What is it with...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Flying High
...everyone slagging each others tastes in music....people like different stuff...let them choose what music they like...i like mixtures....i dont care what people think...i just find it frustrating when people keep trying to make me not like the bands...

cad
Originally posted by Flying High
...everyone slagging each others tastes in music....people like different stuff...let them choose what music they like...i like mixtures....i dont care what people think...i just find it frustrating when people keep trying to make me not like the bands... same here i agree on you i think the same when you have people likeing matel and hate normal rock and when you have people into normal rock and dont like metal it is all stupid and they always say to you "you dont deserve to listen to them"and stuff like that. And also you get people on here just diss you because they think you make crap threads but some people like them, its just stupid.

RedAlertv2
Nobody ever gets insulted for liking good bands. People only get insulted for liking really bad bands, because it shows you have bad taste and just listen to whatever MTV tells you to. That is where the insults come.

Alpha Centauri
I don't try to make anyone NOT like a band. I don't try to make anyone like the bands I do.

If someone likes shit bands, I'll say so.

I'm tired of people using the whole "different tastes" theory to cover up that they like shit music.

-AC

dAngEr_Is_gO!
So define for me when a band is considered shit. Is it:

a) When you think the band sucks
b) When most of the people on this board think the band sucks
c) When most of your friends think the band sucks
d) When it is widely thought in the music industry that the band sucks

I like the Dillinger Escape Plan but the vast majority of my friends think they suck. Does this mean the band is shit? I think not, but if majority concensus rules then they must be. So don't be so quick to dismiss personal taste.

Imaginary
Originally posted by RedAlertv2
Nobody ever gets insulted for liking good bands. People only get insulted for liking really bad bands, because it shows you have bad taste and just listen to whatever MTV tells you to. That is where the insults come.

StinkFist462
its a forum. everyone has a different opinion. get used to it. please close. end of discussion.

Victor Von Doom
It's always funny when someone tells someone NOT to say something- surely that's less attractive than being allowed to say anything. It is a discussion board after all- no one cares to read a list of names of bands people like, it's dull. Without disagreement, the board would fizzle out quicker than an Al Snow entrance pop.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by dAngEr_Is_gO!
So define for me when a band is considered shit. Is it:

a) When you think the band sucks
b) When most of the people on this board think the band sucks
c) When most of your friends think the band sucks
d) When it is widely thought in the music industry that the band sucks

It's not any of those particularly. It's a mixture of multiple things. Obviously some are more opinion based that others. For example: Me saying a band makes shit music, however evident, isn't scientifically provable. Me saying a band are technically (in terms of playing) shit, is provable. Since technique is measurable. Me saying a band is shit off the back of their integrity (lack thereof), their attitude toward music or their attitude toward the media, is also provable. There are certain things true artists do and don't do.

Eg: Simple Plan are shit. In most counts, it's able to be proven. Tool are not shit and the only area you can actually stand up and debate in is by saying "They make shit music" . Although I cannot factually prove you wrong, it's as close to fact as being wrong as you can get.

Originally posted by dAngEr_Is_gO!
I like the Dillinger Escape Plan but the vast majority of my friends think they suck. Does this mean the band is shit? I think not, but if majority concensus rules then they must be. So don't be so quick to dismiss personal taste.

No, it means they think they suck. Do they give reasons why? If they don't like the music, as ridiculous as they may seem, you cannot prove them wrong, no matter what they say. If it's about anything else, you can. Because they're not shit in terms of anything else, or anything period.

So don't be so quick to hide behind personal taste.

-AC

nick1811
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I don't try to make anyone NOT like a band. I don't try to make anyone like the bands I do.

If someone likes shit bands, I'll say so.

I'm tired of people using the whole "different tastes" theory to cover up that they like shit music.

-AC

i completely agree

Red Superfly
I'm with AC on this one.

I mean, it's OK to like shitty bands, just as long as you know they aren't amazing.

It's really lame how some people so obviously like a band for all the wrong reasons (ie apperance, how cool their clothes are, who likes them, what a band member has done in their private life etc).

It's just really obvious when someone likes a band for a musical-based reason.

The only reason people say "it's because of different musical tastes" is because thats the last line of defense they can use when in an arguement. It's usually applied to bands with no real artistic merit or style.

When people say "my taste is just different" I say "that's because you can't find anything truly good to say about them, without sounding like a complete idiot".

There are tons of bands I dislike, and I have my reasons, but I never ever say "different tastes" in order to squirm my way out of explaining why I think a band is great.

Flying High
its just that i saw a lot of threads where people are just posting in them to tell them the band is shit....ok i dont mind that like once or twice....but when they reply to everyone that posts in there telling them they're shit....its just annoying...

eggmayo
Originally posted by cad
you have people likeing matel and hate normal rock and when you have people into normal rock and dont like metal it is all stupid
So you just said all metal is stupid. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Flying High
its not an english contest here....

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by Flying High
...everyone slagging each others tastes in music....people like different stuff...let them choose what music they like...i like mixtures....i dont care what people think...i just find it frustrating when people keep trying to make me not like the bands...

We're all music elitists. The sooner you recognize this, the sooner you'll understand. happy

Df02
being an elitist is good, proves you have pride in your music taste... can't do that with shit tastes

jaden101
but this in itself is not really a measure of whether the music is good or not

take Steve Vai for instance...the man is a f*cking wizard on the guitar but his music (since he went all religious) is completely gash

i've seen bands that are pretty average on their chosen instruments but can still write really good songs

and what if someone is technically great on an instrument or mucical style that is shit...like jazz clarinet players

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by jaden101
but this in itself is not really a measure of whether the music is good or not

take Steve Vai for instance...the man is a f*cking wizard on the guitar but his music (since he went all religious) is completely gash

Prizes for who can guess why I highlighted music and technical ability seperate? wink.

Originally posted by jaded101
i've seen bands that are pretty average on their chosen instruments but can still write really good songs

and what if someone is technically great on an instrument or mucical style that is shit...like jazz clarinet players

I covered all this in my post.

-AC

Lana
Hey, my uncle is a jazz sax/clarinet player and he's ****ing awesome. Not my personal style of music I like, but I still can recognize that he's talented. He's fairly popular in Europe. I asked AC and he said he's heard of him.

jaden101
Originally posted by Lana
Hey, my uncle is a jazz sax/clarinet player and he's ****ing awesome. Not my personal style of music I like, but I still can recognize that he's talented. He's fairly popular in Europe. I asked AC and he said he's heard of him.

exactly my point...he can be superb on the clarinet...but i'm still going to say that his music is sh*t because on the whole....clarinet music is sh*t

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Lana

Hahaha.

AC has only heard of who he's told to hear of.

dAngEr_Is_gO!
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
It's not any of those particularly. It's a mixture of multiple things. Obviously some are more opinion based that others. For example: Me saying a band makes shit music, however evident, isn't scientifically provable. Me saying a band are technically (in terms of playing) shit, is provable. Since technique is measurable. Me saying a band is shit off the back of their integrity (lack thereof), their attitude toward music or their attitude toward the media, is also provable. There are certain things true artists do and don't do.

Eg: Simple Plan are shit. In most counts, it's able to be proven. Tool are not shit and the only area you can actually stand up and debate in is by saying "They make shit music" . Although I cannot factually prove you wrong, it's as close to fact as being wrong as you can get.

No, it means they think they suck. Do they give reasons why? If they don't like the music, as ridiculous as they may seem, you cannot prove them wrong, no matter what they say. If it's about anything else, you can. Because they're not shit in terms of anything else, or anything period.

So don't be so quick to hide behind personal taste.

-AC

My point is that it is a bit of a catch 22. As you have rightly pointed out there are tangible means of assessing a bands quality, i.e technical ability, lyrical quality. However on the otherhand if someone thinks a band sux because they don't like the music you can't prove them wrong.
The Dillinger Escape Plan are a perfect example for me personally because my friends simply don't like the music or lyrics. I point out to them how technically accomplished they are as musicians and just how hard it is to write and play like that, but they don't care. At the end of the day they don't like them and I do and it won't change.

knight
Just A Shadow
(Stuart Adamson)

..."It's just a shadow of the people we should be
Like a garden in the forest that the world will never see
You have no thought of answers only questions to be filled
And it feels like hell.

I know there is no need for what's been done
I know there is enough for everyone
Frustration brings a heavy hand to bear
And there never is a hand outside that cares
Still the promise comes of living fit for all
If we only get our back against the wall
I look at backs that pushed the wall for years
Scarred by many knives and too much fear".

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/hot_knight/bigcountry_banner.jpg

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.