Who Should Play The Joker?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheFilmProphet
Without revealing any spoilers the newly released Batman Begins obviosuly opens the doors for the character of Joker to make an appearance in the film's sequel. Now comes the question: Which actor should play the Joker in the sequel?

The following names have been thrown into the mix along with many more.

Lachy Hulme
http://tinypic.com/5zr137

Crispin Glover
http://tinypic.com/5zr1g4

Feel free to throw in any actors you think are suitable for the role as well.

vaya_the_elf
Thats a hard question. Are you sure they will make another movie?

Kieralinn
Crispin Glover...'nough said!

http://www.villainousvamps.com/crispinjoker.jpg

He would be just the right amount of weirdo and creepy the part needs!

Kieralinn
Originally posted by vaya_the_elf

Bale, Oldman and Cain are signed for two more already

NoFate007
Edward Norton maybe?

TheFilmProphet
Originally posted by vaya_the_elf

Yes,

Originally posted by Kieralinn
Crispin Glover...'nough said!

http://www.villainousvamps.com/crispinjoker.jpg

He would be just the right amount of weirdo and creepy the part needs!

Wow, I actually had the exact same picture saved to my comp and was going to post it when I created the thread but I chose a different one instead.

Anyway, he is the best suggestion I have heard thus far and I feel he would fit perfectly into the atmosphere Chrisopher Nolan has created for the films.

Darth Macabre
If only Mark Hamill was taller and younger. He would be perfect in my opinion. I mean when I think of the Joker i think of his voice.

TheFilmProphet
Actually now that you mention it, we created an article today about actors being considered and Mark popped up. Although he isn't very ideal for the role in my opinion, he does have the perfect voice so unless they used his voice in the place of another actor's own then I don't see how he could really be involved.

NoFate007
MH's Joker was absolutely amazing. I consider that better than Nicholson's, which was still really good. That'd be cool if they could get someone to play the role and then dub Hamill's voice over it, without it looking ridiculous and misplaced.

Red Superfly
The bad guy from the first Series of 24.

He's currently in "Revelations".

I just saw him and thought - wow, he looks like a good Joker. Perfect hairline, age, face shape, grin, and can act.

eleveninches
I cant see how they are going to get someone to beat jack nicholsons performance

ApolloX
Jim Carrey

SithSpy
damn i wasnt even thinking Glover would fit as joker till i saw that side by side pic....guess he would be good. I think he would be better as the riddler tho' he could bring a darker, less goofy side of riddler than carey did Hard choice, either way he should play one of the two, the pic in the first post--riddler, the side by side--joker

Darth Jello
Mark hamill, he even looks like the failed comidian who turned into the joker from the killing joke!!!

LordSorgo
Um.... Jack Nicholson was already the Joker. They are not going to redo the sequel, and if they do, so help me god...

TheFilmProphet
Not making much sense LordSorgo,

I still believe that Glover is a good pick for the role of Joker although I'm not entirely sure he has the voice and or the vocal ability for the role. If Willem Dafoe hadn't already played the Green Goblin he would likely make a decent Joker in the next Batman film in my opinion.

http://tinypic.com/64frf8

TMACalicious
I reckon Crispin Glover would make the perfect Joker in future Batman movies. He looks the part.

True if Dafoe didn't do the Green Goblin, he wouldn't be too bad, but don't you think he looks a bit too old, TFP? smile

Not a bad choice though, but I have to go with your very 1st post in this thread, Mr Crispin Glover borg

king_arthur
There can only be one Joker and that is Jack Nicholson.

TMACalicious
That's true as well, Jack Nicholson did an awesome job as the Joker, but I guess it's time to give other actors a chance as well.

Nicholson did a phenomenal job as the Clown Prince of Crime!

TheFilmProphet
Originally posted by TMACalicious
True if Dafoe didn't do the Green Goblin, he wouldn't be too bad, but don't you think he looks a bit too old, TFP? smile

Not a bad choice though, but I have to go with your very 1st post in this thread, Mr Crispin Glover borg

Valid point, even if he hadn't already played the Goblin he would still be a bit too aged for the role.

Nonetheless, I still go with Crispin Glover as I previously stated.

As for Jack, if there is an actor out there who can give a credible and convincing twist on the legendary role of the Joker then I believe it is finally time for Jack to pass on the torch to a predecessor. After all, it has been a lengthy 16 years since we last saw the Joker on the big screen and the numbers will nearly reach 20 by the time a sequel to Batman Begins is released.

Red Superfly
Oh dear.

Nicholson was great and all, but he was playing HIS Joker. That was his take on the character.

Mark Hamill's Joker was better, because he was more genuinely funny and dangerously likable.

Both were great, but to say Nicholsons was the best is crap. He based his Joker off of Romero's anyway, the character isn't TOTALLY his.

Nicholson was great, but I think there would be more than a few budding actors out there who could do an even better job.

And, for the last time, Begins is not a prequel. This is really bugging me as to how people can be so stupid. They will be doing The Joker again. Wasn't it obvious from watching Begins that this is a clean-slate beginning? How can Batman make his first appearance twice? Dear God, we're dealling with a special breed.

Besides, the script from Begins was fantastic, with some great humour. I'm sure the Begins sequel will have a hilarious script for the Joker. I genuinely want to see Hamill's Joker more than Nicholsons, because I always thought the Animated Series Joker deserved his own damn movie anyway.

bakerboy
Lets see, nicholson is too old now for play the joker and he never looked as the joker.

Mark hammil is an excelent voice for the joker, but a bad choice to play the joker in person, because he isnt a great actor and doesnt looks as the joker.

But i like jim carrey or willem dafoe as the joker. Any of them would be great choices.

Red Superfly
I have faith that they'll cast someone.

Carrey and Dafoe are no good. Carrey was The Riddler and Dafoe was the Green Goblin. I doubt anyone would want to keep them so typecast.

There are better unknown actors out there. I still think my choice is this guy:

Michael Massee. (He plays Ira Gaines in Series 1 of 24)

bakerboy
Well, in that way, you are right. Carrey played the riddler and Dafoe the green goblin, maybe an unknowed actor would be better, something like they did with cillian murphy as scarecrow.

Darth_Nefarus
someone mentioned Edward Notron, and I whole heartedly agree!
He would make a fantastic Joker OR Riddler IMHO

NoWare Man
here's a little something to whet your appetites, crispin glover as the joker.

Doc Ock
Jack Nicholson was just so damn good that I can't imagine anyone else in the role of Joker sad

Kieralinn
Originally posted by NoWare Man
here's a little something to whet your appetites, crispin glover as the joker.

He looks so demented....I LOVE it!w00t cool

Just_Joe
Mark Hamil actually did the voice of the Joker in BIRDS OF PREY on the WB!

It was a brief 2 second bit of dialogue where I think he shot Barbara Gordon(or Catwoman, cant remember). The guy playing the joker was mostly standing in the shadows so you couldnt really get a look at his face, but his joker voice was replaced by Mark Hamils voice! smile

I hope thats done in the next Batman flick, but a live action voice over for 120 minutes might not work. erm

TheFilmProphet
Originally posted by Kieralinn
He looks so demented....I LOVE it!w00t cool

Same here, hopefully we will get to see that done on the big screen in the sequel.

The Tater
Could someone manip this for me?

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/castle_rock_entertainment/the_green_mile/sam_rockwell/green.jpg

Leafar
Johhny Depp should play the Joker. If he says no, then go with Crispin Glover. Crispin really is a pyschopath in real life, so he may be difficult to work with. See Depp in the upcoming "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" as a preview of his work as the Joker.

NoWare Man
What do you need done to that pic tater? Maybe I could help.

TheFilmProphet
In my personal opinion, Johnny Depp would a horrible choice to play the Joker.

Kieralinn
Johnny Depp as Joker...nah. He's too good looking.

munkiesarus
Oh...my...gosh. A fan made poster from SomethingAwful. How glorious is that? I would not mind a Joker like this AT ALL.

And just a personal thing: you guys hotlink a lot wink . Try not to do that too much, eh? It's just plain dirty and wrong.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/MunkiesArUs/joker22fy0ha.jpg

NoFate007
Michael Massee...I'll have to look into that...

Dafoe would be a good Joker, probably, but now that he's GG - which I think he fits better, he won't be doing it.

I've never seen Glover act, but just from the looks of him, I don't want it.

I don't know who Lachey Chulme is, and I hate that mustache he has, but he looks like he's got something odd about him that I like.

Depp, no. Depp would be better as Mad Hatter, am I wrong?

I think I was the one who mentioned Norton, but I've gotta see him in makeup first. I have confidence in his acting though.

Sam Rockwell has been mentioned a lot, and although I think he's a great actor, I haven't seen him pull off psychotic yet, so I'm a bit weary.

As for Nicholson and Hamill...Nicholson did great, for THAT movie. I don't think he'd fit in this atmosphere. Hamill has THE Joker voice. His portrayal is awesome...but he doesn't have the look, unfortunately.

Right now, I'd have to say my favorite choices are Edward Norton, Lachey Chulme until I check him out and prove myself wrong, and, if he's a good enough actor to pull it off, Brian C. Bethel from the Grayson video by John Fiorella

mavic19
Crispin Glover is a very quiet man for the most part...but you get him to act crazy...He'll freak you out. He plays kind of a weener in the dog crap of a movie called WILLARD, but he is uber crazy at times. He is an understated actor that, given the opportunity, would pull the role off in spades.

Hell...look a Bale. There were sooooo many who questioned his ability to be Batman. But I think he did perfect. The object here is to pull in someone who isn't a big Hollywood name. Somebody who is not riding on the Hollywood Ego train. Crispin fits that role.

Norton....not without a bunch of prosthetics. I don't question his ability as an actor. But again...we're dealing with a big name actor. I want someone with nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Nicholson...way over the top (even for the Joker).

Dafoe: would've have worked great had he not already done GG as already mentioned. This would be a typecast choice.

I would rather have them pick a second string first rate actor or an up-and-coming nobody than some Hollywood jerk that would ruin it.

NoFate007
That pic is awesome, I'd love to see a Joker like that

tpaquin
Are we sure it's the joker?

I was hoping to see an appropriately-done twoface, first, with the Joker as a minimal presence.

NoFate007
I'd like to see #2 be about Two-Face and with some other cameos and such. Two-Face as the main villain and plot-driver, but I'd like to see him team up with someone small...like....The Clock King or something. Nothing too big or fancy, but just to move the story along. #3 should be all about The Joker though. I think at the end of that, he should meet Dr. Harleen Quinzel.

Impediment
I, myself, would love to see Harvey Dent/Two-Face introduced in the sequel. Two-Face is definitley one of my favorite Bat-Villains, and I think that his kind of psychosis would add a lot to the plot. As far as actors go to fill the role, Harvey "Apollo" Dent needs not only to be young and handsome, but Two-Face is also angry, vile, and extremely volatile. The only actors to cross my mind would have to be Guy Pierce, Thomas Jane (but he has already portrayed The Punisher), and especially Daniel Day Lewis (just watch "Gangs of New York" if you dont see why). And maybe they can set kind an introductory overtone for the Joker for the 3rd film, you know like a little 15-20 minute side plot during the beginning or middle of the second movie. I think the perfect story would be from Alan Moore's The Killing Joke: A failed comedian loses his girlfriend and unborn child, then is coerced by the mob to rob a chemical plant, runs into the Dark Knight, falls into a chemical bath and emerges the Ace of Knaves, the Harlequin of Hate, The Clown Prince of Crime.......The Joker!! Then we dont see anything else of the Joker from the second movie until the third one. I think it'd be perfect! and hopefully we will never see Harly Quinn either. dont get me wrong, i LOVED her in the animated series and comics, but i think her appearance in the movie would take away from Jokers presence.

NoFate007
I don't like the failed comedian bit...I think its better to start him out as just a sadistic psychopath who finds it funny to kill, so he considers himself a comedian.

leowyatt
i'd go with mark hamill he was good in the cartoon series

TheFilmProphet
Originally posted by NoFate007
I don't like the failed comedian bit...I think its better to start him out as just a sadistic psychopath who finds it funny to kill, so he considers himself a comedian.

Well that seems more or less where his character is heading so far as we saw in the last few minutes of BB.

NoFate007
They never mentioned anything about being a failed comedian, I see nothing to prove your point lol

shaber
The Joker lies about his past alot. In the continuum it is uncertain as to whether he even knows himself, because he says he likes to have multiple choice about it.

In BTAS and the Tim Burton film he was an underworld gun for hire whom Batman dealt with by casting in acid at a showdown in Ace Chemical Plant resulting in the criminal being seared in body and mind.

Impediment
I know, I know I got off topic in my last post, but if you want my opinion as to who should portray the Joker, I agree that Crispin Glover has "the look" and all, but I never have seen a performance that could convince of his ability to play a complete psychotic. Now maybe Im going out on a limb here, but I always liked the look of Jason Lee (of Mallrats and Chasing Amy fame). He seems to have a dark side itching to come out. Does anyone disagree?

Impediment
I belive the definitive Joker story is The Killing Joke, and I agree that even though his origin is always changing, cuz maybe the DC execs/writers cant make up their minds, or like you said the Jokers prefers his past to be "multiple choice", the comedian part of his origin is integral to his character and why he does what he does.

TheFilmProphet
They never mentioned anything about being a failed comedian, I see nothing to prove your point lol

I was referring to this part of your message:

"I think its better to start him out as just a sadistic psychopath who finds it funny to kill, so he considers himself a comedian."

I never said anything about a failed comedian, I'm afraid you must have misunderstood me.

NoFate007
Oh, yeah I'm sorry I did.

I think, I guess you do too, that it's so much more evil to start out with a man who just thinks the idea of killing is hilarious, rather than a failed comedian. If you have a failed comedian, I think that makes people think that they SHOULD laugh at least a little bit, and then jokes are gonna be forced out of the plot and stuff. I think the funniest things that help prove how insane The Joker is, are the stuff in the cartoon for the most part, such as:

Joker pulls out a gun, the guy says "hey man, I'm just kidding". He shoots. Its a "BANG" flag gun. He laughs, "So am I". After the man calms down, he fires the gun again, and the flag goes into the man's neck. "Whoops, no I wasn't."

Not only is that hilarious dark comedy, but it also shows that this man is not doing these jokes for a laugh for anybody but himself, and he's so out of it that he finds murder to be the funniest thing of all.

shaber
The concept works best in conjunction with the artificiality of the genre. In the animated RoTJ the antagonist is more iconic than a character, resembling Mr Hyde and Miltonic ideas of what the Devil may be like.

Darth Vegas
Originally posted by Impediment
I know, I know I got off topic in my last post, but if you want my opinion as to who should portray the Joker, I agree that Crispin Glover has "the look" and all, but I never have seen a performance that could convince of his ability to play a complete psychotic. Now maybe Im going out on a limb here, but I always liked the look of Jason Lee (of Mallrats and Chasing Amy fame). He seems to have a dark side itching to come out. Does anyone disagree?

Have you seen Willard or Charlie's Angels?

Impediment
I never have nor will I ever watch Charlie's Angels. As for Willard, all of my friends say that I shouldn't waste my time waching it because it's terrible.

tpaquin
I know, I know I got off topic in my last post, but if you want my opinion as to who should portray the Joker, I agree that Crispin Glover has "the look" and all, but I never have seen a performance that could convince of his ability to play a complete psychotic. Now maybe Im going out on a limb here, but I always liked the look of Jason Lee (of Mallrats and Chasing Amy fame). He seems to have a dark side itching to come out. Does anyone disagree? I really like Jason lee, and his voice, but I just don't see it as appropriate for a criminal mastermind.

b-dan
why are they making a sequil with the joker in it has been done in the first movie with my second fave actor jack nocholson id like to see him play that guy again but why one with him in it

The Tater
Originally posted by b-dan
why are they making a sequil with the joker in it has been done in the first movie with my second fave actor jack nocholson id like to see him play that guy again but why one with him in it
Because this is the start of a new Batman franchise, and therefore The Joker needs to be redone (It cannot be a Batman franchise without The Joker).

The Tater
Originally posted by NoWare Man
What do you need done to that pic tater? Maybe I could help.
Turn him into The Joker.

Thanks.

Kieralinn
Glover was also "Creepy Thin Man" in Charlie's Angels, McFly in Back to the Future and in a great flick called River's Edge with Keanu Reeves and Dennis Hopper, not to mention a nutcase in Wild At Heart with Nicolas Cage, Laura Dern and DeFoe.

Ain't it Cool News has a poll up on who should play the Joker and Glover is winning.

He has played a psycho on MORE than one occassion and done it more than successfully.

TheFilmProphet
Oh, yeah I'm sorry I did.

I think, I guess you do too, that it's so much more evil to start out with a man who just thinks the idea of killing is hilarious, rather than a failed comedian. If you have a failed comedian, I think that makes people think that they SHOULD laugh at least a little bit, and then jokes are gonna be forced out of the plot and stuff. I think the funniest things that help prove how insane The Joker is, are the stuff in the cartoon for the most part, such as:

Joker pulls out a gun, the guy says "hey man, I'm just kidding". He shoots. Its a "BANG" flag gun. He laughs, "So am I". After the man calms down, he fires the gun again, and the flag goes into the man's neck. "Whoops, no I wasn't."

Not only is that hilarious dark comedy, but it also shows that this man is not doing these jokes for a laugh for anybody but himself, and he's so out of it that he finds murder to be the funniest thing of all.

Exactly,

What I was trying to say in my earlier post was that near the end of the film the above mentioned seems like the direction they are headed in with the Joker's character.

Reason being, (BIG spoilers ahead) Gordon explains to Batman how this latest criminal (Joker) committed armed robbery and murdered two people. When Gordon shows Batman the Joker card this shows us the criminal feels absolutely no regard for human life and finds human loss amusing thus the reason he leaves this item behind. Basically this is a type of foreshadowing, letting us know this person's sick and twisted form of humor or comedy.

Joker1237
how can he be the Joker with out well taking the toxic bath yet???.

TheFilmProphet
Well we don't actually know what name they will be using for him in the movie before he becomes the Joker so during my last post there was no other name for me to refer to him as besides, well......the Joker.

With that said, the next Batman Begins movie will take us somewhere before he became the Joker and was just a normal criminal.

Darth Vegas
I never have nor will I ever watch Charlie's Angels. As for Willard, all of my friends say that I shouldn't waste my time waching it because it's terrible.

Then you shouldn't pass him off or pass judgment on him since you've never even seen his work as a psycho.

Impediment
Originally posted by Darth Vegas
Then you shouldn't pass him off or pass judgment on him since you've never even seen his work as a psycho.

I never did pass judgement on Glover or blow him off as a candidate. All I meant was that although I agree he has the look and appearance for a good Joker, I have never seen him in a role that could be comparable to the likes. Nothing more.

TheFilmProphet
A source also tells PageSix.com, "Everyone is in agreement that the movie's strength is with Christian Bale, Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman."

Then adding of Katie Holmes, "She won't be in the sequel... the next romantic interest will be a much stronger actress."

"Warner is happy that people are now focusing on who'll be playing the JOKER rather than Katie and Tom."

-CBM

Mainstream
I thought Katie signed on for 3 films?

TheFilmProphet
Apparently not, and she was just dropped like a (can't think of good phrase).

At least they say they are going to focus on the casting of the Joker now which means they must be giving the role some strong thought already.

Mainstream
Originally posted by TheFilmProphet
Apparently not, and she was just dropped like a (can't think of good phrase).

At least they say they are going to focus on the casting of the Joker now which means they must be giving the role some strong thought already.

dropped like a bad habit.

TheFilmProphet
There you go, now I know who to look to when I can't finish a sentence. stick out tongue

Mainstream
There you go, now I know who to look to when I can't finish a sentence. stick out tongue

yeah that's me

Impediment
Its not that I didn't like Jack Nicholson's performance as the Joker in Batman '89, in fact I loved it. However that particular Joker was, in my opinion, not nearly crazy enough. Sure he was homicidaly kooky and clownish, but in fact it was all to familiar like Caesar Romero's Joker from the campy 60's series. I hate to do my broken record impression, but the two definitve Joker stories are, once again all a matter of opinion, The Killing Joke by Allan Moore and Arkham Asylum by Grant Morrison. These two stories show us that The Joker truly is insane, psychotic, demented, half-cocked, mad, etc............choose any that apply. Basically what my point is is that I want to see a Joker that is also scary and has presence! Someone who can quite possibly induce Coulrophobia in the audience. Agreements? Disagreements?

Kieralinn
A source also tells PageSix.com, "Everyone is in agreement that the movie's strength is with Christian Bale, Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman."

Then adding of Katie Holmes, "She won't be in the sequel... the next romantic interest will be a much stronger actress."

"Warner is happy that people are now focusing on who'll be playing the JOKER rather than Katie and Tom."

-CBM

I heard that WB is really POed about the whole Katie/Tom thing overshadowing the film. That is supposed to have something to do with her being dropped as hard as an opera tenor on a chihuahua. Dropped like a safe on Wiley Coyote? Dropped like an ant covered sandwich on a picinic? stick out tongue (i have way to much time on my hands)

Anyhoo...I don't think there should be a love interest in the next film except for the Brucey Man-ho stuff. They should wait until they are ready to use Catwoman. Bruce doesn't really have that many real love interests in the comics. Plus he always dumps them anyway when things get to serious...Everyone pretty much knows he will never live happily ever after with any woman.

I'm still rooting for Glover. Unless they come up with someone totally unexpected and perfect that we haven't thought of yet.

NoFate007
What would be really, really cool to see, is a cameo by Selina Kyle as the love interest. Some girlfriend he forgot to call or something like that.

Darth Vegas
I think Jude Law would make an interesting Joker.

LousyBoy
Jude Law.... BRILLIANT! Or maybe everybodys fave BOY Johnny Depp!!!

Pshhh

Darth Vegas
I didn't see you didn't leave any original suggestions...

Red Superfly
I am so stoked for the sequel.

I really hope we get to see a different Joker, but Nicholsons Joker will be hard to beat.

Everytime I try and think of how Nicholson GOT IT WRONG, I keep thinking of many more ways in which he GOT IT RIGHT.

Like someone said earlier about Joker committing crimes because he finds it hilarious. He finds murder funny, and only does things to make himself laugh. Nicholson did that a lot. His goons didn't laugh, nobody laughed at The Joker except himself and the audience - which to me indicates Nicholson was even better than we first thought.

Nicholson had it all, admitedly. I don't think, if his Joker is to be out-classed in the sequel, that it will be out-classed by a lot.

In terms of characterisation, Nicholson got it spot on. Sure, his origin was alterred, but as far as the actual character goes, damn, it's gonna be hard to top it.

I think Nicholsons Joker will be subtley tewaked and improved upon, but in order for the NEW Joker to stand out above Nicholsons, we need someone else to play him off apart from Batman. That's why I have a sneaking suspicion that Harley Quinn will make an apperance. It would show a side of the Joker that we haven't seen on screen before, and the chemistry between Harley and Joker would be very interetsting to see.

I mean, Harleen could even be the love interest for Bruce before she sides with Joker. Longshot I know, but would make it interesting.

Joker gets locked up, Harleen gets dumped by Bruce. Both of them meet up, and in 3 we see the pair in full swing.

We know that Begins was rich, the sequel would have to try to outdo it.

Joker1237
Dont like the ideal of Bruce ahd Harley hooking up.

TheFilmProphet
"Got a new name to add into the mix for The Joker in the Batman Begins sequel: Paul Bettany. Bettany joins Lachy Hulme and Crispin Glover in the mix to play The Crown Prince of Crime. The same source who passed along Bettany's name informed us that there is "no truth" behind Mark Hamill being up for the role. He also told us that Mr. Hamill is "a little old" for this new take on The Joker. Mr. Hamill is in his mid-fifties I believe."

LINK

http://tinypic.com/68yflt

Zenoside
Jim Carrey!

I mean he'd get the funny parts and the laugh all down striaght!
Have you seen him do Riddler? It was great!

Carrey would make and awesome Joker.

NoFate007
Carrey...nah

Kieralinn
Carrey is WAY WAY too over the top to do a decent Joker. Batman Begins and the sequels are very dark films (or will be). Joker needs to be psychotic and creepy. Like in the comics/graphic novels. That's what they went for in Begins and will keep. Carrey was fine for a Schumacher production but not for an adult/dark batman. NOT AT ALL!

TheFilmProphet
According to a source over at AICN, actor Sean Penn may be taking on the role of the infamous Batman villain known as the Joker.

"Over here in Blighty's 'Now' magazine (celebrity tat), there's a potentially interesting story regarding a story that's crept out from the Batman Begins premiere party. According to the reporter, a drunken Christian Bale revealed that Chris Nolan is courting Sean Penn to play the Joker in the next Batman film. However there's still some finessing to do because Sean's apparently unsure about 'taking' his buddy, Jack Nicholson's, role. Could be guff but it's another potential to add to the list."

LINK

http://tinypic.com/6dqvls

Joker1237
he needs to lose the mastach.

Doc Ock
I think Sean Penn would be a fantastic Joker.

Superfly4000
I know he's already been in a movie, but Jim carrey would be a great Joker!

Joker1237
I dont agree with Carrey, He lacks that FEAT the
Joker has, and Carrey can not be as creepy as the Joker. His Riddler was 2 over the TOP even for the riddler or Joker.

Doc Ock
Carey would be useless as the Joker.

DeVi| D0do
Sean Penn is a humourless b*tch.

Doc Ock
Know him personally do you??? stick out tongue

DeVi| D0do
I don't need to know him personally... did you see him at the Oscars? stick out tongue

I think he could do a good Joker though.

How about the rumours of Guy Pearce as Two Face? Is there a thread on this? confused

NoFate007
I don't believe in this Sean Penn stuff. If it happened at the premiere, wouldn't this have surfaced beforehand?

TheFilmProphet
The main source isn't too reliable, given that plus the fact that AICN isn't too reliable at times either means it could be false. I'm just the messenger though, I have no choice but to report the news.

TheFilmProphet
Manip of Crispin Glover as the Joker.

http://tinypic.com/6f7dsp

SOURCE

NoFate007
I don't like Glover as The Joker. Can anyone do a manip of Lachey Chulme w/o mustache, Paul Bettany and Sean Penn w/o mustache? What about Sam Rockwell and Edward Norton?

DarkAge
It's not like Jim Carrey isn't capable of dramatic acting. He did a good job as Andy Kaufman in Man on the Moon, and Kaufman and the Joker are psychologically similar in many ways.

WindDancer
All bets are on Crispin, Mark, and Lachy. Personally Glover would be perfect but for second choice I go with Jeremy Irons:

http://www.cinemamontreal.com/images/people-456-jeremyirons.jpg

sweetness
I heard they were thinking of getting Sean Penn to play Joker yes

TheFilmProphet
Actor Vincent Cassel has emerged as front-runner to play the villainous 'Joker' in the upcoming "BATMAN BEGINS" sequel, now being fast-tracked by Warner Bros. Pictures for a 2006 start, according to a studio insider.

"Cassel has the aquiline 'Joker' look as well as the 'genre' film experience," noted the source.

The actor is 6' 2" and 39 years old.

http://image-hosting.olnevhost.net/images/2379-012_vincentcassel_oceans12pr.jpg

LINK

NoFate007
I googled a few more pics, but I still don't see him as it either...

xmarksthespot
Whoever they cast Jack Nicholson was, is and will still be the Joker in my mind.

Darth Jello
compromise: sean penn plays the joker, but hamill overdubs his voice post transformation

DarkAge
They dubbed with Hamill's voice in Birds of Prey, but I don't know how well it worked because the bastards cancelled it and I never saw it.

Myth
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Whoever they cast Jack Nicholson was, is and will still be the Joker in my mind.

Agreed. He looked too old then to be Joker but pulled it off, so why not do it again? j/k

How about Steve Buscemi? He's a little short for it but he has a narrow face and he plays nut-jobs a lot.

TheFilmProphet
Actor Christian Bale spoke to MTV about the Joker possibly being included in a sequel to the successful Batman Begins movie and how he feels about the infamous character.

"I want to see the Joker, because I think it will be a very different kind of Joker than people have seen before," he said. "I think even the card that you see at the end of the movie shows that it is a darker, more sinister-looking Joker than anything I have seen depicted before. I think it would be a good adversary."

LINK

Mainstream
Joker cool .....a twisted killer clown

b-dan
Originally posted by king_arthur
There can only be one Joker and that is Jack Nicholson. i agree just get him to do it again he was lawyas older than batman anywaysbut i would really like the scarecrow to retrune

The Joker#1
Sean Penn is a good choice

Joker1237
GREAT, the only thing ones need is other Joker Fan lol.

Altar[1stONE]
Originally posted by Joker1237
how can he be the Joker with out well taking the toxic bath yet???.

hello! how many flash backs were there in batman begins. Im sure they will show it . What about vincent gallo as the joker lmao. I think glover was born to play the part.

NoFate007
Just because he leaves the joker card doesn't mean he's already fallen in the acid. Its a calling card, cause he thinks killing is funny, its all a joke to him.

TheFilmProphet
Exactly,

TheFilmProphet
Adrien Brody?

http://tinypic.com/6qg07s http://tinypic.com/6qg08x

sevenman
Robin Williams

Myth
How about Joe Viterelli for Joker?

http://www.warnerbros.fr/movies/mafiablues/about/img/viterelli.jpg

TheFilmProphet
Very amusing, roll eyes (sarcastic)

NoFate007
Wow, I forgot about Brody...he might be good

TheFilmProphet
True, it actually hadn't occurred to me until someone on the CBM boards suggested it. Adrien Brody has delivered great performances in the past winning an Academy Award and displaying somewhat of a crazy side of himself in the Village. He also seems to have some of the facial features required along with an appropriate physique that resembles that of the Joker. Crispin Glover and Brody are my two and only choices to play the role of the Joker thus far.

Wickerman
Originally posted by b-dan
i agree just get him to do it again he was lawyas older than batman anywaysbut i would really like the scarecrow to retrune

I'm just gonna "break all the rules" here and say that i wasn't a big fan of how Jack Nicholson portrayed the joker. His acting is very good, but IMO it wasn't what was needed for the joker. He had awesome lines, but that's not because of Jack Nicholson. Jack Nicholson also had a crappy body IMO for the Joker. He was too old, too fat, and not nearly "graceful" enough if you get my drift. He didn't have the right nose, and the make-up used on him looked like crap. The only thing he got right were the jokes....and even then there was just something wrong about the voice. Hamill is the obvious best choice for voice IMO, but an entire movie with voice-over simply wouldn't work. Now that i'm done bashing Nicholson, lemme add my little piece of thought:

- Glover has the insanity part down, has the right physionomy (sp?), and is perfect in fits of rage. However, i think the character would be lacking in the "jokes" part. He'd be the opposite of nicholson. Nicholson - funny but not dark enough, Glover - dark but not funny enough.

- Sean Penn....well, he did an excellent job in Mystic River, but again, i'm not sure about the "joke" part. he COULD do it, but he might come out looking like someone trying really really hard to do something someone else would do with ease.

- Ed Norton would look like a transvestite .....really......He's an AWESOME actor, and i loved him in every movie i've seen him in. He was feckin INCREDIBLE in Fight Club, and that part where he loses his temper and beats the crap out of the blond dude (knocking all his teeth out) was VERY joker-like......but i just don't think he has the looks for a Joker. Not to mention if they go with the "Jack Napier" background, he'd prolly make a crappy gun for hire.

- Jude Law is also an awesome actor. One of his best roles, in Road of Perdition was awesome, and also very joker-esque. I think he'd make an excellent candidate if he buffed up a bit.

- Joe Viterelli droolio

As for the rest of the actors mentioned, i don't know them well enough to comment. Thanks for reading this...if you did.

~wickerman~

tpaquin
I think that Christian Bale should play the joker, and stop kidding around.

http://ia.imdb.com/media/imdb/01/I/21/07/12m.jpg

NoFate007
http://www.nunoprod.altervista.org/html/film/joker/cast.htm

Check out the pic of Rockwell there....He looks a bit odd, because the pic doesn't look dark enough and stuff...but I'm starting to think I'd want Glover or him to play The Joker.

Myth
I don't think Rockwell looks at all like Joker.

Wickerman

Check out the pic of Rockwell there....He looks a bit odd, because the pic doesn't look dark enough and stuff...but I'm starting to think I'd want Glover or him to play The Joker.

He always tries waaay too hard....and IMO his voice is just crappy....not good enough for the joker......i dunno, but i don't like him as the Joker.

~wickerman~

tpaquin

Check out the pic of Rockwell there....He looks a bit odd, because the pic doesn't look dark enough and stuff...but I'm starting to think I'd want Glover or him to play The Joker. Ok...some of those are SO absurd that it makes me cry.

NoFate007
Oh yeah the casting on that thing is stupid, but I'm just talking about Rockwell

cameron666
I am thinking Adrien Brody or Crispen clover. Either them or an unknown actor.

TheFilmProphet
Originally posted by cameron666
I am thinking Adrien Brody or Crispen clover.

Exactly my thoughts.

The Joker#1
I wish people would stop suggesting George Mc Fly.

He doesn't have what it takes to be the true clown prince of crime.

TheFilmProphet
Originally posted by The Joker#1
I wish people would stop suggesting George Mc Fly.

His name is Crispin Glover and I sincerely doubt you have any better suggestions.

The Joker#1
His name is Crispin Glover and I sincerely doubt you have any better suggestions.

Oh shut your stupid face.I'll call him what I want.

And I have much better suggestions than George Mc Fly laughing

TheFilmProphet
Oh shut your stupid face.I'll call him what I want.

And I have much better suggestions than George Mc Fly laughing

I wouldn't recommend calling other members names and its deeply unappreciated.

Such as.....

The Joker#1
I wouldn't recommend calling other members names and its deeply unappreciated.

Such as.....

Then don't come in here and act like a condesending git making assumptions about me got it???

You want to hear my suggestions?? Here you go:

-Sean Penn (Great actor)
-Tim Roth
-Vincent Cassel

TheFilmProphet
Then don't come in here and act like a condesending git making assumptions about me got it???

You want to hear my suggestions?? Here you go:

-Sean Penn (Great actor)
-Tim Roth
-Vincent Cassel

Again with the name calling.....I'm growing very tired of your improper behavior towards me. Assumptions about you? I merely expressed doubt no more than you did with my suggestion of Glover.

As for your suggestions, perhaps more questionable than mine.

The Joker#1
Go ahead and question them all you like.I certainly question Mc Fly as Joker.

SpyCspider
well, I didn't think McFly could pull of the Thin Man from Charlie's Angels but he did it quite well. Give a decent actor some good directing and I'm sure he can adapt to the part. Glover's got that sorta greasy maniacal look. Add green hair, white powder, and a hugeass red smile and I'd be afraid of him.

cameron666
Here is the best I can do with Glover as joker.

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/862/crispinjoker9wr.jpg

Wickerman
Originally posted by cameron666
Here is the best I can do with Glover as joker.

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/862/crispinjoker9wr.jpg

That pic has already been altered earlier in the thread. Check it out.

~wickerman~

monstermind
A very dark and intense actor when called upon. For a reference of his portrayal of a madman watch "Max" where he plays a young Hitler opposite John Cusack.

Kieralinn
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/simonpimpernel/c434f3a4.jpg

vvvrulz
The Joker there looks far too serious, don't forget this guy is supposed to be completely off his rocker.

NoFate007
Can anyone do a good manip of Tim Roth?

Obi-wan2005
how about sean penn or edward norton manips of joker?

vvvrulz
Eddie Norton wouldnt do a bad job, he has no trouble fitting demanding roles.

NoFate007
There are manips of both of them on this board.

Harvey Dent
I'd like to see #2 be about Two-Face and with some other cameos and such. Two-Face as the main villain and plot-driver, but I'd like to see him team up with someone small...like....The Clock King or something. Nothing too big or fancy, but just to move the story along. #3 should be all about The Joker though. I think at the end of that, he should meet Dr. Harleen Quinzel.

Are you serious?! I DO NOT WANT VILLAINS THROWN IN WITH EACH OTHER.

That would be a mess of a movie. LOL, Clock King, was only meant as a animated series villain. I DO NOT WANT TO SEE HIM IN A MOVIE.

You are basically saying you want a batman & robin all over again.

You have the same attitude as Joel Schumacher with those decisions.

It would be WAY better to build a harvey dent/bruce wayne relationship in the 2nd as a side story to go along with the joker angle. in the 3rd have Batman duke it out with Two-Face.

Harvey Dent
Originally posted by Zenoside
Jim Carrey!

I mean he'd get the funny parts and the laugh all down striaght!
Have you seen him do Riddler? It was great!

Carrey would make and awesome Joker.

OH MY GOODNESS.

You thought Carrey was great as the RIDDLER? I guess you don't know who the riddler is to begin with.

If you like something that Joel Schumacher did, then you like bad batman movies.

Anyone with knowledge of Batman would know that Carrey would not be a good choice.

Darth Infidus
Why not James Marsters? He was pretty funny as Spike in Buffy.

Darth Infidus
Some one try to manipulate a JM pick to look like the joker.

NoFate007
Originally posted by Harvey Dent
Are you serious?! I DO NOT WANT VILLAINS THROWN IN WITH EACH OTHER.

That would be a mess of a movie. LOL, Clock King, was only meant as a animated series villain. I DO NOT WANT TO SEE HIM IN A MOVIE.

You are basically saying you want a batman & robin all over again.

You have the same attitude as Joel Schumacher with those decisions.

It would be WAY better to build a harvey dent/bruce wayne relationship in the 2nd as a side story to go along with the joker angle. in the 3rd have Batman duke it out with Two-Face.

Ahem, count the villains in Batman Begins....2....count the villains in Batman Returns...3....I rest my point.

One of the things that really surprises me about some people is how they think that multiple villains = crappy film. Stupidity at its finest. Wanna know why the Batman series got cut short? Schumacher making it campy and having horrible scripts, bad casting, and everything else, NOT the fact that there's 2 villains. I won't even begin to argue this stupid point that you've brought up, I'm not in the mood for it not to get through a thick skull.

Kieralinn
You both have good points. I like the idea of Harvey being Harvey the first time he is there and becoming friends with Bruce to add to the emotional depth of the transformation into Two-face. I loved the small scene in the Fugitive/Murderer arc when the one book was all about Bruce's day. From the morning at Wayne Enterprises through to when he is Batman at night. The scene showed Two-face in his cell, sitting over a chess board and looking at his watch. It's 5 to midnight and you see Harvey move his piece. The exchange goes like this:

Harvey: "Pawn to C-3"
Then over his shoulder he hears "Knight to B-4"
Harvey looks to the window and says: "HMM. Hoping to put my Queen en prise?"
Batman is looking through the small window of his cell: "You'll find out tomorrow night, Harvey."
In the next panel Batman is gone and Harvey is concentrating on the chess board.

I love that exchange because it shows Bruce's compassion for his once friend and that they still are on some level friends and always will be. I hope they explore that friendship in the next film before he becomes Two-face. It would make a scene like that great!! Not to mention how they did the 1st Two-face ep of B:TAS. They had them friends on the series prior to that happening. I hope they do it right.

As for having 2 villians means "Batman & Robin"....that was all Schumacher! "Returns" DID have 3, though Selena/Catwoman was more a vengence plot against Schrek, and I love that movie. So let's put the blame where blame is due. SCHUMACHER, Bat-nipples, script, art direction, etc. Not the amount of villians.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>