WinStatKeep.exe

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Trickster
Okay, i just turned on my computer and logged on, then it slowed down to the point of crashing. I checked the Task Manager, and there were about 300 versions of either WinStat.exe, or WinStatKeep.exe running, and they were increasing in number. By the time I hit restart, the number of programs was into 500.

I turned back on, and there's no crazy multiplication and slowing doown of my computer, so I had a quick look online for details on WinStat/Keep.exe. I couldn't find any easy ways to remove it - any help anybody can give me?

I think it's spyware... Is it?

Trickster
Any help forthcoming?

Lana
I've never heard of that before. Update your virus and spyware scanners and run them to see if that'll get rid of it, whatever it is.

yerssot
WinStatKeep.exe is an advertising program. This process monitors your browsing habits and distributes the data back to the author's servers for analysis. This also prompts advertising popups.

Trickster
How do I delete it?

Ken Kenobi
Originally posted by Trickster
How do I delete it?

You should be able to manually remove it by starting Windows in safe modus, delete the the files in Cermprogram files\adwinstat (winstat.exe, winstat.dll, winstatkeep.exe) and clean your registry.
Then reboot normally. After that, run a good spyware program and make sure you have your antivirus program up to date.

Ken Kenobi
You gonna let me know if it worked?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.