what do you think of this painting?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Deano
http://www.1st-art-gallery.com/artists/leonardo_da_vinci/last_supper.jpg
notice anythin odd about it?

Magee
Can't say I do, but I don't even know what it's supposed to be about. Please do Enlighten me big grin

Morning_Glory
all perpective lines point towards Jesus??

Deano
jesus at his last supper

but there is one person that is there that shoundnt be and an object that should be there but isnt
oh and plus there is a hand thats holding a dagger..the hand doesnt seem to belong to anyone.....

Deano
this is a painting by leonardo da vinci by the way
i should of mentioned that earlierbig grin

Morning_Glory
yea i know eat

Morning_Glory
didnt Da Vinci put himself into the painting

Deano
nah

Deano
the last supper is supposed to consist of 13 men

Morning_Glory
so who is the extra person...

G.P
I've seen it in Milano last summer....Actually I've got a whole little book about it right here....

Is it related to the character that has three feet ?

Deano
look closely at the person next to jesus's right hand

Magee
Originally posted by Deano
jesus at his last supper

but there is one person that is there that shoundnt be and an object that should be there but isnt
oh and plus there is a hand thats holding a dagger..the hand doesnt seem to belong to anyone..... If you look at it the hand belongs to the person in blue with white hair. But at a glance it just looks like its sticking out of no where...

*Georgina_A*
look closely at the person next to jesus's right hand

He's the only one without a beard eek!

Edit: Actually, he's not embarrasment

Magee
Holy shit is there two jesus's in the picture? confused

Deano
nah it is a women next to jesus....mary

Magee
nah it is a women next to jesus....mary wow she looks a lot like him lol.

So whats the big deal? Just tell us.

Morning_Glory
no its not.. just now read about it sawyer and it isnt mary

G.P
No

Edit: That is John.

*Georgina_A*
nah it is a women next to jesus....mary

I thought it was a woman...then I was like "nah" lol.

Morning_Glory
Fact: Mary Magdalene wasn't listed among those at the table in any of the four Gospels.

Yes, she was present during the Last Supper, according to Biblical accounts.

Her role, however, was a minor supporting one. She wiped feet.

In terms of this fresco, it doesn't matter if she was "written out" of being at the table. *If* she was omitted (on purpose or otherwise) it doesn't matter when or by whom. For whatever reason, the fact is she wasn't among the Thirteen Who Supped according to Gospel accounts - which were the only basis upon which an artist could compose a visual work of the Last Supper in an historical context, at that time. (All of the eyewitnesses are long dead, folks.)

reading

Deano
Originally posted by Morning_Glory
no its not.. just now read about it sawyer and it isnt mary

from one source..other sources claim otherwise
just dependswhat u wanna believe
da vinci was known to be a prankster..maybe put the woman in there on purpose

and plus..where is the holy grail?

Deano
Fact: Mary Magdalene wasn't listed among those at the table in any of the four Gospels.

In terms of this fresco, it doesn't matter if she was "written out" of being at the table. *If* she was omitted (on purpose or otherwise) it doesn't matter when or by whom. For whatever reason, the fact is she wasn't among the Thirteen Who Supped according to Gospel accounts - which were the only basis upon which an artist could compose a visual work of the Last Supper in an historical context, at that time. (All of the eyewitnesses are long dead, folks.)

reading

i know she wasnt meant to be at the last supper
im just sayin the painting depicts that she is

Morning_Glory
yea ... the holy grail is missing as well...blah

Morning_Glory
and there is a "V" in there as well for "vinci" or something

yerssot
so we established you read The Da Vinci Code... good... do you have an actual source to base yourself upon besides "it looks like this or that" or is this a conspiracy to make us believe this or that?

Deano
the 'V' is meant to be a symbol representing femininity

and jesus and mary are meant to form a M with the shape of there bodys which means that the person is mary....so ive read

Deano
Originally posted by yerssot
so we established you read The Da Vinci Code... good... do you have an actual source to base yourself upon besides "it looks like this or that" or is this a conspiracy to make us believe this or that?

not a conspiracy
i just like the painting
its intriguing
check google..loads of info regarding the painting
stop busting my balls

Morning_Glory
ok......... sleeping

G.P
http://www.protestantismeetimages.com/publicite/img/PubCene.jpg
A recent commercial from here, made considering this character is actually Mary-M.

yerssot
there is one of star wars too GP ... can't seem to find it though

not a conspiracy
i just like the painting
its intriguing
check google..loads of info regarding the painting
stop busting my balls
you'll find lots of things if you look too deep into everything

G.P
there is one of star wars too GP ... can't seem to find it though
Except that this one was a giant ad displayed in Paris and was forbidden by a court.

yerssot
oh you and your details stick out tongue

PVS
its rumored that mary magdelane was the 13th apostle and was written in as a whore because paul hated her...or was very sexist. supposedly she had her own gospel which was stricken from the new testament.

i dont believe or not believe this, but i do know that many respected historians accept this as a valid theory.

i really dont see the point of this thread. i see 12 apostles and jesus...wtf is the mystery here?

GCG
12 Apostles + Jesus = 13 messed

Bishop X
http://www.giantmag.com/images/issue05/1280x1024_starwars.jpg

smile

Bishop X
Mmm... no Artoo.

*Georgina_A*
Originally posted by Bishop X
Mmm... no Artoo.

He's there in front of C-3PO huh

G.P
oh you and your details stick out tongue Not really. When you look at the SW pic it's a total nonsense; the only thing that mattered when this pic was drawn was to put some SW characters in a certain situation. It's not an homage, nor something significant...even the timeline isn't taken into account.

Bishop X
Originally posted by *Georgina_A*
He's there in front of C-3PO huh

Oops my bad. embarrasment

SlipknoT
Hahaha

Morning_Glory
Originally posted by G.P
http://www.protestantismeetimages.com/publicite/img/PubCene.jpg
A recent commercial from here, made considering this character is actually Mary-M.

thats interesting eat

GCG
My notions on that GP:

A table with no legs
And the humans in that pic are sitting on air.

baracustastic
hmmmmmmmmmm.......

this thread, another thread about historical sources and their accuracy with some natter from Dan Brown...........

Dean's been reading "The Da Vinci Code".

Sigh..........

edit: just read the whole thread and notice what I wrote has been mentioned.

Speaking as a non-christian I find conspiracy theories regarding what is IMO a work of fiction (the bible) highly amusing. Not to mention that the basis of Dean's latest offering is also fiction. Fantastic stuff.

Deano
Originally posted by baracustastic
hmmmmmmmmmm.......

this thread, another thread about historical sources and their accuracy with some natter from Dan Brown...........

Dean's been reading "The Da Vinci Code".

Sigh..........

edit: just read the whole thread and notice what I wrote has been mentioned.

Speaking as a non-christian I find conspiracy theories regarding what is IMO a work of fiction (the bible) highly amusing. Not to mention that the basis of Dean's latest offering is also fiction. Fantastic stuff.

it is fantastic yes....

GCG
The shape of the grail is speculative.....it ranges from a shallow bowl to a cup.

Imaginary
My first thought while reading the preview:

"Oh man, not this again!"

Deano
Originally posted by Imaginary
My first thought while reading the preview:

"Oh man, not this again!"

you must be very proud of yourself

Imaginary
diva

no expression

§P0oONY
I read that book, interesting but mainly fiction, some of the stuff makes sense but I watched a program about it and there was no evidence...

Interesting read though. Got me thinking

genius
Originally posted by GCG
12 Apostles + Jesus = 13 messed

The thirteenth disciple was Matthias, he was chosen by the remaining 11 after Judas fell away.

GCG
I thought we were discussing that picture............perhaps I misunderstood.

debbiejo
I read it too....And I always thought one of those guys looked like a woman...the dagger was interesting too...My friend had the painting and never noticed it...We just stood there and counted arms... laughing out loud

Bardock42
I t looks like a woman....but so does the guy three places to the right (from our point ov view) and that wouldn't mean anything either because Da Vinci didn't know what happen so whatever.......

AdventChild
i've seen better...

yerssot
Originally posted by G.P
Not really. When you look at the SW pic it's a total nonsense; the only thing that mattered when this pic was drawn was to put some SW characters in a certain situation. It's not an homage, nor something significant...even the timeline isn't taken into account.
I find your lack of Star Wars cheering disturbing stick out tongue

Bardock42
Who said that...I beat em up...that is a great SW pic.....just see it as a pic at ANH Mace of course Maul weren't older cause they were dead but the rest is accurate.

Actually really really cool..oh and on the place Deano claims is a woman there is Leia in the pic...just funny stick out tongue

whirlysplat

silver_tears
Supposedly Mary Magdalene eek!
Someone's been reading the Da Vinci Code

mechmoggy
I think I'd be pissed off, a farewell supper of bread rolls and no booze. Pssssh! roll eyes (sarcastic)

In fact if you look closely, that's what all the commotion is probably about, "Jesus! where's the fookin ale?".

Darth Revan
I've read the Da Vinci Code and everything, but I just noticed something else... There's another feminine-looking person in the painting, to the opposite side of Jesus as Mary Magdalene who I don't think was mentioned in the book? confused

silver_tears
I think the one in red is more feminine looking than supposed Mary Magdalene thumb up

Darth Revan
I dunno, personally I think the person dressed in blue's facial features look more feminine, could be just me though.

mechmoggy
I'll tell you what is highly suspect...

...that those two trestles at either end could hold a table top of that length without bowing. What utter tosh. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Storm
oh and plus there is a hand thats holding a dagger..the hand doesnt seem to belong to anyone.....
In clearer reproductions, it is seen to be Peter' s right hand, resting against his hip with the wrist turned inward.

mr.smiley

reading

Mary Magdalene had her own gospel.It was found in Nag Hammadi.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.