream and get knocked back. Awesome. He is THE Master.

chilled monkey
Thanks. Yes, that scene was really cool.

meets of evil
viva la yoda.

matreid
I think only yoda could. Maybe Obi1.

((The_Anomaly))
well...i think a lot of things too, the fact is that in the movies yoda is the only one we have seen capable of doing it. so yoda is the only one that can.

Darth Travizzle
What's EU stand for, Expanded Universe? And I didn't know Plo Koon could do that.

((The_Anomaly))
yea EU means expanded universe....all the books and whatnot

in EU anyone can do anything, its really stupid..

Cybervader
i think only... those with three fingers can block the lightning.. hahaha.. joking.. It clearly shows yoda's strength and knowledge of the Force. Yoda rocks! rock

obi-wan geynobi
plo koon can do it and yoda thats what i know.

Plo Koon and Yoda rlz

Neo_Version 7
Plo Koon was weird.

I loved playing as him though in Jedi Battles on the PS1.

freemind
Originally posted by proffitt
(Mechanical) Vader cannot block/absorb force lightening due to his artificial limbs. The Ep. III Visual Directory states that because of his mechanical arms/legs, Anakin/Vader can never learn to conjure nor be invulnerable to Sith lightening. The reason he "Must obey" his master (ROTJ) is because, for one, he knows that Palpatine would fry him. IF he had his light saber fried like Yoda's was, then Vader would be at Palps mercy. Just a thought.

Doesn't he have one non-mechanical arm left. Couldn't he absorb/reflect/cast some force lightning with that. Everyone else either absorbed, deflected, or cast it with only one hand.

Neo_Version 7
I think all his arms are mechanical.

Im not sure though...

DeVi| D0do
Yup, Obi-Wan slices Anakin's two legs and remaining arm in one swoop. In the suit both his arms are mechanical.

DeVi| D0do
Anyone with enough knowledge of the Force should be able to do it... Therefore, only Yoda can.

darht dude
cout dooku and palpatiene
eek! eek! eek! eek! eek!

Wickerman
I have no idea if that Plo Koon crap is true or not, but i sincerely doubt it. In the movies, only Yoda can do it, so i'll stick with that. As for Vader's arms, they're all mechanical. Notice how his legs and an arm are cut off. Then he crawls using a mechanical arm...*ding ding*

~wickerman~

General Zodiac
Dooku can deflect lighting with his hands. We saw that at the end of Attack of the Clones when Yoda deflected the lighting back at Dooku and he blocked it with his hand.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.