Insults

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

KharmaDog
There has been alot of talk in different threads recently regarding insults. Whether it is a blatent insult, or a veiled insinuation does it make a difference? What is acceptanble? What constitutes an insult? Is it an insult only if the insulting party meant it that way? Where should you/we draw the line? Do some people get away with more than others?

Lot's of questions if anyone cares to answer or just discuss.

PVS
anyone who would post a thread like this is an idiot.

not really, but just proving a point stick out tongue

that is by all means an insult, but some here seem to think it isnt, just because it wasnt a direct connection. for example "YOU are an idiot".

but thats utter bullshit. an insult is an insult is an insult.
what you MEAN is irrelevant. its how you make others feel through
your attacks that is relevant.

debbiejo
I've only had a couple people insult me, but that's because they were ignorant...I on the other hand have never insulted anybody...AND I for one have admitted when my facts have been wrong. People who stoop to name calling have nothing else to fall back on...and so this is the last resort.

Cinemaddiction
Insults are indeed back-up plans for the insecure. Like opinions, should I ever refer to someone as something negative, I've got a very good reason, with proof.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by PVS

that is by all means an insult, but some here seem to think it isnt, just because it wasnt a direct connection. for example "YOU are an idiot".

Well said, particularly for such a fool as yourself...uh, I mean knowledgeable guy. confused

PVS
stick out tongue

botankus
The only insults I have a problem with is name-calling.

And it's not because I have thin skin. HA! Right.

It's basically what Cory said. It's a backup plan for the insecure. Last resort measures, if you will.

And if you try to combat a name-caller, they will play the "ignorant" card - my biggest pet peeve.

Cinemaddiction
Oh, I can cite plenty of instances where that's happened as of late. His name? How do I go about this without saying it outright..

EVIL

PVS
laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud

WindDancer
Originally posted by PVS

No comment...

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
Oh, I can cite plenty of instances where that's happened as of late. His name? How do I go about this without saying it outright..

EVIL

ROFLMAO laughing laughing laughing

KharmaDog

EVIL

There are others though. The other common defense is the, "I did not so intend that to be insulting. If you were insulted by that then that is your problem not mine."

That's kinda the kicker insult or followup that tries to rub your nose in it while trying to look above it all. Transparent, but used nonetheless.

PVS
Originally posted by WindDancer
No comment...

but that WAS a comment confused

stick out tongue

Alpha Centauri
Gotta love the amount of inspirational power I wield on this site, if indirectly.

Anyway:

All depends on how easily you're insulted.

If I call someone silly, most people (hopefully) would take no notice. Someone ultra sensitive would take that as an insult.

Some things that alot of people deem as insults, aren't insults to me. Vice versa, incase you think I'm speaking from one side. People on this site have called me things that most people here find insulting, I don't because I use them myself.

-AC

Cinemaddiction
/EVIL

Well, hey! mad

If eveyone just treated me NICE i'd be alot less bitchy to everyone! Why do you think I stopped bashing? Cause he asked me NICELY to stop!

/endEVIL

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Gotta love the amount of inspirational power I wield on this site, if indirectly.

Anyway:

All depends on how easily you're insulted.

If I call someone silly, most people (hopefully) would take no notice. Someone ultra sensitive would take that as an insult.

Some things that alot of people deem as insults, aren't insults to me. Vice versa, incase you think I'm speaking from one side. People on this site have called me things that most people here find insulting, I don't because I use them myself.

-AC

..then there's just the truth, the likes of which some of the recipients, myself included, already know. I'm an *******, that's not an insult, and I'm not offended, because there are two distinct KINDS of assholes. Those who are labeled such because they offended someone, and those who offend others because they speak the truth in an attempt to out someone's flaws because they're being contradictory.

I'm the latter, and proud of it.

Clovie
i know it is not exactly insulting..but imo it is the same..you're discussing with someone and when they're gone of arguments thery're just pointing at your spelling.. i know i'm making lots of typos, but i'm sure that if anyone of those ppl was speaking polish they would have made even more confused

debbiejo
Yea, I've noticed that...spelling and grammer.

KharmaDog
Everybody makes spelling and grammar mistakes, it happens, and those who speak english as a second language receive (or should) special dispensation. However, sometimes some people's grammar or spelling is so atrocious that it makes their post nonsensical, incoherent, or just plain annoying. I think Botankus' sig addresses this issue best.

Clovie
of course it is truth. it is very annoying when you don't understand their post coz of the way someone types (eg: that txtlang thing).

but i really don't like it when they're pointing at me cry

lilmisskitten
ARGH !!! the spelling and grammer thing was so annoying !!

either way insults depend on the person you are typing/speaking to if you did a direct in sult like if you called someone a "byiatch" *cough cough big evil* i personally wouldnt be offended because im proud lol

but to someone who is more "insecure" it would seem as a direct insult althought insults are the same thing in itself, the effect of the insult depends on who your talking to, an insult is a insult the effect on the other hand differs on the type of person you talking to

debbiejo
I know when I've been insulted...I know when I've been insulted.Lucy...Peanuts.

Big Evil
Originally posted by lilmisskitten
ARGH !!! the spelling and grammer thing was so annoying !!

either way insults depend on the person you are typing/speaking to if you did a direct in sult like if you called someone a "byiatch" *cough cough big evil* i personally wouldnt be offended because im proud lol

but to someone who is more "insecure" it would seem as a direct insult althought insults are the same thing in itself, the effect of the insult depends on who your talking to, an insult is a insult the effect on the other hand differs on the type of person you talking to
What's the differance between being offended and insulted?

lilmisskitten
Oh and the "text slang" thing differs on what age you are or what crowd live in your area. I do text slang as everyone around me does it therefore i am incoraged to do it where as when first coming here i got completly slated for doing what i thought was acceptable, but apparently not. Then arguments and insults (bringing it back on topic) broke out as i and another kmc meber argued out our opinion where nooone seem to care about our opinon, as we were deemed newbs or n00bs, i dont care, but to saev argument as you can see, im trying to keep everyone happy by typing " coherntly" although it would be quicker to use text talk big grin

lilmisskitten
Originally posted by Big Evil
What's the differance between being offended and insulted?

surely insulted is were you delebratly go to insult someone where as a fleeting comment can offend someone without however meaning to ?

joeykangaroo
Originally posted by lilmisskitten
surely insulted is were you delebratly go to insult someone where as a fleeting comment can offend someone without however meaning to ?
yes

Big Evil
Well then wouldn't it be the other way around?

If you're "offended" by something someone said which means they didn't mean it that way, you have some sort of insecurity in which you yourself need to handle and not be such a bloody wuss..

Where as if you're "insulted" you were blantaly bashed and have every right to be pissed off..

debbiejo

If you're "offended" by something someone said which means they didn't mean it that way, you have some sort of insecurity in which you yourself need to handle and not be such a bloody wuss..

Where as if you're "insulted" you were blantaly bashed and have every right to be pissed off..

I have to agree with this....Some people get offended at anything..It's an insecurity thing.

lilmisskitten

is that just not what i just said ?

PVS
i love how some people give themselves a delusional back door so that they can say whatever they please, insult whoever they please, and then proclaim that it never happened.

lilmisskitten
mhmmmm. while i would just admit it because why ever i said it the must of been a reason

botankus
Originally posted by Clovie
i know it is not exactly insulting..but imo it is the same..you're discussing with someone and when they're gone of arguments thery're just pointing at your spelling.. i know i'm making lots of typos, but i'm sure that if anyone of those ppl was speaking polish they would have made even more confused

Oh yeah? I'll show you who's ignorant, you....you....

thery're

A-ha! Got ya! stick out tongue

Big Evil
Originally posted by PVS
i love how some people give themselves a delusional back door so that they can say whatever they please, insult whoever they please, and then proclaim that it never happened.
Who's denying what now? If that statement was directed towards me, my past insults towards you (Which were very well deserved..) had nothing to do with what me and lilmisskitten were talking about.

Anyways, what part of "Big Evil" don't you get? Were you expecting sunshine and lollypops for posts?

PVS

lilmisskitten
lol......................lollipops

lilmisskitten
(auto quote)[/quickquote

no offense but i can see you doing that soon lol

joeykangaroo
Who's denying what now? If that statement was directed towards me, my past insults towards you (Which were very well deserved..) had nothing to do with what me and lilmisskitten were talking about.

Anyways, what part of "Big Evil" don't you get? Were you expecting sunshine and lollypops for posts?
just because your name is "big evil" (wooooow) doesnt mean you can go round taking to p**s out of everyone

lilmisskitten
Originally posted by joeykangaroo
just because your name is "big evil" (wooooow) doesnt mean you can go round taking to p**s out of everyone

*the piss yes i agree

Bardock42
Originally posted by PVS

I absolutely...yes...even totally disagree with you...if someone is insulted by a comment as you stated it to prove your point they are probably 10 years old and shouldn't be here in teh first place.

PVS
EVIL brain

wink

Bardock42
If someone points out clovies spelling, ewhich by the way is very good, he is just an ******* who doesn't have anything to say (except if it is Ken Kenobi or me ...then its jsut a cheap joke on clovies expenses stick out tongue) ....what I disllike is these "Just turned 13 years girls that think its cool top cut 50" of tghe letters in a word,...., if possible the most important letters" ...arghhh I hate those...

PVS
Originally posted by Bardock42
I absolutely...yes...even totally disagree with you...if someone is insulted by a comment as you stated it to prove your point they are probably 10 years old and shouldn't be here in teh first place.

a comment to 'prove your point' is directed at just that...THE POINT.
to attack another person directly has nothing to do with the point at all.
you are basically declaring that insults dont exist.
so i guess they may as well strike that from the forum rules, right?

Alpha Centauri
I agree on the spelling/grammar notion.

With regards to slang, I use the word 'coz' or 'gonna' etc. It would never get to the point of me using slang or abbreviations that actually take longer than typing the word or phrase.

For example: ROFLMFAO. Why? Why not just 'Hahahahahahahaha'? We all know you're not actually rolling on the floor, laughing your f*cking ass off.

-AC

PVS
you couldnt very well type when rolling on the floor either, so 'rofl' is a blatent lie.

Bardock42
Originally posted by PVS
a comment to 'prove your point' is directed at just that...THE POINT.
to attack another person directly has nothing to do with the point at all.
you are basically declaring that insults dont exist.
so i guess they may as well strike that from the forum rules, right?

Hmm you misunderstood me...I partly blame me...I was refering to your "anyone who would post a thread like this is an idiot." ehich you wanted to use to, well at least underline your point. This maybe has nothing to do with thed topic but it is nothing worse mentioning as an insult..

KharmaDog
Originally posted by PVS
you couldnt very well type when rolling on the floor either, so 'rofl' is a Blatant lie.

"Blatant" even

wink

Bardock42
Originally posted by PVS
you couldnt very well type when rolling on the floor either, so 'rofl' is a blatent lie.

Watch out...Kid Rock is going to enter this thread and say...."Never heard about Laptops.....four more years"

KharmaDog
laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud

PVS
laughing out loud

yeah, well i HAVE a laptop and ive tried rolling on the floor while typing and it usually comes out like "ouygo8iuhlcobashgoaysgvooauv ljxbcvnxj"

so there stick out tongue

Bardock42
Originally posted by PVS
laughing out loud

yeah, well i HAVE a laptop and ive tried rolling on the floor while typing and it usually comes out like "ouygo8iuhlcobashgoaysgvooauv ljxbcvnxj"

so there stick out tongue

HEY, I am not responsible for what Kid Rock say laughing out loud

Bardock42
Hmm this little lol smiley just doesn't fit my view of the world ...

lilmisskitten
lol yeah well i didnt use that exact expression but from what i said before can yuo se my point as i can so , obviously see yours miffed

PVS
oops...almost forgot:

Originally posted by KharmaDog
"Blatant" even
wink

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/PVS/SPELLINGNAZI.gif

stick out tongue

Deano
your all crazy.....

Cinemaddiction
..my past insults towards you (Which were very well deserved..)

Nobody "deserves" to be insulted. There's your first mistake. In your case, I'm not out to insult you, I basically set out to deconstruct you, point out the flaws in your logic, and destroy your defenses to the point where you don't feel as if anything in your cache of quips and quirks will have any effect on me, rendering you helpless.

Simply put, I'm the Magic card that your entire deck can never trump.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Deano
your all crazy.....

NO....It's you're (sp) crazy....spelling..spelling please.

Deano
Originally posted by debbiejo
NO....It's you're (sp) crazy....spelling..spelling please.

people can understand.......

Deano
and thats all that goddamn matters...now respect me stick out tongue

lilmisskitten
Nobody "deserves" to be insulted. There's your first mistake. In your case, I'm not out to insult you, I basically set out to deconstruct you, point out the flaws in your logic, and destroy your defenses to the point where you don't feel as if anything in your cache of quips and quirks will have any effect on me, rendering you helpless.

Simply put, I'm the Magic card that your entire deck can never trump.

i hae to disagree mate some peopel do deserve to be insulted although i can see your point some people are just plain assholes and deserve to be insult through and through Originally posted by Deano
people can understand.......

exactumundo my point earlier

debbiejo
and thats all that goddamn matters...now respect me stick out tongue

Now I feel insulted.

Deano
Now I feel insulted.

id never insult yousmile

debbiejo
id never insult yousmile

big grin

I was pullin your leg you know...

Deano
big grin

I was pullin your leg you know...

dont pull it too hard...my leg hurtssad

Clovie
Originally posted by botankus
Oh yeah? I'll show you who's ignorant, you....you....

A-ha! Got ya! stick out tongue i never claimed to have proper spelling confused
and i'm perfectly aware of the fact i'm making lots of typos, sorry for them confused

Freaky Zeeky
shifty

botankus
i never claimed to have proper spelling confused
and i'm perfectly aware of the fact i'm making lots of typos, sorry for them confused

Come on, Clovie! I was joking off of your statement.

I try not to be TOO mean around here. wink

Clovie
Come on, Clovie! I was joking off of your statement.

I try not to be TOO mean around here. wink i thought so..bag
but still i don't like it when people are pointing at my mistakes cry

Storm
There has been alot of talk in different threads recently regarding insults. Whether it is a blatent insult, or a veiled insinuation does it make a difference? What is acceptanble? What constitutes an insult? Is it an insult only if the insulting party meant it that way? Where should you/we draw the line? Do some people get away with more than others?

Lot's of questions if anyone cares to answer or just discuss.

Imo, such posts cross the line. These are only 2 examples out of what I' ve come across and have read. Similar comments have been expressed by the same members as well as others even after they were warned (more than once). In those cases, I feel a temporary ban would be called for.

KharmaDog
Wow, those are some serious quotes! However, just incase anyone makes the mistake of thinking I had any part of the last two (they might think that as my name is the only one posted)...I didn't.

What forum did those come from Storm?

Bardock42
Wow, those are some serious quotes! However, just incase anyone makes the mistake of thinking I had any part of the last two (they might think that as my name is the only one posted)...I didn't.

Yes...I agree....I thought it kind of makes you look bad.....although of course you are bad....

PVS
as far as spelling goes, i have respect for those who have an occasional misspelling....and WHY you ask? because thats proof that they don't rely on spellcheck smile

Bardock42
Originally posted by PVS
as far as spelling goes, i have respect for those who have an occasional misspelling....and WHY you ask? because thats proof that they don't rely on spellcheck smile

Hmm or that they are human?

Storm

Of course not. I mostly (always) quote the initial point of departure/question when a thread has derailed one way or another and the quotes answer your questions.

KMC.

PVS
Hmm or that they are human?

you missed the point.
spellcheck can make people lazy in that they dont bother
to check their spelling. it can have the same degenerative effect
as cliffs notes does for literature, or calculators for simple mathematics.
its a tool that can aid, but can also be used as a lazy escape.

Bardock42
Originally posted by PVS
you missed the point.
spellcheck can make people lazy in that they dont bother
to check their spelling. it can have the same degenerative effect
as cliffs notes does for literature, or calculators for simple mathematics.
its a tool that can aid, but can also be used as a lazy escape.

Hmm you don't use spellcheck a lot on her?
I don't use it cause I am too lazy...or don't care....but really its much more work to rely on spellcheck...not in Microsoft Word but here on KMC.

PVS
Hmm you don't use spellcheck a lot on her?
I don't use it cause I am too lazy...or don't care....but really its much more work to rely on spellcheck...not in Microsoft Word but here on KMC.

i use it sometimes, when i type really long posts

Bardock42
Originally posted by PVS
i use it sometimes, when i type really long posts

yes but for posts aboot 5 lines long it is just a pain in the ass....you can easier just read it again.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by Storm
KMC.

I figured that storm, I was just wondering if it was in the OTF or one of the other forums on KMC because I don't recall seeing anything like that in the GDF.

I use spellcheck often both because I am dyslexic and a pretty horrible typist. But like PVS said, some typos aren't that bad, some on the other hand look pretty foolish and there is "nothering" you can do about them.

PVS
laughing out loud inleast they try

nothering wrong with that rolling on floor laughing

botankus
there is "nothering" you can do about them.

laughing out loud

Jackie Malfoy
Insults are not needed when debating since everyone has different views on different topics.and to tel you the truth it is alittle imature too to insult or flame someone.JM

botankus
Damn! I really had hoped this last post before mine was in response to the three previous ones and that that particular issue could have been resolved.

KharmaDog
Damn! I really had hoped this last post before mine was in response to the three previous ones and that that particular issue could have been resolved.

I doubt that nothering at all will be said about that issue botankus.

Jackie, underneath your name it says "The Emperior's bodyguard!". you might want to change it to "the Emperor's bodyguard", or you can leave it and do nothering about it. That's be cool too.

FeceMan
I doubt that nothering at all will be said about that issue botankus.

Jackie, underneath your name it says "The Emperior's bodyguard!". you might want to change it to "the Emperor's bodyguard", or you can leave it and do nothering about it. That's be cool too.
Hehe, he keeps saying 'nothering' because JM misspelled it.

Although, once again, I must agree with Jackie...and she actually makes a valid point.

*Runs to the window to see if the Four Horsemen are coming.*

Bardock42
Not becaused she misspelled it but because she always misspells ut....but you are right beside the spelling mistakes she is right....

Commando_164 ST
"I know she may have said that you have a big penis but your mother doesn't count..."

Roflcopter...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.