Has horror movies went down-hill?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

LeAtHerRFace
Alot of recent horror movies seem to have went down in class compared to its preceders.

Day of the Dead looks like the only decent horror movie to come out in a while sad

BackFire
You mean Land of the Dead?

Actually, I think the quality of horror films is on the rise as of late, High Tension, 28 Days Later, Land of the Dead (presumably), House of 1000 Corpses, all are pretty solid horror films.

For once, the future looks pretty bright for horror films.

Zilverz
event horrizon and Dawn of the Dead remake were also quality horror

papabeard
As well as those mentioned above, I also enjoyed Saw, Shaun of the Dead, Ringu, Ju-on and Dark Water

BREN
u mean has horror gone downhill ?,well if ur talkin day of the dead that was made in 1985,and there has been shit loads a great horror movies since then ,infact way too many to list here so id say no it hasnt gone downhill

eggmayo
I think the thread means past few years, three at most.
I think Haute Tension was 2000?

LeAtHerRFace
Originally posted by BREN
u mean has horror gone downhill ?,well if ur talkin day of the dead that was made in 1985,and there has been shit loads a great horror movies since then ,infact way too many to list here so id say no it hasnt gone downhill

error i meant Land Of The Dead laughing out loud

LeAtHerRFace
Originally posted by BackFire
You mean Land of the Dead?

Actually, I think the quality of horror films is on the rise as of late, High Tension, 28 Days Later, Land of the Dead (presumably), House of 1000 Corpses, all are pretty solid horror films.

For once, the future looks pretty bright for horror films.

Thanks for correcting me.. yes Land of the Dead.

i agree 28days was a work of art and a great movie... but, I just say the majority is going down hill. Havent seen high tension or house of 1000 corpse though erm

Wolfie
I've been refraining from buying House of 1000 Corpses 'cause I remember everybody here saying it sucked.

Though there have been a few great horrors as of late, they're still downhill from the classics. With the good horrors that BF mentioned, there are a lot of crappy ones that unbalance the genre for the worse.

DaRk Lotus
yes horror movies have gone down ever since 95' but then again what can you expect from hollywood since all they do is recycle the same plots over and over again.

long live canada and british comedy.

Evil Dead
perhaps it's not the majority.........perhaps what you are watching are the crappy pg-13 mainstream kiddie flicks. Ofcourse The Ring, The Grudge and other tripe are not on par with the horror flicks of yester-year..........stop going to blockbuster, search the web for smaller/independent horror releases......order the dvds......or get netflix (they usually have everything, even the obscure) so you can check out the good stuff. Don't be reduced to watching Sarah Michelle Gellar movies and pass judgement on the current state of the horror genre simply because the mainstream studios/media want you to watch films made by Scoobi-Doo alumni.

kmcdude
I thought ''Creep'' and Hide and seek was ok

LeAtHerRFace
Originally posted by Evil Dead
perhaps it's not the majority.........perhaps what you are watching are the crappy pg-13 mainstream kiddie flicks. Ofcourse The Ring, The Grudge and other tripe are not on par with the horror flicks of yester-year..........stop going to blockbuster, search the web for smaller/independent horror releases......order the dvds......or get netflix (they usually have everything, even the obscure) so you can check out the good stuff. Don't be reduced to watching Sarah Michelle Gellar movies and pass judgement on the current state of the horror genre simply because the mainstream studios/media want you to watch films made by Scoobi-Doo alumni.

well, thanks for accusing... and i thought grudge and the ring sucked. i do have netflix and i probably have seen more movies than u... so i suggest YOU go jack off and start watching some real horror besides Barney and your Mom

kmcdude
Originally posted by LeAtHerRFace
well, thanks for accusing... and i thought grudge and the ring sucked. i do have netflix and i probably have seen more movies than u... so i suggest YOU go jack off and start watching some real horror besides Barney and your Mom

laughing laughing out loud laughing

Evil Dead
^^^

bahaahaaa

nice.........in a lame, sophomoric......child like sort of way.......

shaber
And the Ring's idea has been done innumerable times - almost the exact same story was written by an ancient Roman author (can anyone remember who?)

MildPossession
Whoever mentioned, Haute Tension actually came out in 2003.

ragesRemorse
Findind a good horror movie has always been looking for a diamond in the rough. We get 10 bad ones for every good one.

Wolfie
Originally posted by LeAtHerRFace
Well, I didn't see the point of this at all. ED wasn't being rude or anything to you. It's true that in recent years, it's the independent horrors that end up being much better than the multi-million dollar ones in theaters.

papabeard
We'll see after this years slew of summer horror movies

Zilverz
Originally posted by Wolfie
I've been refraining from buying House of 1000 Corpses 'cause I remember everybody here saying it sucked.

wolfie please dont be discouraged. I thought House of 1000 Corpses was awesome. Rob Z truly achieved a creepy azz feel to the movie. It truly is a gem in my eyes. What better time to checking the film out, since the sequel is coming to us soon.

BaronOBeefDip
I'm not sure whether or not horror movies have gone downhill. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the future holds us and whether the films that have come out in the past few years will stand up to the test of time.

beta-wolf_101
Horror movies aren't going downhill its just that there are more people with money then with artistic vision which is true in all genres not just horror, so this means that the crappy movies a clustered together but just wait and a good one comes along like Last House on the Left or Halloween. ninja shifty zorro smart wacko

Cinemaddiction
I think that Independent Horror has jumpstarted the genre. Mainstream Horror will always be the same, but as of late, there have been some fantastic diamonds in the rough.

So, no, Horror is on the up and up, IMO.

LeAtHerRFace
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
Findind a good horror movie has always been looking for a diamond in the rough. We get 10 bad ones for every good one.

yes well maybe not 1in10... maybe 1in5

kmcdude
Wrong turn was probally the best new horror movie

LeAtHerRFace
I enjoyed 28days later and Amityville Horror(remake)

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by kmcdude
Wrong turn was probally the best new horror movie

blink

MildPossession
Wrong Turn was interesting and decent, but in my opinion not one of the best.

BackFire
Wrong Turn was generic in every sense of the word.

kmcdude
I thought it was cool

LeAtHerRFace
Cinema and BF awesome sigs!!! eek!

Wolfie
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
blink
Exactly my reaction.

kmcdude
Originally posted by Wolfie
Exactly my reaction.

sad I honestly thought wrong turn was a LOT betta than most of the horror coming out

seed of chucky(comedy)

Jason x(enough said)

Jeeper's shitter's 2(title says it all)

Tcm remake(what the **** for?)

Wolfie
I liked Jason X and the TCM remake. I never cared to see either of the Jeepers Creepers movies. Seed of Chucky, I've yet to see.

I found Wrong Turn to be a bad copy of the original TCM. Not to mention a lot of cheesiness in it.

kmcdude
I still think it is better than a lot of recent horror...........but no pun,that's just my opinion wink

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.