Better Discography: Megadeth or Slayer?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Cinemaddiction
Based on the catalogue releases of these two bands, who would you say has released the most important, influential, and best selling metal albums?

My votes goes to Slayer, and with good reason. Slayer more or less set the standard for thrash metal when it was birthed in the early 80's. When "Haunting the Chapel" dropped in 1984, metal as we knew it was changed forever. Although it was a 4 track EP, it went on to include 2 of the heaviest songs of all time, in both music and message. Taking the punk rock message and applying it to absolute trash metal, tracks such as "Chemical Warfare" got across Slayer's opinions anti-war stance, and made sure their presence was felt with the sadistic "Captor of Sin".

In 1985, one of the absolute darkest themed metal albums was released in "Hell Awaits", fast, empirical, and morbid, its inspiration can still be heard in metal today. One year later, we were graced with what is widely accepted as the greatest thrash metal, if not heavy metal album of all time. "Reign in Blood". Its unprecidented track listing now rolls off like a roster of all stars.

Angel Of Death..
Necrophobic...
Altar Of Sacrafice...
Jesus Saves...
Criminally Insane...
Postmortem...
Raining Blood...

..and while their follow up in "South of Heaven" produced two breakout tracks in the title track, and the anti-war cry, "Mandatory Suicide", the album was still of some importance, as metal was undergoing a major overhaul, and glam rock bands were taking top billing.

Becoming more and more comfortable in their own skin, Slayer returned with a vengeance in 1990, bucking the birth of grunge rock, establishing their place in the halls of metal lore with "Seasons in the Abyss". A polished and more mature Slayer rattled off a "RIB" like track listing comprised of "War Ensamble", "Dead Skin Mask", and gut-ripping, groove heavy "Born of Fire" and "Seasons in the Abyss".

Slayer follows up this successful outing with what has been heralded as one of the greatest live sets of all time in "DOA: Decade of Aggression". Music played to perfection, Slayer takes 10 years of their greatest material to the stage and presents it flawlessly. Enter Paul Bostaph for "Divine Intervention" album. This is Slayer at its philosophical and social peak. Very outspoken, Araya helms the "socially aware" metal juggernaut, and goes full steam ahead, blast beats and groove-core galore, taking no prisoners on tracks like "Dittohead", "Killing Fields", and "Serenity in Murder".

"Diabolus in Musica" is the product of a 4 year hiatus for Slayer, save the covers album, and it's a time when metal is at it's lowest peak, which was an otherwise high one for nu-metal. That flavor of the weak wore off on the metal giants, Slayer, Sepultura, Machine Head, and even Fear Factory played follow the leader in 1998, releasing rather luckluster efforts, tainted with the trend.

2001 was the year of retribution. "God Hates Us All" was the bands angriest, most inspired, brutal, doom ridden, truthful and unrelenting album to date. Tracks such as "Warzone", "Payback", "Cast Down". THIS IS SLAYER, this is godly.

..and the rest is history.

cad
cool
cool

Korri
Slayer, I agree.

Df02
although neither are my top 10 bands... Slayer.

Dead Skin Mask, Seasons in the abyss, War Ensemble, Raining Blood, Bloodlines, Stain of mind, Angel of Death, Fight til death

all great songs smile

Deano
i prefer megadeth

SlipknoT
Slayer...they are the best.

nick1811
slayer, hands down

Alpha Centauri
Slayer.

I'd take Reign in Blood over any Megadeth album.

-AC

MetallicaT
Originally posted by Deano
i prefer megadeth

as do i

tabby999
while i do like both bands, i've never been able to take Slayer completely seriously after reading that Tom writes his lyrics using a thesaurus. music = top of the line but i cant take it seriously

RagnaViper
I'll try to keep this as simple as possible.

Slayer has Reign in Blood, easily one of the best metal albums of all time. Megadeth has both Peace Sells... But Who's Buying and Rust in Peace, which are excellent albums but not quite up to Reign in Blood.

Though Slayer has other very good albums (South of Heaven and Show No Mercy), it really ends up in a tie in the long run. Reason being is that Megadeth's two best releases surpass Reign in Blood but evens out with Slayer's other releases.

Cinemaddiction
Two albums can't equate one. If you have to overcompensate to make a singular comparison, then don't even bother.

RagnaViper
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
Two albums can't equate one. If you have to overcompensate to make a singular comparison, then don't even bother.

Yes, but we are including their entire discographies. I just made that as an opening point for my comparison. Stop being an idiot and get the point.

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by RagnaViper
Yes, but we are including their entire discographies. I just made that as an opening point for my comparison. Stop being an idiot and get the point.

I'll only say this once. As a staff member here at KMC, I suggest you lay off harassing me for what you see as idiotic.

Reason being is that Megadeth's two best releases surpass Reign in Blood but evens out with Slayer's other releases.

Right there, you're comparing albums, not entire libraries. There's a distinction when you're singling out records.

Commercially, and popularity wise, Slayer's discography wins hands down.

RagnaViper
OK, I'm not going to post the same thing over again considering you refuse to get my point. I'll just consider this a lost case considering how completely unimportant this conversation is.

But for future reference, King wouldn't have been shit without Dave Mustaine. That's a proven fact.

Cinemaddiction
Now THAT'S some bullshit. I get your "point" fine. You're trying to say that TWO Megadeth albums COMBINED are better than Slayer's best. OF COURSE THEY ARE! Especially if they are Megadeth's two best albums? That's a ****ing moronic, and unequal comparison.

Secondly, that's no proven fact. Lest we forget that it was Musty that tried to sign on King, who moonlighted at Megadeth live shows, because Dave couldn't find a perm guitar player for the band. Then, once Kerry refused to join, Dave was being his usual ***** self during the "Clash of the Titans" tour, ironically referring to Slayer as "a bunch of silly assholes who did nothing but drink beer and act stupid".

Kerry King started Slayer, and he owes absolutely nothing to Dave Mustaine, except an extension of his middle finger.

RagnaViper
It is a proven fact. Now shush punk-person.

Cinemaddiction
laughing out loud

C'mon, man. Prove your "fact". Don't make like Mustaine, shove a needle in your arm, become a walking contradiction, and hope I just go away.

RagnaViper
Prove your fact, then?

Proving Kerry wouldn't be anything without Dave would be off topic. This is about the discography, not talent. Therefore I retract my original statement on King and Mustaine. End discussion on that.

OK, here I go again. Back to the original topic. I'm not gonna say this again so listen up please.
Slayer - Excellent albums
Megadeth - Excellent albums

Slayer - Reign in Blood. The best album out of both artists.
Megadeth - Rust in Peace and Peace Sells... But Who's Buyin'. Great albums but not as good as Reign in Blood.
Slayer - All other releases. Great, but none were as good as Rust in Peace or Peace Sells... But Who's Buyin'.
Megadeth - All other releases. Definitely had a few good ones. They don't match up to the above mentioned other Slayer releases though.

Results (the numbers are just meant as visualizations, no NASA level accuracy here):
Slayer (RIB) +10
Megadeth (RIP & PSBWB) +7 +7 (+14 total for the slow ones)
Slayer (Other) +10
Megadeth (Other) +6

That's basically it. Slayer (+20). Megadeth (+20). There ya go. Equally good discographies. Enjoy.

RagnaViper
laughing out loud

C'mon, man. Prove your "fact". Don't make like Mustaine, shove a needle in your arm, become a walking contradiction, and hope I just go away.

big grin

Patient one, aren't we?

Cinemaddiction
big grin

Patient one, aren't we?

You don't start a war then take a nap.

RagnaViper
Be like Garfield buddy, be like Garfield. laughing

Cinemaddiction
Proving Kerry wouldn't be anything without Dave would be off topic. This is about the discography, not talent. Therefore I retract my original statement on King and Mustaine. End discussion on that.

Eh, you're the one that made the claim, and going off topic obviously didn't stop you before. We're the only ones debating. So, in otherwords, I was right, and there's nothing "factual" about it, other than what you want to believe.

OK, here I go again. Back to the original topic. I'm not gonna say this again so listen up please.
Slayer - Excellent albums
Megadeth - Excellent albums

Slayer - Reign in Blood. The best album out of both artists.
Megadeth - Rust in Peace and Peace Sells... But Who's Buyin'. Great albums but not as good as Reign in Blood.
Slayer - All other releases. Great, but none were as good as Rust in Peace or Peace Sells... But Who's Buyin'.
Megadeth - All other releases. Definitely had a few good ones. They don't match up to the above mentioned other Slayer releases though.

Results (the numbers are just meant as visualizations, no NASA level accuracy here):
Slayer (RIB) +10
Megadeth (RIP & PSBWB) +7 +7 (+14 total for the slow ones)
Slayer (Other) +10
Megadeth (Other) +6

That's basically it. Slayer (+20). Megadeth (+20). There ya go. Equally good discographies. Enjoy.

It's all opinion, anyway, and public opinion will show that Slayer's albums are better by a long shot. Lumping all their albums other than "Reign in Blood", and giving them a collective 10 is ****ing disrespectful to say the least.

Anycrap, I'm through. Some people can't let go of their bias long enough to see what's painfully obvious to pretty much every heavy metal fan in the free world. I'm sure you'll say the same, but as this thread has shown, everyone's a member of the Slaytanic army.

RagnaViper
First of all, I did retract my original statement...

>_>

Anyway, opinions are whatever people want them to be. It doesn't matter to me that you all think Slayer is best. I listened to Slayer with an open mind and I didn't enjoy it. I can respect their musicianship but I would much rather listen to Megadeth than Slayer anyday.

BTW putting all the other Slayer releases at 10 isn't disgraceful. I was just watering it down to keep it simple. Hint hint "no NASA level accuracy here". Whoopsie!

Oh, and I'm glad you're through nit picking at every ****ing thing I said here. Makes things easier for me.

Enjoy listening to your Slayer. Peace.

SlipknoT
Slayer < Megadeth

RagnaViper
Originally posted by SlipknoT
Slayer < Megadeth

And that's your opinion. 'Nuff said.

Cinemaddiction

BTW putting all the other Slayer releases at 10 isn't disgraceful. I was just watering it down to keep it simple.

Yeah. So if I were to say The Beatles' "Abbey Road" was a 10, and the rest of their albums were 10 collectively, just to "water it down", of course, that's not discounting their works. Notice that you went as far as to rate two Megadeth albums to prove your point in your biased opinion.

Real fair logic, there. roll eyes (sarcastic)

But yeah..I'm done. Majority rules, opinion or not.

RagnaViper
Majority rules, opinion or not.

If none of my insight is going to be taken seriously here, then I have no reason to continue debating this music.

Enjoy the takeover of pop music. It's gonna happen if close-mindedness keeps hold over your souls.

Honestly, I was impressed by most of you guys at first. Checking around the forums, I realized you all had taste. Damn good taste at that.

A few of you downright shocked me. One of you, you know who you are, said that Joey Jordison was good but overrated despite his preference of Slipknot. I can't ever recall hearing that from a hard-core Slipknot fan.

Unfortunately, my input doesn't seem to matter at all. I'm just walking into a brick wall of standards. If my opinion doesn't count, what does? Yours? Then what do you have? Conformity. Dull, useless conformity.

You say that it's all opinion anyway, yet you drive my opinion into the ground. Does that mean that majority will always rule and never allow diversity? That's too bad. Now I have to say goodbye because I haven't conformed to the rest of society and should be removed.

Bye. Always rock out. rock

Cinemaddiction
If none of my insight is going to be taken seriously here, then I have no reason to continue debating this music.

Enjoy the takeover of pop music. It's gonna happen if close-mindedness keeps hold over your souls.

Honestly, I was impressed by most of you guys at first. Checking around the forums, I realized you all had taste. Damn good taste at that.

A few of you downright shocked me. One of you, you know who you are, said that Joey Jordison was good but overrated despite his preference of Slipknot. I can't ever recall hearing that from a hard-core Slipknot fan.

Unfortunately, my input doesn't seem to matter at all. I'm just walking into a brick wall of standards. If my opinion doesn't count, what does? Yours? Then what do you have? Conformity. Dull, useless conformity.

You say that it's all opinion anyway, yet you drive my opinion into the ground. Does that mean that majority will always rule and never allow diversity? That's too bad. Now I have to say goodbye because I haven't conformed to the rest of society and should be removed.

Bye. Always rock out. rock

I respect your decision, it's your logic that baffles me. There's just too many outstanding factors for me to take what you say seriously. I admire your tenacity, I really do, but it's all for not in the end. I certainly hope you weren't referring to ME as closeminded, not that anyone's presented themselves as such here, other than yourself by way of your logic, which you may or may not have noticed in the process.

Like I said, your opinion is heard, but when you present too many things as fact, by way of letting your bias speak for you, ignoring common knowledge, that's when it loses validity.

I've gotten waaaaaaay too philosophical for such a silly thread. I think everyone knows where I stand.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.