Can someone please explain this to me?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TrAnCeDuO
i recently heard of the law of conservation of energy. To me this law makes no sense since it states that energy cannot be created or destroyed. Okay ill admit, im not so good at science but can anybody please explain all this in a simple manner that ill understand?

Morning_Glory
i dont know

Tptmanno1
Ok It BASICLY says,
Matter cannot be created or destroyed, only transfered via energy.
Or something like that
It gets WAY more complex, but thats about it

TrAnCeDuO
what about plasma cutters? is that not matter they are creating? or blow torches?

dark1365
Originally posted by TrAnCeDuO
i recently heard of the law of conservation of energy. To me this law makes no sense since it states that energy cannot be created or destroyed. Okay ill admit, im not so good at science but can anybody please explain all this in a simple manner that ill understand?
It can only be transferred. Energy is always present, but in different forms and quantities.

TrAnCeDuO
yet they havent said anything wether it can dissipate or not or be destroyed. i mean think about...theoretically if a greater or equal force collided with another wouldnt it be destroyed or eventually come to a stop?

dark1365
what do you mean, like a oil tanker colliding with a sedan head on?

The huge forward force of the tanker would transfer to the sedan, while the sedan transferrs its smaller forward force to the tanker. The tanker recives the smaller force and therefore slows down a bit. However, the huge force of the tanker would cause the forward momentum of the sedan to decrease, causing stress and finally smashing the sedan to a pulp.

TrAnCeDuO
yeah so wouldnt inertia and all other energy involved be right then and there be destroyed?

Tptmanno1
(I think I was explaining conservation of matter... slightly related)

But not really, its just transfered...
Take a car crash.
the first car car hits another one (parked),
the first car stops, but the other one goes flying down the street.
Thats because the first car transfered all its energy into the other car.

Mist
the energy isnt destroyed...it is used for other sources, like heat, sound, motion etc.

if you say energy is destroyed, it implies that whatever energy was around, is suddenly lost. cant happen.

E.M.Howlett
what about plasma cutters? is that not matter they are creating? or blow torches?

Torches take energy by destroying some molecules (O,C...). Fire can't appear in vacuum where it has no sourse of energy.
After destruction of the molecules the free energe transferes into the light and warmness.

wink

Darth Revan
Energy, like matter, cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred between objects. Like for example, with matter, the food a person eats is converted into muscle, organs, bones and so forth, then when they die, the matter from their bodies is used up by plants and etc... Or when you burn something, it doesn't go away forever, it's just broken down partially. A lot of times it looks like matter or energy "disappears," but it really doesn't, it just goes somewhere else.

Darth Revan
yet they havent said anything wether it can dissipate or not or be destroyed. i mean think about...theoretically if a greater or equal force collided with another wouldnt it be destroyed or eventually come to a stop?

Yes, but only here on Earth, where we have friction. Friction is inescapable except in a vacuum. In a vacuum it would keep going forever. Newton's Laws, man. wink

Bardock42
The thing is energy gets transfered....to heat or kinetic energy or something.
Its basically rather simple...oh and its right believe it.

eggmayo
Look at a light bulb, some energy is used as light, which dissipates into the room (i think) and some dissipates as heat.

mechmoggy
It's a hard one to grasp, but all you've got to remember is that energy doesn't disappear, it merely changes form.

Fire
I think it's pretty easy to accept that energy can't be destroyed. as everyone said it just changes place and form

BackFire
I can explain this too you.

If X=7 and R =13, then by default T = 45.6

Now, if T = 45.6, then energy = 28. How, seeing as 28 is a multiple of 4, it is logical to assume that energy can't be destroyed because the number 4 totally kicks ass.

mechmoggy
28....errr.....45.6.....4......carry the 1.....errr....yes.

Couldn't have explained it better myself. thumb up

BackFire
Hurrah!

mechmoggy
That's settled then.

Closing...

wink

Victor Von Doom
Think of it like one of those things- whose name I forget- where you drop a metal ball and they continue to tick back and forth. Energy is always moved on to something else, even in being used. If energy is released as heat, the things it heats then contain the energy. When those objects cool, the heat is being released to the surrounding environment.

dave123
It just means you can't create energy, you can only change it from one form to another.

Nor can you destroy energy.

jaden101
trust me...you don't even want to begin a discussion about the subject of energetics and thermodynamics as the laws of entropy and enthalpy and how activation energy and enviroments effect transfers etc

just dont...bad idea

Imaginary
Originally posted by dave123
It just means you can't create energy, you can only change it from one form to another.

Nor can you destroy energy.

And that, is seventh grade science wink

qubit
I think one source of confusion is the thought that force is energy. It's not. Force is energy at work.

When a truck is hurtling down the road, it has kinetic energy. The combustion engine translates the energy stored in fuel into torque which turns the wheels and makes the truck go. Some of the energy escapes into the environment in the form of heat from the combustion engine, and chemical reactions which produce the fumes. Some more of that energy is being transfered through friction of the tires on the road which results in heat.

When the truck strikes another car or a wall, that kinetic energy is transfered to the wall or the object. When the truck gets smashed and crumpled, the energy is transfered into all the countless forces that cause metal to bend and tear and glass to shatter and fly. Bending metal is work and gives off heat. Flying debris contains kinetic energy.

The heat given off by the truck while running, and the heat generated during impact, and the heat given off when the gas tank ruptures and causes a catastrophic explosion don't disappear but contribute to the phenomenon known as global warming.

skiiboyz342
i can help all u scientific strugglers with this matter of opinion question if u will allow me to seldomly explain.....

skiiboyz342
it is actually quit simple the law of conservation of energy is the rubbing of any electrical conductors to make sparks or smoke there simple

SaTsuJiN
Originally posted by BackFire
I can explain this too you.

If X=7 and R =13, then by default T = 45.6

Now, if T = 45.6, then energy = 28. How, seeing as 28 is a multiple of 4, it is logical to assume that energy can't be destroyed because the number 4 totally kicks ass. rofl laughing

Bicnarok

whirlysplat
Basically in simplest tems what you put in you have to get outbig grin one way or anotherbig grin

Dagons Blade
Originally posted by DarkCanadian
what do you mean, like a oil tanker colliding with a sedan head on?

The huge forward force of the tanker would transfer to the sedan, while the sedan transferrs its smaller forward force to the tanker. The tanker recives the smaller force and therefore slows down a bit. However, the huge force of the tanker would cause the forward momentum of the sedan to decrease, causing stress and finally smashing the sedan to a pulp.

Hey, it always worked that way in the Burnout series...

Or simpler yet..the last thing that goes thru a cat's mind when he's hit by a truck is his ass..3000 pounds goes over 9 or 10 pounds with nothing left over. As long as we were talking about running things over here. wink

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.